Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Selena15

Default When should I stop Suboxone before minor surgery?

I'm not sure which thread I should put this in so if I'm in the wrong one,I apoligize.
I'm having a colonoscopy Monday. I don't remember how soon I should stop taking the Suboxone before this procedure. I certainly don't want to wake up during this procedure.

I appreciate anyone's advice.

Marie
Selena15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
deanna

You dont need to stop taking suboxone at all before a colonoscopy. Just let the doctors know you are taking it. The medicine they give you to sedate you wont make you sick from being on suboxone, its only other narcotics that will. I had major surgery a year ago and told my doctor I was on sub, and everything went fine and I didnt even need any narcotics afterward. good luck!
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Marie!! Suboxone won't interfere with the anesthesia - just make sure that they aren't using fentanyl or any other painkiller in the 'twilight sleep' meds (they don't always do, but be on the safe side). As Deanna said, it would be best to let them know about the Suboxone beforehand.

Everything should work out fine.
I hope you're doing well and this is just a regular check up for you.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Selena15

I pretty sure they will give you Demerol and the name just slipped my mind. The one where you don't remember,similiar to Valium. As soon as I finish this post it will hit me. My Suboxone Dr. knows about me doing this but not my Gastro. I'm trying to avoid being the "addict" patient.

I thought about contacting my Therapist as well b/c my Suboxone Dr. you can't get in touch with over the weekend and this just came up Friday afternoon.

Thank you both for your help. Please let me know what you think about the Demerol if I continue to takae the Suboxone. I stopped it yesterday and would be thrilled to know I could start it back up even if I cut it down.

Thanks

Marie
Unread 02-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Selena15

Nancy,I meant to say no this isn't a regular check up. I'm having some serious issues and my mom had colon cancer so we trying to jump in on this.

Thanks

Marie
Unread 02-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Marie, oh no. I'm so sorry. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that everything is ok and it's not cancer.

If you can, try not to take any more Suboxone. It will block the demerol and you could feel pain. Some could still be blocked because of the long halflife. Is the other medication Versed? They often use that and/or proprofol for the sedation part.

My thoughts are with you.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 02-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
AbbyNormal

Yes, they use Versed and Demerol together. The Versed makes it where you won't remember anything about the procedure. So even if you had pain you won't remember it.

They do give a fairly strong dose of Demerol so it should work okay. I'd suggest getting down to a low of dose as possible but your procedure is too soon to do that. Stopping a day or two won't make much difference. But then it all depends on how much Sub you are taking per day. I got down to 1mg beforehand and that helped a lot.

It will turn out okay. Stay positive.

TomD

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Sam Bailey

Hello Selena,

Well, it's Monday afternoon now, so I'm certain I am too late to tell you that you will NOT have a problem with your procedure...but i will anyway. Uh, you will NOT have a problem with your procedure!

Before I jumped off the Sub Train, I too went into the Hospital (Clinic/Doc's Office?) for my own colonoscopy. And I similar trepidation.

As I recall I was, at that time?, on 2mgs a day. Yet, like a real dope!, I did NOT tell my physicians that i was on Subutex. Dum, Dum, Really Dumb! I know.

In any case, reveal it or not, I had NO problem at all. The Demerol (and Versad, Tom's right, re: the meds that are used) did exactly what it was supposed to do. I think so, anyway. Then again, maybe the Versed wiped any memory all away??

Nah, it all went well, according to all the folks there.

Longwinded point? Two, actually. As you already know (I'm sure), you had no difficulties at all... and, #2: Good that YOU told your docs ALL about your Sub use.

I did not and, yep, I should have. No question about it.

I hope whatever (other?) issues/conditions you might be facing turn out to be nothing of any significance.

best,

sam b
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Selena15

I just wanted to let everyone know that you were all correct. The drugs they gave me was no problem. I told them it would take more to put me out and that I'd rather have more of the Versed than the Demerol. Before Suboxone,I would have been asking for more Demerol.
I didn't wake up and I'm thrilled about that. They did do a biopsy and I have 2 more tests to go thru but that was the worse.

Thank you all for all the feedback. I was totally freaking over the whole ordeal with the Suboxone.

Thanks to everyone

Marie
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Marie, I'm glad the procedure went well for you.

Keeping my fingers crossed that everything is ok.

Nancy