Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
lonney

Default tooth ache is killing me...need advice please.

I have an appointment with the dentist in 48 hours ( this friday at 5 pm.) Last night I only got 2 hours sleep it was so bad. I've read about some bad experiences at the dentist from people here. things like the anesthesia wasn't strong enough because of the subutex. Should I try to put off taking any sub til my appointment in 2 days so the anesthesia will work or just tell the dentist before he starts to drill and hope he knows what he's doing. What if I lower my dose to 2 mg a day til friday. Will that even help at all if I do that? I don't know if I can go 2 days without any sub.

I have ibuprofen 600mg. but I don't even want to take that. I 'm really trying to be good here, but the pain is unbearable. It's times like this when I really feel like a loser.

Any advice would be nice. Thank you.
lonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi lonney, the anesthesia is not blocked by Suboxone. Only other opioids are. So you don't need to worry about that. There must have been other circumstances that caused the anesthesia to not work for some people, but it wasn't the Suboxone.

Is there a reason why you don't want to take the ibuprofen? It might just help. Have you tried clove oil or anbesol or rinsing your mouth with salt water to see if any of those help?

But if you have the ibuprofen, why not give that a try?

I hope you feel better.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
lonney

Well I guess the dentist doesn't really need to know I'm taking it then right? That's a relief. I thought the subutex might interfere with any kind of meds they use to put me out while they work on my teeth. thanks nancy
lonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi lonney, here's a recent thread from someone who had a tooth extraction that might be of interest.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=24223

There are people who've not told their dentist because of fear of being treated differently, so that is up to you. Just as long as there are no opioids involved in anything s/he does or prescribes. You can always say you don't want anything in the opioid family because you get a bad reaction from them.

Hope your pain is lessened today.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
HumboldtGrown

I too experienced lots of neck/shoulder pain when on sub. Since I've been off, it's like a miricle I don't feel the pain anymore. I even backtracked one day and took a tiny piece of sub, only to feel the neck pain again 8 hours into the day!! I think subs were causing me tension.
HumboldtGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
blackthorn

This is a great thread I have bad teeth and have decided that with my new life even thought its only been a little over a month. I am going to work on all the aspects of me. My mental and physical. I grew up in Foster care in NY they did really take care of teeth. I have always had a excuse why not to do it but now with MY NEW LIFE i am going to work on both. I had already been looking into dentist so this thread really is helpfull thankyou so much.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote