Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
monsterkitty

Default Anyone Been To The Dentist On Sub?

I have a tooth that is hurting off and on today. I am going to call a dentist tomorrow. A while back I saw a thread on here about someone who had a horrible time at the dentist!! If anyone has been to the tooth dr since they started sub, could you please let me know how it was? I am starting to panic, not really over my tooth but over going to see one! Thanks in advance for any help.
monsterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
monsterkitty

Too late to edit my post; no offense to anyone, but please no horror stories, I am really freaking out here.
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi monsterkitty, sorry to hear about your tooth. Don't get panicked over the dentist. Most tooth pain is caused by inflammation and most people only need ibuprofen if they need anything for pain relief after a procedure. There have been quite a few people here over the years who had root canals and they did fine and all they needed afterwards was ibuprofen.

The Suboxone does not block novacaine nor the gas, so you're you'll be ok there too.

So, please try not to be nervous, ok? Easier said than done, but you'll be ok.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-18-2010)
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
monsterkitty

Thank you, NancyB!! I am more worried about the novacaine or the gas than I am about any meds afterwards. I could care less about any pain after the fact, I just want to get through the procedure okay! I feel sooo much better!
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
LKB1956

Hi Monsterkitty, I am having trouble with my tooth also. I did go in to get a consultation and just a reminder, she told me NOT to take tylenol but take ibuprophen. Tylenol can actually increase your pain. I have to get several teeth pulled and I am NOT worried at all. You will be fine. Look what we have all been through already. I hope your pain subsides and you feel better. Your not alone....Take care Linda
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
monsterkitty

Okay, thanks for the heads-up!! I took two tylenol last night, and it didn't seem to help at all, now I know why, lol. I'll call the dentist this morning, I hate the dentist!! I can't have the ephinephrine (sp?) in the novacaine, it causes bad panic in me! Once or twice I have had a dentist ignore this request, and the results were disastrous! A friend of my recommended a good dentist, I'm hoping for the best.
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
okie

I have been a ton of times and never had the sub effect anything..I just hate the dentist. So it always sucks, but I have had root canals, teeth pulled..all sorts of things and no problems because of sub.
Hope your tooth feels better!
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
happytobehere

I just went last week and had 3 shots of novacaine and 3 cavities filled (actually they took out the old silver fillings and are replacing them with the new, white ones) and they took impressions for something between a filling and a crown ... an overlay, I think. Anyway, I asked for nitrous, but the dentist doesn't use it ... because get this, "some of it leaks out" and it gives HIM a headache. So, I had the procedure with 600 mg Ibuprofen and a Xanax. And guess what? I had almost no pain whatsoever. In the past, I would take my own Norco thinking it would kill any pain. This recent experience on just the Ibuprofen was MUCH better than before ... I think it was due to the anti-inflammatory properties. Next day was also fine. I was also less "wiped out" by the whole ordeal. Point being, Ibuprofen all the way, baby!
happytobehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
gotoffmdone

The dentist's Nitro delivery system has a leak in it.LMAO

I wonder if it has ever occurred to him to get it fixed, as opposed to always being a sadist.

His headache dilemma tells me his comfort trumps that of his patients.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gotoffmdone For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-28-2010)
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
sierraraynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterkitty View Post
Okay, thanks for the heads-up!! I took two tylenol last night, and it didn't seem to help at all, now I know why, lol. I'll call the dentist this morning, I hate the dentist!! I can't have the ephinephrine (sp?) in the novacaine, it causes bad panic in me! Once or twice I have had a dentist ignore this request, and the results were disastrous! A friend of my recommended a good dentist, I'm hoping for the best.
I have that same exact problem and you know what the last jack ass oral sugr said when he came in and saw me shaking and crying because of the epinephran?? He asked me what i was on I wanted to rip his teeth and tounge out!!!!!!!
you will be fine if someone sent you to someone they know is good all should be well. Good luck I am a big scardey of the dentist too you are not alone!
Thank You (04-21-2010)
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Jamesisdone

I had to have several oral surguries and I was fine. I had a couple of teeth pulled at once and I felt better when they were out. The "laughing gas worked fine as did the epinephrine. I wouldn't worry too much if you can help it because for me the worrying was the worst part. Hope you feel better and after it's taken care of post how it went so that others who face this don't just have horror stories to go by. You'll do great!
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
monsterkitty

AAAAAACCCKKK!!!!! I have to be at the dentist in one hour!! james you are so right the worrying is the worst part, right now I want all my teeth pulled and I will get dentures so I don't have to do this anymore, lol. Not really, I know in my mind it will be okay, that's what my head is telling me but my gut is all twisted up, I can feel the adrenaline pumping through me I am breathing funny now. I will definitely post after, it's funny that no one likes the dentist, non drug addicts also avoid it. Actually I am glad it is almost here, it is the time leading up to the appointment that sucks the worst. Wish me luck!!
Unread 04-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Jamesisdone

Good luck.... You will be fine and hopefully getting this tooth out will help you feel better
Unread 04-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
TIM

I'm probably too late to post this, but I wanted to let you know that your dentist can legally prescribe you full agonist opioids to treat the pain should it become necessary. Because of the silly outdated laws concerning addiction treatment, some physicians mistakenly interpret the law to mean that they are prohibited from prescribing any opioids to someone diagnosed with opioid dependence (addiction). This is not true. They can't prescribe full agonist opioids to treat the addiction, but they can prescribe opioids to treat pain. I've seen doctors cut someone off of full agonist opioids only because they became physically dependent because they thought they were legally required to. That would be wrong both legally and ethically. This paper explains the law if you need to show the physician: http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23809 (page 306)
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-20-2010), Thank You (04-20-2010)
Unread 04-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
monsterkitty

Well, I will be getting my tooth pulled on Thursday, he is going to put me to sleep using propofol. The problem tooth is a molar that I had a root canal done on about 1-1/2 yrs. ago. I should have just had it pulled then and saved some time, money and pain! I feel better knowing it isn't a raging infection. I always get so fearful about my teeth. He mentioned that I had good teeth, that made me feel good. I have always been pretty anal about brushing and flossing.

I must be doing better mentally. He did ask me if I needed anything for pain and I told him the advil was working just fine. I wasn't even tempted for one second! Before this I would always make the pain sound worse than it was just to get some pain pills. Thank you anyway for the information, Tim.

I did tell him about the suboxone and he said the propofol would be fine with it. He knew a little bit about sub, but not a whole lot. So far, so good!
Unread 04-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
NancyB
Administrator

Hi monsterkitty, it sounds like you found a good dentist. At least he's heard of Suboxone and knew it wouldn't interfere with the propofol, which is encouraging.

Congratulations on not even feeling tempted to get pain meds. I bet that's an empowering feeling to not even give it a second thought!

So, fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 04-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
OhioMike

Kitty, I think your doing GREAT mentally! Congratulations!

Your going to do really well on Thursday and that ole hole will heal up quickly and without incident!

You just stay busy, keep yourself productive and looking for the good things in life!

Mike
Unread 04-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #18
Jamesisdone

Way to go! I hope you are feeling better and less anxious now... And it was good on your part to let him know you are on Sub because it's important to know that the meds being used will work (propofol in this case)
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
monsterkitty

So I lived through the tooth extraction, I was put to sleep with propofol and obviously I didn't die, lol. No versed (benzo) or fentanyl was used, I was only out for about 1/2 hour. I was a bit groggy upon coming to, but I quickly regained alertness. I was not wobbly on my feet, felt the slightest bit thick-headed for about an hour or two. I have been taking advil and it is working just fine! I guess the pain pills aren't as necessary as we would like to think. So if anyone has to be put under while on suboxone, this drug is also an option.

I will be going to my regular dentist in a couple of weeks, I will post about those experiences also.
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #20
NancyB
Administrator

Hi monsterkitty, glad to hear it went well and that the advil is doing the job!

Great news! Will look for the regular dentist update too. Hope it goes well.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-22-2010)
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #21
Jamesisdone

Well at least you know now that worrying was really the worst part and you made it through the procedure without any of your fears becoming a reality This thread will help many others who face going to the dentist while on Sub and it's all thanks to you 2 of my teeth started throbbing the other day and I went to the dentist Thursday... I thought about you and this thread and it made me feel better (however I am not on Suboxone anymore so my fears were a little different) For alot of folks it's scary to go to the dentist but we all know it's neccesary to take care of our teeth. I know for me I have always had problems with my teeth but taking pills made them worse because my mouth always got so dry and that can cause alot of dental problems. There are several meds that can cause dry mouth and usually the phamplet that comes with the perscription addresses it and it may say to chew sugarless gum, suck on hard candy, stay hydrated and take extra care in brushing your teeth... I've even heard of saliva substitution (I've never tried that but it just sounds gross to me lol) But it is important to use one or more of the listed options so that you don't end up at the dentist... Besides sugarless gum is alot cheaper than any dentist visit
One User Says Thank You to Jamesisdone For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-25-2010)
Unread 04-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
caseywr

I have been on SUB for 3 years and just had a root canal. He numbed my gums up real good and afterwards I didnt even have to take asprin or anything. Dont worry everything will be fine.
caseywr is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to caseywr For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-25-2010)
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #23
luluSober

Thank you all so much for your advice. I have a tooth that needs to be pulled or root canal, and for financial reasons I will prolly just have it pulled since it is in the back of the mouth. I was really nervous about going to the dentisit since I don't self medicate anymore , but after reading all your posts I am not scared at all. I have ibuprofen 800mg, I am sure that will do the trick with some rest and relaxation. You all are so supporting , thank you.
luluSober is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #24
Jamesisdone

lulusober,
You may also want to apply an ice pack to the area for about 20 minutes out of every hour you are awake as it helped me and any pain I had as well as with swelling. I think the 800mg Ibuprofen helped me more than pain pills would have... Good luck hon as you'll do great. Let us know how it goes