Addiction Survivors

Unread 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
blackberrybunny

Question Toothache! What to do?

Hi

I've been using Suboxone now to treat my back pain, since August. It has been a tremendous help with my lumbar issues, BUT surprisingly, the Suboxone does NOT help with other pains I have. I do not understand why this is. If anyone has a theory, I'd LOVE to hear it!

Meanwhile, I've eaten a lot of candy after taking my Sub to get the nasty taste out of my mouth, and now I have a cavity that seems to be getting bigger and deeper at an alarming rate. It has started to thump some, and I can't get to the dentist until near the New Year; she's all booked up.

No amount of tylenol or mortrin or anything has helped. What is someone supposed to do to treat other pain when they are using Suboxone for pain already? And I'm really scared to think what might happen should I need to go to the hospital for some reason or other, surgery, whatever.... I think I've read that a few days before surgery you are supposed to get off of the Sub so they can administer to you pain drugs, like morphine or dilauded, if needed. I am really worried because I had been on hydrocodone and morphine for 3 years. At the end, right before I started Sub, I was taking 210mg of morphine a day, and six 10mg hydro's, so you see I have a very high tolerance.

I am able to make do with one 8mg Sub a day, and there have been a couple of times when I went 2 or 3 days w/o any, and STILL had pain relief! The Sub is an amazing drug.

But what about those other pains? Like this toothache? Oh, and please no one suggest that nasty Orajel stuff, blechhhhh!

I'd really like to learn how the Suboxone (Buprenorphine) can take away my terrible back pain, which was a 8-9 every day on a scale of 1 - 10, and yet, it doesn't help with other aches and pains????

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
blackberrybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
bizzby45

Try soaking a cotton ball in vanilla a biting down on it or pressing it against the tooth
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
blackberrybunny

Hmmm... well, in desperation, when a tooth goes to thumping, I'd try anything! Thanks for your answer, but it really isn't what I was looking for. I appreciate it though, and will remember to try this, since I happen to have some real vanilla and not the imitation stuff. Plus, it's gotta taste better than Orajel!! Or clove oil!
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
deanna

Go to the dentist and get it filled. I dont know what your insurance situaton is, but there is free dental care in all cities when you look around. Good luck!
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
amber.4.14.11

I had a TERRIBLE absess under the tooth, into my JAW about a month ago. I was taking 800mg ibprofen and tylenol. it wasn't touching the pain!! the ONLY relief I found was rinsing with room temp salt water. I carried a styrofoam cup around with my at the shop and rinsed like every 20 min. it felt good, until I had to spit the water out. then the pain began going up and up until I rinsed agian. I went to my doc, my sub doc even, and he wrote me for antibiotics and a "mouthrinse" for me to use daily, becuase all my teeth are terrible. the new rinse is awesome, I use it twice a day, becuse its really hard to brush rotten teeth. ANywya just wanted to post what helped me!!!!
amber.4.14.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
blackberrybunny

I appreciate all of the info about how to deal with my tooth, you guys, but what I'm really trying to understand is HOW the suboxone takes away my back pain, but not my other pains.

And what are we supposed to do if we are scheduled for surgery? What will we do for pain relief then? Because I can tell you that the Sub only takes away my back pain, and not other pains. Not menstrual pains, not muscle aches, not headaches, not sinus headaches, or toothaches.

I'm trying to understand the relationship between the drug and the neurotransmitters in the brain and HOW the suboxone knows to target my back pain, which has been my worst pain for 4 years now, and they only reason I was using opioids in the first place. Thanks, again. ;-)
Unread 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
scootergalp

I had surgery a couple years ago. I was on 2mg of Sub at the time so I stopped 4 days before the surgery. It was still in my system though. They had a little trouble getting past the pain at first. Had to ask the dr for more pain medication a couple times right after the surgery. So even on a lose dose and stopping 4 days before it was still in my system. Bup is strong stuff....
scootergalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
TIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrybunny View Post
I appreciate all of the info about how to deal with my tooth, you guys, but what I'm really trying to understand is HOW the suboxone takes away my back pain, but not my other pains.

And what are we supposed to do if we are scheduled for surgery? What will we do for pain relief then? Because I can tell you that the Sub only takes away my back pain, and not other pains. Not menstrual pains, not muscle aches, not headaches, not sinus headaches, or toothaches.

I'm trying to understand the relationship between the drug and the neurotransmitters in the brain and HOW the suboxone knows to target my back pain, which has been my worst pain for 4 years now, and they only reason I was using opioids in the first place. Thanks, again. ;-)
I don't know the answer to your question but here is some new research on buprenorphine for pain http://www.annemergmed.com/webfiles/...FA-mjalili.pdf

Also, here is some more general info on pain and opioids.
http://www.naabt.org/education/documents/challenges.pdf

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
tlg

blackberrybunny,
Sorry you're not getting the answers your looking for, but when we are unable to give you the answer to what you're asking, the people here are pretty good at at least trying to help you in some way.

My guess on why you aren't getting relief for your tooth pain is b/c it's a different kinda pain, and it may be something medically wrong that needs to be addressed that has nothing to do with pain meds before you will feel any kind of relief?! Toothache can be caused by a number of things, and often times it doesn't matter what or how much you're taking, it not gonna get rid of the pain. If I broke my legs, I could take everything under the sun, but until I fixed my leg, the pain would continue to be there!

My advice...call a dentist, figure out what's really going on, and make an appt to get it fixed. in the mean time, try some of the suggestions people have given you to try and ease the pain if possible...but bottom line is, whatever it is probably needs to be addressed before you find any relief?!

Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
deedle

if you're tooth is infected or it has moved into the bone ( osteomyelitis ) I'm sorry sister but nothing but the dentist a root canal or an extraction ...possible antibiotics and steroids will get rid of that....at least that was my less than fun experience
deedle is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to deedle For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-30-2011)
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #11
So.Cal.

If you cant handle oragel,,then youd probably never be able to handle this,,but i had the whole damn inside of molar fall out,,and i new clove spice was good at numbing a tooth ach,,,,so i got clove powder,,mixed it in some water to likke a watery paste and put a piece of a cigg butt in it and soaked it and put it in the hole and it worked,,,,just another concoction if needed and dont have oragel.
TT
So.Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
krystaalexandria

Motrin, clove oil, temporary filling (can be found at local drugstore, near toothpaste, etc). But honestly, I would probably see if I could get an appt at a different dentist sooner. It might be infected, and need antibiotics. This is NOT a good idea, but I put myself on antibiotics until I could get to the dentist, and he kept me on them, and scheduled my appt for when I finished the course. If you try the clove oil, just put a few drops on a q tip, and apply directly to the cavity, and try not to swallow any. It's gross, but it offers some relief. Depending on the location and size of the cavity, the temporary filling stuff may, or may not work out.
krystaalexandria is offline   Reply With Quote