Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
anabolic1979

Default brand name subutex or generics?

i was on suboxone for almost 4 years which is brand name of course and finally i got switched over to subutex after feeling like crap for a long time. The side ned sides went away but i got the generic subutex and they feel weaker than brand suboxone to me and i have a pretty good feel for the strength of suboxone. anyone else have any experience switching over after an extended period on suboxone? I was gonna get the brand name subutex next week and i am hoping they are stronger since they are made buy the same comp as suboxone wouldnt they be at least the same strength? i mean the nal wouldnt be making the suboxone stronger would it? i dont get that energizing mood uplifting buzz from the gen subutex, its more of a body numbing effect.
anabolic1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi anabolic1979, welcome. There have been mixed reviews on the generic Subutex:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23745
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23459

And this one has links to other threads in it:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23483

When did you start feeling like crap? And what do you mean by feeling like crap? Many people find that when they start feeling crappy, that it's time for a dose reduction and once they reduce and stabilize on the new, lower dose, they feel better.

Are you doing anything in addition to taking the medication? Therapy, support groups, etc? That fact that you're looking for those effects from the medication is what is worrisome - you shouldn't be looking for any effect except to stop cravings and withdrawals, not continuing the addictive behavior of looking for a 'buzz and energy' from the medication.

Again, welcome.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
stp747

anabolic1979, I take the generic subutex and it works just great for me. I was on suboxone for about a year before I switched. Like Nancy said, it's worriesome you are looking for the medication to change the way you feel. It's basically addictive behavior. Even though your looking for a lift, it is still a change in the way you feel. That's why alot of us took drugs, to change the way we feel. Steve
stp747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
mlk_2900

I also take the generic subutex and it works great for me, although I have taken it from the beginning so I have nothing to compare it to. I love how cheap it is, but must admit I hate how long it takes to dissolve, I have read several places that it seems to take longer than Suboxone or the brand name Subutex.

I do agree with Nancy and stp747, it is a little concerning that you are looking to get a certain feeling from the subutex. Though it may give some energy (personally it has always made me sleepy) etc., that can be basically just a side effect of taking the medicine, but to look for it to give you any certain "feeling" can easily fall back into addictive behavior. We all need to be careful to make sure we aren't reaching for our subs to cope, give us energy, create a buzz, etc. Not saying you are addicted to subs, just want to make sure we are all being careful and realize what can happen, myself included.

If you are feeling more tired or numbed on the generic Subutex perhaps you may need a lower dosage. That is the way I felt when I was at too high a dose. It may at least be worth it to try a lower dose and give it a few days to take effect to see if that is the case, since the generic subutex can save you so much money. If that doesn't work and you just feel that the generic subutex isn't working well for you, you may have to switch to the brand name.

Good Luck and I hope you get it figured all out soon!
mlk_2900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
anabolic1979

thanks for the responses. I dont get high from either basically it seemed like it took a few weeks for me to adjust to the subutex. I lowered my dose to 8mg and i feel great. None of the side effects that were making life miserable on suboxone. But i do feel that the generic subutex takes forever to dissolve and seems to wear off faster. I'm gonna try the brand name tomorrow when i get my script and see if it makes any difference. If its the same than im just going back to the gen. I think alot of sub users get a pick me up from the med. I understand its not the goal. Honestly for me subutex has made a giant difference in my life. I was so miserable on suboxone and felt awful. I am much more normal now and dont feel all foggy headed and groggy, not to mention the headaches and stomach problems! ick i will never touch suboxone again. They need to look more into the nal because it obviously has a negative effect on alot of people despite what they will tell you. I just want to get the most out of my meds. I dont want to keep taking a drug when there is a better alternative that will improve my quality of life.

Last edited by anabolic1979; 10-17-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
anabolic1979

Anyways i will write back and describe if there is any difference tomorrow night. I'm very good at noticing little differences in meds and if there is any difference between the 2 than i will notice it.
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
MaJaBe

I switched from Suboxone to Subutex, and switched at the same dose, and immediately needed a dose reduction. I was absorbing the 'tex better, or something, because I was really medicated on the same dose!
Who knows, everyone is different.
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Carmen

I don;t know about brand name working better, but to me, I prefer the Roxane generic over the TEva generic, and not because one "works" better then the other, but because the one time I got Teva brand, most of them where chipped, some where sliced lenghtwise in half, and just about crumbled when barely touched...and I know they wernt old cause when i went to pick them up ,they where still in the shipment box the pharmacy just got that day (I watched them search for it in a box then fill it). So thats the only diffrence I've noticed there, and the Roxane brand and the name brand both worth the same to me, I feel no diffrence.
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
MaJaBe

I'm on the generic as well, I never had brand name Subutex, but I don't know which generic I'm on.
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote