Addiction Survivors

Unread 11-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
amb128

Default Ignorance at the Dr. office

I have to get this off my chest tonight. After chat last night,using the advice I received I called the Dr. this morning while I was at work. The nurse gave me an appt. at 3:00 this afternoon. Okay, so I print out the papers Nancy e-mailed me, drive the 45 minutes to takes to get there and somehow arrive around 2:15. I stayed outside awhile talking on the phone because I knew I was early, then went in. I only ended up sitting in the waiting room maybe 5 minutes then a nurse calls me in. The nurse does her usual pee in a cup, weigh me so on and so forth. After, she puts me in side waiting room and before she closes the door looks at me and rudely says "Just so you know this will not happen again. If you arrive early I will not bump you up front of other patients." First, I never asked to be bumped up in front of anyone. I was actually surprised I even got an appt. today since my visit wasn't supposed to be till next Monday. Second, why the attitude? So, me being who I am I take this personally. I feel somehow I'm responsible for doing something wrong. The Dr. comes in shortly after. I'm nervous as he--. I guess because I feel like I'm some drug addict trying to get more. Like the behavior was all to familiar. Except this time I know in my heart that I'm doing the right thing being there. He asks me whats going on, why I'm there early. I told him about my cravings, about how I'm doing all the things I'm supposed to and still feel as if I'm barely holding onto this 29 days I have. He comments on the fact that just last Monday I came in and spoke about the same feeling and he upped me 2 mg. to 10 mg.a day. So I give him the info. Nancy sent me(thanks) and he glances over it. He doesn't even pretend to read it. He starts telling me how he's giving me the equivalent of some large amount of morphine(I can't remember what). Then he says he won't give me more because he thinks I'm selling my medicine. This is after he has counted my pills I have left. I told him I don't need to sell them to make a living. That I own a cleaning business and I do pretty well taking care of my finances with that. I was so hurt and frustrated by this time. He starts texting on his phone while I'm sitting there trying to explain whats going on with me. I don't think he listened to a word. He wrote me a script for 5 more 8 mg. pills and told me to come back in one week with as many quarters as I could. I have in my bottle at the time already 8 1/4 or 8 1/2 left. I asked him a total of three times how much he waned me to take now every day. He never answers me directly, just keeps repeating, "come back with a much as you can." I'm so frustrated! What does he want? Does he want me to somehow have control over my addiction because it's to much trouble for him to actually work with me on this? He ends up telling me some story about his mean brother and his nephew who trashed his extra home. I'm sure I was visibly shaking by this time. I took his prescription and left is office and cried the whole way home. It's so hard for me to reach out for help in the first place.
On the positive side of things though...I did get more med. But I guess it's up to me to figure out how much I need to make me feel better. I'm going to try 12 mg. tomorrow and see how that works.
I know this went on and on but I had to get it out. I'm not someone trying to make money off my Sub. nor someone trying to get moved ahead of other patients.I'm also not a therapist to my Dr.I'm someone trying to get her life in order.I'm a 32 year old single mother of two beautiful young girls who need their mother. I'm someone in recovery who may once in awhile need my Dr. to pay attention.Thanks for listening-I know someone out there took the time to read this.
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Oh my god Alene. I am sitting here shocked after reading this. I feel so badly that you were treated so horribly by not only that doctor, but also the nurse when you got there. I can't believe what he said to you. Please, don't let that shake you any more. He is just ignorant to the fact that there are people who actually need to take more than HE thinks they should.

My guess is that he wants you to take the lowest dose you can so that you have extra to bring to him? I don't know. That whole thing is just so strange!

See how 12mg works tomorrow. IF it doesn't don't be afraid to go to 14mg or 16mg.
It's what works for you. Did you leave those papers in his office so that perhaps he could read them and learn something? If you want, I'll be more than happy to send him his own copy of the TIP40 and the resource kit. I won't mark anything in it, so it would look like more of a mass mailing rather than that he's being singled out. Just let me know and it's done.

You're doing the right thing, you know that, we know that. Hopefully it will sink in to him that not everyone is comfortable at 8mg. Here's the link on how to find doctors, if you're interested in maybe finding a new one:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259
Shame on him.

Now try to relax. Don't let his ignorance drag you down.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-03-2009)
Unread 11-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
Cally

Alene,

I just read this. I am so angry I am shaking. No one had any right to speak to you or treat you this way.

Your doctor is obviously extremely ignorant about addiction. I don’t know why he has chosen to be a provider of suboxone/subutex if he has no understanding or compassion for people who have the disease of addiction.

You went to your doctor seeking medical advice, you have done the right thing, always remember that. You are in control, not this doctor.

It may be a good idea to find another doctor. Addiction doesn’t go away so you will always need a doctor you can depend on for proper treatment.

You have come so far in these 30 days. You have shown me what a strong woman you are. Use the doctor finder feature here and interview a doctor that will treat you and your illness with dignity. You deserve the best medical care you can get.
Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Cally For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-03-2009)
Unread 11-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
Jamesisdone

Please find a new doctor b/c he's a quack!!! You DON'T deserve what he or his office staff did to you!!!!!
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
amb128

I hate to hear anyone so upset at my Dr. appt. Thanks for the support though, I knew I would receive it here. I am going to look for a new Dr. though, as you are right I need one who will take the time to help me figure this out rather than leave so much of it up to me. But, I still want to know-Do y'all think I should just move up to 12 mg. from the Mg.? What do you recommend as he didn't give me any advice on what to do with the extra 5?

Last edited by amb128; 11-03-2009 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: needs correscting
amb128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
amb128

Sorry Nancy, early in the morning here. You already told me what you thought I should do-thanks.
Unread 11-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Alene, you can do a couple of different things. You can go to 12mg, if that doesn't work, go up 2mg more to 14mg, and then to 16mg if needed. You might not need that whole extra 6mg.

Or you can go directly to 16mg, stabilize there and then revisit once you're stabilized there - which takes about a week.

My opinion only, try the 12mg as 16mg might be a bit too much of an increase. You can always go up, but when reducing, it takes a couple/three days to fully happen.

Does that make sense?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again! We were posting at the same time. lol

Nancy
Unread 11-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
OhioMike

Incredible, but, not surprising.

I would find another doctor, as the one you have doesn't have a clue what he is prescribing and knows nothing about this disease.

As I am always thankful when doctors take the time and effort to prescribe this medication, frankly some just shouldn't be permitted to and this is one of them. Not only does the why he prescribe the medication set people up for failure, but, so does his demeanor.

You deserve better. Learn from this and go interview doctors and find yourself a good one!

Mike
Thank You (11-03-2009)
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
Jamesisdone

Do you have enough in case you have trouble finding a doctor??? Also PLEASE don't feel bad that we are upset with your doctor... Hey it's our "job" lol
We care about you and want you to have a good experience!!! Please let us know about your progress or lack there of (although we don't want you to have a lack!!! )
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #11
Jamesisdone

Nancy: I have noticed (because you're so awesome of course) that you post at the same time as others often lol "you so funny!"
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
rolltide32

Hey- Just wanted to add maybe it's a southern thing....My sub doc - well to be honest I'm still trying to figure out. He seemed concerned the First visit, the second visit I was very sick with "the flu"??--I don't know now looking back if in fact I had "the flu"..but anyhow he gave me steriods antibiotics etc. and another script for sub..I was only on sub for maybe 12-14 days when I saw him the second time and he didn't tell me to fill my script he just gave me so I put it on hold at the pharmacy..considering it was the exact same mg he just gave me my first visit 12-14 days before.. ...See where I'm going with this??My dose may not have been right to start with. I think I suffered for no reason..I guess some doctors care more than others..We will see--I go back to see him this week-wonder what will be said-or not said rather lol Glad to have people who care. This site is awsome!
rolltide32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
ex-opiatelover

u right rolltide! some drs care way more than others do! i think its just a reflection on their on lives! when u are a dr u cant be nice one day an crappy the next! thats why that first couple of weeks is suppossed to be introductory period, where they adjust ur dose! not my dr he give mine an sent me home! said call if i had trouble!! well i called him an then got in trouble!! lol!!!
ex-opiatelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
JDK613

Yes Defiantly find a new dr asap!! He does not have a clue! He wants you to bring back what is left of your meds? You shouldn't have any left! Especailly this early in your treatment. He should be prescribing you the exact right dose that works for you, whether it be 8mgs or 32mgs a day, so you have exactly enough to keep you stable w/out withdrawals and cravings until your next visit. Go to the dr/patient locator that is on this website. I don't know where you live but there are some areas that do have quite a few of sub drs to choice from (if you are lucky enough to live in one of thoses areas). Just because a dr can pass the sub course and get a certificate does not mean they understand addiction, as we have seen here. Imo, take the above advise an interview as many drs as you can to find the best one for you, one that clearly understands addiction and sobriety. Your girls deserve for you to be the best mommy you can be and this idiot of a dr isn't helping you. You should of been stablilized weeks ago. You should not have to feel like you are repeating old addictive habits when going to your sub dr. That's the reason why you are on suboxone-to NOT be repeating those old habits & having your life back. Find yourself a good sub dr and you will be fine. But do it very soon so you don't run out of sub!
Thank You (11-03-2009)
Unread 11-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
tedward1555

Alene;
You might want to try calling the help line at Suboxone direct. My friend went there first when he was looking for a Doctor. They are awesome. They were very kind, understanding and helpful. They will give you as much time on the phone as you need and they will call you regularly for followup to see if you are having any problems at all. So sorry to hear about your Doctor treating you that way. I'm sure Suboxone would not like that at all. They probably will be extremely helpful in finding you a new doctor. Worth a try.
Hang in there.
Ed
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
amb128

Thanks-I'm looking into it already. I am going to go to my appt. this coming Monday though and see how it goes. maybe he was just having a off day. If not, definitely going to have o find someone different t help me through this.Thanks everyone for all the advice...
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #17
neisy58

alene,
i just read what you had written,i was not only sorry to hear this happened to you,but then again i wasn't suprised either.
i have seen first hand how a dr will use a patient to talk about his or her own personal issues and not pay attention to what they are supposed to.
it's sad ,but true.
my husband went to his primary care dr and the whole time we were in there all he talked about was his new summer home in fla,he never listened to a word we said about my husbands back.
i personally asked if he would write a script for an mri,my husbands spine is so curved and he has alot of pain.
he got mad at me and said the only thing they found on the xrays was degererative disk disease,and over the counter meds were all he suggested.
we were not there for pain meds,but he assumed we were due to my past.
it's sad that my husband can't even get the proper care because of my mistakes.
i would go to the next appt,but if you recieve the same treatment,please find another dr.
as emotional as i am,i couldn't imagine leaving my drs appt upset everytime i went.
it would get to the point where i wouldn't go and i don't even want to think about what would happen then.
good luck and please let us know how you make out.
hugs,
denise
Unread 11-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
lacyalbrent198

hi alen idont understand why he counts ur pills and dosnt tell u how many to take and it coud be a good thing leavin t up to u but that so odd and then if u have not many left to gt on u about it has he it just seems that if he rude like that and counts them and acts like that that what he might do maby not but u should be told what to take and if u want to go up or down u shouold without a problem but im sure u would feel better bein told what to start at first like maby start at 8mg and u might not notice right away it takes acouple days one week at most maby just tell himm u want a aset dose try it for a week and 2 days and then change if needed hope everything works
lacyalbrent198 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to lacyalbrent198 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-04-2009)
Unread 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
shiela

Default Some doctors are just awful

I was 6 weeks into treatment. I was there because I was trying to do the right thing, I needed help and I was highly self motivated. I followed the docs advice right down to nitty gritty and I was so excited after 6 weeks of having a wonderful "normal life" that I was ready to move into the monthly maint. portion of the treatment. I gave the nurse my urine test and then I went into great detail about the legitimate meds I was taking,(I even brought in the bottles so the doctor could write them down.) so that there would be no conflicts on my drug test. 3 days later the doctor had me come in to the office and he told me that a suspect drug had popped up on my drug screen and that I would have to go another 2 months on weekly visits again because I had violated the drug contract! I didn't have the money for more of this! I couldn't believe that the doctor was so dis honest and that he ignored the medicine list that he had on the chart. Then I burst into tears because I couldn't believe how much courage it took from me to seek a professional who turned out to be a liar. The doc wouldn't tell me what drug popped up but I knew that either he didn't read my chart or that this was a scam he pulled to get more money out of patients. I knew I wasn't the one lying! This upset me badly because I knew I could no longer trust this doctor and I had worked so hard to get through a difficult beginning.
I dropped out! Which I should not have done..The doctor kept my expensive medicine $ 350 worth. But I am ready to try again, this time with the knowledge that I am the one that can not afford to be a victim again, if the doctor is unethical then I will move to another doctor but I will not just give up. I do know now that we have to trust ourselves and we can't rely on others, even those who have a medical degree. It is up to me to do this hard work, sometime people let us down and yet I can't continue to let the addiction hurt me even more!
shiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #20
amb128

Sounds like we go to the same Dr.? LOL. No but really, it was hard day for me but I've gotten a lot of great advice from the people on this site. I hope you're able to accomplish what you set out to do. It's a wonderful opportunity we have given to us as addicts, this medicine to help us. But it isn't the only thing that is required of us to get better and re-learn how to live life on life's terms. Everyday I seem to get stronger, see things more clearer and accept the work I have ahead of me. Good luck and I've found if things get tough there are some really terrific people on here that will be here to listen.
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
JDK613

Sheila-you should of turned that dr in! Who the h*** is he to keep your meds that you paid for? So he could have some on hand to dispense free of charge?? Get yourself back into treatment, don't let that quack of a dr hold up your recovery!
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #22
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Shiela and welcome. Please read this thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=22733
Michelle (anon19781) went through a similar situation and got her meds back from the doctor.

It is ILLEGAL that they were taken away from you. The prescription has your name on it.

Please read that thread to see what Michelle did.
That's not right!
Nancy
Unread 11-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #23
upward

This may not be the proper place for my first post (perhaps an intro. would be better!), but I noticed someone say it may be a "southern thing". I am in the south also, and just started Bupe yesterday. I don't know how I got so lucky because I honestly eeny-meeny-miny-moe'd it in an online directory to get to a doctor. He actually answered his own telephone, told me he didn't have an appointment till the afternoon because he had to leave for a meeting in an hour (I was about an hour's drive away.), but said he would wait if I could come then. He ended up missing his meeting for me, talking me through every single step, and spending well over an hour with me. He even gives you his cell phone number because he wants to be available for you. He was honestly one of the nicest men I had ever met, and it couldn't have come at a better time - when I was terrified, sick from withdrawal, and going through unbelievable amounts of crisis at home. So, to hear how your doctor treated you makes me sick! That was my huge fear, that I would be treated that way. I would've been in tears also. It's hard enough for us to take this step anyway and then to be treated so awfully.
BTW, I am also a 32 year old single mom of two. Your post reminded me so much of myself I had to respond to you! I hope that you can find someone who will be compassionate to what your needs are. My doctor told me yesterday that it was time for me to be selfish and take care of myself, and you should too!
upward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #24
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by upward View Post
This may not be the proper place for my first post (perhaps an intro. would be better!), but I noticed someone say it may be a "southern thing". I am in the south also, and just started Bupe yesterday. I don't know how I got so lucky because I honestly eeny-meeny-miny-moe'd it in an online directory to get to a doctor. He actually answered his own telephone, told me he didn't have an appointment till the afternoon because he had to leave for a meeting in an hour (I was about an hour's drive away.), but said he would wait if I could come then. He ended up missing his meeting for me, talking me through every single step, and spending well over an hour with me. He even gives you his cell phone number because he wants to be available for you. He was honestly one of the nicest men I had ever met, and it couldn't have come at a better time - when I was terrified, sick from withdrawal, and going through unbelievable amounts of crisis at home. So, to hear how your doctor treated you makes me sick! That was my huge fear, that I would be treated that way. I would've been in tears also. It's hard enough for us to take this step anyway and then to be treated so awfully.
BTW, I am also a 32 year old single mom of two. Your post reminded me so much of myself I had to respond to you! I hope that you can find someone who will be compassionate to what your needs are. My doctor told me yesterday that it was time for me to be selfish and take care of myself, and you should too!
Hi upward, welcome and congratulations on starting!

I'm glad you found such a caring and compassionate doctor. That helps so much!

Look forward to 'seeing you' around.

Nancy
Unread 11-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #25
amb128

I'm happy to hear that you have found such a great Dr. I'm sure that will help out a lot on your road to recovery. It's also is a nice thing to hear that you have kids to help motivate you to change your life, but we have to do this first and foremost for ourselves. I know at least for me I was tired of looking myself in the mirror and seeing what I knew was an addict.It was for myself that I decided to go and get the help I needed.Having a good Dr. would be nice(LOL), but I think since my heart is in the right place I will be able to do this. That and the help of the people on this site, meetings and soon an addiction therapist-should be the way to a happy, healthy life. So far so good....
Unread 11-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #26
upward

Thanks Nancy! I'm so glad that I took the first step, and I'm glad that I was directed to this site. I tend to be home a lot with my kids, and at night, I can see myself finding the support from this community so helpful! I've read a lot of your responses and threads, and I've seen how passionate you are about helping people in our situation, and it feels so good to have people to talk to who actually understand and don't judge. I'm so tired of being ashamed already. I don't want to continue to feel ashamed for the Bupe. Reading this forum has helped me see that I did make the right choice, and I am on the right path. Thanks again!

Alene - I don't know how far you are from Nashville, but I would recommend my doctor to anyone. If you'd like his info., I'm sure there's some way I could share it with you. You are right about having to be there for my children. I'm tired of my kids seeing a Mommy who's tired or irritable. My mind was always on IF I was going to have enough of my DOC (methadone), IF I could afford to buy "just one more", IF I could make it through another day. I was a slave to it literally, and I know you understand. But you're also right about this being for ourselves. I've always taken care of other people first to the detriment of myself. I'm going to have to change my mindset to remember that I have to be healthy. You know as well as I do - if we aren't healthy, we can't be our best as a Mom.

Sorry to hijack your post. Like I said, last night, I really connected with what you were saying - you sounded so much like me! - and I had to respond.
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #27
amb128

Don't feel "hijacked"...LOL. It does seem we are in the same boat. I will get your Dr.'s info. if my app. doesn't go well on Monday. I go to Tullahoma right now-I'm sure you know were that's at, so Nashville would be further, but it sounds like worth the trip. Does your Dr. have any kind of support group for people on Sub.? I haven't been able to find one, although I have been able to make it to a few NA/AA meetings, I think a Sub. group would be much better. Looking forward to hearing from you-and if I haven't said so already welcome back to living life!
Unread 11-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #28
upward

Thank you so much! It is nice to be "living" again! And the same to you! It's nice to be able to enjoy your children and the little things again!

You know, my doctor gave me a number to call because he wants me to get a sponsor. He said NA would be fine, but he didn't really want me to go. He said being vulnerable, that NA could actually cause me to backslide depending on who "befriended" me at meetings. That was just his personal opinion though, and he said it was totally up to me. I DO have to get some type of help as part of my treatment. He wants me to have a support system in place. I have a "high profile" (although low pay!!) career, so he suggested (and gave me some resources) I find a sub support group somewhere outside my small town. I'm outside of Nashville. I haven't had a big enough block of time to make the phone calls in peace yet. (You know what it's like with two little ones!) I don't know if there's a way to chat, but maybe we could pool our resources since we're close together and find something that would work for you and something for me. Heck, we may could find a group that would work that we could both attend! My doctor was really big on the sponsor thing though. He really wanted me to TRY to find a female, single mom, with maybe some of my same issues. I like the idea of a sponsor that I could talk to. I think I'd do well with a "buddy system"!

My doctor is actually on the west side of Nashville. Not sure how far of a trek it would be for you. It's about 45 minutes for me. He's near Southern Hills Medical Center. But - if you don't like your doctor Monday, it may be worth the drive. He was so kind and patient and seemed to know his stuff. Heck, when I called to make the appointment - I talked directly to him! I got really lucky I guess to just have pulled him from a directory. I've seen some horror stories about doctors like your last doctor, and that blows my mind!
Unread 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #29
amb128

Maybe we can get Nancy to give our e-mail addresses to each other and figure it out that way. I live about and hour and a half south of Nashville, but think it would be well worth the drive to met up with people going through similar situations as myself. She reads just about everything(as far as I can tell), but if not I can e-mail her and ask if you want me to. Also, if you can you should try to make it onto the chat tomorrow night. It's at 6:30 our time. I really like it, and the people that come are usually very helpful, supportive and sometimes we even laugh and have a good time(gasp!). Hope you can make it!
Unread 11-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #30
Jamesisdone

Alene,
I am a single mother of 3 boys so I can relate to you and Upward. I am so glad that there is a medication (Sub) that helps with addiction because addiction is really hard excpecially having kids and then going through the withdrawls, spending money we don't have, and putting ourselves in situations we wouldn't normaly put ourselves in and so on (you know the rest of the story)... So this medication is very helpful and I am just so thankful to be able to give my children the attention and time they deserve rather than chasing pills or feeling like crap when I don't have any. Suboxone, has saved my life and my doctor played a role in the succsess of my treatment. I believe that doctors should be educated about this treatment so that the patients have a better understanding about the treatment so that they may get the full beneifit of this medical treatment. I was thinking about what happened to you and thought to myself "what if a person with asthma came into your doctors office and said that their asthma wasn't controlled by the medication he gave them last visit and in turn the doctor said to the patient: Here is 1 more inhaler, come back in a week with as much medicine in that inhaler as you can." What in the hell would that person with asthma do??? Addiction is a disease and it should be treated by the doctor CORRECTLY!!! Sometimes I feel like people think that addicts should "suffer" UGGGGHHHH! I hate that your doctor is such a jerk who apparently has NO idea how to treat your disease and In my opinion I wouldn't give that doctor one more cent, Just think about it, If you had diabeties and your doctor gave you a medication or treatment that didn't work correctly and you told him about it and he just turned around and "blamed it on you and wrote you for a couple more pills for your diabeties and then he said come back in a week with as much as you can?!?!?!! Addiction is NO different so don't you EVER allow someone to make you feel "bad" for choosing to medically treat your disease (addiction) so that you can have YOUR life back and be able to fuction again! He is a real ass! I am so glad that you and Upward found eachother because it really seems that you two "meeting", has been and will be, very beneficial to the both of you! Thats why I love this site. This site has been a Godsend! I don't know what I would have done without it. This site has taught me EVERYTHING I know about Suboxone... and then some!!! I have been praying that you find a good doctor that will treat you right! Being a single mommy is a hard enough job and going through addiction is hell when you have kids and no help because you can't just lay around when you are in withdrawls and with kids you have to always be ready (for ANYTHING lol) ... So I commend you and Upward because I know first hand how hard this disease is when you're a single mommy! Just look how far you both have come already ! I really do hope you can find a better doctor and that treatment gets better for you, because you deserve it! Hang in there girl and please let us know how it goes!!!! I'm praying for ya

Someone once said this to me: Addiction is a disease, it is not a moral failure
I just wish everybody understood that! (like your doctor!!!)
2 Users Say Thank You to Jamesisdone For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-08-2009), Thank You (11-08-2009)
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #31
upward

James - Everything you said was so on target. I hated chasing pills. My 1st thought upon waking was of my pills not of my kids, and the shame and guilt of that really took it's toll. I'm so thankful to have reached out and found this site because of people like you making me realize that I don't have to be ashamed anymore. I can hold my head high and know that I am FINALLY doing what's right, and I don't have to live another day as the old me. My sweet, sweet daughter knew I was going to the dr. She's so smart and intuitive, and she knew something was up because my parents were here trying to help me also on Thursday. I said to her, "Mommy just needs to work some things out so that I can be a better Mommy to you and your brother." Her response broke my heart: "But Mommy, you're already the best Mommy! You don't need to get any better!" It shattered me because she doesn't even know HOW much better it can be!

Alene - I'd love to trade email. I'm sure Nancy could help with that. I saw the chat time, and I was going to figure out what time our time it would be and join in tonight. I'm excited! It does seem quite funny that the first post I respond to and identify with was someone so close. I didn't even realize - just knew you were in the South! I have lost all of my friends because of this and because of my horrible marriage and ex. I could use some new, positive relationships!
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #32
upward

Shoot - forgot this! The diabetes analogy is so on target too. My doctor used pretty much the same analogy. He said anyone with diabetes would treat themselves properly and find the right medication and dosage! He also said this:

If you go to the beach, you're going to get wet. Some people can tolerate the water just fine. They swim, they play, they get out, they dry off. Some people are sponges, and they continue taking in water. He told me I was a "sponge". He said "So how do you stop taking in water? Don't go to the beach!". He really made me understand that it was about my brain chemistry, and that I should not feel guilty one bit. He also said that if someone can "go to the beach and just swim" they aren't going to understand those of us who are waterlogged! Kind of funny analogy, but it made sense.

That's another reason I think you'd like this guy Alene. He was just so genuine in not just wanting to help with the physical addiction but in wanting to help me understand how I had gotten here, and how I could get myself out of it. He was not in the business of making anyone feel guilty or like a "drug seeker".
One User Says Thank You to upward For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-16-2010)
Unread 11-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #33
amb128

Thumbs down Another day with my ignorant Dr.

So, I went back to my "Dr.", as he likes to call himself. After today I definitely feel I'm going to have to switch to a more educated person for the rest of my Sub. treatment. I went in with 2 1/2 extra, that's what I had left. I told him that I had my dose at 12 mg. now and was feeling great. So, he writes me a script for 45 more and says bring back as much as you can in 30 days and then we'll talk about getting you off these things.
Is he crazy?!?! Is he stupid?!?!? I don't understand? I've only gotten I think around 40 days into this! I was an addict for well over 17 years, I started very young. It wasn't always to pain pills, but I was always using in one form or another. I even kept an eating disorder for 12 years, which is another addiction all of it's own. I finally have found a tool I have complete confidence in. Something that has helped me put my need to use aside so I can start working on the things inside that got me here in the first place. I'm for the first time, ready and willing to move forward and face the life I've lived and learn to deal with it, learn to re-train my brain on how to live a life without drugs.He just doesn't seem to understand what a breakthrough life changing experience this has been for me. He doesn't get that if he takes it away so soon I don't think I'm ready to do the work required of me without risk of relapse. The issues I have to face are bad, so bad and so painful that I used to the point of almost dying to avoid them. I lost both of my parents just a few years back to drug addiction-I cannot risk that happening to my girls. They deserve better and so do I. Damn, I finally want better for myself than a life like that! I haven't even found a therapist yet!
Enough of my rant, I know the answer. I'm going to have to find another Dr. One who is willing to give me the time I need to recover a little bit before he throws me out into the world. Thanks for reading...look forward to chat tomorrow.
Thank You (11-09-2009)
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #34
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Alene, wow, I'm speechless. That doctor just doesn't understand addiction or addiction treatment. In any event, here's that link on how to find a doctor so you don't have to go look for it! lol
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259

I hope you can find a good one. Think about giving the Here to Help line a call too, see if they have any suggestions. They're open until 11 pm eastern time. 866-956-9204.

You deserve better treatment than that!

Nancy
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #35
CommanderTaco

Thumbs up

Alene ! Sorry to hear about your doctor! I think it is time that you look around and find a new doc that is more informed on the proper way to administer suboxon . Have you looked around in your area for other offices? it’s a shame you cant to it over the phone with my docs office =) ( maybe ill run it by him next time I talk to him =)) This is YOUR life and YOUR recovery , don’t let some jack*ss doctor determine the outcome for you and possibly jeopardize the future that you are working towards for you and your kids. You’re a strong person for making the changes that you have , now make one more and get a better doctor =)
CommanderTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #36
amb128

As of now I am in the Dr./patient matching list. I know that God will take care of this and I need not worry. Thanks Dan and Nancy for your words of encouragement and advice.
Thank You (11-09-2009)
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #37
JDK613

What is with these speedy recovery doctors?? I'm pretty sure that was not taught in their suboxone class. If you talk to the HereToHelp program, offered free of charge by the makers of suboxone, in no way do they recommend "speedy" recovery. It took most us years to get to the point we were at before treatment so how can anyone certified think we should only need a couple of months in recovery and be good to go? Sounds like common sense to me. I've been in treatment since Jan 2009 and I know I am not even ready to taper, I have tried but I am not physically or mentally ready yet. I am so happy for you that you got yourself on the physician//patient matching system. This will allow you the opportunity to be matched up with a dr that you are comfortable with, an addiction specailist who will have you in recovery for as long as you need on your terms.
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #38
amb128

I have weekly here to help phone appt.s. My coach is wonderful, I really like her. We have our regular appt. tomorrow, so plan on discussing it with her then. Thanks again everyone!
Unread 11-18-2009, 03:35 AM   #39
Scarlette_Gemini

Upward & Alene, I know I am late to this convo, but I wanted to let you know, I also live just outside the Nashville area- Ashland City so I have to drive a ways too to go to my doc, but listen, my doc (an addiction psychologist) is GREAT! I love, love, love him! He's in downtown Nashville at Vanderbilt. He accepts some insurances, and the ones he doesn't take are covered by his partner (I guess they drew a line down the middle of the insurance list? Lol), who is also a wonderful doctor. They've done a lot of leading research in suboxone, even helped in getting suboxone going (did clinical trials)! They just finished a research study (I was the LAST research subject accepted for the 5-year study!) to get subutex approved and preferred for opiate addiction treatment in pregnant women. They are working hard to get suboxone accepted by society at large and to educate people about addiction. They have dedicated their lives to saving people like us and forcing others to accept us stigma-free (lol)!

Its not even like a doctors office, its a psychiatry office that is nice, warm and inviting as opposed to the harsh, cold treatment rooms in drs offices (at least, that's how I feel about it!) Their treatment consists of a very small, tight-knit group of doctors working together. I see my doc (my best friend sees his partner & loves him), I see the female addiction/organ transplant/military veteran counselor who is just wonderful and has decades of experience, and will even go to bat for you for things like court when you're being persecuted- I see her for individual and group therapy. I also see (for my kids) a child developmental psychologist who helps my oldest (4yr old) deal with his feelings and anger relating to the last 3 years/2 of which I was in active addiction on opiates and how it affected him. I saw a midwife while I was pregnant who works with them and is absolutely dedicated to helping addicted pregnant women. Now, these are the people that I see on a regular basis, and they are my lifeline! They work together to ensure that you have top-of-the-line, customized treatment. Its not 1 doc treats u w/ sub, you find another for therapy, and another for this or that and none of them even know the other... They do all of that for you, and they communicate with eachother constantly to determine your needs for the best treatment process to occur. I don't know what I would do without them. I am so very blessed to have such a wonderful team of doctors. I wouldn't trade them for my life, because they've given me my life back... And considering I have no outside support from family or friends, except the friend who was in the study with me & sees my doc's partner (and now that I found this site! lol), my chance at recovery- even while taking suboxone- would be non-existent. And to be honest, they're really all the support I need, b/c they provide so much of it, and consistently.

So if anyone is interested in more info about my docs, I'll gladly give it to you. I would never be able to share them enough to others with our disease, because they are sooo great!
Unread 11-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #40
amb128

They sound wonderful. I live about 70 miles south of Nashville, but it sounds like it may be worth looking into.Thanks
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #41
Scarlette_Gemini

Wink

Hey alene, by all means check him out! I don't have a way to go through all the rigamaroo w/ contact info, so I'll just give u their names. Look up nashville doctors on this site & find Dr. Peter Martin & Dr. Finlayson (don't remember his 1st name! He calls in scripts for me when Dr Martin is out of town & I've talked to him a few times, my friend who sees him speaks highly of him). Their contact info should pop up in the search, and they are absolutely wonderful! You can get everything done in 1 day, dr appt, UA (its required for them, but they don't make you stress over it at all), therapy appt (you would love Karen, I don't know anyone who doesn't), & group. I do my therapy appts & groups back-to-back. Trust me, it is most DEFINITELY worth the drive! I'd drive all day to see my docs! Not sureif Dr Martin is taking anyone right now, but he made an exception for me! So he might for you as well, and if he can't, Finlayson will. Your situation is urgent enough, they will help you.

Tell them Scarlette gave you the info & is trying to help (they'll know who you're talking about, only 1 Scarlette in treatment lol)

*** I'm not sure if we're allowed to share Dr info on threads, if not I apologize, b/c honestly, I don't know! Nancy, if you have to get rid of this post, will you make sure alene gets the info? She really needs it, and I know these docs would be good for her ***
Thank You (11-18-2009)
Unread 11-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #42
NancyB
Administrator

Thank you Scarlette_Gemini!

I looked up the doctor's information, since it's publicly listed:

A.J. Finlayson, M.D.
1601 23rd Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37212
(615) 322-4567

Peter Martin, M.D. (same address, different phone number)
Psychiatric Hospital at Vanderbilt
1601 23rd Avenue South, Suite 3068
Nashville, TN 37232
(615) 936-3555

Thanks for the tip! It just might help others looking for a good doctor too!

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-18-2009)
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #43
wanttogetsober

I am so sorry that must have been humiliating for you shame on him, you are a human with an illness you are trying to get well from. It makes me even more thankful for my Sub Dr he make dose high but at least he believes in my and that I have chosen to get help. You are in my thoughts, stay strong.
wanttogetsober is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #44
amb128

Wanttogetsober, I thought I should tell you thanks for empithizing with me, but not long after all these posts with the help our guardian angel Nancy here I did find the most wonderful Dr. I have ever seen for anything, not just Sub. He is completely educated about the medicine he prescribes, is in recovery for something himself so he understands addiction and is clearly not in this business for the money as he is very affordable. I immediately after the first appt. knew that I had found my "match" for my treatment goals. I have always been able to be honest and open with him, he does not judge me and he rewards those that follow through with what they are supposed to do. He even at my third appt. had cards on his desk for this website, which showed me once again that he really listened to me when I spoke. I had told him about this site and how valuable and life saving it can be if someone uses it to go along with their treatment plan.
I am blessed by God, I know it. I prayed for a solution and he gave me one. Good luck to you and thanks for the post.
Thank You (04-16-2010)
Unread 04-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #45
werdnaf

Thank you all so much for your stories and posts. Sadly they all sound way too familiar to all of us.
I was also about to suggest (that is until I saw it here already), that we each share or create a list of "Good" Dr's for Suboxone treatment.

I live in Knoxville and I have one more appt. on the 26th. This is my last chance with a Dr. here as I'm originally from NY and I have posted my story in the..."A few questions" thread.
I will drive anywhere and I do mean anywhere to find an educated, compassionate Dr. that actually listens to what you have to say.
I think I'm going to end up trying the Dr.'s in Nashville. The 2 1/2 hour ride is nothing compared to the anxiety of trying to find the right Dr. I will actually enjoy the ride.

Can you please tell me if they give you refills when you go?
Also, my big problem is that when I mention medicare to a Dr. they seem to run from me like I have the plague. Do they accept medicare and or if they don't, I hope they will not tell me that they can't see me to due to medicare's rules and regs.

Im also simply willing to tell any Dr. that I have no insurance and I will pay cash.
I'll worry about submitting my own bills to medicare and my secondary.

It still amazes me that very few health care plans pay for the entire treatment of Suboxone. I'm also worried that it's going to get worse rather than better when it comes to Insurance covering certain things.

Once again, thank you all so much for your posts. Feel free to read my story under the above mentioned thread.

Fyi....Many Dr's are becoming fearfull of suboxone, especially in the South where I've been told that there is already a black market for it. I don't understand exactly how this happened. Perhaps someone who has never taken pain meds was given a suboxone by a friend and they felt like they were getting high. I do not feel like I'm getting high when I take my meds. I simply feel no withdrawal, no cravings and I'm motivated to live a very very busy, healthy, happy life.
I would not sell my meds for any amount of money because it will ruin the quality of my life and no amount of money can help that.

Thank you.
werdnaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #46
amb128

Werdnaf. I read your post. Just wanted to let you know that I have a Dr. in Chattanooga, Tn. now that is amazing! Actually he is the one I wrote about in my previous post. His Name is Dr. Zotos If you don't mind the drive I highly recommend him. I drive a little over an hour to see him but it is worth every mile. He is the kind of Dr. that inspires you and wants you to do better. If you're interested just let Nancy know and maybe she can post the information for you, or let me know if I'm even supposed to. He had around 70 patients last I knew about, but it's worth a try. I can guarantee you will succeed if you work together with him, trust him and play by the rules. Good luck to you, and let us know what happens.
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #47
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Alene, since he's publicly listed, I'll just copy his information here for Werdnaf. This says Hixon, is that an old address?

Thanks Alene!

Nancy

Alexander Zotos, M.D.
2051 Hamill Road
Suite 403
Hixson, TN 37343
(423) 316-8147
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #48
amb128

Nancy
Of course you have the right address! Hope you have a great day and Werdnaf, good luck, I hope you are able to get in to see him. As I said he's the best.
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #49
younggun38

That sounds horrible. I hope my Dr. understands I needed 24mgs each of my first two days.He told me to try and not take more than 16mg a day,but 16mg did not help much.I assumed he meant if I needed more to take it when he said try and not take more than 16mg a day until I see him on the third day.

I do not think I could handle being treated like that either, but some of these idiotic Dr.'s know we will be back to prevent withdrawal and think they can play God.

I hope you can find another Dr. soon and maybe this quack will go out of business!! Either way Good Luck!
younggun38 is offline   Reply With Quote