Addiction Survivors

Unread 11-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
bobbyxx

Default Got the generic Subutex today

So I picked up my first 30 8mg Subutex pills today..

They only could get 30 overnight, my Rx is for 60.
The price for the pills was $76

That comes to $2.53 per pill

I dont know what you guys are paying. But I was paying somewhere around 10 bucks a pill at every pharm I tried!

This is a HUGE savings.

They are round, white and have no score on them.

I'll keep you posted on how well they melt in the AM when I take my first one.

This could change everything about Sub treatment, making it affordable to some people for the first time! Very exciting..

We'll see if they work the same tomorrow.. Im hoping there is no differenece, or even if they better absorb than the name brand.

I guess I am one of the first guinnie pigs!

ttys

BBX
bobbyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to bobbyxx For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-06-2009), Thank You (11-07-2009), Thank You (11-07-2009)
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
bobbyxx

PS. If you can get your Dr. to change you over to Subutex, this is the way to go.. Assuming you don't abuse them by IV'in em.. I've heard stories of people IV'in Suboxone and not going into PW.. so I am not sure how much truth there is to the nalaxone working on that note..

IF your Dr. says NO then explain that its just ridiculously cheaper to go on Subutex And if you have no history of IV use, I don't see why he/she should have a problem switching you over.

I don't know when Suboxone will be ready in generics.. This is such a huge savings like I said, this may make it affordable for people who are having a hard time coming up with the way over priced name brand Suboxone.

This is just my experience. I don't try to IV Subs, that seems like a totally stupid thing to do in the first place. That seems to be the reason tho that Dr's are not Rx'ing Subutex, because of the "abuse potential" .. IMO the drugs are exactly the same except to me, that orange taste of Suboxone is horrid to me, I'd rather taste a Subutex really..haha

So, best of luck you you all.. I hope you can get the savings that I just got.

Went from somewhere around $700 a month to $155..

Please let us know if you get em and your experience, I am very curious to see what everyone thinks..

BBX
2 Users Say Thank You to bobbyxx For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2009), Thank You (11-07-2009)
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi bobbyxx, wow! That really is quite a savings, fabulous! I hope they work the same and there isn't a problem with the melting. Is there any marking on them at all, b8 for bupe 8 or something?

I'll await your bupe review tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
bobbyxx

There is a marking on it.. One side is blank and the other side says
"54" and then "411" under it. Its about the size of an asprin.

The bottle just says "Buprenorphine 8mg SL Tablets" on it..

Much easier to cut a round pill than that weird shaped Subutex name brand one tho, that's for sure!
One User Says Thank You to bobbyxx For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2009)
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
gotoffmdone

Man that is good news. Your are right, the ONLY obstacle in getting the Bupe minus the Naloxne will be due to provider reluctance. My first provider did not hestiate to give me Subutex. I had NO history of IV drug use, and the lack of any scarring to prove it.

All the other Drs I spoke with while looking for a second provider was anti Subutex. They felt the Bupe could not do its job without the Naloxne. I had one tell me the Naloxone was the sole deterring factor against using hydros, that if I took another opiate, the Naloxone would assure I would become deathly ill. I asked him why he just did not write for Naloxone and screw the rest of it. He had no answer just a dumb look on his face.

But Drs, even with two years worth of Subutex records in their hand, would not even entertain the thought of giving me what I had been taking from day one. The nurses had not even heard of Subutex. When that is the case, you know Suboxone is all you will get.I have had to just put up with the headaches ever since.

One would assume Suboxone would cost more due to iit having two active ingredients. But Subutex is more expensive where I live. I assume that is because Subutex is preferred, by the consumer, over Suboxone.

$75 for 30 Subutex is a huge difference/savings. Surely, for those patients who have been seen for a while and who are compliant and have all cleab drug screens, their Dr would help them out by giving the straight Bupe. I have the knid of Dr now that I think would do that. They have proof I took Subutex for two years and I have had no trouble with them, or they me.

Next week, I am my starting my third month on the "free meds" program. Any Dr willing to participate in that program, I hope, is the kind of person who will switch me to generic Subutex when the time comes.

Nancy, does the "free meds" program ship only Suboxone, or will they ship Subutex.

One other question I have. Bupe is Bupe. I imagine it works the same way in the brain, regardless of how it gets there. I cannot fathom someone who is opiate saavy, who has a history of abuse/addiction, getting high on injectible Bupe. It seems to me they would just use up their meds more quickly because it may not hold them as long. My Dr randomly contacts his Sub patients and, within 24 hours, we have to go in for a pill count. If someone was abusing the generic Sub by injecting it, there would be more than one sign in which to tell. On the body and out of the bottle.

Is Naloxone present just to dissuade addictive behavior(IV use), or is injecting Bupe a means to get high. I understand if you don't wish to answer the last part, for obvious reasons. I just can not see how it could, given the nature of the drug itself.

Wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
bobbyxx

got this off another site today.. some good info, in case your pharm needs more info to order generic subutex:

Roxane is shipping both strengths of generic Subutex. If your pharmacy does not have them they can contact Roxane and have an order sent to there distributor of choice. Currently Buprenorphine HCL Sublingual tablets from Roxane are available in #30 count bottles and the imprints for these tablets are as follows:

2 mg Buprenorphine HCL 54 775 plain on the other side (NDC#0054-0176-13)

8 mg Burprenorphine HCL 54 411 plain on the other side (NDC#0054-0177-13)

The NDC numbers will make it easier for your pharamcist to order your medication.

Buprenorphine HCl Sublingual Tablets are indicated for the treatment of opioid dependence.

bbx
Unread 11-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #7
Lee Scratch Perry

My Sub doc was under the same delusion! Needing the Naloxone in order for the Bupe to work. Last week I went to him and asked him to please switch me because of the generic being out. He shot me down. I went back again this week on Tuesday and asked him again to please switch me because my Financier said they could no longer afford to pay for the medicine only the doctor visits. Told him how much cheaper the generic Subutex was compared to the Brand Suboxone. He finally agreed but it would only be me and no one else. Also, this was going to be a secret between me and him. The other two people he switched two Subutex in the past didn't do too well with it. Abused it and relapsed with other narcotics.

BUT(!), last week I filled out the paper work to get free Suboxone. Well on Thursday, our weekly group meeting days when we are suppost to get our scripts, he told me I had been approved by the Makers of Suboxone and got my first three weeks of Free Suboxone. So HOORAY!!!! I get free Suboxone for one year. This is such a tremendous relief and weight lifted off of my shoulders. Its a great feeling.
Lee Scratch Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
gotoffmdone

Lee
You are right about the Free Meds program being a huge weight lifted off a person's shoulders.

It really irritates me that more Sub Drs are not willing to do what they must, on their end, so that patients can take advantage of this program. Actually, it is the patients who must gather most the paperwork(proof of income) to gather and fill out. The Sub Dr just has to indicate what dose a person is on and sign their name, with their DEA number. By contract, the Dr must have someone in his office to log in Sub, and lock it away. That should not be of concern because most Drs already log in and keep Sub on hand, for induction purposes. Of course, some Drs write scripts for patients on their first day. The patient must fill it, then bring the bottle in be inducted out of their own supply.

One thing kinda surprised me about the way I get my Sub on the "Free Meds" program. They just hand me the bottles they way they receive them. It is the same way pharmacies receive them. There is no lablel with my name on it, nor directions on how to take it.

That is not a problem from my standpoint, but I have wondered about traveling with Sub that way. A huge deal has been made out of us traveling with such medication. We are suppose to carry Sub with us, in the appropriate rx bottle. It should have a readable label with our name, our prescribing Drs name, quantity and so on.

All an officer of the law could tell, from any of my "Free Meds" bottles, is that I have a Class III drug called Suboxone in my possession, and it's in its original container.

I still have an old rx bottle for Sub I could transfer the Suboxone into it. But I would have thought a label would have been affixed to the bottle before it was given to a patient. Either prior to shipping or once the Dr received it.

wayne
Unread 11-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Wayne, that's a great point about the 'unmarked' bottles. I'm going to call the program people Monday and see what they have to say. It's like do you take the shipping label off of the box and glue that one there? lol

I'll let you know what they say.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Chris_H

Congrats bobbyxx, that is great news. I am in the process of trying to find a doctor to switch me. My PCP and SUB doc (one and the same) shot me down. But I re-signed up for the matching system and 3 contacted me but they want so much money for an office visit that it would not be cost prohibitive to switch to them. So off I go searching more.

If I cannot find one by my next visit I will ask again and go from there.
Unread 11-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
bobbyxx

Nancy,
maybe there is something that people can print out and bring to their Dr
and show them that it's ok to switch to 'tex..

I've read that even when you IV suboxone the nalaxone doesnt do anything.

so... that being said.. why not 'tex?

Dr's need to be INFORMED..

IF you are NOT an IV user then why not 'tex? makes not sense why they wont switch you..

oh well..

lets see what happens..

but maybe there's something they can print and bring showing that it's ok..
I dunno.. I just want people so save $$$ .. Cuz this reign of Reckitt needs to end..
Thank You (11-07-2009)
Unread 11-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi bobby, there's really nothing to print out because everything says that Suboxone is the preferred formulation, so that would just backfire and reinforce that they can't prescribe -tex.

Tim just posted about -one/naloxone in this thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=22591

Hopefully more doctors will just realize that saving money for the patient can mean the continuation or the starting of treatment.

How's the generic working out?

Nancy
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
bobbyxx

you're right, it would backfire..

oh well, I guess every dr is going to have to be convinced one at a time.. hopefully they will help their patients and do the right thing..

good luck everyone!

so far so good on the generics.. I think they melt faster actually.... taste slightly dif..
but they are round, so easier to chop up.. those subutex's were shaped weird and it was hard to tell when you cut em up what dose you were really taking, you know?

at least with it being round, it's a little easier..

bbx
Unread 11-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
gotoffmdone

You really would be surprised the number of people answering phones in Sub Dr's offices that, if you asked them if they used Subutex, would have no idea what you were talking about. When the girls in the office have no idea what Subutex is, it is a pretty safe bet the Dr only uses Suboxone.

Nancy, as far as the bottles being not labled, the way they look when handed to me is this. Each bottle has that insert(all the info concerning the drug that is really for Drs and pharmacists) glued to the top of the bottle and not inside it. The nurse that logs in the bottles scribbles my name somewhere on the insert. That is so they know which meds belong to which person, as they have 2 on the program.

I carry with me the appt card I am given for the following month. I suppose a cop could use that to contact the Drs office but they are closed at night, on Weds and weekends.

Even if they would call, they probably would not do it in the field.

This really should not be a concern. I do not drink and, even if pulled over for a blown taillight or during a routine roadblock, there would be no reason for them to be looking through the car. I would refuse, if they asked consent to search, and make them bring out their drug sniffing canine. If the dog hit on Suboxone, I would take that as time to flee this country.

wayne
Unread 11-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
So.Cal.

From what i heard over the years they 2mg subutex avilable but the smallest in mgs was 4 for suboxone. but when i was in treatment i was surprized that they had 2mg tablets of suboxone.
TT
So.Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #16
ironman

I keep several old bottles for the labels. I noticed that when carrying the bottle in my pants pocket the ink wears off real quick. Considering the police can really make your life difficult ie if they locked you up for possession of a narc w/o Rx (properly labeled container) and held you for trial you're gonna have a tough time getting your next dose in the county lock up ....SO, I went to Walmart and visited the household supply section, bought some clear shelf liner, cut to size and wrapped it around the label. It protects the label perfectly. I keep them in my pants pocket btw so that if
I'm ever 'unconscious' for whatever reason, medical personal will be more likely to find the bottle in my pocket while looking for ID. I also crushed some up and put in tin foil then in my wallet - DUMB IDEA ! I've since discontinued that practice (WHAT was I THINKING !) but thats how worried/neurotic I am about getting stuck somewhere w/o my Sub. Anyhow, the clear shelf liner works great by the way as a home 'laminating' material. Protects pictures, cardboard membership cards etc.
Thought I'd play 'Hints From Héloise' here :-) Hope it comes in handy for someone !
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #17
JDK613

Good idea for label cover, I keep mine in my purse so I will have to try that. I, too, am very afraid of ever brong somewhere that I cannot get my med when I need it, this is an extremely scary thought to me. A dr I had been seeing me wanted me to only keep it at home but I feel alot better keeping it on me.I would be way too nervous to have sub at home w/out me there, what if someone broke into my house and stole them?? I have never heard of 4mg sub, only 2 & 8 mgs.
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
bobbyxx

I think if you carred a letter or an Rx from your Dr. along with the bottle of free subs, if you got pulled over, it would be enough for them. That is just my opinion.. I don't know what the laws in each state are.

But it is a great idea just to keep an old bottle (if you have one) from a previous Rx and just dump the new ones in there, that way they couldn't say s**t!

The generics say nothing but numbers on them, and a cop (unless he has a pill identifier book in his car) would know what they are, but then again, if you got the generics you'd have the bottle.. But, in the rare (for me every day) instance where you bring a Sub or two with you in the car, and don't wanna bring the entire bottle (god forbid someone broke into my car and stole ALL my subs) you could simply lie and say they are motrin or something.. haha

I guess the "street" value for subs is huge. I personally have never bought one from the street.. But I can see why police are cracking down on the sub "black market" as, from what I hear, people are selling 8mg for upwards of $20 a pill!

Im sure the cops have all been sent a memo to look out for orange hexagon (or whatever shape that is) and check to see if the person has the Rx for it..

You def don't wanna "catch a case" for a drug that's helping you in your recovery, as opposed to getting busted with 50 Oxy's in your car!

So be careful , my fellow submariner's!

bbx
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, I put the info about the free meds labels here so more people would see it.

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=22943

Nancy
Unread 11-11-2009, 02:33 AM   #20
bobbyxx

so, with some experimenting. I find the generics don't melt quite as well as the name brand subutex.

So today, I used my trusty Rite Aid brand pill slicer, crusher, and storer to crush the pill into a powder.

I simply poured the powder under my tongue, and whammo , in like 2-3 mins it was completely absorbed ..

I don't know if anyone has tried this with Suboxone or Subutex (name brand)
but i can tell you, if you have problems with those suckers melting under your tongue, this is a great option .. Even with the name brand pills, I am certain that it will absorb better and faster in this "powder" form..

This is just my opinion...

oh , by the way -- I turned 39 yesterday!!!! and sunday I had a little party with about 10 of my friends, we played "Rock Band" on XBox 360, I BBQ'd - which was a total disaster by the way.. We had alot of fun... but man, im gettin up there in the age dept. it's time to stop f**kin around with this recovery. I need to suit up and show up and do everything I can to beat this disease!

ADDICTION IS THE ONLY DISEASE THAT WILL TRICK OR STRAIGHT CONVINCE YOUR MIND INTO THINKING YOU DONT HAVE A DISEASE!

jly!

Thanks for listening,
BBX
Thank You (11-11-2009)
Unread 11-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #21
Lee Scratch Perry

I got my first bottle of free from the manufacturer, #30, Suboxone today. Asked the doctor and he told me to put them in the most current, empty from the pharmacy with all the details, bottle that was given to me

He handed me the bottle in the bubble wrap they sent it in. Wrapped around the cap was my full name and some other info. Doctor told me it looks more legit if I put it in one of my old bottles.
Unread 11-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #22
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Bobby, Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like a good day, and a good time to start a new chapter.

Thanks for the generic update and review! Have you noticed any difference between them and the regular -tex besides the slooow melt?

Yes, jly.

Nancy
Unread 11-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #23
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Lee Scratch Perry, does that info that was wrapped around the cap look like a prescription-type thing? Do you know if thats what was attached to the packing slip that the Dendrite person told me about?

Just curious.

Thanks and congrats on getting the free meds!

Nancy
Unread 11-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
gotoffmdone

Nancy the bottles are wrapped in that celophane looking stuff that pops when you squeeze it.

wayne
Unread 11-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #25
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Wayne, next time you go, see if you can check the packing slip that comes with them. I guess that's where the label is that you can put on the bottle. I'd be interested to see if it's there, what it says, etc.

Thanks!
Nancy
Unread 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #26
sharonver

It has been about 2 1/2 weeks since I switched from subutex to the generic brand bup. After the first few days I didn't notice any difference between the two, then I got a bad cold and was sick for about a week, cold is gone, but I'm getting headaches every day and some body aches, just don't feel like myself. I am hoping that it's not the generic med, I have high hopes for it because the difference in price is awesome!!! So each day I hope that I feel better, so I can stay on the generic brand. Any others have any reactions to the new generic med?

Sharon
sharonver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #27
neisy58

hi sharon,
i hope with time and your cold symptoms go away,you don't feel much of a difference with the generic.
i know if i had to keep paying the price i was paying 8.40 a pill,i would have had to ask my dr for the generic subutex.
the problem with that is he doesn't prescribe it, and i don't think he will make exceptions.
i finally got medicare pt. d and only pay 6.00 a month for 30 8 mg pills.
it was a very rough 3 months and i had to pay by the week to keep getting them.
good luck and i hope it all works out for you.
denise
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #28
Lee Scratch Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi Lee Scratch Perry, does that info that was wrapped around the cap look like a prescription-type thing? Do you know if thats what was attached to the packing slip that the Dendrite person told me about?

Just curious.

Thanks and congrats on getting the free meds!

Nancy

It's just the info sheet they give you if you get the bottle in a box. Just the gemeral info.
Unread 11-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #29
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, next time you get your meds, ask for the packing slip and see if the proper information is on there. The Dendrite number is: 866-512-2216
You might want to give them a call if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Nancy
Unread 11-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #30
RemissionRocks

Hello everyone!

This is so cool that a generic of subutex is available! I got really excited about it. I called my pharmacy and gave my pharmacist the NDC #'s. She said the medication is temporarily unavailable, but the cost for 10 8mg pills would be $65. I currently pay $50 for 10 pills. I really have no right to complain about cost since I pay $60 to see my doctor every two months, and I only take 2mgs per day.

I really hope that having a generic available will help people. Lots of physicians out there, including my own, are reluctant to prescribe Subutex (generic or not) instead of Suboxone due to the lack of Naloxone and its IV abuse risk potential. Do we have an estimated release date of a generic Buprenorphine w/ Naloxone?

For the first time ever, about two weeks ago, I saw a Suboxone pill on tv. It was on MTV, the show "Gone Too Far" w/ DJ AM. The girl was really into heroin. The showed her taking this pill at a detox facility. They did not name the pill. They didnt even say it was buprenorphine. All they said on the program was that this unnamed pill would help with withdrawal. The girl should have spoken more about her experience with the medication, especially since its on MTV and MILLIONS of people were watching. I don't know if they left the name of the drug out due to copyright, or what the deal was with that, but it was very disappointing. They showed her taking an 8mg pill. She bit half of it off and then talked for a while and thats all that was shown.

I was on another website last week. It is ran by a doctor who is in recovery himself, who prescribes suboxone. He was talking about how people should start referring to Suboxone and Subutex treatment as "bupe" or buprenorphine in the event a generic would come out to avoid confusion. I'm on the fence about that. I don't think we are at that point yet with regards calling Suboxone bupe only and getting rid of referring to it as Suboxone completely. Maybe it has something to do with my loyalty to the brand? Haha...

Best Regards,
John
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #31
MicheleJ

I am just curious what would happen, and (maybe will happen) if everyone who is currently on brand name Subutex switches to the generic Subutex.
As long as they don't have any trouble with it (like side effects from the new ingredients), and I would expect that most won't, then why would anyone still take the brand name Subutex?
I mean, I understand that there will always still be some people who won't change, but, due to the price difference, I can't imagine why most people who are on Subutex won't switch to generic Subutex. And, if that was to happen, how would the makers of the brand name Subutex stay in business? Are the makers of Suboxone the same makers of the brand name Subutex?
Actually, this question would apply to any medication that has a generic, not just Subutex. How do all these drug companies stay in business if everyone starts taking generics instead? Does anyone know how this works? I'm just curious.
Unread 11-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #32
RemissionRocks

Reckitt makes both subxutex and suboxone. Since there isnt a generic of suboxone, i don't think they have anything to worry about yet with regards to losing business. And correct me if I am wrong, but the majority of people who are on buprenorphine maintenance receive suboxone, not subutex.

I know that sometimes drug companies actually make and sell their own generic. I dont know the generic name but Janssen who makes Duragesic owns the company that makes the generic fentanyl patch.

Reckitt should do something similar when the rights to Suboxone are about to expire and a generic can be available to the public. Thats just my opinion...
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #33
SpAcEdGeD

I'm just copying this from the other thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAcEdGeD View Post
Do you research before you go to a pharmacy and get these. I had my doc switch me to subutex and I called both CVS and Walgreens and they both said they are on backorder until january. So I called a small mom and pop pharmacy and they were able to order them and had them in less then 24 hours. If i would have got them from CVS or Walgreens they would have cost around $54 at the small pharmacy it cost me $120 for the generic. So I didn't end up really saving any money this go around but will most likely save some cash next time I have to fill my Rx
And here is what they look like for those interested
http://i47.tinypic.com/678dbr.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/3444k1f.jpg
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...d=1#post354307
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #34
SpAcEdGeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleJ View Post
I am just curious what would happen, and (maybe will happen) if everyone who is currently on brand name Subutex switches to the generic Subutex.
As long as they don't have any trouble with it (like side effects from the new ingredients), and I would expect that most won't, then why would anyone still take the brand name Subutex?
I mean, I understand that there will always still be some people who won't change, but, due to the price difference, I can't imagine why most people who are on Subutex won't switch to generic Subutex. And, if that was to happen, how would the makers of the brand name Subutex stay in business? Are the makers of Suboxone the same makers of the brand name Subutex?
Actually, this question would apply to any medication that has a generic, not just Subutex. How do all these drug companies stay in business if everyone starts taking generics instead? Does anyone know how this works? I'm just curious.
Reckitt is a massive company and they make more then just Suboxone/Subutex. They aren't going to go out of business they makes tons of money off of this. If you think about what they charge for the medication vs what it costs to produce I'm sure they come out well over the top. Before the relase of the generic they basically had a monopoly going on.

http://www.reckittbenckiser.com/Our-brands

Last edited by SpAcEdGeD; 11-20-2009 at 12:21 AM..
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #35
GratefullyRecovering

I wish my Dr would prescribe the generic subutex for me! He said that he cannot prescribe due to the fact that is abused in Europe with people injecting the medication. That is just ridiculaous! And I also think that the pharmaceutical are getting in his head so that they dont lose business due to the fact that suboxone will be less prescribed and the subutex more prescribed. I really cannot afford 8-10 dollars a pill, but I suppose I should be grateful for the medication, even if it does cost too much! Its just sad that when people abuse medication and ruin it for the rest of us!
GratefullyRecovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #36
MissM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefullyRecovering View Post
I wish my Dr would prescribe the generic subutex for me! He said that he cannot prescribe due to the fact that is abused in Europe with people injecting the medication. That is just ridiculaous! And I also think that the pharmaceutical are getting in his head so that they dont lose business due to the fact that suboxone will be less prescribed and the subutex more prescribed. I really cannot afford 8-10 dollars a pill, but I suppose I should be grateful for the medication, even if it does cost too much! Its just sad that when people abuse medication and ruin it for the rest of us!
I've heard of this being a problem for quite a few people on other forums as well. I was one of the minority apparently, my doctor said he trusted me when I asked him to, and so far I'm the only patient he has switched to generic subutex from suboxone. Doctors think that the blocker in suboxone is the naloxone, when in actuality the blocker is in the bupe itself. I'll try and help you find some links that back up this fact, from doctors and such. It helped me to print some info. out to show my doctor. It just amazes me that all these 'certified' doctors don't understand that the naloxone part of the sub. isn't what got us clean in the first place.
MissM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #37
NancyB
Administrator

Hi GratefullyRecovering, to follow up on what Miss M posted:

What is the Naloxone for?
http://naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=64

How buprenorphine works:
http://naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=8
http://naabt.org/collateral/How_Bupe_Works.pdf

Are you eligible for the free meds?
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone

This thread has prescription discount cards:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

Also, shop around for the best price, as the price can vary quite a bit - even within chains depending on the location.

Nancy
Unread 11-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #38
GratefullyRecovering

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi Dan_W, to follow up on what Miss M posted:

What is the Naloxone for?
http://naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=64

How buprenorphine works:
http://naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=8
http://naabt.org/collateral/How_Bupe_Works.pdf

Are you eligible for the free meds?
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone

This thread has prescription discount cards:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

Also, shop around for the best price, as the price can vary quite a bit - even within chains depending on the location.

Nancy
Thanks Nancy! I will read these threads, check out the discount card and see if I can save some money.
GratefullyRecovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #39
MissM

Thanks Nancy, I believe that was one of the places I'd seen the exactly what the naloxone is for, and in a very relevant place! I don't think any doctor would argue with what the facts are on Naabt!
MissM is offline   Reply With Quote