Addiction Survivors

Unread 08-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
theswan

Default Swan Song

Hi Folks

Not my swan song, but Suboxone's swan song. August 4th was a year off of suboxone. I feel great except for chronic pain.

Never got PAWS stayed in AA albeit not as often as I used to go. Kinda busy as my voice has taken off and I now cantor at Church. I began voice lessons with an excellent professor of music.

Sadly I heard my voice on a tape player and my goodness, hated it! I heard this is common I hope so as I really do not like my taped voice. I am learning keyboard but real slooooowly.

So life is good and I do not fear suboxone and down the line may have to take for my pain is getting worse instead of better. I had six nerve blocks and now will try a TENS unit. Next is pulsed radiofrequency

God bless all and know a taper is very do-able

Glen AKA Da' SWan
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to theswan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-13-2011), Thank You (08-13-2011)
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen! Wow, I cannot believe a year has passed! Congratulations!

It's really great to hear you're doing so well and enjoying life. From what you've said, everyone loves your so you're in the minority on that one! Good for you on the voice and keyboard lessons.

If you do have to take Suboxone for pain, look into the BuTrans patch. It might work better for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the TENS unit gives you relief though.

Looks like (from your other post) that you have plenty of space on that computer, eh? lol What browser are you using? Do you have Norton installed or anything like that?

Again, congratulations on a year. And thank you for sticking around and inspiring others!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Mary

Hey Glen aka Da' Swan! Congrats on a year! Man that went by fast. That is very cool all you've done and are doing with music too. I'm with you on the voice thing. I wasn't too happy when I heard my own voice, but, hey, other peeps like it so, who cares what I think.

Keep working the keys. One day I bet it'll just click, like an epiphany type thing.

Sending pain free positive energy to you. Hope the TENS things works. Congrats my friend! -Mary
Unread 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
deedle

Default tens

hey! I just got a tens unit....while its on I feel good..but when it's off pain returns.
hopefully it will subside. GOOD LUCK on yours!
deedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
aria14

Glen, we don't really know each other but your story is one of my inspiration stories that I go back and read when I need a boost!
I was on Subs for pain and I notice that now that I'm down to 2.5 mgs (from 24 mgs for over 3 years) that my lower back is so achy a lot and I have shooting pains from my L-5 area. I get angry about being on Subs for so long but boy, did it ever work well for me for pain.
I am now sleeping on a heating pad every night, take advil most everyday and walking. The pain is not as bad as it was 4 years ago post-surgery and I think at age 53, if this is all that's wrong, I can take it

Congrats on your 1 yr anniversary...good job!
aria14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
deanna

congratulations Swan
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
theswan

Thanks Every one of you!

Nancy, I'm poor so I installed 'Outpost security suite" so far it seems to have worked well. kim Komando Recomends it as a good free system (firewall antivirus etc) I still get the browser but but re boots ussualy chase them away.

Thanks Mary, Deanna You tow have always wrote on my posting. I get my TENS next week. I'll see how it works

Aria hello, a singer perhaps? I have no concerns about Bupe at all if I need it I will get it in fact, as I write I have put a 'script in for a 5mcg patch my doctor just wrote for me.

So after a year off, I will return albeit at a much reduced amount ( Which doctor will increase if need be)

Nancy, the does is 5mcgs an hour so that seems to mean 120mcg's a day? that is less then 1/4mg if I'm not mistaken is'nt it? I thought 1000mcg makes 1 mg?

Anyway, I'm not worried and I know it will work for pain as I used for that reason.

So wish me luck I'll keep folks informed and PLEASE do not think this a failure of bup in any fashion-it is not.I have really tough pain issues and the tramadol/acetamenophen did not do the job. I've spent two nights tossing in bed unable to sleep with horrible leg/back pain-It was time to amp up the medication-as long as it is bupe, I've got no reason to fear

God bless (Still singing still smiling)

Glen
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, glad the security suite is working, at least you know that the reboot will work and you don't have boot the computer out the window. heehee

You're so right, it's not a failure of any kind for you to try the BuTrans patch for your pain. Buprenorphine was originally developed for pain some 30+ years ago, using it for addiction came much later. You know it helps your pain, keep us posted on how the patch does.

Here's a thread on the patch:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=24722

Tim posted this using the 20mcg strength:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM View Post
Hi Deanna,
20mcg is 20 micrograms which is .000020 grams. but that is per hour. So .000020 X 24 hours = .00048g or 0.48mgs. (about 1/2 of miligram/day) but that is at 100% absorption so its probably close to 0.75-2mgs/ a day of sublingual buprenorphine, depending on the individual's absorption efficiency.
Tim
The difference is that it's a constant amount in your system, so there won't be the wearing off of the analgesic property as with the pills.

I hope that and the TENS unit make for a pain-free da' Swan!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
theswan

Thanks Deanna, Tim Nancy

I'm on the 5mcg dose. It helps but I feel the next step is the 10mcg. Other then pain relief, I feel nothing save for one droswy evening first or second day.

I have no worries of addiction only constipation but that is not a problem at 5mcg.

The Buspan did cut the "intense" pain down. Glad I tried it. I also know that 10 or 20mcg's will surffice as per the ceiling effect of buprenorphrine.

Glen
Unread 08-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, that's an encouraging report about the patch. Hopefully the next step up will help even more.

Keep us posted. So glad the the intense pain is cut down!

Nancy
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
theswan

Thanks Nancy

I feel a little better still but walking around the Dutchess County fair, my pain was a little worse-Upon rest at home it returned to tolerable levels.

Thanks Tim I will keep this in mind as I when I up my dose to 10mcg. I was concerned that even at 20mcg, it is barely 1/2mg. I had come to believe 1-3mg was average for pain relief-More did nothing to further relief. So now I understand the absorption is better cutaneously (spelling I know-though skin lol) So even though 480mcg at 20 per hour equals less then half a miligram it may actually be a net increase due to said absorption and equal greater then 1/2mg correct?

I just want to b e clear so I'm not chasing pain relief past the effectiveness level of buprenorphrine.

Again, thanks for the answer

Glen
Unread 09-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
theswan

Hi Folks

Doctor up'd my dose to 10mic's per hour which is 240 mircrograms a day still short of what I need for pain. I've read 1/2mg to 2mg is ideal for pain

He may up my dose next time to the max which is 20mcg's per hour via patch That is 480mcg's a day which is still short of 1/2mg Europe has up to 70mcgs per hour patch's

oh well it is day one so I will give it time

Life is still good save for the pain but would not trade my life for anyone's

Voice lessons going well. Teacher says I'm a "dramatic tenor" not sure but will look that one up-sounds good right? lol

Gave me a non church song to try-"Some enchanted evening" from South Pacific-Love it and it is an easy piece for my range.

Sorry I do not come here as often but will stay in touch as I can.

Glen
Da'Swan
Unread 11-16-2011, 03:38 AM   #13
theswan

Hello Folks

Sorry I've been AWOL busy is the usual excuse and happens to be mine this time.

I got married last Monday yea! It was sweet. The weather was perfect so went outside at the small hotel we reserved. It overlooked the Hudson River in Rhinecliff NY just a mile or so from where Chelsey Clinton got married. Our event was slightly smaller with my bride, her mom, my brother and his wife (and the interdenominational minister) I read from the old and new testament verse's that pertained to love/husband/wife including proverbs "Hymn to a good wife" and ending with Corth 1 verse 13 "Love is patient etc". My bride read from 'Science and health by Mary Baker
Eddy" as she is a Christian scientist. Her mom read the Hebrew blessing and I broke the glass as we shouted "Mozel Tov!" It was sweet and then we had a great dinner.

I am Catholic and now know there was a way to do this marriage ceremony and still be a Catholic in good standing but as she did not want to go to class or meet with the priest, I thought wrongly that it was not possible. Now she is willing to see the priest as she see's it means a lot to me (my complusive nature gets me in hot water again) Anyway it is a long process that may cost a few hundred dollars so I may have to put it off until my money situation improves.

So now I can of course go to Mass and sing as a cantor and choir member, I just cannot partake of the Eucharist or serve as a Eucharistic minister, I really regret this as I liked to serve.

Besides that,my voice lessons have gone well and I believe my voice has gotten better with my notes getting higher. I am a tenor and happy for it as it has a good range.

My pain has been an issue and I'm on 15 micrograms of transdermal bupe. I get itchy and the site I apply it gets so itchy that I take them off usually before a week of wearing but they do offer a bit of help. I've not worn one several days and if not for the pain, would not even think of them. I do not get constipation as I did with the suboxone (except after going below 2mg when it left) So if the itching is not too bad an issue, I wear the patch.

Still happy with my new place and other then a slight case of 'darkness' blues (SAD) I am still quite happy.

I will view some posts and see if I can offer some of my expierence and will post again when I get time.

Glen AKA Da Swan
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen!! Congratulations! Oh, the ceremony sounds like it was beautiful! I'm so happy for you. That's great that your new bride is willing to do what it takes for you to be able to continue what you want to do in the church. I know it means so much to you. I'm glad that it's not impacting your ability to be in the choir or cantor. You must be getting ready for the Christmas season in the church now? I can't believe it's almost that time. Thanksgiving is next week. Yikes!

Have you tried a benedryl cream to see if that will help with the itching from the patch?
http://www.benadryl.com/products/all...stopping-cream
I wonder if you put it around the patch if it would help at all.

Get some extra vitamin D for the SAD and get outside in the sunlight for even a few minutes at a time if you can. That might help with this getting dark so early time.

I'm so happy you checked in and that everything is going well for Mr. and Mrs. Da Swan!

Nancy
Unread 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
theswan

lol!
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
deanna

Swan, congratulations!!! I am so happy for you! Let me ask you about the patch, because Ive been thinking of switching from the films. As you know, Ive been on sub a long time, and Im taking it more for pain issues now than addiction. I dont ever want to go back to pain medicine....well, I WONT go back no matter what, but I always take the film and then my arthritis and neck pain is alot better. Anyways, I asked the pharmacist if I could transfer from 1mg to the patch and she said I would feel withdrawal after a few days because the patch is alot less medicine than what I take. I thinkk I asked you about this before, and I know Ive asked Nancy but I cant remember what the answer was (im getting old lol).
Hope all is well, and again congratulations on the wedding!
Unread 12-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
theswan

Thanks Nancy and Deanna

Life is still going well for us. I travel to her more then the other way around but I like to visit the city.

My voice lessons have helped and I am very happy with where it is getting to.

I could not take the patch with the itch, it would get wet under the patch. I did not try the benydryl because I did not really get too much relief anyway so, today I went to suboxone again.

The doctor was not too sure about the dose so he wrote for 2mg once a day but told me to try what works up to 2mg

I took 1mg (half) and an hour later I was a bit woozy and even a little "high" That has worn off for the most part but the good news is my pain is under control.

I will have to take it one day at a time to see how best to take it. I may skip a day but not sure if that is a good idea, so Nancy, if you have info on the best dose's, I'd appreciate it.

I will read through but am pressed for time now.

Good news that it works hope it continues with no need of upping it. Also no fear at all about addiction!

Glen
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, that's too bad that the patch didn't work out. But it's good news that the pill is working for your pain. There really isn't anything formal or official about the doses because the pills aren't indicated for pain. But maybe if you can cut the pill down to .5mg and try that instead. In Europe, where they have Temgesic (sublingual buprenorphine) for pain for opioid naive patients, it comes in sublingual pills in 0.2mg and 0.4mg; so if the 1mg was too much, maybe .5 would be better and then you could take another .5mg in the morning and maybe later in the day if you need it. The analgesic properties generally last from 4 to 6 hours. Sorry I can't be more definitive. I will look later to see if I can find anything though.

I'm happy things are going well for you and Mrs. da Swan. I bet it will be a very joyous holiday season for you both.

Good to 'see' you!

Nancy
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
theswan

Thanks Nancy

Yeah it is wearing off now but I'll wait 'till tomorrow to take .5mg

Happy holidays to you and your's too
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
Mike_S

Hey Glen, I want you to know that when I first came to this site it was your taper and positive attitude that gave me the confidence I needed for my own.

I totally agree with Nancy on your situation, titrating your dose from the bottom upward is the way to go. I had one situation, during my taper, where I was at .25mg when I got hit with a major spasm. That morning I bumped it to 1mg, I couldn't believe how strong that dose felt! The next day I took nothing, and on the third day went back to my .25 taper dose with no problems.

I believe the analgesic pain relieving qualities of Sub are like any other pain reliever, depending on the person, it tends to peak within the 1st hr and then slowly decline over say 4 -6 hrs, that's been my experience anyway. Just as a suggestion, you might try starting at .25mg, wait an hour, and if that doesn't provide enough pain relief bump it up another .25mg and see how that feels after an hour, I'd continue with that type of progression until I got a decent level of pin relief. I know you have some serious pain issues, I'm with ya there brother! But I believe using the least amount to do the job is very important at this point, because, as we all know, it only goes up from here. Like I said these are just my thoughts, but it's how I'd approach it.

God Bless, to you and the new Mrs, and have a great Holiday Season.

Blessings,
Mike
Mike_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #21
theswan

Thanks Mike

I looked at the "half" I had left in the bottle and found at least one reason the sub was so strong-It was less then half-Meaning I took more then 1Mg maybe 1 1/4 mg! So I made sure I cut the next one exact as I could. So 1mg this time was still too strong but better. So, I suppose I started in the wrong direction. I really did not believe it would have such an effect but fact is I am now "opioid naive" (hard time grasping that lol)

Anyway, will take half of a half 2mg which of course is 1/2mg I feel that will be ok because a 'true' 1mg while strong was not overwhelming.

I also feel using as a PRN is a good idea. Bupe has a long half life as we know hence no worry of WD's.

Well I'll report after trying 1/2 mg (if I need it my pain level did come down a lot with that first dose)

Oh yeah, sleep was affected-had a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep

Glen

Last edited by theswan; 12-09-2011 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: speeling lol
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #22
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, what time did you take the bupe - if it was later in the day, maybe that's what caused the sleep problem.

Please do keep us updated if the smaller dose works better. Fingers crossed that it does.

Nancy
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #23
theswan

Auugh! I got upset that it had such a profound effect on me, I got up at like 4AM and while in a sleep deprived haze, I threw them down the toilet! Dumb! My pain has been bad so now I'm using the few half used "Buspan" patchs.

They don't work too well but at least I have something to fight the pain along with tylenol and ipuprofen.

Anyway, see the doctor in January so I'll try again at 1/4 a pill. I think that will work along with given it a little time to get used to it. My compulsive nature gets me thinking so "black and white" sometimes. Like if it does not work right the first couple of times I say "screw it I did ok without them who needs it!"

Now I'm saying to myself, 'That was'nt very bright now that you hurt like hell!' lol

Oh well, life is still good and I can laugh at it and January is not far off to try anew!

"My own worse enemy sound right here?" Lol

Merry Christmas and happy Hanukkah

Glen
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #24
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, sorry you're having to use used patches. I think that's a good idea trying 1/4 of a pill. Can you get the film so they'd be easier to cut maybe? You're right, January's not that far off. I just hope you can manage your pain well enough so that you and Mrs. da Swan can have fabulous holidays!

Nancy
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #25
theswan

I'll be ok just wish I had not been complusive. I did a solo today and the led carols at a Church in Harlem. I got a lot of compliments which was nice because there are many professional musicans and singers in that church a few world class. Kinda beaming now. Even if they were just being nice, it was a hoot to get a pat on the back.

Glen
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #26
Mike_S

Congratulations Glen, you have one of the greatest attitudes on this site. The fact that your singing is taking off, not to mention a new wife, makes you an inspiration to many of us here.

As far as flushing the Sub, hey, I almost did the same myself, after my failed experiment. What stopped me was the fact I don't have any insurance right now, and if I go into a major spasm, sleep or not I'd have to use it, and that stuff is expensive to replace.

My best to you and the new Mrs., have a great Holidays.

Mike
Unread 12-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #27
theswan

hi Mike and thanks

I can't wait until the 5th of January to get another chance. I'm using the tramadol I had left over, tylenol and aspirin or motrin or aleve which I swith back and forth with as well as taking NSAID drug holiday's.

I've been in some awful pain and am getting scared about my ability to walk. My car was in the shop so I had to walk 5 blocks to a bus then 3 blocks to my mechanic's place. I had to stop several times and felt like I was not going to be able to bear up under the pain.

I go for a " Pulsed radiofrequency " treatment in a week or so and hold hope it helps me. I've had so many epidurals that they no longer work for more then a few days.

Afraid to talk to my wife about this because i'm really scared and do not want to worry her. Up where I live it is easy to get around with my Chevy blazer. All the stores have electric carts I can use to shop and I park in the handicapped areas so there is minimal walking but in NYC where I go weekly, I have to do stairs, wait for bus's and walk at least a block or two just to get around. Even the commuter train is a problem because they want $5.75 a day just to park and I still have to walk about a block up and down stairs to get the Metro-North. I love the city and seeing my wife there but it is a real chore now.

Well anyway, I had to rant and this is as good a place as any. I have to really lose weight as I'm sure that would help but it is a cycle of being depressed about pain so I eat to drown that and then get upset because I eat too much.

Again, I feel blessed and do not want to appear ungrateful. I do however have a "cross to bear"

Happy holiday I sing at midnight Mass which is always nice

Glen

Last edited by theswan; 12-23-2011 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: grammer
Unread 12-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #28
Mike_S

Hey Glen,

Don't worry about the rant, people here, including myself, certainly understand pain, and how debilitating it can be. I also understand the weight situation, I'm dealing with that as well, and understand how difficult it is to maintain a reasonable weight, it's not easy, it's as much an emotional as it is a physical struggle, especially when pain is a contributing factor. I think you'll find once your pain is under better control, attempting weight loss will be a little easier.

I went and saw the Dr., yesterday, and posed the question to him about using Sub on an as needed basis, he said he hadn't tried it yet, but knew others that were prescribing it off label for pain management, depending on the patients situation, it seems that it works best for people with situations like ours, if you can tolerate the side effects. My main question is; how many days can it be used before dependency occurs, and what would the withdrawal be like? I haven't been able to find any reliable info on it yet, so I may become a guinea pig of sorts . I know that with morphine, discontinuing after 5 days sent me into mild withdrawals.

I'd be interested to hear how the Pulsed radio frequency works out. Perhaps that will bring you some relief. I used a Tens unit for a while it helped a little, but what a hassle, especially with no help to place the electrodes.

I can understand your fear in talking to your wife about this, perhaps, after your back in control of your pain, you can ease her into it, awfully hard to do if they see you in excruciating pain.

I hear ya about the when it comes to getting around in NYC, I haven't been back there in years, I'm a SoCal transplant now, just couldn't take the cold anymore. Keep the posts coming and have a great holidays.

Blessings,
Mike
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #29
theswan

Thanks

I have a TENS but need new electrodes as they lost their "stickyness" I forget to get them. They help when they are on but forget traveling. They come undone and I end up getting shocked in bad places because they are on my thighs lol

Socal Huh? I used to visit my dad when he lived in Anaheim. I love to visit the beach's (laguna, seal etc) The Los Alamitos harness track (now gone to fairplex wherever that is) Knotts berry farm and universal studio's. Still did not like it as it seemed gray every morning and smoggy. Forget walking there too as there are few sidewalks. But as said, great place to visit.

Gotta wait two weeks until doctor is back but they will refill my suboxone on the 5th.

Take care!

Glen
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #30
theswan

PS

I'd not worry about WD from suboxone-at the low dose we are on it is a cinch to taper to crumbs and even alternate days.

My taper starting at 16mg to zero while protracted, went very easy.

Glen
Unread 12-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #31
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, how was your Christmas? I hope you weren't in too much pain so singing at midnight mass was enjoyable!

My best for 2012 to you and the missus.

Nancy
Unread 12-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #32
Mike_S

Hey Glen,

Anaheim huh, that's where my office and studio are! I know what you mean about the overcast days, they can be quite smoggy and down right depressing, at certain times of the year. It's beautiful right now, just a little cold.

I was thinking about giving my neural paths a little more time to heal before trying the sub again for temporary pain relief, I think maybe I tried it to soon, don't know for sure. In the mean time I'm gonna try to deal with the pain as best I can, but if I get into a full blown spasm I'll have to do something, those can lay me up for weeks.

Have a happy New Year, Glen

Blessings,
Mike
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #33
theswan

Thanks Mike,Nancy

I hid in the back row in our Church's "choir loft" and sat most of the time. No one except those right next to me noticed. I recorded the whole midnight Mass and it sounds really nice. I hated my voice on this tiny recorder but was told to try headphones-I did and I sound so much better. I thought it was just that I judged myself harshly but now that I hear myself clear, well darn it! I sound pretty good! lol

I wish you luck on taking time off. I KNOW it works for pain because the day I tried it, I went into a house cleaning frenzy-that means I had energy and was out of pain.

Does anyone know if the sell Subutex in America? or if it is as cheap? just wondering why I got suboxone and not a pure buprenephrine. If it is more costly then I dont care.

Peace to all in the New year!

Gotta sing at 10am so may miss the ball falling

Glen
Unread 01-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #34
Mike_S

Hey Glen, yes Subutex is available in the US, it's generic Bupe, and I believe it's quite a bit cheaper than Sub. Here's the MFG's website http://www.roxane.com, they started making it in 2009. Hope this helps.

Happy New Year,
Mike
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #35
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, I bet you sound better than just 'pretty good' with all the compliments you get! Don't short-change yourself there.

They no longer make brand name Subutex:
http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/Subu...ion9-16-11.pdf

In addition to Roxane, as Mike posted, two other companies have a generic available in the US.

TEVA: http://www.tevausa.com/default.aspx?...butex®+Tablets

Hi-Tech: http://www.hitechpharm.com/products/...ts&ndc=0930-93

http://www.hitechpharm.com/products/...ts&ndc=0924-93

The generics were considerably less expensive than the brandname Subutex. I'm sure that had something to do with Reckitt discontinuing it, although it's not mentioned in that link above.

Let us know how your appointment goes Thursday.
Happy, happy new year!

Nancy
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #36
theswan

Thanks you are both kind.

I will ask for regular bupe just to see if maybe it makes a difference-if he balks I can assure him that IV drugs were never a choice for me and I have no desire to abuse anyway.

I sang today-we did 'Hark the herald angels sing" as a postlude and we really wailed it out just for kicks-I love when we do that. One reason is people start chatting away because the mass itself is ended but we are singing away so we have to "top" them.

lots of fun! I'm so glad God has given me another reason and fashion to serve!

Glen
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #37
Mike_S

Hey Glen, how'd your appointment go, were you able to get the generic bupe?

Mike
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #38
theswan

I forgot to ask. I got 2mg suboxone. I am doing a little better this the third day. I still got bad itching on my arms and feel "woozy" I take 1/2mg to 3/4mg twice a day.

I will stick it out for a few weeks but hope I feel better-I mean my pain is lowered very well but the itchy, headachey sort of "out of it" feeling sucks. I do feel a little used to it as they days go by but it is only 3 days now.

Sang this morning and am thinking of joining another church choir but will wait on that for a while.

Still kinda warm and loving it-Had no coat on for two days now!

Glen
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #39
Mike_S

Hey Glen, happy to see you got your Subs going again. As far as the side effects go, I think those will level out with time, remember your dealing with clean receptors now. The important thing is you've got your pain under control again. Any sleep issues at this dose?

It's good to see how singing with the choir has become such a positive thing for you, I really admire your efforts.

Been unusually warm and extremely dry out here during the day, but the nights are really cold.

Mike
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #40
theswan

Nights being cold is normal here. I heard the desert is also cold at night. Always wanted to watch the stars in the desert's nightime sky

I'm not happy as my arms itch so much. I took 3/4mg and it took over 2 hours then conked me out-like real drowsy. I will try and stick with 1/2mg and see where that leads.

I felt like tossing them again but know better that it may take a week or even two to get adjusted, My pain is better but the price now is feeling "groggy" and itching as well as irriatability.
Libido has nose dived but I'm also due my testosterone injection (I self inject now) New medicare insurance wants a pre-auth so it is taking time. ( I hate the rigamarole they but you through even for a cheap drug, I have to go off in order to have a low testosterone "test score" to satisfy the insurance company, so I suffer because they cannot take a doctors word that I've been on it 8 years!) So maybe my injection will help.

Hope I stick it out as it is so easy to just say "screw it" and toss the pills.

See what tomorrow brings!

Smiling Glen
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #41
Mike_S

I'm really sorry to hear your having so much difficulty. The drowsy feeling I think will dissipate over time, but I wonder if the itch problem might be an allergic reaction. Did you have anything like this when you were on the pills? There's gotta be some kind of a workaround for this, maybe you could break up the dose into like .25mg every 6 hours or so, that might help with the side effects. I hope your able to make it work, living with chronic pain is just not acceptable, you deserve a decent quality of life.

As far as the insurance system bureaucracy pulling this stunt on you, that's just not right, not with a proven track record of having used the therapy for eight years. This is a good example of just how messed up the system is, and why the costs are so out of control.

I wish you the best.

Mike
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #42
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, that's so weird that your arms itch now and they didn't before. Please do try to stick with the .5mg and see what happens especially if it is helping your pain.

I agree with Mike about the insurance not listening to your doctor and making you suffer because of some added bureaucratic paperwork! I hope you get that straightened out fast and you don't have to do it every time you need to fill a prescription.

Let us know how you're doing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's better today.

Nancy
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #43
theswan

I took 1/2mg and will see how it goes. I did itch before but not this bad. I always itched with narcotics.

Thanks I will keep updating and do at least 2 weeks-pain control is the good part which is decent.

Glen
Unread 01-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #44
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, how's the itch - has it subsided any? Fingers crossed it did!

Nancy
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #45
theswan

Hi Nancy

The itch comes on late night but is slightly better. I have adjusted a lot to the dose as far as feeling "woozy" I am at 1mg twice a day and feel a good reduction to pain and in particular, bedtime. I turn often due to nerve pain from pressure. Each turn has been a chore that not only wakes me but cause's me to cry out in pain-that part has subsided a lot-my sleep is better and deeper. I also started "Flowmax" and this makes my bathroom visits less by half! I also had an infection most likely prostate. I'm on 'Bactrim' because of folliculititis ( I take it to prevent recurrance) But it did not protect against this "strain" of bacteria so I'm on Cipro.

Diabetes makes one prone to UTI so between the suboxone, flomax and cipro, it is difficult to say what side effect is what.

Glad I'm getting used to the suboxone, Also started a new diabetes drug "Acarbose" which limits sugar absorbtion in the gut. Has a side effect of loose stools so it may be working to my advantage against the constipation caused by the sub-so far it has seemed to help as well as lowering my fingerstick count.

Days are longer and that helps overall. Get my "pulsed radiofrequency" on the 26th and will report back

Glen
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #46
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, I'm glad you're adjusting better and are getting pain relief and sleeping better. That's great the new diabetes med is working too in both ways!

Yes, the staying light out later is so nice. Please do update us on the pulsed radiofrequency treatment. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it helps!

Nancy
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #47
Mike_S

Hey Glen, great to hear you were able to stabilize with the Sub. I hear ya when it comes to the night moves, from the nerve pressure, I'm dealing with that situation myself. Yesterday I tried using the Sub again, but this time at .25, no side effects to speak of, but not much pain relief either. I think the first time I tried it I was to early in my recovery.

I hope the Cipro works as well for you as it did for me, UTI infections are no fun. It sounds like your Dr.'s are going after the issues aggressively, and that's a good thing, you've had a rough go of it here lately.

Let us know how that pulsed radio frequency treatment works out.

Blessings, my friend.

Mike
Unread 01-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #48
theswan

Hi Mike, Nancy

I'll update as needed. Maybe you need as much as 1/2mg to 1mg to effect a pain reduction.

Keep the faith as it has worked thus far for me. Libido has suffered too but am in 5th day of testosterone replacement so maybe need time to adjust. Testosterone never worked in an 'overnight' fashion anyway. ( Took 10 days to approve but approval should be good for a year )

Smiles

Glen
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #49
Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by theswan View Post

I'll update as needed.
Well it's needed! I want a Mr and Mrs da'Swan update!

Seriously man, how are you? Did you do the radio frequency thing?

Positive energy! -Mary
Unread 02-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #50
theswan

Ok Mary you got it!

Well my doctor left the practice at the hospital and started his own with a couple of associates. So, the upshot is I have to wait for the insurance to clear the new office.

Still hurting but the sub is doing a good job and most side effects are gone or diminished. Still would rather be without the mild "woozy" or for lack of a better word, 'drugged' feeling (funny but never felt drugged while on it before maybe because I was so used to so much then)

Spend a couple of days in Manhatten with my wife-she had to give back her mom's cat who we both became quite attached to (sigh) But "Pucci" is glad to be back with her "mommy number one".

Voice is still getting better, still taking lessons and will expand my role as cantor at church

Glen