Addiction Survivors

Unread 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
benn11

Default Does Suboxone dry out after opening?

I am currently prescribed to take one and one half 8mg strips of the suboxone film. I put the remaining piece back into the packet and put it in a ziplock bag. I was wondering if this will keep it fresh? And if so how long does it keep after being opened?
benn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
TIM

Keeping the film from absorbing moisture (humidity) and becoming sticky is probably more of a concern. Also, once opened it is no longer child safe. What we suggest is to place unused sections of film in an old tablet bottle with a childproof top. (your pharmacist should give you one if you ask) You could also keep a silica gel pack in the container to help keep it dry. Then store the bottle in a cool dark place, preferably under lock and key.
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
lysirae

I was wondering the same thing..but i was also wondering about the cracks in them..i have gotten some suboxone that has no cracks and isnt broken they look bright orange and fresh and then ive gotten some that when i open them they are cracked in half or falling apart..does that mean they are old?
lysirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
TIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysirae View Post
I was wondering the same thing..but i was also wondering about the cracks in them..i have gotten some suboxone that has no cracks and isnt broken they look bright orange and fresh and then ive gotten some that when i open them they are cracked in half or falling apart..does that mean they are old?
No. If they are cracked when opened, it's a function of the manufacturing process, not age. Once packaged, and kept cool and sealed the product should be stable. If they are manufactured with a slightly high moisture content, the film can stick to the packaging and torn when the packet is twisted or bent, maybe even in the packaging process itself.
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysirae View Post
Hi lysirae, this thread might be of interest to you:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=26868

Especially this from Post #33 where Janie got a response back from the manufacturer about the broken film.

"Since late May there has been an increase in the normal pattern of customer complaint reports fore fractured or broken Suboxone film strips. Reckitt Benckiser has brought this condition to the attention of our manufacturer and they performed an extensive investigation. They are taking the necessary action to make correction to prevent reoccurrences of this nature. Please return any unusable strips to your pharmacy. The pharmacy should then contact the Medical Information Unit. We will make arrangements for reimbursement for the pharmacy for the cost of the medication if they will replace the film strips for you. Please ask the pharmacist to contact the Medical Information Unit at 877-782-6966. The Medical Information Unit is available from 9 AM to 6:45 PM (EST)."

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
CarriEM

I'm also trying to find the best way to break up the films and store them so that I can take them with me if I have to be away from my house for a long period of time. They just feel so delicate; I'm afraid they're going to stick together or break of just straight-up disintegrate! I've thought of cutting them and then placing them in a prescription bottle, but am worried that they could end up sticking together. I like the idea of a silica packet, if I can figure out where to find one. Maybe I could ask the pharmacy for one. I don't think there will be a problem with them sticking together right now because I live in Colorado and it's a very dry climate, but I wonder if this will be a problem in the summer. I feel like I'm making this into a more complicated issue than it needs to be, but having just switched from the pills to the films (due to being accepted to the Here To Help program-yay!), I've realized that it was so easy to just break up a pill and not have to deal with these individual packets! The films also take away the ability to take the medication on the downlow while out in public! That's why I'd like an easy way to prepare them to take ahead of time. I'm finding myself being reminded of my old ways of preparing my drugs so I could take them in public without alerting people to what I was doing!
CarriEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
onelove

Opening the film packet and putting some back in does NOTHING to the strips. I been doing it for bout a year. I just fold it and put in my wallet
onelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
asouth32

Well what I have been doing ever since I have been on them and have noticed no problems at all with the strips is when I take a piece or a half or whatever, I shove the rest of the strip back down in the package and fold it over and then take my fingernail and mash it down real tight. There arent any children in the house and my purse stays zipped all the time and right with me at all times. The longest of a time that I ever get away from my purse is if I have to run and use the bathroom in a store and Mom is watching my purse then.
That is what Ive been doing with mine ever since I have been on strips and I have never noticed a problem with them drying out or drawing moisture. I used to get a bunch that were cracked or broke in half whatever, and now over the past month or so Ive gotten none that have this problem. I guess some are just stored differently at the pharmacy or something.
asouth32 is offline   Reply With Quote