Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
jekmimi

Default Is Suboxone made from liquid heroin????

My husband, who does not approve of me being on Suboxone to kick my 30+ year painkiller habit (have been free of pain meds for one year), was delighted to inform me that his friend, who has a grown son on Sub, told him that his son's doctor warned that Suboxone is made from LIQUID HEROIN and wants this young man OFF Sub within a few months (the son has been on Suboxone for about 8 months or more)!!! He's misinformed, right??? Liquid heroin?? I cannot believe it; I just can't!

So, anyway, my dear husband, who has been a smoker for 50 years (since he was 11 years old) now is insisting that I tell my MD that I have to wean off Sub and HE wants me off of my medicine, which has helped me so much, by mid-autumn. I just freaked out inside! I have been a year with NO cravings whatsoever, very few side effects other than some sleepiness and some weight gain---oh, and the joint pain---and yes, someday I want to be off of it, but my doctor AND my insurance co. has approved my being on Suboxone for another year (probably b/c of the length of time I was on painkillers). My husband was very surprised to learn that my MD says I am not yet ready, and upset, too.

So............the $64,000 question....IS Suboxone made from liquid heroin?? How is this possible? Please, moderators and Survivors, help me with any information you have. Thank you so much; and God bless all of you.
jekmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jekmimi, here's a link that's about buprenorphine:

http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=2

Buprenorphine ('bu-pre-'nôr-fen) (C29H41NO4) is a semi-synthetic opioid derived from thebaine, an alkaloid of the poppy Papaver somniferum. Buprenorphine is an opioid partial agonist. This means that, although Buprenorphine is an opioid, and thus can produce typical opioid effects and side effects such as euphoria and respiratory depression, its maximal effects are less than those of full agonists like heroin and methadone. At low doses Buprenorphine produces sufficient agonist effect to enable opioid-addicted individuals to discontinue the misuse of opioids without experiencing withdrawal symptoms. The agonist effects of Buprenorphine increase linearly with increasing doses of the drug until it reaches a plateau and no longer continues to increase with further increases in dosage. This is called the "ceiling effect." Thus, Buprenorphine carries a lower risk of abuse, addiction, and side effects compared to full opioid agonists. In fact, Buprenorphine can actually block the effects of full opioid agonists and can precipitate withdrawal symptoms if administered to an opioid-addicted individual while a full agonist is in the bloodstream. This is the result of the high affinity Buprenorphine has to the opioid receptors. The affinity refers to the strength of attraction and likelihood of a substance to bind with the opioid receptors. Buprenorphine has a higher affinity than other opioids and as such will compete for the receptor and win. It will "knock off" other opioids and occupy that receptor blocking other opioids from attaching to it. If there is enough Buprenorphine to knock the opioids off the receptors but not enough to occupy and satisfy the receptors, withdrawal symptoms can occur; in which case the treatment is more Buprenorphine until withdrawal symptoms disappear.

It is a partial opioid agonist, but it also has antagonist properties. Who is that doctor that said that, the son's Suboxone doctor? Obviously that doctor does not know what buprenorphine is and how it works and now your husband is using that against you. Why is he against your Suboxone treatment? You're not in active addiction any longer, you're just taking a medication for a medical condition. Would showing him this link help at all?
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=1

I hope that's helpful. Also remind him that this is YOUR treatment and how it goes and when you taper off is between you and your physician.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-29-2010)
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
TIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekmimi View Post
My husband, who does not approve of me being on Suboxone to kick my 30+ year painkiller habit (have been free of pain meds for one year), was delighted to inform me that his friend, who has a grown son on Sub, told him that his son's doctor warned that Suboxone is made from LIQUID HEROIN and wants this young man OFF Sub within a few months (the son has been on Suboxone for about 8 months or more)!!! He's misinformed, right??? Liquid heroin?? I cannot believe it; I just can't!

So, anyway, my dear husband, who has been a smoker for 50 years (since he was 11 years old) now is insisting that I tell my MD that I have to wean off Sub and HE wants me off of my medicine, which has helped me so much, by mid-autumn. I just freaked out inside! I have been a year with NO cravings whatsoever, very few side effects other than some sleepiness and some weight gain---oh, and the joint pain---and yes, someday I want to be off of it, but my doctor AND my insurance co. has approved my being on Suboxone for another year (probably b/c of the length of time I was on painkillers). My husband was very surprised to learn that my MD says I am not yet ready, and upset, too.

So............the $64,000 question....IS Suboxone made from liquid heroin?? How is this possible? Please, moderators and Survivors, help me with any information you have. Thank you so much; and God bless all of you.
First off you can explain to your husband that addiction is not a "habit" it is a chronic treatable medical condition. Imagine if you had another medical condition like diabetes and after 30 years of suffering you were finally stable on a steady dose of insulin. You could now do and enjoy things that your disease prevented. Now imagine your husband insisting you become “medication-free”. Most people can see the defective logic when used in the context of another chronic medical condition.

If your husband is unwilling to read about what addiction is and its treatments (which appears to be the case) he can watch a few videos that explain what we’ve learned about addiction over the last 50 years. Here are some great videos:
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/thefilm...html?current=5
http://www.youtube.com/user/kevintmc.../0/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Buprenorphine is not made from heroin.

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-31-2010), Thank You (07-29-2010)
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
MissSurvivor

What a ridiculous thing for a doctor to say!! Bupe isn't made from heroin hun don't worry. Nancy pretty much explained it all so I don't have much to say! Once you look up the main ingredient in this med it tells you what's in it!
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
jekmimi

Thank you to everyone who responded~~~~to say that this has distressed me terribly is putting it lightly. I am fully determined to never more use opiates, but it's things like this with my husband (who is a Vietnam vet with PTSD, untreated I might add!) that really get me down and make me feel like less of a person. God forgive me, but sometimes I just wish he'd up and die from his myriad of illnesses, INCLUDING diabetes, I might add! He seriously needs to be on antidepressants (at the very least) but won't do it. After our youngest daughter gets married in 3 weeks, I may consider this marriage over. However, I am dependent on his insurance, unfortunately, so I may be stuck. That is, unless he would be responsible for me by law. I must check on this. Thank you and God bless you!
jekmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Jamesisdone

I am sorry you are going through this Can you lie to him and tell him you're off of the meds? I know it sucks to hide a treatment thats not hurting you but apparently he won't "get with the program" Hang in there and see what you can do as far as leaving if he is hurting you emotionally and it's not something you 2 can fix. What would he like? for u to go back on drugs
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #7
Salgoud

Default Ludricrous

Nancy laid it out on a silver platter. And Anglefly2 feels the same way I do.

What I riduculous thing for an educated Doctor to say.

They have a form of buprenorphine called Buprenex that is liquid and in ampoules, but before 2002, it was only a Schedule V. Now they up'd it to a Schedule III. Heroin is a Schedule I and is a semi-synthetic opiate made from morphine. Bup is made from Thebaine and like Nancy said, is a agonist-antagonist and blocks all opiates that are so addicting. You will have to taper off Suboxone, but from my experience, it can't be abused, it is a tool to help get your life together and is a far cry from the killer, Heroin. I would do some soul searching, if you don't taper and get off it too soon you may have a risk of relapse.

I hope the best for you, and send Good Karma to you, your husband, and your doctor.