Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
asouth32

Default After being on the Here to Help program for a year...

I have been on the program for a year next month and I was wondering will I be able to reapply for another year?We are still struggling and between 280 a month for doctors visits and the cost of medication, I dont see me being able to afford full price medication. I cant even afford the doctors vists. How does the methadone therapy work?Do i have to go everyday? Do I get a month supply? How does that work? I mean if I have to swap therapies or whatever, I can NOT relapse. It is Fed up that its cheaper to be a junkie, it costed me 50 a month for my doctors visit and then whatever my script costed but I went to the ER's like mad. HELP!!!!!
asouth32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi asouth, the Here to Help program is supposed to be for one year only. But please read tlg's post on how she got approved for a second year:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=27085

You'd have to call a methadone clinic to see how they work. Generally you would have to go every day until you 'earn' doses to take home, there's probably counseling at them also. Read up on methadone to make sure you know everything about it before starting it. Here are some pros and cons:
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=21

You could start a thread in the main forum and ask others their experiences with methadone:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...splay.php?f=47

Sit down and talk with your doctor to see if there is anything they can do to help you with the cost. As I posted in answer to you in the How much do you pay? thread, Suboxone is a Schedule III medication and doctors can write up to 5 refills on the prescription. There's also generic Subutex, which is less expensive than Suboxone, but a lot of doctors won't prescribe that.

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
asouth32

They NEVER write refills. NEVER I have begged for them to cut the cost of a monthly visit. She will not do that. I pay 280 a month for a visit, and my meds without the card are over 550.00 a month. This month is my last visit for the here to help program to pay for medication.Doctor wont prescribe Subutex because I aint pregnant.
If there is some type of documentation that I might could take into show her that she can write it for more than a month, but the thing is once the med program kicks out then Im screwed there.
Husband told me that I shouldnt go through the methadone therapy because alot of folks get more hooked to that than the Subs.
Unread 07-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi asouth32, that's really a shame that they won't work with you either by writing -tex or refills. Don't forget to ask her if she can help you so you can get another free year of medication.

Here's a link showing that bupe is a Schedule III medication:
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/index.html

Schedule III Controlled Substances
Substances in this schedule have a potential for abuse less than substances in schedules I or II and abuse may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.

Examples of schedule III narcotics include combination products containing less than 15 milligrams of hydrocodone per dosage unit (Vicodin®) and products containing not more than 90 milligrams of codeine per dosage unit (Tylenol with codeine®). Also included are buprenorphine products (Suboxone® and Subutex®) used to treat opioid addiction.
Examples of schedule III non-narcotics include benzphetamine (Didrex®), phendimetrazine, ketamine, and anabolic steroids such as oxandrolone (Oxandrin®).

Here's a link showing that 5 refills can be written for Schedule III meds:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21...06/1306_22.htm
(a) No prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule III or IV shall be filled or refilled more than six months after the date on which such prescription was issued. No prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule III or IV authorized to be refilled may be refilled more than five times.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
asouth32

I found out that my program runs out on the 17th of September. They will not reapprove me for another year, I asked them. I am going to have to find something else to do. If I still go to the doctor after this next visit, she is either going to have to switch me to tablets or Subutex. Or Im going to have to stop treatment altogether. I think that I could wean off, but sometimes that itch bothers me and I dont want to mess up what I have done so far.My script without the card is 554 bucks a month, I cant afford that at all. Maybe 100 a month but not 550. She doesnt want to write me subutex because IM not pregnant.SO Looking for whatever hope or help out there that you guys can give. Let me know what or who I can call or print or whatever I can do to help out some. Thanks so much guys, 13 months and clean. I wanna make it more.
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi asouth, please give this thread a read - tlg was able to get another year of free meds with her doctor's help:

You could also think about trying to find a doctor who is willing to prescribe -tex. Here are different ways to find treatment:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259

What dose are you currently taking?

Nancy
Unread 08-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
asouth32

Well she has me currently on 24mg a day but I dont take that much. We went ahead and upped me to three a day incase I needed it, it wouldnt be another mound of paperwork. We had to write in how much I was on and etc. I normally take about 8-12mg a day depending on the days stress honestly. It seems like the more stress, the more that I have tot ake. She wont prescribe anything nerve pill wise that would keep me from taking more Sub. I would have to go to my PCP for that, and I honestly hate to get hooked on something else. But ya know I think after being on this for a year, I dont think addiction would be so fast. I am going to have and try to taper off unless she will scribe me Subutex but I dont see that happening. She might write me enough to get my program reapproved, but the dude on the phone told me no they dont reapprove people. I mean I will talk to her and see if she can help me get reapproved, but my luck Im guessing it wont happen. The husband wont allow me to do methadone treatment,hes afraid that I will be more inclined to take other opiates. I told him that I would do well regardless because Im not that junky addictive person anymore,but he worries and I understand that.
Unread 08-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi asouth, you should really take the same amount of Suboxone every day. What you're doing by taking more on days when you have more stress is self-medicating. You need to learn ways to deal with your stress rather than reaching for a pill. Think about seeing a therapist to learn new ways to deal with stress. You could also check with your local hospital to see if they have any free stress reduction groups you could attend. It seems like until you learn how to handle your stress without reaching for a pill, then you're really not ready to taper off. How much extra Suboxone do you have if you've been taking less than you've been prescribed to taper off with if you have to.

Think about printing out tlg's post and giving it to your doctor at your next appointment so she can see that it is possible to extend your free meds for another year.

Let us know how it goes.

Nancy
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Renee01

asouth32, Nancy is right. This medication has to be taken with much respect. It needs to be taken everyday, and the same amount, at least until it's time to lower and then taper your dose.
You also stated you weren't that "junky addictive person anymore." I have to disagree with that statement. We will always be addicts. It's not something that goes away, like an infection. It's just that we have medication to help us, and during this time, we have plenty of work to do, like find out what our triggers are, and why we became this way in the first place. The medication is only an aid. The real work is in our heads.
Renee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
asouth32

Well what I mean is that Im not the stay in bed all day, looking for my next fix junky addictive personality.I have came a long way in my head, if you guys were around me day after day you would see that because my family sees that as well.I am down to one a day, might have to have another piece if I go to having nervous thoughts. When I say a piece, probably 2mg at most.I think that I am doing exceptionally well compared to where I was a year ago at this time. I have had 2 ER visits due to sickness and my foot (planar fascitis) which I thought something else was wrong and they have offered me pain medicine both times and I turned it down. Any other time, I would have took it and begged for more.
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #11
Renee01

asouth32, sounds like you're doing well! I agree, I was that patient who "needed" opiates for everything, from a paper cut, to cramps, to headache, to, well, you know the drill. And then of course I would "lose" them and need a refill. So thankful for this medication. It's changed the way I live. My family tells me everyday how nice it is to have me "back." Congratulations on your recovery, asouth!
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #12
Renee01

Btw, what did you figure your dose is on a daily basis? I lowered myself to 8mgs from 12 and didn't feel a difference. But when I don't take it, the muscle aches, yawning and fatigue hit me QUICK.
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
asouth32

My daily dose can range anywhere from 8-12mg, but i try to maintain at 8mg. I was the same way, I had to have opiates for everything even when I had diarrhea because they would constipate me...Yeah I know....Oh yes one month I gave the excuse that they were in my pocket and fell into the toilet and since they were covered in poop, I wouldnt get them out of the toilet.I have made up excuses for it all. You would have thought when the doctor at the ER came in and asked if I was addicted to painkillers, that would have stopped me or made me think but it never did. It didnt even slow me down.I should have tried to stay around 16mg but I have to taper down some, because my doctor wasnt there today. I had to see another doctor because mine is on maternity leave. I asked him about writing a month of Subutex until we can possibly get me back on that program. He said well people are getting high off of those and we dont give them unless you are pregnant. I told him, well I have always been completely honest with my doctor and I think its ridiculous not to give them to a person who is trying their best to figure something out to do.
Cramps though, I have to say that I honestly think I have the worlds worst cramps. I have always thought that I might have Endometriosis but since one doctor is taking everything that I can rake and scrape, I will never know.
They have me to the point where I just want to sleep them off.My last menstrual period I just slept through most of it, I have a good month and a bad month. I asked the doctor there today if he would write me a letter and he said that my actual doctor would have to do it, so I dont know what to do there.
Unread 09-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #14
Renee01

asouth32, in the last several years my cramps have become more and more painful, to the point i am in tears. Becasue of the opiate in subutex, that is the ONLY relief I can get, and most of the time it isn't enough. I am 44, definitely NOT pregnant, and my sub doc put me on them right away. Don't know why. Maybe because I wasn't an IV user. I have two bad knees. I mean VERY bad. Yesterday, my left kneecap came OUT to the side of my leg becasue I turned and bumped it slightly on my sister's "childproof" gate in her house. I went down with a loud shrill. Today the pain is great and there is tons of fluid around it. So sucks! I want to take something BAD, but nothing would work anyway, so why bother. Anyhow, hope you get the subutex! Glad you are doing well!
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
asouth32

Oh my goodness hun, you need to get that checked out. I would have a hard time too not taking something but the Suboxone opiate does help and yes I feel a little better during that time but I only take 1-2mg for the cramp pain. I have told them time and time again, look I am only wanting it to make it cheaper for me when the program runs out if they wont reapprove me. I have ALWAYS been honest with them about EVERYTHING. I mean EVERYTHING. I asked her once because my husband does smoke a joint once in awhile for gout, (its natural and its better for him than anything manmade) if a trace of it showed up would they take my strips away? Shocked look on her face, she said I have never had anyone be as honest as you are, but no since you have told me we are fine. A trace is one thing, she said because you can be in the same room with someone and a trace show up, she said when its a ALOT that is when we have a problem.
I cant understand why they wont go on and give em to me if this program runs out, I never once lied to any of them I also was never a IV user, I never snorted pills, I just took em by mouth by the handfulls.Maybe if I plead and beg, I can get a month of them to get by until we figure out something.Thanks guys!!
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
Renee01

asouth32, I'm not a pot smoker, but my doctor is also a medical marijuana doctor. I didn't realize how fortunate I was to find him. He is literally 10 minutes down the street from me. He his kind and compassionate, but also forthright and expects you to follow the rules. Between my doctor and meds, we pay 238.00 a month. Two hundred of that goes to my doc and my script is only 38.00 dollars a month at 12mgs. I took myself down to 8mgs so I can start "stocking up" and hope and pray that I can start and maintain a taper one day without paying that money. Don't get me wrong, its money well spent, and he deserves it, BUT we are only living on my husbands workmens comp, so this is a HUGE dent in our income..that also brings a lot of guilt for me too.
Gosh, I really hope things work out for you! I get my script at Costco pharmacy, (you do not have to be a member to use pharmacy.) Like I said, 38.00 a month, not too bad. Let us know PLEASE!
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

Hi asouth32, I saw you posted this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asouth32 View Post
I wish smoking more was the only side effect that I have. I sweat so much when I take mine if I go out, I look like I ran myself through a car wash. I sweat so much now that I have to pack one of those little battery powered fans. I had one lady come up to me pat me on the back, and say I know, hot flashes. Two thoughts came into my mind, Do i look that old? and No just sweating from the medication. I do smoke alot more than I used to, but I honestly would rather smoke than go back to any type of painkiller. I still sit and worry what is gonna happen if I have to be in surgery or something like that though.
How long have you had the sweating? Some people find that it lessens as time goes on or if they reduce their dose.

Since you're prescribed 24mg a day, but take 8 to 12 (which could add to the sweating), do you have enough saved up to get you through a few months in case you need to wait for your doctor to get back from maternity leave or do get the free meds approved again?

Please take a look at this link:
http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinic...=list&state=ky
It's for free/low-cost clinics in Kentucky. Maybe you can find one near you and get checked out to see if you have endometriosis.

Hope that's helpful.

Nancy
Unread 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
asouth32

I have enough to get me to the 9th of October. I have no money, and when i say I have no money I have 8.55 on a paypal card. That is it, I have no freaking idea how Im gonna pay for this months doctors visit. If I call and reschedule, they wont allow it. They will give me some excuse that they arent allowed to reschedule appointments anymore just like they arent allowed to take phone payments anymore. I swear that is what they told me at the front desk.Heaven forbid that the bulldogs at the front desk have to use their arms more than what they expect to in a days time......
I cant get them to accept a half month payment, I cant get them to do anything but look at me like Im dirt or lower than dirt. They are the cheapest in my area, I called today and found one at 350 and another at 400....I pay 280 a month, I need help but who do I go to get help? Mom wont go another month and my dad wont speak to me, told me that if I got off my dead ass I wouldnt be in the shape that Im in (junkie).....
No idea what to do,,,,,I know that I can pay it back if I got a loan from someone its just that it takes me a little bit of time.Oh well,fourteen months for nothing
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Hi asouth32, have you called the 211 referral line to see if there's anything they know of. Also check with your city/town/county/state health departments or drug and alcohol division to see if there's anything there.

Does your husband know anyone you can borrow the money from?

Nancy
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
asouth32

Nope husbands family are druggies and wouldnt give you air in a jug if you needed it.I would go into details but lets just put it this way....His aunt had a yardsale to sell the stuff out of our storage...She bought the storage wouldnt loan us the 200 that we needed to keep it up instead spent 800 for it and wouldnt even speak to him when he got there
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
amber.4.14.11

Asouth,,,,,,,,,

have you tried just filing out another patient assistance program application??????

that's what Im doing, next month.
Just complete it and fax it in, like a did a lil over a year ago and see what happens. The docotor wants to write me a letter but says, maybe we shouldn't bring it up that I was already on it once.

anyways, I was just wondering what was going on with that.
I guess they made a bunch of changes, now with the program????
good luck
amber.4.14.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
asouth32

I dont have another application. Do I just call and have them mail me one? Im not so worried with the meds because if I have to buy a couple at a time until the program kicks back in again that is ok. Im more concerned with getting to the appointment this month. I dont know what I am going to do. We cant even get a paycheck loan because we are so broke we dont have a checking account and when you only draw 344 a month, how could you pay it back before the next one fell due anyways?
I know I could pay the appointment back,but it just takes me sometime because I have been selling stuff around the house to make some extra money like old clothes and such.
I always pay back what someone loans me, I have been working on paying back my mother not only have I given her money but I have been going and cleaning house when I can and I am looking for work everywhere that I go.
I will call them in the morning and see if they will send out another application.
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
amber.4.14.11

Thats what I would do!!!! or I think you actually have to have the doctor call first,,,, so they can verify they dont have three patients on it already.
something like that.
My "plan" expires at the end of this month, and my doctor told me if I wait about a month, the other girl he has one on it, will be expired too.
He thinks my 'chances' will be better then.
I dont know......
Fingers crossed, thats for sure!!!!!! (for you too)
amber.4.14.11 is offline   Reply With Quote