Addiction Survivors

Unread 03-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Jack123

Default Generic Brands of Subutex

Hi All,

I was on Subutex for 5 years when it was the Name Brand only. I use it for pain. I was then taken off because of lower back pain which it didn't help. I have 2 pain syndromes. One is the lower back. The other is in my right arm and comes from cervical spine damage. Subutex helps enough so I don't need anything else for it. The Pain doc I was seeing lost his license for being an idiot, and so now I'm back on Subutex. I guess it's just as well, because the other pain pills were getting out of hand and the doc I was going to didn't know how to handle it. Of course now I have to take Generic Subutex and this is the problem. The current generic brand I have doesn't work nearly as well as the name brand did. So I want to know if anyone else has found a difference in generic brands? If you did, has anyone discovered which generics work best? I'm only back on Subutex 7 days. Last week the pharmacy gave me 1 tab to start with until we got insurance approval. That 1 tab was made by a company called Qualitest. It worked very good. It seemed a lot like I remember the Name Brand to have been. The next day I was given the rest of the script, only these are made by Roxane, and they work terribly. These are the 8 mg Tabs I have. The Roxane is so bad that I have complained to the Pharmacy. I'm stuck with them for at least 1 more week. I asked the pharmacist to let me try a different generic brand when I get my next script. He said he'll try. But I need him to do more than try. I need a better generic brand.

So as I said, does anyone else here know anything about the various generic brands of Subutex? I'd like to hear what other people think are the better generics.
Jack123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
stp747

Jack123, I take the generic from Roxane and I have no problem with them at all. I was taking Suboxone before, and these are much better, imo. Steve
stp747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
Sub-Zero

jack123,
depending at what dose you are on, you can get $75 off a suboxone prescription. So if you are on say 4mgs/day it comes out to $45/month after the discount. Suboxone will work the same as subutex for pain.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
SpAcEdGeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
jack123,
depending at what dose you are on, you can get $75 off a suboxone prescription. So if you are on say 4mgs/day it comes out to $45/month after the discount. Suboxone will work the same as subutex for pain.
Sub
That discount ends on 3/31/11 (next Thursday)

While I don't take Suboxone/Subutex for pain I can't tell the difference between any formulation whether it be Suboxone pills, subxone strips, subutex name brand or subutex generic. I guess it depends on the person and the situation.

Last edited by SpAcEdGeD; 03-26-2011 at 01:35 AM..
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Jack123

I am very sensitive to all kinds of drugs, and I've known that from a long time ago. Back in the 90's I was on Darvocet. When the generic came out I could feel a difference right away. Luckily back then I had the money to buy the name brands. Here's another example. This month I received a new generic brand on Cozaar which is a High Blood Pressure med. And my blood pressure has gone up. This brand isn't the same as the ones they had before this. I've always been like this.

I also had Suboxone when I first went on Sub 6 years ago. First my ankles swelled up, and then my lower legs. There were other problems too, I just can't remember what. So I concluded I must be allergic to Naloxone. I was taking the 2 mg tabs of Subutex Name Brand when the Generic 1st came out. I don't know what the brand was on those generics, because I didn't think to ask back then. But I felt the difference immediately, and it wasn't a good difference. Maybe I have a bad batch of the Roxane Subx. The FDA is recalling drugs all the time lately. I do plan to report this to the FDA. Someone gave me a 800 # to call. I wish I had more of the Qualitest tabs to try to make sure it wasn't my imagination. But I don't. So when I get my next script I'm going to try very hard to get the Qualitest brand. Since I was on Subx for 5 years before, I know what a life saver this drug can be. I know it's no miracle drug, but nothing is a miracle drug. I'm pretty sure Subx can help me put my life back together. So I have to push to try another Generic Brand. I don't think I can afford the name brand. Not unless I can get a good discount on them. And all the discounts seem to be on Suboxone, not on Subutex.

Thanks.

Anyone else on Subutex and know what the brand is?
Jack123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Larsy1566

Default Difference between generic subutex brands

Wow, I have been on a roller coaster. I was taking the name brand subutex for over a year and recently was given generic subutex. I've been feeling terrible, sweating, scared, just different overall. I think I should ask my dr. to make sure I get the brand name subutex because I had a round pill that was a generic 2 mg. pill and that seemed like it didn't work well and I was sweating like crazy. Now I have another generic which looks like the brand name subutex and it feels much more powerful. I already am having such a hard time trying to get off these pills that I have been on for 2-1/2 years and I just can not do it. I was going to try to use vicodin to help me through the withdrawals and now I find out that it probably won't work for a very long time since I've been on subutex for so long. This is a nightmare. I'm new here. I belong to another site and they are all trying to help me but I just can't seem to do it. Hope to hear from someone. Thank you! Larsy
Larsy1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
gotoffmdone

For about a year now I have been taken generic Subutex 2mg. Until two months ago I was given the Roxane generic the round white tablet. I asumed since that was all I had been given that Roxane was the only maker of generic Subutex. Then I was given a pill that looked like the oval shaped brandname. It was the generic 2mg Subutex made be a company called Teva. All I know is I can tell a significant difference in the Teva brand and the roxane brand. Is it all in my head. What does it matter. That's where it counts.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Larsy1566, welcome. Sorry to hear about the problems you're having. There are people who've noticed differences between the different manufacturers and some who haven't noticed any difference. Just speculating that it could be something in the formulations (they all have to have the same amount of buprenorphine as the brandname) that makes absorption rates vary. There are some differences in the fillers between Roxanne and the others.

In any event, did you start taking the generic for cost purposes? If so, you might think about sticking to the same manufacturer (request it from the pharmacist) and get on the right dose - no cravings or withdrawals - then restart tapering from there.

As for the vicodin, it's not the length of time someone has been taking it, it's the amount of buprenorphine in the person's system that matters. The higher the dose, the more blocking properties and the longer the halflife will take to work out.

Hope that's helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Sluice7

I just made a long post, and then clicked on the wrong tab,,,POOF,,,,(that hurts)...
Oh well,,,,
I've been on Teva's brand for about 2 months now. They cut better in my cutter.(the Roxane's go all over the place, usually). The Teva's seem to be more consistent in the way they make me feel. They have a slightly different affect on me than the Roxane's. The Teva's tend to make me 'sleepy'. Whereas, when the Roxane brand worked, they made me feel great. I haven't had any trials w/ Reckitt's 'Real' 'tex, so I have nothing to compare them too,(save for Suboxone, maybe).
I heard that a lab called Midlothian just came out w/ a generic subutex. Smaller, less filler? I'm not sure yet but I'm going to inquire about them at my local pharmacist.
Has any one tried these yet?
Those Teva's I'm on seem like they have Ambien in them.....
Sluice7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
deedle

interesting...yes tevas formula seems consistant and solid. I talked to my pharmacist and she said it wouldn't be a problem as long as its in my file which generic is preferred ...that way if there out they can transfer from another Walgreens. easy enough. I'm so medication sensitive I just like to stick with what I know wont kill me or give me sjs. if you find out more about the other new generic... update! tanks!
deedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Sluice7

Midlothian's generic Subutex is now being produced by Hi-Tech Pharmacal out of Amityville, NY. The picture of the pill on their website looked ok. Small, white, round, an 8 imprint on one side and a lined arrow imprint on the other side.
Hi-Tech looked like a small company,(they didn't show but 1 page of products).
I tried to contact them, but have not heard back, yet.
I might have to bother my Pharmacist again, to see if he can contact Hi-Tech. I don't even know if they ship to the west coast or not.
I believe I would take less, if the quality of these generics were better...
later....
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
kdog

Sluice, the Hi Tech's are the one's I get now. My pharmacy, a big chain, switched to them and last time I only got a few of them but this time I got a full script of them. For 42 8 mg pills, it cost $36 out of pocket, no insurance. Less than a dollar per pill and I definitely like these better than the Roxanne's.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #13
Sluice7

kdog,
Let me get this straight. You are a cash paying customer(I am too) and you only had to pay that amount? That's incredible!
The other day I checked w/ my pharmacy, and said that he had heard of the company, checked on the computer for me, and said he could not get them.
Do you mind telling me what the name of the big chain store is?
Thanx much,
Scott.....
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
asouth32

I was taking Generic Subutex called right arrow or something like that. They didnt seem to help nowhere near as good as the other Subutex which was name brand and I gt those at a generic discount. But, Im just happy that they switched me back to Suboxone strips because those seem to help me the most.
asouth32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
Sluice7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asouth32 View Post
I was taking Generic Subutex called right arrow or something like that. They didnt seem to help nowhere near as good as the other Subutex which was name brand and I gt those at a generic discount. But, Im just happy that they switched me back to Suboxone strips because those seem to help me the most.
Was the pill small. round, white w/ an 8 imprint on the opposite side of the arrow?
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #16
caseywr

Default Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Generic 8mg Buprenorphine

I caled Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals and they confirmed that they do manufacture a generic 8mg Buprenorphine. They are in the process of manufacturing a 2mg Buprenorphine, but thoe will not be avaliable until november. Here's a link to US Givernment website with some info:

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...4-d5108c8df550

If you scroll doen to the bottom it shows the packaging but dosent have the picture of the actual pill. This website is very good as you can look up any drug and it gives a list of all the manufactures.

Hopes this helps anyone interested Casey
caseywr is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to caseywr For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-22-2011), Thank You (09-22-2011)
Unread 09-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
Sluice7

Default Hi-Tech Pharmacal

Yes, thanx casey. I ran into that same site by accident the other day. I book marked it this time....
Out here in the San Diego area, I've checked w/ 4 'chain' pharmacies and 2 Ma & Pop stores. One chain store could order from Hi-Tech, but they were too high priced for me(cash payer), as compared to Roxanne's or Tevas'. The others gave me a very rude look and claimed that they never have heard of Hi-Tech. One of the Ma & Pa stores,(that I have done business w/ before) told me that he had one more distributor to check w/ and said that he would call me today. This pharmacy usually gives me a really fair price. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanx again,
Scott...
-BTW, here is Hi-Tech's site link to there 8mg. pill. I couldn't help but notice that the pill has sugar content. Could this be the only binder? I don't know. I'm hoping so. Maybe Nancy or Tim would know.
The Teva's make me sleepy, but I tend not to take as many, like the Roxannes.
There also may be a thousand different factors going on w/ my body, e.g., diet, amount of sleep, time between melts, the way I melt, etc.,etc.,etc.......Oh well, 'That's Life!!!!'
Here's the link; (The whole long link did not show up when I posted. If you just go to the first part where it stops at the .com part, and then click on their products tab, it will show you the 8mg. Buprenorphine med, then click on that...
http://www.hitechpharm.com/products/...ts&ndc=0930-93

Last edited by Sluice7; 09-22-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: link problems
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
kdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluice7 View Post
kdog,
Let me get this straight. You are a cash paying customer(I am too) and you only had to pay that amount? That's incredible!
The other day I checked w/ my pharmacy, and said that he had heard of the company, checked on the computer for me, and said he could not get them.
Do you mind telling me what the name of the big chain store is?
Thanx much,
Scott.....
I have always gotten my subs from Target, by far the cheapest place I've bought them from. And yes, no insurance. The cost is beyond revolutionary for bupe, imho.
One User Says Thank You to kdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-17-2012)
Unread 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluice7 View Post
-BTW, here is Hi-Tech's site link to there 8mg. pill. I couldn't help but notice that the pill has sugar content. Could this be the only binder? I don't know. I'm hoping so. Maybe Nancy or Tim would know.
Hi Scott, I found the list of ingredients in this link of the Product Insert:
http://www.hitechpharm.com/products/..._(0930-93).pdf

Buprenorphine HCl sublingual tablet is an uncoated round white tablet intended for sublingual administration. It is available in two dosage strengths, 2 mg buprenorphine and 8 mg buprenorphine free base. Each tablet also contains citric acid, cornstarch, lactose monohydrate, mannitol, povidone K30, sodium citrate anhydrous and sodium stearyl fumarate. The strengths are clearly marked on the tablets.

It doesn't list sugar, but I wonder if one of the ingredients - maybe the lactose - turns into a sugar when digested?

Here's the ingredients to the TEVA, Roxane and brandname -one and -tex I posted a while ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
This link has the ingredients of Reckitt Benckiser Suboxone and Subutex:
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...fo.cfm?id=7840

This link is the Roxane generic -tex:
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...o.cfm?id=11876

Here's what's in the generic Roxane:
Buprenorphine HCl Sublingual Tablets are white tablets intended for sublingual administration. They are available in two dosage strengths, 2 mg buprenorphine and 8 mg buprenorphine free base. Each tablet also contains anhydrous citric acid, corn starch, crospovidone, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, mannitol, povidone, and sodium citrate.

Also, here's the PI for the TEVA bupe:
http://www.tevausa.com/assets/base/p...orphine_PI.pdf

And the ingredients are:
Buprenorphine hydrochloride sublingual tablets are uncoated, oval, white tablets intended for sublingual administration. They are available in two dosage strengths, 2 mg buprenorphine and 8 mg buprenorphine free base. Each tablet also contains the following inactive ingredients: anhydrous citric acid, corn starch, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, mannitol, povidone and sodium citrate.

So it looks like the only difference between Roxane and TEVA is that Roxane has crospovidone, another binder.

Ingredients in Suboxone:
SUBOXONE is an uncoated hexagonal orange tablet intended for sublingual administration. It is available in two dosage strengths, 2mg buprenorphine with 0.5mg naloxone, and 8mg buprenorphine with 2mg naloxone free bases. Each tablet also contains lactose, mannitol, cornstarch, povidone K30, citric acid, sodium citrate, FD&C Yellow No.6 color, magnesium stearate, and the tablets also contain Acesulfame K sweetener and a lemon / lime flavor.

Ingredients in Subutex:
SUBUTEX is an uncoated oval white tablet intended for sublingual administration. It is available in two dosage strengths, 2mg buprenorphine and 8mg buprenorphine free base. Each tablet also contains lactose, mannitol, cornstarch, povidone K30, citric acid, sodium citrate and magnesium stearate.
Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #20
Sluice7

Thanks Nancy and kdog,
I'm going to study these ingredient pdf's that Nancy took the time to look up.
Perhaps I can find some differences and make my next decision on what brand to buy next time.

Kdog, I priced Target where I live in the San Diego area and they quoted the 8mgs. at $5.50 p/pill from Hi-Tech. I might try a different Target in my area, and 'stress' the fact that I'm a cash payer,(sometimes that helps). I wasn't sure that I made that clear w/ that 1st Target that I called.
Thanx again all,
I'll keep you posted,
Scott......

-I knew California was a pricey place, but $.85 vs $5.50 is ridicu........
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #21
Sluice7

I just tried 3 more different Target stores in my area and they quoted me(as a cash payer) $5.53p/pill, from Hi-Tech,,,,,This is frustrating.
Are you sure of that price, kdog?
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
kdog

unless they ****ed up, but I doubt that. I am on their discount program like I said, so I don't know what that saved me.
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #23
Sluice7

I'd like to find out what kind of plan that would be,,,,
Heck of a deal, kdog!!!
I'm paying $2.23 per pill more, and that's for the cheapo's,(and I also have one of those crazy insurance deals that you can procure from the internet).
I just priced a Target Pharmacy and they wanted $5.53p/pill for the Hi-Tech's.
It's no wonder why they call the left coast,,,"the land of fruits and nuts"...

Right now, I have to go dig me a cave to get into, so that satellite won't nail me on the head...

Bye,,,,,
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #24
Sluice7

Default Teva's back ordered...

Buprenorphine NDC # 00093-5379-56 is currently on back order with a possible release date to our Wholesalers around late October subject to change.

Thanks

Customer Service Call Center Associate
Teva Pharmaceuticals USA
1090 Horsham Rd
North Wales, Pa 19454
Main Toll Free: 800-545-8800,
One User Says Thank You to Sluice7 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-28-2011)
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #25
Sluice7

Yesterday I had my montly visit w/ my Doctor. I told him about my 'brand' situations. He suggested that I go to this pharmacy close to his office,(he sends alot of his patients there). Along time ago, when there was only Suboxone around,(or that's what I was taking at the time), I had priced this nearby pharmacy's cost for Suboxone. And she was way too high, so I found a ma & pa store in a nearby town that had Suboxone for a whole lot cheaper. I did business there until I switched to Subutex. He had a very difficult time ordering 'tex, for some reason. Then I went across the street to a CVS, who said they do 'price matches'. I did business their for awhile, until I heard about the Hi-Tech generic Subutex. And guess what?,,,This pharmacy nearby my Doctor's office had the Hi-Techs! I nervously asked her,(she is the sole owner, a very nice and pleasant person) the price. She was a bit higher than Roxy's/Tevas, but I decided to try them. Her cash payer price was right at $3.86 p/pill, $2.00 cheaper than Target's 'over the phone price'.
I still plan to approach Target(in person) and see what their best cash price would be.
I believe I can do better.
These Hi-Tech generic's, so far are, A/OK. They are really a very small pill. I was surprised! I believe that if they remain the quality that I think they are, I can eventually start to cut down and take less.
That's my ultimate goal!!!,,,but what about the half a pack of cigs?,,,the clonazepam?
Oh Jeezzzzz,(what's first?)........
Thanx for reading my ranting!!!
Scott......
Unread 10-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
ThomEV73

Default Name Brand Discontinued..?

Hello all, I was just at my local pharmacy & for the first time in over two years of being on name brand Subutex they told me that they only had 4 left & when I asked when they would receive more they looked in their system & said that it was discontinued... I know that these are pricey & that there are generics, but they are a lot smaller & I take 1 twice/day split in half & that works fine for me...I've been on the Internet since & can't find anything on name brand Subutex being discontinued, has anyone heard of this..? Ty...
ThomEV73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #27
TIM

Hi,
A couple of doctors told me they received a letter from the manufacturer that they were discontinuing the name brand. There are at least 3 companies making generics. Without a name brand in the market place, expect prices of the generic to rise.

Suboxone film is available and very easy to cut into smaller doses. You can get $45/month off with a copay card, so it might be close to the price of generic subutex.
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #28
Brad1234

How is the teva ? Same as brand?
Brad1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #29
Sluice7

Default Frustrated

Brad,
I clicked on a wrong tab and this isn't the 1st time,,,,,It is late and I'm going to bed.
I wrote out a fairly lengthy post and tried to send, but I don't see it any where.
I'll write tommorrow AM....
Good nite,,,
Scott....
Thank You (12-01-2011)
Unread 12-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #30
Sluice7

Default Generic Subutex

I have only taken the brand name(Reckitt) once, and don't recall much about them. And if Tim is correct, this becomes a moot point about comparing Teva's to them....
I'm a cash payer, and have had to do alot of footwork in shopping around for the Hi-Tech brand of generic Subutex. It's my opinion that these(Hi-Tech) are the best generic's for Subutex. Teva's were better than Roxanne's(the Roxy's wouldn't cut very easy, and not quite the quality of the Tevas). But w/the Hi-Tech brand it seems that I can control my correct dosage better. With the others I was all over the place in taking the right amount p/day. With the Hi Tech's, I'm able to stay within a few mgs. of the proper dosage. They are real small and hard to cut evenly in a cutter. So I just line up the line on the pill that looks like an arrow, and break it in half w/ my fingers. Works good...
I've found out that Ma & Pa pharmacys want your business more than these chain stores do. So my hometown guy was finally sucessfull on his 3rd try to order me the medication from Hi Tech. And he let me have them for the same price as Teva's and Roxy's!
Target stores usually carry the Hi Tech brand. But these chain stores sometimes can be awfully rude and exude a, 'I don't care' attitude. The Target store that I last approached told me that they could not price a discount cash pay until they actually saw the prescription in hand. I haven't tried this method yet, to find out if I could buy them even cheaper.
I'm satisfied w/ my hometown pharmacy. They work hard to get your business.

Scott....
Thank You (12-01-2011)