Addiction Survivors

Unread 03-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
DD22

Default Can suboxone cause severe mood swings

I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with being annoyed or getting upset easily from suboxone. My sister and I both take suboxone. The only side effects I have had are constipation which I have figured out how to deal with and some sleep problems sometimes. But my sister seems to get annoyed and very upset all the time so easily. She has been like that for a long time, but has been much worse since I have been staying with her and that is about the time she started taking suboxone. The smallest things can ruin her day or get her so upset or unpleasent to be around. There have been some things for example like: I was humming or whistling a song to myself, playing my guitar quietly, or just being a goof ball and playfully singing to myself while I'm doing something around the house. I got that from my mom. She can be fine but little things like that can set her off very quick and she can get nasty for no reason. And she never can just say "Hey I don't mean to be rude but can you not to that right now I have a headache." Or something else polite or honest. I'm an easy going person. I'm the type of person that would be like "Oh ya, no problem." But instead she will just snap at you and then continue to be rude and upset and go out of her way to let you know. It comes out of no where and I always will say sorry and be very polite and stay out of her way, which I shouldn't have to do. I don't even hum, whistle, play guitar, or anything like that anymore around her because its that easy to upset her. But Its just not stuff that I do. One time the internet on her phone wasn't working right and she just lost it. She was so upset, angry, and crying. I was trying to comfort her and assure her that it will get figured out and she has insurance on her phone, so everything will be ok. Nothing I said would calm her down. Another time she lost it and was crying and yelling hysterically because her car battery went dead and her phone wasn't working through her car speakers anymore. It was nothing that was a big deal or anything that would cost her any money but there was nothing me or my mom could say to calm her down. Those are just some little examples. She always goes by her own schedule. If we have to be somewhere at a certain time, she is always going to make you late. If you try to hurry her, OH MAN will you piss her off! I could go on forever naming the stupid little things that set her off and most of the time you don't even know why she is upset. Alls you do know is that you didn't do anything wrong to upset her. Alls you can do is stay out of her way and put up with her rudeness and disrespect. If you try to say something or stand up for yourself when she takes things out on you it will just make her more nasty and will do no good. I'm not trying to make her sound like this evil nasty person. I love her to death and there are also many good things about her. But the more time that goes by, the more I wonder what happened to sister I used to know and have fun with. There are many other things. She is just so different and I worry about her. I have been living with her since October and she is changing more and more in so many different ways that don't seem good or positive in my opinion. I mean she has never even sat down with me in the living room to visit or watch some TV or anything once in all these months. Half of the time when she does come out of her bedroom and talks to me, she is just complaining about something. Could suboxone make her like this or does she just have some major problems?
DD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi DD22, sometimes when people start Suboxone they can have a difficult time dealing with things because they are no longer self-medicating with opioids - they're not numb any longer. That could be happening with her? Is she going to therapy at all? That might be helpful for her to learn how to deal with stress now in a different way than she did before. Since it seemed to start getting worse when you moved in with her, do you think she may just not be used to sharing her space with someone, especially if she had been living alone for a while? Would that be contributing to it?

In any event, do you think she'd be open to therapy so she can learn new ways to deal with the things that upset her so much?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
DD22

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi DD22, sometimes when people start Suboxone they can have a difficult time dealing with things because they are no longer self-medicating with opioids - they're not numb any longer. That could be happening with her? Is she going to therapy at all? That might be helpful for her to learn how to deal with stress now in a different way than she did before. Since it seemed to start getting worse when you moved in with her, do you think she may just not be used to sharing her space with someone, especially if she had been living alone for a while? Would that be contributing to it?

In any event, do you think she'd be open to therapy so she can learn new ways to deal with the things that upset her so much?

Nancy
She has been like this for years, even before she ever abused pills.Its much worse now, at least is seems like it. About ten years ago she went to rehab for meth and had a second go around with the meth about six years ago. But even when she was a little kid my mom said she used to always fly off the handle so easy and I even remember a lot incidents. She hasn't lived alone ever. She has never been single for more than a week since she has been 15 and she is 27 now. Her recent husband of 8 years used to put up with same stuff. He used to come to me even crying a few times about how difficult she was. He treated her like a queen and did whatever she asked, but she walked all over him and did the same kind of stuff I've been talking about but even worse with him. I can't even count the amount of times over the years I saw her just loose it for no reason or attack him for no reason (Not Physically). But she seems even worse since starting suboxone. Maybee it just seems worse since I'm around to see it more. I know she does have a lot of past issues to deal with that she has never done. And she is in one on one therapy dealing with things (Which is only because of me). I don't know what they talk about, but I have a feeling that she is not always honest to herself or therapist. I only say that because I have heard her lie to herself and about other things before which I don't want to get into. I have never even heard her admit that she is an addict even. I really do think she is lying to herself about a lot of things. I mean she hangs out with not so good people in my opinion. Her best friend partys non stop and hangs out with drug dealers and ex cons. All of her friends like to go out and party in the club scenes. Her new boyfriend is a bartender that likes to go out. She goes out and drinks all the time. Last week her boyfriend got drunk and smashed her car up, and she got too drunk and fell down and hurt herself. I hear her say all the time "I'm done drinking, I'm not gonna drink anymore." A couple weeks ago she drank too much and did some coke. She told me about it. I know she didn't plan on it or want to do it because she was mad that she did. She tried to blame it on her boyfriend's friend that was visiting from out of town. I just can't get it across to her about changing your ways of doing things when your in recovery. I don't even try to talk to her anymore. I just leave her alone and let her do her thing. She thinks since she isn't doing pills that she is doing so much better. I know for a fact when you are out drinking to 4 in the morning, there will be coke around and other drugs. There is no avoiding it. I bet her therapist doesn't know about any of this lifestyle and friends of hers. I worry about her recovery, but I know there is nothing I can do and I need to focus on myself. I will be moving out soon. She says her therapist says it will be good for her recovery when she has her place to herself. I don't disagree. I think its important for her to have her place to herself. Thats why in the last 3 months I have been out of town for almost 2 of the months to try and give her some time alone. She has also known for the last couple months that I am going to be moving out. With her knowing that and has had a lot time alone lately, There have been no improvements in her moods. So I'm curious whats going to really change that much once I'm gone for good. I don't see how its going to help her recovery that much. She is never home anyways. I guess at least she can invite her friends over to drink now (I'm just being sarcastic). But seriously, I thinks she is really unhappy deep down in my opinion. I hope me being away will help her somehow, but I don't think that is going to really change her mood swings. Wow, I guess I got way off subject there. I went from wondering about suboxone and mood swings to all that. Sorry!
DD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
OhioMike

Hi DD22, when I first began Suboxone I passed through a period when I got irritable for no reasons, it seemed to pass within the first 3 - 4 weeks at the most.

I found that passing through the addiction process and then on into the recovery process can bring a lot of emotional changes in us.

Nancy offered good suggestions and opinions. This can be so vastly different for each of us, so keep all options open when seeking help. The one thing which I learned is we now have the opportunity to problem solve and that we can find answers and solutions, we just have to give the process time to work.

Mike
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi DD22, I'm glad she's at least in therapy. But, as you said, who knows if she's being honest there. It would also seem like her drinking and doing coke and whatever else could have something to do with the mood swings too or making them worse. Especially if she's out until 4 every morning alot. She could be hung over, and also, alcohol is a depressant, which could be making things worse.

You've been very good to your sister and it seems you've done all you can for her. It's up to her to make the changes necessary to change, but it looks like she might not be ready yet. So you concentrate on yourself and your recovery.

Hopefully she'll make the decision to get her life back before she gets hurt.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote