Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
dean40

My name is Dean, I am a 25 year user of crack cocaine.I only took a break from it while in prison. I don;t want this life anymore, I feel my only hope is God. I need some advice and stories of success. Thanks, Dean
dean40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
CarlyO

Dear dean40,

Welcome to the forum and congrats for taking a huge step to stopping! Would you attend meetings like CA /NA or some form of counseling ? Or a comco of supports? To the right side are links to resources that can help you. As well as your local /county MH/SA clinic, start calling them till you find someome to help you. Read the threads here for insight and inspiration, post , vent ... it takes work but it is doable, you do not have to live in the grips addiction!

Keep us posted and if you need any info just ask OK? Take Care and congrats for taking this step! Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
this is me who i am

God is awesome Dean, i really never understood how to give your burdens to the Lord but i am learning. a few days ago i was wondering where rent was going to come from and other bills. i moved from a rental with mold into a new rental for my physical wellbeing with my kids and it drained my bank acct. i kept saying just take this, i cant handle it alone, i cant handle it at all. today my exlandlord calls gives me my entire security dep. back 60 days early. i'm not saying all prayers are answered like that but i also give real strength in my almost 5 yrs clean, jan 27th 2007, because i could not have detoxed by myself on my friends couch broke, homeless, and freaking out. i found a good church, i have yet to go into my addiction but maybe later. i've seen a lot, a lot of psychologists, therapists, doctors to help me get my body in balance. i'm bipolar, what do you know a lot of us are. you can do this, it's your mind over anything else that matters. find what you live for and focus on that. for me it's my kids and God, God first. Have faith you will find the right people to help you, a group to support you, a friend that needs you as much as you need them, and fill your heart with wanting help - give in to being who you really were meant to be. maybe one day you'll be helping someone that is where you are now.
this is me who i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
CarlyO

Default Dean - Hello ? How ARE YOU ???

Hi Dean,

How are you doing ? Post an update OK ? Have a safe and Happy New Year! Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
2 Users Say Thank You to CarlyO For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-10-2012)
Unread 01-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
dean40

I am back in prison,missed a curfew on probation,but I know I need to be here.The only thing I haven;t tried is God, and I believe this is my last chance.I am going thru the Big Book, meetings, Sun. Chapel and I feel it changing. I pray and try to focus on God, letting go and letting God have control sounds easy, but what else can I be doing?I will be here about 10 mths, and I feel clean,for the 1st time in years.I want to hear stories of success, pray for me.
Unread 01-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
CarlyO

Dear Dean40,

Dean I am sorry about your situation - you do sound like you are intent on making this work. Many people get hung up on G-O-D , I was always told to believe in a power greater than myself, example if someone grew up with the fire and brimstone G-O-D they may have difficulties with that part of of their process. I chose to look for miracles, good things in life..

Dean, I have seen miracles, the fact that we are alive is a miracle imo ! This life is not working for you, so take adavantage of what is offered while you are in there. Will they give you time to post ? Sending thoughts and prayers your way, stay strong and may you find inner peace and work on preparing a solid plan for when you get out.

Take care, Carly
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
dean40

Default how it works

I send my thoughts to a friend a its is posted for me.I also believe that my Higher Power is working for me, was not raised with much religion, but I feel more calm and hopeful since I ask God to help me.What have been your highs and lows?Want to hear how others have gone down this road. Thanks Carly for your encouragement.
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Welcome Dean. Glad you're here...

Or kind of "here." Not sure how you're able to read posts...

Sorry to hear you're back in prison. Glad for you though, that you have been able to focus on your Higher Power.

Mine is God. I prayed "the dope fiend prayer" while high...

And convinced CPS there was no need to take my baby.

Then put myself in rehab. Here are a few of my "highs & lows" while kicking a 21 year addiction:

--One day at a time I learned how to live life on life's terms.

--Everyday, I turned it over to God.

--Found out for sure my husband was cheating on me (at the time it was a low, looking back now...definitely a high!).

--Divorced the liar.

--Established great relationships with others like me.

--Attended school, got a certification and a good job.

--Qualified for transitional housing program.

--Eventually moved into my very own, brand new apartment.

--Traded my hoopdee in on a better, nicer car.

--Am now happily married to the most wonderful man in the world.

--The biggest low: I lost my son in a multiple-car rollover accident. While I was unconscious and my husband 30 miles away, our son died instantly, right beside me. 11/7/11. I didn't believe he was gone during the 6 days I spent in the hospital. It took viewing his body in the mortuary before I would believe anyone.

Lows are part of life on life's terms. Right now I'm not one to talk...my head is screwed up with grief...

But I'm still clean. May 4th 2012 will be 10 years.

Hope something here helps you.

-DHF

Last edited by Dopeless Hope Fiend; 01-13-2012 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: fix mistake
Dopeless Hope Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Dopeless Hope Fiend For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-14-2012)