Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
missionwahm

Default Ohio Medicaid/Molina Insurance Issue:(

Hello Everyone!! I'm a long time lurker but new to the posting thing so please be gentle :P I'll cut to the chase.... I've been on suboxone for 5 yrs now. I know you aren't supposed to be on it this long but I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after escaping a severely abusive relationship of 7 yrs. It lead me to chronic pain which of course led me to the pain pills. After finding suboxone I was honestly in awe of how much better I felt off the pain pills not only physically and emotionally. Anyway, I am in a huge rut and stressing out because I can't afford my Doctor anymore due to a huge increase from 150 to 200 in price. I do have Ohio Medicaid/Molina Insurance but can't find a Dr. accepting it! I've tried all the tips you wonderful people have given and still no luck. I've called Here to Help, the local health department (state & county) and several Doctors. I have gone from 8 mg down to such a small amount its probably not a mg lol. I'm feeling the effects! I probably only have enough to get through another 2 days. Oh, and I've done the family Dr. thing but he wasn't interested in learning about it other than to tell me good luck but he doesn't know enough about addiction medicine blah blah blah. I would be forever grateful if anyone can give me some hope or a lead. Heck I'd even HAPPILY work off my appointment cost! Anyhow, you see my dilemma and thanks in advance for reading )
missionwahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi missionwahm, welcome. Are you able to submit the receipts from your doctor directly to your insurance company for reimbursement right to you? That might be something to look into and then submit all of the receipts from this year. Because Suboxone is a Schedule III medication, a prescription can be written with 5 refills, so theoretically a doctor does not have to see you every month. Do you think your doctor would be willing to see you every other month or even less? That might be something to broach with him/her. This is from the TIP 40 that might be good back-up for you also - pdf page 90:
http://www.naabt.org/links/TIP_40_PDF.pdf
Frequency of Visits
During the stabilization phase, patients receiving maintenance treatment should be seen on at least a weekly basis. Part of the purpose of the ongoing assessment is to determine whether patients are adhering to the dosing regimen and handling their medications responsibly (e.g., storing it safely, taking it as prescribed, not losing it). Once a stable buprenorphine dose is reached and toxicological samples are free of illicit opioids, the physician may determine that less frequent visits (biweekly or longer, up to 30 days) are acceptable. Visits on a monthly basis are considered a reasonable frequency for patients on stable buprenorphine doses who are making appropriate progress toward treatment objectives and in whom toxicology shows no evidence of illicit drugs. However, physicians should be sensitive to treatment barriers, such as geographical issues, travel distance to treatment, domestic issues such as child care and work obligations, as well as the cost of care.

Another thing is now that you're now to a really low amount, maybe your family doctor would be willing to prescribe you the BuTrans patch (FDA approved for pain - not addiction). More on the patch:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=24722

That might be worth trying as you seem to be taking bupe more for pain control than addiction at this point?

I hope this is helpful. Let us know.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
missionwahm

Thank you so much for the helpful information. You have given me a few good leads and I'm going to check them out! The insurance company doesn't allow me to submit reciepts to receive payment. I did check on that I will check on the Patch as I've never heard of it! My family doctor is also unwilling to provide services because he says it's just not in his range of experience. While he seems happy with my recovery he isn't so interested in learning about how I'm recovering if that makes sense. About the pain thing.... I think I need it for both. I'd be fooling myself if I said it was just for the pain because I was definitely addiction to pills prior to suboxone. I'm just grateful to have found you guys and look forward to learning more about advocating and sharing my story to help others avoid some of the pain I've experience and not to mention the pain I've caused my family. I hope you have a blessed Christmas and start the new year off wonderful!
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
missionwahm

Oh and one more thing.... Is what you are saying about the bupe for pain control indicating that since I'm on a low dose now that it's not effective for the craving aspect... I am not sure if I worded that right but just curious if I'm not craving due to willpower or if its still the meds working... make sense?
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi missionwahm, you could not be craving because of the medication or because you've been so far removed from active addiction. It was more of a question for you. But if you're at such a low dose, it might be worth trying the patch - but the doctor can only prescribe it for pain. You could see if it works for the pain, but if it were too low a dose to stop cravings IF you had them, you could go back to what you're taking now.

Just thought it might be another option.

Let us know how you're doing when you can.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Bqb247

missionwahm, idk where u are in ohio, but try TCN in Xenia, if you're close enough, or Wright Path Recovery in Dayton. Pretty sure they accept your insurance.
Thank You (12-20-2011)
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
missionwahm

I just wanted to check in with everyone and tell you I'm officially off suboxone! It's been almost 2 months and I'm doing good )
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Congratulations missionwahm! That is fabulous news!

Thank you so much for the update, I'm thrilled that you're doing well!

Nancy