Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
icequeen

Default List of Doc's who accept health insurance for Suboxone therapy

Hi All-

Again, so happy to have found this invaluable resource

Is anybody aware of a list of medical providers who accept standard forms of health insurance for Suboxone therapy? It seems like when I lived in Northern New England the vast majority of doctors accepted health insurance for this type of treatment. I am sure it varies by area and socioeconomic conditions.

If nobody is aware of anything like this, is there anybody who would like to work on this type of project with me? If we could get at least one person from every region to research their area and report back- we could have a comprehensive list of doc's that either do or do not accept health insurance for their services.

Maybe this could help people who cannot afford treatment without the doctors accepting insurance. Also in a way, I think that if more people started trying to first use doctors who accept insurance- maybe eventually over time the doctors who do not would start.
icequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
Cally

Each insurance carrier is different. State by State insurance is different. Your insurance company may be the same as mine but our coverage may be completely different.

If you have insurance, call the “800” number on the back of your insurance card. Ask if “addiction” is covered. Ask if suboxone is covered. Ask if therapy is covered. It’s the best way to know what your insurance covers. No surprises.

All doctors will list what insurance carriers they accept. You will know what insurance they accept before you schedule an appointment.

You can also pay cash and get reimbursed by your insurance carrrier. Ask your insurance carrier how to get reimbursed.

Many doctors accept cash as a way to keep the costs down. Some people are afraid to bill their insurance because of the stigma and would prefer to pay cash.

Many people have lost their insurance because of their addiction and can only pay cash. These people won’t be turned away because of not having insurance. “Cash only” are wonderful words to the uninsured.

Thanks to NAABT everyone can contact several doctors and get prices. You can also call different pharmacy’s and get prices on suboxone.

Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
icequeen

Interesting news Cally- I did not know that different pharmacies charge different amounts for Suboxone. I guess I assumed the price was set by the manufacturer- RB. Are you saying that if my doctor does not accept insurance and my insurance company provides for addiction- I can bill the insurance company and be reimbursed without changing my relationship with the doctor? That is a good thing.

I think its a great idea for some doctors to accept cash for their services at a competitive rate- don't get me wrong. But those doctors could easily accept insurance from those who are covered as well. I see no reason why the doc's couldn't accept cash at a reduced rate for those with no insurance and still bill the insurance companies for those who have it at full price. It would practically be a tax write off. Don't most doctors accept cash if their patients have no insurance anyway? I honestly believe that if doctors really wanted to help people they would do whatever they could for their patients. Sure, they have to make money and they are working with a bunch of junkies but there has gotta be a way.

I guess I am just jaded from the fact that I first went to detox/suboxone therapy with a public health insurance which covered everything under the sun. And secondly- when I switched over to insurance through an employer a short time later- it was still covered with $20 office copays and $50 prescription copays. Apparently I have been very fortunate and have taken this for granted- but why shouldn't I? I honestly believe the pharm companies and doctors who are involved with this are simply out there to make money and that is not the way it should be- it should be about helping people who need it. Sorry for the rant and thanks for responding to my earlier post.
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
csdmommy

Let me address two things.

1. Pharmaceutical manufacturers cannot set a fixed price for medication. A standardized example I used to give patients is: a lab/manufacturer spends $.25 making a tablet, then charges a pharmacy $1.00/tab. The pharmacy then offsets the cost by increasing their charge to 150-250% to the consumer.

Pharmacies are just like any other store. They are out to make a profit. They buy a product from a distributor, then resell it for a profit. It would almost be like saying Ragu sets the price for its spaghetti sauce at $3.50 and anyone who sells it has to use this price. (can you guys tell what I had for dinner).

2. Doctor's cannot charge a different fee to self-pay patients vs. insurance patients. This has been addressed in the past by the OIG (Office of the Inspector General) and ruled it as illegal. If a patient is seen for a medium level office visit (code 99213-99214 depending on time face-to-face) then they have to be charged the same $75.00 (a typical fee for this service) whether insured or not. This was set forth to protect the patient as well as insurance costs.

I hope this helps everyone.

-Christy
csdmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to csdmommy For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-20-2010)
Unread 07-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #5
csdmommy

I also wanted to agree w/ Cally. There is no standardized listing of doctors for a particular insurance and/or state/federal payors. Each doctor accepts a myriad of payors and can be different depending on each payor.

For example, BCBS of FL has over 300 different plans. Each plan pays different and some cover only office visits and no meds or just meds w/ no office visit. You would have to contact each physician separately.

-Christy
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
icequeen

Quote:
For example, BCBS of FL has over 300 different plans. Each plan pays different and some cover only office visits and no meds or just meds w/ no office visit. You would have to contact each physician separately.

-Christy

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. A comprehensive list of doctors who do or do not accept insurance- not necessarily the type of plans they take or what the insurance covers, just a simple "yes insurance" or "no insurance". So- that when someone wants to get involved in treatment they can save a heck of a lot of time by calling the doctors who can either help them with insurance or not. People who have insurance and could not afford cash should need to be seeing doctors who accept insurance I would assume. Personally, I could not find any doctors close by who accepted insurance. That is disturbing. I would be more than willing to travel to see a doc. that takes insurance. I have been on suboxone for a couple years in another part of the country so- this is all new to me with the no insurance crap. The more I think about it- the more I believe that many (not all) of these doctors are just in it for the money like it said in the fox news reel. I mean c'mon- you go in off the street, pay $300+ to have the doc. write the first script and $150+ each month thereafter? Thats a moneymaker.

Also- I received the following email from an naabt.org doctor this morning. She apparently works on a sliding scale. I am actually somewhat disturbed by the spelling/grammatical mistakes in this email. I'm not perfect- but I'm not a doctor either...

Dr. Toni Daniels
915 Bryant St

S.F., Ca 94103
510-684-0184

To:
I am Dr. Daniels and you can get a Mon/ Tues am or Tue/Wed pm appt.Please stop all Narcotics 24 hrs before or 36 hrs prior to the appt. We will work out the best payment scale or sliding scale for you for your purposes of using Suboxone. We'd like you also get the forms by mail and need your address now and you may need a presciption before the visit and bring in the pills to start. Counseling will also be a requirement for maintnance. Call me at 1-510-684-7341(help) Would you like a group or individual counseling? Call me!! Dr. Toni Certified Addictionologist, FASAM, Pain Management Certifie
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
csdmommy

Just to let everyone know, this is a humorous post.

In medical school, we didn't really concentrate on spelling as you can tell by office notes. My professors used to joke that the most intelligible handwriting and worst spelling made a better doctor! Usually, the E-mails and letters you receive were written by a person on the staff.

Talk to you guys later!

-Christy
Unread 03-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
packrat

I just want to refer you to a post I just did in another thread. I think it may be relevant here:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...5&postcount=17
Unread 06-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
jdlspalmyra1325

There needs to be legislation past that Doctors have to treat addiction as a disease & they need to be made to accept insurance for suboxone treatment. My dr. is wonderful & does accept my insurace. I live in Indiana & so many dr. I hear do NOT accept any form of insurace for suboxone treatment & some charge $1500 to get into the program, & then a montly fee of up to $300 plus. They don't care if you need it long term, they only allow you to be on it up to 6 mths or a yr. Addiction is a disease & suboxone is a wonderful thing to helping ppl w/addiction on their road to recovery. How sad it is that if you don't have a lot of money (& you have insurance) these dr. can use addiction & suboxone as a cash cow! This should be illegal & something needs to be done!
jdlspalmyra1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
DARKEYES

jdlspalmyra1325

I totally agree with you, addiction is a disease and should be treated by all doctors as such. This is why advocates work so very hard and in addition until the stigma of drug or alcohol addiction goes away, it may not be something that happens quickly enough. Alcohol addiction is treated differently because it's legal, readily available, and there is no stigma attached. Personally, when I worked as an office manager for a restaurant in this city that was one of the finest, many doctors would come in and drink their lunch..and that's no joke. Now two of them charge in excess of 400 dollars just for an initial visit. Then it is one hundred forty thereafter a month. Cash cow? You got that right.
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
toms

I understand the feeling; but the government cannot legislate good treatment So many of our current medical; financial; and environmental woes can be traced back to government interference; and politicians have become masters at shifting blame to companies; individuals; and "the free market" As long as people look towards government to "solve" life's problems; we'll all be disappointed!
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
nolongeraddicted

Smile Doctor's That Take Insurance

Hi All,

If you're trying to find a suboxone doctor that take insurance, you can go to suboxone.com or call 1-866-973-HERE (4373). They'll help you find a doctor near you that takes your insurance. You will have to call to make sure they take your specific plan, but if you tell them that you have Amerihealth for instance, they can give you a list of doctors that take that insurance.

Hope This Helps!
nolongeraddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to nolongeraddicted For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-25-2010)
Unread 06-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
deniese

I dind that I cant agree with this in that I cant make sense of how doctors get away with charging 600.00 a month (meaning in the beginning of treatment when they see you bi-weekly). I have insurance and have found a doctor who accepts it I just dont understand the cash doctors.
deniese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
AbbyNormal

I had to cross reference the Suboxone doctors with my BC/BS coverage, then call to see if they would accept me as a patient. Not a new one, just on maintenance. Several said "cash only" and I think I found one to treat me. Next week I'll call to schedule an appt. and just ask.

BC/BS got involved and called one of the "Cash Only" doctors and informed him that Suboxone was a covered treatment and he must accept the insurance. He agreed, but I wouldn't go to him!

Seems the phrase "First, do no harm" has been forgotten by our medical providers.

Tom

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to AbbyNormal For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-19-2011), Thank You (07-26-2014)
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
deniese

Wow, I never thought of having the insurance company get involved, great work! I wouldn't go there either. I was on sub for a year and tapered off but have some medical issues that have led to chronic pain. I have moved to a different state and have had a hard time finding a new doctor who will accept BC/BS. My first appointment is tomorrow so I hope it goes well, not sure what to expect.
deniese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #16
natedogg2014

Post moved to new thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=29521
natedogg2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Jessyka

Default help

Post moved to new thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=29598
Jessyka is offline   Reply With Quote