Addiction Survivors

Unread 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
maxine211

Question Neurontin and drug test

Hi, I have been on suboxone therepy for about 1 year now. Just went to my PCP and got 300mg neurontin 2 times a day for Carpel Tunnel. It's very severe and I know surgery is the only thing that will help. I cannot afford to be off of work for 6-8 weeks yet so I'm stuck for the timer being. Anyways, I thought I saw someplace that Neurontin might have some kind of effect on the drug test they do @ the sub DR. I will be going up to 800mg 2 times a day in about a month. They work great. Has anyone heard of Neurontin effecting the drug test before? I know it's not an opiate and I have told the PCP about the subs, should I call the sub DR and tell them now? I don't go back till July 13. Thank u!
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
gotoffmdone

I have taken neurontin for nerve pain that shoots down my leg as a result of spinal stenosis. I have never heard of neurontin being an issue with a drug test. Or even a drug screen, for that matter. Which is what they perform at most Drs offices, as it provided them with an instant snap shot.

Any time you take a non narcotic drug that interfers with a drug screen, causing a fallse positive, it is imperative you ask them to send the very same U/A specimen out for actual drug testing at a laboratory known for such testing. That always clears thing up.

wayne

Last edited by gotoffmdone; 06-19-2011 at 11:19 PM..
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
SpAcEdGeD

Why wouldn't you just tell your sub doctor you now take Neurontin? I don't see why you wouldn't?
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
gotoffmdone

I agree with Spacedged. Neurontin is a drug that even the Sub Dr, himself, would not mind writing you for pain, if you ask him and told him you were out of refills. I wouldn't allow myself to get too worked up about this, I doubt it will be an issue but in the event it is, it will be easily resolvalbe, IMO.

I have a PCP DR that I see twice a year because she practices so far from where i live. My Sub Dr is within a mile from my house. I have been going to them long enough that if and when I ask them for things that normally my PCP DR takes care of, my Sub Dr and his staff, especially the office mgr, does not hesitate to call me in things that I would be getting from my PCP if I was at her office.

My PCP gives me Valium on occassion to help with the muscle spasming in my back and shoulder. I mentioned that to my Sub Dr early on in treatment and told them if they found a benzo in my drug screen that I could provide them proof of script. I was told not worry about it that they already kne what i was telling them.

That every month they get, from the state, a copy of all contolled drugs their Sub pateints take. I suppose they sign up to receive that type of prescription monitoring of their Sub patients, or the State of Tn, through their rx monitoring program, just automatically sends that type of info to Sub Drs concerning their patients.But it only concerns controlled drugs. Neurontin is not one of those so chances are relaying that info to your Sub Dr would mean very little to him. As far as that drug causing a false positive for some other contolled drug you would have to explain, I have never heard of that happening, like my taking benedryl with Methadone caused a false positive for benzos during successive screens. After sending the sample out week after week for testing and a specific benzo could never be identified, the methadone clinic grew tired of absorbing the outside source's testing cost that it became a non issue. I really could have tekn a benzo after awhile and gotten away with it. They would have assumed it was the benedryl again. But I didn't.

I would definitely tell your Sub Dr's nurse about the neurontin just so she could put it in your notes for further refference or tell you Sub Dr directly during a casual conversation, that is if you have the kind of Dr that even has those kind of conversations, that they are going to up your neurontin for your Carpel Tunnel pain. Neurontin is used for various things. Chances are he would just ask you if it was working for you or just gloss over the info.

It is obviously a concern you have based on something you have read. Personally, I doubt you should be all that worried about it. But I know how we are when we get something in our head, especialy if we think that something may effect our Sub usage down the road.

wayne

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
maxine211

Umm, I plan on telling the sub DR. All I wanted to know was if it would show on the drug test. Just wondered if I should call now or just tell him at the appt. I'm not trying to hide anything like it seems SPACEAGED is implying. Thanks.
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi maxine211, you might just want to bring the prescription bottle in with you on your next appointment - I don't think there would be a reason to call and tell him now.

This is the only thing I could find relating to drug test interactions:

Drug/Laboratory Tests Interactions

Because false positive readings were reported with the Ames N-Multistix SG® dipstick test for urinary protein when gabapentin was added to other antiepileptic drugs, the more specific sulfosalicylic acid precipitation procedure is recommended to determine the presence of urine protein.

The "Neurontin Side Effects & Drug Interactions" section.

Which I don't really understand. lol But just bring your prescription with you and there shouldn't be any problems.

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-10-2011)
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
SpAcEdGeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxine211 View Post
Umm, I plan on telling the sub DR. All I wanted to know was if it would show on the drug test. Just wondered if I should call now or just tell him at the appt. I'm not trying to hide anything like it seems SPACEAGED is implying. Thanks.
sorry I wasn't implying anything, even if there is a chance something could trigger a false positive in a drug test once your doctor knows you are taking that then if for some reason they drug test you then they will know. Most doctors will send drug tests out to be analyzed by a lab if they come up positive for something. Nuerotin is a very common drug given to people in recovery they use it for lots of off label uses including tremors and anxiety. When I use to go to rehabs EVERYONE was given Nuerontin for something or other.

As far as false positives go along time ago I was in this halfway house thing and they did random drug tests and I was then taking Zoloft I would test positive for Benzos all the time and since they knew what medications I was taking it was never a big deal, that's why I say definitely tell your Sub doctor what you are taking.
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to SpAcEdGeD For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-10-2011), Thank You (06-21-2011)
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
bizzby45

It won't show up on a drug test. It's used as an anti depressant to which was why I was on it. I took a drug test for several government jobs ad never had an issue I think you will be fine in terms of passing -
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to bizzby45 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-10-2011)