Addiction Survivors

Unread 10-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
anon19781

Default bi-polar and opiate addiction go hand in hand?Anyone have bipolar?

I was reading online and my Dr. was telling me, that most of her patients who abuse opiates are also bipolar...the high they get from the pain pills is like that of a manic episode. My grandma has bipolar and was an alcoholic, my mom who died was bipolar and abused pain pills and was an alcoholic. I think I could have bipolar but im not sure, I guess it kind of makes sense. Its weird though, some people like my husband if he takes a vicodin it makes him tired and go to sleep, but if I take one it gives me euphoria and a TON of energy. ANy thoughts?
anon19781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
MicheleJ

Hello,

I wanted to give up Vicodin, so I made an appointment with a psychiatrist. That was before I ever heard of Sub. In the meantime I learned of Sub, and went to a Sub. doctor and got on Sub. I was doing really well, but I decided for some reason to still keep my appointment with the psychiatrist. He told me I had bipolar 2 based on questions he asked me about my life, questions that did not take into consideration whether or not I was in active addiction when I displayed the behaviors he was asking about.
I did exhibit the symptoms of bipolar 2, but only while in active addiction. Once the alcohol and Vicodin were no longer present, the bipolar behaviors were not either. So, I do not have bipolar 2.
However, there are two different schools of though to that. Some believe that being in active addiction does not matter. They beleive that if the behaviors were present, a person is bipolar. However, I don't feel that way. My Sub. doctor does not believe I have bipolar either.
Like I said, once the alcohol and Vicodin were no longer present, the bipolar behaviors were not either, and to me it made no sense to be treated for something I don't have.
Another way I knew I didn't have it was because the meds he put me on were not doing what they were desinged to do. All they did was knock me out, and make me so tired that I had to leave work to go home and sleep!! They were ruinng my life! Of course they were, they were not needed.
IMO, think about it, who in active addiction doesn't display bipolar symptoms from time to time, or at least at one time or another? Especially if they can't get their doc? Then, completely different behavior once the doc is obtained.
So, IMO, in that regard, addiction and bipolar are very much related. All addiction, not just opiate addicion, IMO.

Last edited by MicheleJ; 10-21-2009 at 10:58 PM..
MicheleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
neisy58

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon19781 View Post
I was reading online and my Dr. was telling me, that most of her patients who abuse opiates are also bipolar...the high they get from the pain pills is like that of a manic episode. My grandma has bipolar and was an alcoholic, my mom who died was bipolar and abused pain pills and was an alcoholic. I think I could have bipolar but im not sure, I guess it kind of makes sense. Its weird though, some people like my husband if he takes a vicodin it makes him tired and go to sleep, but if I take one it gives me euphoria and a TON of energy. ANy thoughts?

hi,
i have been bipolar most of my life and only found out that it was the case about 7-8 yrs ago.
i was quite a heavy drinker and after i started slowing down on my drinking,i started showing all the signs of bipolar.
i went to many drs and tried many different medications until i found the right ones.
about 6 yrs ago i not only hurt my knee and had to have several surgeries,but quit drinking all together.
from then on my bipolar continued to get worse,i was in complete denile,didn't take my meds as prescribed...ect.
i also found out i not only had rheumatoid arthritis,but many other painful problems.
so that's when my love affair with pain pills started,and i quit taking everything else but pain pills.
i was one big manic mess.
it acctually made my bipolar alot worse, due to times i didn't come down from the mania for months.
it did alot of damage not only physically, but mentally too.
i was hospitalized many times and stablized only to go back into active addiction.
by the time i realized it i was over 50 and feeling 80,i was going downhill really fast.
i found this site,watched mikes story and said to myself "if he could do it,i could too",i did the dr locator,got an appt and it's all been uphill since then.
i feel more stable than i have in yrs,i still take my bipolar meds and suboxone,but i don't have as many up's and down's as i was having.
i don't think one dr just asking you questions can tell you that you are bipolar,i believe it takes time and different meds to determine if you are.
i wish you all the best and if you are bipolar,it's something a person can live with,like me
hugs,
denise
Unread 10-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
MicheleJ

Hello,

Denise, I agree. After the fact, I too realized that there was no way a doctor could accurately determine such a thing only after meeting me once, and after asking me questions for only about ten minutes. Questions, like I said, that didn't even take into consideration whether or not I was in active addiction or not when I was exhibiting the behaviors I was being asked about.
At first I was just plain relieved after having received the diagnosis of bi-polar 2. I was relieved because I though that if I had a diagnosis, that I could be treated, and that I would be able to feel good forever. (Although I had just started Sub., so I did already feel just fine, I guess I just wasn't sure what to expect with the Sub. either, whether or not the Sub. would continue to work effectively).
I told my Mom about my bi-polar diagnosis too, as well as my Sub doctor, and plus, what I read. And, NO, I do not have bi-polar 2, and for that psychiatrist to have made that diagnosis with such limited information about me was completely wrong. Even worse, was that he put me on such powerful meds after making a hasty diagnosis.
My psychiatrist, now that I think about it, was like one of those shady Sub doctors. He had me going back for an office visit ever other week, and he just kept giving me meds, Depakote, more Depakote, and Risperidol, even though I could barely stay awake!!
Anyway, my moods are just fine now. You are absolutely right Denise, there is no way I was properly diagnosed.
But, one thing that the psychiatrist told me that made sense was that "I was trying to play psychiatrist, but not doing a very good job of it". (that's what he told me, word for word).
He told me flat out that the reason I drank for 20 years and then used the Vicodin was simply so that I would feel normal and to correct an imbalance in my brain.
I am certain, however, that if I did really have bi-polar 2, that I would have been just fine, it's just that I don't really have it. I have never been to see a psychiatrist before, and I don't feel the need to go to see one now. I just wanted to get off of the Vicodin, and made that appointment before I ever even heard about Sub, and I happened to not have picked a good psychiatrist.

Last edited by MicheleJ; 10-22-2009 at 07:03 AM..
MicheleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
neisy58

hi michellej,
when i first started the suboxone,i thought just maybe since i was feeeling so good that i really wasn't bipolar,i even started cutting down on my meds to see.
i got hit with one of my down moods so bad i realized i had better not do that again.
i know that when i get so far down,it's really hard to get back up again.
i was hit so bad with one of my downs that it took a stay in the hosp and 3 mos to get out of it.
i was finally told,i have what they call a duel diagnosis,it's when someone takes substances or drinks to feel better,or self medicating.
i take a medication called valproic acid,it's sorta like depakote only cheaper.
it has something in it that calms the brain.
now that i have really good insurance,i am really thinking about asking for one of the better meds like abilify,lamictal or geodon,there is a new one out called pristiq.
i know that latley i have been having more mood swings and now with the change in the seasons i have s.a.d too.
it's always a poke and hope when it comes to mental illnesses,always having to change meds and lots of dr appts.
if you do know anyone dealing with any type of mental illness,either themselves or in thier family here's a very good and new website to help http://bringchange2mind.org it has glen close and her sister on it,and it's explains how mental illness effects whole families.
i am so glad to hear you don't have bipolar,i wouldn't wish it on anyone.
have a great day!!!!
hugs,
denise
Unread 10-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
anon19781

My moods are affected BIG TIME by the seasons, we are in michigan and have long winters here, like right now in october it has been horrible weather, mostly cloudy cold days, and even my DH has noticed a change in me. I am pretty happy in the spring and summer, after I have the baby I might try lamictal and see if it helps me, I am having a spring baby so hopefully I wont have PPD, as I did with my other kids who were born in late fall.
anon19781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
okie

I had a psychologist diagnose me as bipolar while I was in the middle of my addiction...my sub Dr(a psychiatrist) disagreed, of course those symptoms are exhibited during the addiction, but when I was normal (for me at least) again I dont act that way..who would think..so it is not something I think they can truly diagnose when ppl are using their doc..
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
lacyalbrent198

i think ur on to something when im high on pain pills i feel awake and want to get everything doen and i get very irritated just even the little things and moody but at the sametime im like happy and realy dont need to be so uptight but i feel bipolor at times now and i think pills and other stuff can make it worde if u already are bipolar i know when im veery busy and feel rushed i get pissy but then again who wouldnt everyone difrent but then the same i think its not just pills or being high i think its a mixture and just what mood ur in ingeneral so there u have it
lacyalbrent198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
lwk1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon19781 View Post
i was reading online and my dr. Was telling me, that most of her patients who abuse opiates are also bipolar...the high they get from the pain pills is like that of a manic episode. My grandma has bipolar and was an alcoholic, my mom who died was bipolar and abused pain pills and was an alcoholic. I think i could have bipolar but im not sure, i guess it kind of makes sense. Its weird though, some people like my husband if he takes a vicodin it makes him tired and go to sleep, but if i take one it gives me euphoria and a ton of energy. Any thoughts?

hello,
i was diagnosised bi polar 5 years ago,and i struggle with some of the issues you do.percocet and any other pain pill in site. Alcohol in the early years very heavy.addicts and bi polar can some time go hand and hand "you self medicate" by using
lwk1970 is offline   Reply With Quote