Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
hopefulinmiamibeach

Default Cheap sub DR.

If you live in Miami, FL or close by, there is a cheap sub Dr. His name is Dr Glassman. He charges 100 for induction and 30 per week after that. UA is 50.
305-940-9300. He also accepts the program where suboxone pays for your meds. good luck everyone. My husband has been clean almost one week and says suboxone is god sent.
hopefulinmiamibeach is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to hopefulinmiamibeach For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-15-2010)
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
hopefulinmiamibeach

Well just to update, my husband was clean since Dec and taking suboxone as presribed by the doctor and now because of the suboxone treatment he is now sitting in the psyiatric ward as we speak. I guess the doctors should learn how to prescribe this medicine. If your gonna see a doctor please be sure that they know what they are doing. Long term on this med at 24mg a day since he started is not right and it fried his brain. We have been together from the start and it wasn't the percocet that fried his brain it was the suboxone. He now suffers from alot of mental issues and takes alot of psycotic drugs because of all of this.
Unread 08-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
SwitzerRulz

Negative...I am afraid your husband was suffering from some mental illness before starting Suboxone, which is probably part of the reason he was an addict to begin with. I have been on at least that amount for over 2 years now and have had no issues like that at all and have never heard of such a thing. Don't be mad at a drug or doctor for something they weren't responsible for. Why do you think it was because of the medication?
SwitzerRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to SwitzerRulz For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-15-2011), Thank You (08-18-2011)
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
hopefulinmiamibeach

Yea you would say something like that. The only problem with that is while your praising this medication, there are alot more people that are going through the same thing that my husband is going through. So, poster child for suboxone, while you may think that theres nothing wrong with this medicine and that being on it for years is good, just wait a few more years till you see an advertisement on t.v. about a class action lawsuit against suboxone, just like the rest of the new medicines out there. Now my post was more or less a chance to warn people of the things that can happen to you from taking this medicine long term. Sorry that you don't feel the same way, but maybe my warning will save someone's life. Oh and by the way genius, my husband did not have any mental issues, he was prescribed oxycodone for his back and I guess the doctor forgot to let him know that it was just as addicting as heroin. He was a hardworking 22 year old man before all of this mess with medicine. Now he's 25 and has bipolar d/o and Schizophrenia. So my friend, since you know so much, what do you think happened???
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
TIM

Hi hopefulinmiamibeach,
I’m sorry to hear about the troubles your husband is having and what you must be going through. There’s no evidence that buprenorphine causes the kind of symptoms you describe. However, it is known that opioids can cover up preexisting mood disorders and other psychiatric conditions. Doctors are taught in the buprenorphine training to look for the reemergence of mood disorders once the patient stabilizes on buprenorphine because the opioids they were taking are no longer be there to suppress the symptoms. Assuming buprenorphine caused this condition might be a distraction from diagnosing the true cause of the condition. Opioids have been studied for years (buprenorphine is an opioid). In fact opioids have been used for medicine for over 3000 years. Methadone (a synthetic opioid) is the most studied drug, of all of the FDA drugs in existence. Many of the attributes of methadone and other opioids share similarities with buprenorphine, making it a well-studied drug. If the buprenorphine caused the kind of things you suggest, it would likely be well known by now. The fact that there is another, and somewhat common, explanation for your husband’s symptoms, leads me to think that might be the case here too and should be the path perused, at least initially. This publication below might be helpful.

See page 73 “Patients With Significant Psychiatric Comorbidity” TIP-40

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-19-2011)
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
hopefulinmiamibeach

Well you say what you will about the medicine but most doctors only take a 8 hour class to be able to prescribe suboxone and thats it, they never learn much more about it. By the way we now live in Broward County, FL (the pill mill capital of the U.S.) and I do believe that after 3 hospital visits to 3 seperate psychiatric wards and each one has same diagnosis of his condition that maybe just maybe your wrong. But there is always the chance that you guys do know more than the doctors.
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
OhioMike

I pay less than 60.00 per month. There are some very fair doctors out there.
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
nan

Hi hopeful....Sorry to hear the problems your husband is having with mental illness. There have been huge strides in treatment for the disorders you mentioned so there definitely is hope! I just hope that you have been successful in finding good drs for his treatment as there are many medications and behavior modifications that can help an individual manage the symptoms.

I am posting some information from the NIMH website that is a wonderful source for information. It is interesting that it is not really known what causes these disorders, and especially interesting to note that a majority of people who are diagnosed with schizophrenia do not develop it until late teens to 30 yrs old. (I have a very good friend whose son was completely "normal" in every way until he was 28, which is when he was diagnosed with schizophrenia.)

The same goes for bi-polar disorder-it often is misdiagnosed early on, and oftentimes folks abuse substances in order to self-manage before it is diagnosed.

I guess it is easy to see why you are looking to "blame" something or someone as it is a tough thing to have a loved one who is suffering with mental illness. But, the key to me would be to focus on how to manage the illnesses and find the best medical help available.

I also wanted to add the information from the NIMH site to let anyone reading this know that the causes are not known-and there definitely has not been any scientific evidence that taking suboxone causes mental illness. Misinformation is very dangerous. That is why I always encourage seeking out studies and research and basing statements on facts.

Again, there is great hope for the treatment for your husband. Medicine has made great advances and with proper treatment and management your husband should be able to get along ok. Best wishes,

nan

Copied the following from the NIMH website:

Bipolar disorder affects men and women equally. It usually starts between ages 15 - 25. The exact cause is unknown, but it occurs more often in relatives of people with bipolar disorder. Substance abuse is very common among people with bipolar disorder, but the reasons for this link are unclear.7 Some people with bipolar disorder may try to treat their symptoms with alcohol or drugs. However, substance abuse may trigger or prolong bipolar symptoms, and the behavioral control problems associated with mania can result in a person drinking too much.

Schizophrenia affects men and women equally. It occurs at similar rates in all ethnic groups around the world. Symptoms such as hallucinationsand delusions usually start between ages 16 and 30. Men tend to experience symptoms a little earlier than women. Most of the time, people do not get schizophrenia after age 45.3 Schizophrenia rarely occurs in children, but awareness of childhood-onset schizophrenia is increasing.4,5

Some people who abuse drugs show symptoms similar to those of schizophrenia. Therefore, people with schizophrenia may be mistaken for people who are affected by drugs. Most researchers do not believe that substance abuse causes schizophrenia. However, people who have schizophrenia are much more likely to have a substance or alcohol abuse problem than the general population.11

The outlook for people with schizophrenia continues to improve. Although there is no cure, treatments that work well are available. Many people with schizophrenia improve enough to lead independent, satisfying lives.
Continued research and understanding in genetics, neuroscience, and behavioral science will help scientists and health professionals understand the causes of the disorder and how it may be predicted and prevented. This work will help experts develop better treatments to help people with schizophrenia achieve their full potential. Families and individuals who are living with schizophrenia are encouraged to participate in clinical research. For up-to-date information about the latest NIMH-funded research in schizophrenia, see the NIMH Web site.

For more information on schizophrenia

Visit the National Library of Medicine's MedlinePlus, and En Español
For information on NIMH supported clinical trials, the Clinical trials at NIMH in Bethesda, MD or visit the National Library of Medicine Clinical Trials Database
Information from NIMH is available in multiple formats. You can browse online, download documents in PDF, and order materials through the mail. Check the NIMH Web site for the latest information on this topic and to order publications.
If you do not have Internet access please contact the NIMH Information Center at the numbers listed below.
National Institute of Mental Health
Science Writing, Press & Dissemination Branch
6001 Executive Boulevard
Room 8184, MSC 9663
Bethesda, MD 20892-9663
Phone: 301-443-4513 or
1-866-615-NIMH (6464) toll-free
TTY: 301-443-8431
TTY: 866-415-8051 toll-free
FAX: 301-443-4279
E-mail: nimhinfo@nih.gov
Web site: http://www.nimh.nih.gov