Addiction Survivors

Unread 09-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
danielle

Default Hep C and Suboxone

being that suboxone can be toxic to the liver, am I speeding up the killing process by taking suboxone when I have Hep C. When they did my blood work the first time(active heroin/cocaine use), my enzymes were so high that I was actually told by rehab that I couldn't stay because I was not medically stable. That scared the crap out of me!!! So I went and had my blood work done....months later, and taking milk thistle....and my Hep C was almost undetectable. I wanna keep it that way, and I need to know if my suboxone treatment is actually making it worse. I haven't had recent blood work...and I am curious...
any ideas?
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
toms

That would be something to discuss with your doc. For most of us, the cost of NOT taking suboxone is huge in comparison to taking it. Every med has side effects and it is up to you and your doc to weigh the costs and benefits.

Certainly suboxone is processed through the liver, but I have never heard that it is toxic when used correctly.
Thank You (09-03-2010)
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi danielle, in general, people who don't have compromised livers don't develop liver problems. But with Hep C, it's best to get a liver function periodically during Suboxone treatment just to make sure you're still doing ok with it. Here's a link that might be of interest:
http://www.naabt.org/documents/PCSSh...sBupeLiver.pdf

I found this: http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/pres...ons/Condon.pdf
Page 13:
Buprenorphine appears to be safe and effective in individuals
with acute Hepatitis C

• Previous studies have raised concerns about hepatotoxicity by BUP, particularly among those with Hepatitis C

• Most of these studies had mitigating factors (consuming alcohol, other psychoactive meds)

• In one case study, four opioid dependent patients with acute Hepatitis C tolerated BUP treatment and had improved liver transaminases during their treatment

Bruce et al, American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 33:869-874, 2007.

It would be good if you discussed this with your doctor and had periodic liver function tests just to be cautious.

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-03-2010), Thank You (09-04-2010), Thank You (10-18-2010)
Unread 09-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
danielle

thanks Nancy... I must admit that my liver has seemed to improve. To be honest, I believe that what was affecting my liver was all of the cuts they use in dope and coke....which I was using IV daily.... and at that time, I would experience sharp pain in my side, where the liver is. It was actually shrinking with the drug use....when I would stop, I would feel it more. Now with Subx, I have no pain..... not even a twinge. My enzymes have still remained the same...I am now actually undetectable for sure. It''s a relief, but I know it can come back. This is also why I wont drink alcohol, and I stay away from various meds.
thanks again
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi danielle, that's great that your enzymes are the same and you're not having that pain any longer. Yes, it could have been whatever was used to cut the H and coke. But now, you don't have to worry about that!

Just have your enzymes checked periodically, to keep everything in check.

Glad it's working out!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
ironman

Thank you NancyB for that encouraging post ! Wish I had read it 1st before posting on the other thread.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote