Addiction Survivors

Unread 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
ZeusMaster

Default My Husband Unfairly Kicked Off Suboxone Program

Hey everybody. I'm new to this and wanted to share our story and see if any of you have any advice for us.
My husband has been on a suboxone program for the past 4 years with a doctor who is in a different city. Recently, our family doctor's practice, which is right around the corner from our house, started a program so I suggested to my husband that he meet with him for a consultation. It would be so much easier to go 2 minutes than 30 minutes for appointments and prescriptions.
He had a consultation and let the doctor know that he was currently on a program and going to this office would be more convienient. My husband also let the doctor know that he was ok with his pills for about another week, so he didn't need a prescription at this time. They set up another appointment for the day before he was scheduled to see his original doctor.
When he went back for his second appointment, they told him that he wasn't accpeted into the program. We weren't sure why, but were ok with it because he still had his other doctor. And having to drive a half hour, even though inconvienient, we could still deal with. Him continuing his treatment is the most important thing.
When my husband went back to his original doctor for his refill, they kicked him off of that program! The doctor accused him of doctor shopping, which is absolutely not true! Then the doctor was telling him that he was not actually taking his pills, but selling them, and was putting a suboxone pill in his urine when he was being seen at the office to pass his urine tests! They said that "metabolites" are not in his urine. They had said this to him a couple times over the past few months, and each time, he demanded to be re-tested, and then they'd never mention it again.
I was so furious at these accusations, that I drove to the doctor's office myself to see what was going on. I am with my husband every day and this program has been a life saver, not only for him, but for us and our relationship. I know that he takes his pills faithfully, and if anything, sometimes he might take too many pills one day, and struggles at the end of the month.
My husband was diagnosed with Hepatitis C about a year ago. His doctor's don't believe he needs treatment at this time. He also has recently started taking anobolic steroids. I know that this is not good, but what I want to know is if either the Hep C or steriods could affect his urine. He has never in four years had any issues with his urine until the past few months.
The nurses at the office have been very nice and set up an appointment for us to speak with the doctor and see if there's anything we can do.
I just feel that this was handled wrong, and am scared for my husband and our family. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
ZeusMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
deedle

something sounds really wrong here...maybe its just miscommunication and hopefully you'll be able to resolve it. I don't know about Anabolic ...but I often have to take prednisone (a cortico steroid) and it can mess with certain lab tests. I hope someone can answer your questions in a more educated fashion than myself....but I wish you the best. it gets hard when too many drs get involved I try to cling to the two wonderful ones I have and trust they can handle all of my mess. so sorry you're having such drama
deedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ZeusMaster, welcome. What kind of drug test does your husband's doctor give - in office urine or is it sent out to a lab? If it's just an in-office test, ask for a test to be sent out to the lab which would be more accurate.

You said: "He has never in four years had any issues with his urine until the past few months." When did he start taking the steroids?

As for the doctor shopping and pill selling, ask him where he came up with those false accusations and if need be, think about getting a letter from the family doctor your husband saw stating that there was an appointment to see if a closer doctor would be better but it didn't work out and no prescription was given.

I hope he gets this all straightened out.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
AbbyNormal

It is just unbelievable what stories we hear about Sub doctors across the country! I am so grateful to have found two good ones who cares that I won't take it for granted. The only reason I've been able to find good doctors is that I first lived in So. Ca., and now in Las Vegas where we have lots of doctors. BTW, I only found one out of many that took my insurance and cares about his patients recovery.

My sympathies go out to those of you still suffering with idiot physicians.

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
gotoffmdone

The thing that I hate are the assumptions Drs make when all it would take is a phone call to the other Dr. But when it comes to this "disease", and I put in quotes because I doubt half the Drs handing out Sub believe that to be the case. WE are always going to be perceived as guilty until we can prove our innocence. Assuming we are even allowed to plead our case. A Dr who would kick a long term patient off his roll that easily would never give that person another thought.
Somewhere along the way Drs change as we all do. I believe most enter medical school dedicated to the art of healing. I know as it relates to taking the Sub course Drs become more dedicated to the opportunity to make money. Of course not all Drs are like this. I don't want to paint them all with the same broad brush because as someone who had/has an opiate problem it doesn't feel good when its constantly done. There is a difference however between Dr and patient. For some reason I still care what Drs and others think of me(assuming they do). I doubt seriously if most of these Drs could care less what we think of them.

Wayne
wayne
gotoffmdone is online now   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gotoffmdone For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-05-2011)
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
ZeusMaster

Thank you all for your quick responses!
Nancy B - I'm so glad that you took the time to read our story! Your input and knowledge is great!
To go a little further into it and to answer some more questions, he started taking the steroids about 6 months ago, which is why I was wondering if that had something to do with is urine tests coming up wrong all of a sudden. But also, it didn't happen every month. The first time was in May, when he demanded to be re-tested. Then we never heard anything else about it until last week.
We have an appt. tomorrow (Monday), and he is going to bring the steroids that he used to the doctor and they have agreed to test them to see if anything in them could cause this.
As for the other doctor that he had a consultation with, I think that what happened is that "someone" from that office talked to "someone" from his other doctor's office. The doctor's did not actually speak to eachother because they seemed pretty in the dark about it. I'm just really upset because they jumpoed to conclusions, and now we don't know what to do.
I feel horrible for my husband because he's being accused of things that he absolutely did not do nor did he have any intention of doing.
I'm hoping that we can straighten everything out tomorrow. But here's another question - What happens if they do not see our side, and still release him from the program? Do we demand that they at least taper him off first? Do we look for another program? And will he even be able to get on another one after being "kicked off" of one?
I just have so many questions and we're really nervous about what happens next.
ZeusMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ZeusMaster, hopefully you'll get everything straightened out tomorrow. If the doctor for some reason decides not to keep your husband on as patient, then just ask for one more prescription so that he has time to look for a new one. He might want to register on the matching system now, just in case:
http://www.treatmentmatch.org/

In the Statement to the doctor part, he can simply say something like 'stable for 4 years, looking to continue treatment with a doctor closer to home'. No need to explain anything else. Especially when it could be that the staff in the doctors' offices were gossiping with each other.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out.

Please let us know when you have a chance.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
bugman

Default unfair

this sounds like you need a new doctor. as in all things in life you have good practitioners and poor ones. the guy who graduates last in his med class, still becomes a doctor. a good doctor will listen carefully to your problem and not lump you in with everyone else. but you have to go with their program and toe the line. if you try to arrange things to fit what you want, it may be perceived by the doctors, that your trying to work them. remember they are trained to look for people who are selling or seeking drugs. these people will act suspicious. you should have probably told you first doctor what you were doing BEFORE you went to the other doctor. ask around and find a good, well trained doctor and use common sense when making changes. how would it look to you if you were the doctor. hope this helps
bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
deedle

hey lady z was wondering how you and your husband are doing... please update.
I've been in tears so many time between drs and pharmacists imaging "accusations" when all I want to do is lead a goodclean life.
where were they when I had dilaudid morphine norco and fentanyl rx's. at every pharmacy in the Heights lol.

I truly feel for you and hope its working out.
deedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
alanw

Remember that any sub doc knows addiction, they are very keen to call out anyone who even looks like they may be dishonest. So in your case id say your sub doc thinks your doctor shopping, or trying to get 2 scripts, they also can test your bupe levels up to a week, if something is off then the doctor should dismiss the patient, after all it's their license on the line. I wish you luck!
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
sureyya

I hate to say this, but I know that whenever I would relapse, even if it was just a one time use, I could always convince my friends & family that everyone else was falsely accusing me. They believed it because the other 29 days out of the month I was doing the right thing & they JUST KNEW I had been clean. And for the most part that was true. This may absolutely not apply to your husband-he may be doing the right thing. But the most important thing I want to tell you is that I know from my father being a physician, a doctor REQUIRED BY LAW to give a patient 30-day notice if they are dismissing them from treatment. And they MUST give official written notice of this and A 30-DAY SUPPLY OF CURRENT MEDICATIONS. They absolutely cannot dismiss a patient without providing the medication & time for them to find a new physician.
sureyya is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to sureyya For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-03-2011)