Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
AprilLynn83

Default For those on Medicaid...And other's needing help paying for suboxone

I had registered for NAABT.org to find a doctor who prescribed Suboxone. I was looking to switch from methadone to suboxone and was trying desperately to find a doctor. I put I had medicaid and no other insurance. I got a response from a doctor stating that doctors who will take medicaid will not prescribe suboxone and medicaid will not pay for it. I wanted others to know that this is NOT TRUE. I easily found a doctor, www.suboxone.com, who will take medicaid AND medicaid WILL cover suboxone. All you need is a prior authorization which takes a day and you get your suboxone for a VERY cheap price, $3 for any amount prescribed. Hope I helped someone out there on medicaid because nobody told me this.

Also I have been told from people who received this help, the company who makes suboxone has a program that will help others get their suboxone at no cost to you. Hope I helped. I know from experience how hard it is to have to pay out of pocket for this VERY expensive medication!
AprilLynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Say Thank You to AprilLynn83 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-01-2010), Thank You (05-12-2013), Thank You (01-19-2012), Thank You (08-03-2012), Thank You (03-18-2014)
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi AprilLynn83 and welcome. Thank you for bring that to everyone's attention. It pays to keep trying and calling as many doctors as possible to see where that may lead.

Here's a link to the free med program you spoke of:

http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone

Thanks again.
Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-01-2010)
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
ladylilly

If you qualify-by showing income tax or social security statements then reckitt benchiser-the maker of suboxne will send it monthly to your doctor to dispense to you-I got it for 2 years free from them but now they only do it for 1-good luck to all that need it-personally i think they should supply it to those that need it for however long you're on it!!!!!!!!!!
ladylilly is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to ladylilly For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-15-2010)
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
TIM

Medicaid varies from from state to state and in some states from county to county. They have different reimbursement rates which are very lows (as low as $28) so physicians are reluctant to take patients on Medicaid. This is unfair and wrong, but it's reality. Some patients may be forced to pay cash to get the lifesaving treatment they need if no doctors near them are accepting Medicaid for addiction treatment.
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-15-2010), Thank You (06-01-2010)
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
lilysnana1

we dont get medicaid and not able to qualify
lilysnana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
toms

More and more docs are refusing to take Medicare assignment, and who can blame them? These programs were *supposed* to "solve" a number of problems and simply intensified them while creating new ones. Now they want to control the whole industry? Refusing to pay costs doesn't make them go away, they must be paid by others.
Thank You (06-01-2010)
Unread 05-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
lawrencerach74

Default Paying the Treating Doctor

I have medicare part A and B. I am having difficult paying my doctor for treatment but he does not accept medicare part a and b. I live near Chattanooga, TN and North Georgia. Is there anyone who knows of a participating medical doctor who will treat with suboxone and will accept my insurance?

Thanks
Rach
lawrencerach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
toms

Hi, Rach. Have you tried the doctor-matching system (look to the right)? I have driven through your area for over 25 years, so I know how you're right on the borders of three states. That may complicate things, but hopefully the match system will help. Good luck!
Unread 06-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Jamesisdone

I am on Medicaid and my treatment was covered for the doctor and meds but I had to pay 65$ a week to see the counsler who specializes in addiction. I am poor as heck but figured paying this was cheaper than paying for the drugs I was on.... My copay for my meds was a 1$ so I was trurely blessed I know alot of loop holes so if anyone needs help let me know
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
jbksmomma81

I live in Virginia and I am on straight Medicaid and you have to find a Dr who will accept your Medicaid not all Dr's have to accept it! But as far as your scripts go it will cover your scripts, with out having a priop authorization now once you it turns into an HMO and you choose which insurance you want whether it be Optima or Health Keepers Plus then you will have to get prior authorization. Every state could be different but I just now Medicaid in Virginia it is very very hard to find a dr that will accept your medicaid even when you are switched over to HMO
jbksmomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jbksmomma81 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-20-2014)
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Albert23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLynn83 View Post
I had registered for NAABT.org to find a doctor who prescribed Suboxone. I was looking to switch from methadone to suboxone and was trying desperately to find a doctor. I put I had medicaid and no other insurance. I got a response from a doctor stating that doctors who will take medicaid will not prescribe suboxone and medicaid will not pay for it. I wanted others to know that this is NOT TRUE. I easily found a doctor, www.suboxone.com, who will take medicaid AND medicaid WILL cover suboxone. All you need is a prior authorization which takes a day and you get your suboxone for a VERY cheap price, $3 for any amount prescribed. Hope I helped someone out there on medicaid because nobody told me this.

Also I have been told from people who received this help, the company who makes suboxone has a program that will help others get their suboxone at no cost to you. Hope I helped. I know from experience how hard it is to have to pay out of pocket for this VERY expensive medication!
Thanks for the info I am trying to switch to SUB treatment from Meth Clinic They pay for my clinic But its so hard to find a Dr that will take Medicaid for suboxone treatment I liv in RI I have United health and Medicaid through the state
Albert23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
toms

Have you checked with your local county/city health service? I know that our local branch offers assistance. Btw.....welcome to the forum!
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
MaJaBe

Medicaid doesn't cover it in my state, we're all on "Medicaid HMO's", and it's not on their "approved list of medications". Tried to get it auth'd, no dice.
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
AprilLynn83

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLynn83 View Post

I'm sorry, should have added I am referring to Alabama medicaid. Also, the choices of Doctors who take medicaid who is able to write suboxone are very slim so no room to be picky with Doctors.

Last edited by AprilLynn83; 04-27-2012 at 05:16 PM..
AprilLynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
soveryblessed

Hi. Haven't posted for awhile because things are great and life is soooo busy BUT I just fell into the donut hole. I take TEVA buprenorphine and am allergic to suboxone. ANY information referrals etc will be gratefully accepted. I am hoping to be off of disability in the next couple of months and BACK TO THE WORKFORCE after 11 years. So any assistance would only be for a short term. THANKS guys,
kristi
soveryblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
NancyB
Administrator

Hi kristi! So good to hear that things are going great for you!

Have you checked this thread with the discount cards?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

Some people have printed out a bunch of them and had their pharmacist figure out which one would save the most money. Also call around to different pharmacies to get pricing - even different stores within a chain can have different pricing.

I contacted TEVA a while ago and they didn't have a patient assistance program, but they have this on their website now:
http://www.tevausa.com/default.aspx?...3420#patassist
Q. Does Teva offer a Patient Assistance Program?
A. Yes, the Teva Assistance Program (TAP) helps provide life-saving cancer medications to patients who lack insurance coverage and are unable to afford therapy. Only certain Teva medications are covered under this program. To find out if you qualify and if your medication is covered, please contact TAP toll free at 877.254.1039.

It might be worth giving them a call to see if they've changed things or if they have anything else to suggest.

I hope this is helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
peterjb1987

hey, liked to hear that man, im peter, hey everyone. ive been on subonoxe for two months now. i like the medication, i like my doctor, however, his office says they dont accept medicaid patients, even if they self pay... wich sounds weird, but i dont want to switch docs, but i have an s.s.i. case i might win, and automatically get medicaid. so i guess my question is, will he know if im on medicaid? and what does proir authorzation mean? im new at being clean, and it seems, something always commes up... things are going good, i dont mind paying this doc out of pocket... any advice would be great thanks.
peterjb1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi peterjb1987, welcome. I'm not sure if the doctor will find out if you're a medicaid patient if you don't say anything. What kind of a doctor is he - do you know if he accepts medicaid for other treatments? Might be interesting to have someone call and ask if he accepts medicaid patients for a regular (not addiction) office visit.

A prior authorization means that your doctor has to get approval from the insurance company to prescribe a medication. If you don't have one, then the insurance company may not cover it.

Do you know how long it will be until you find out if you win the SSI case?

Nancy
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #19
peterjb1987

he is a pain managment dr. and he doesnt accept medicaid period. and im not sure when ill win, but i was on it before... i know every medicaid lwas are different in every state...

Last edited by peterjb1987; 08-03-2012 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: wanted to add
peterjb1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
monique98

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjb1987 View Post
hey, liked to hear that man, im peter, hey everyone. ive been on subonoxe for two months now. i like the medication, i like my doctor, however, his office says they dont accept medicaid patients, even if they self pay... wich sounds weird, but i dont want to switch docs, but i have an s.s.i. case i might win, and automatically get medicaid. so i guess my question is, will he know if im on medicaid? and what does proir authorzation mean? im new at being clean, and it seems, something always commes up... things are going good, i dont mind paying this doc out of pocket... any advice would be great thanks.
I had this same issue, switching doctors, have medicaid. When I spoke to my old doctor's office, they specifically told me "Do not tell them you have medicaid when you call." I felt like I was lying, which I try my best not to do anymore. But I did go to the appointment without saying I had medicaid, however when it was time to get my prescription filled the doctor's office would not get the prior authorization in order for medicaid to pay for the prescription. I don't know what to do now. You had asked will they know if you're a medicaid patient and I guess my point is that now the doctor's office does know I have medicaid because the pharmacy faxed them a paper for the prior authorization.
monique98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
murphyluvnlife

I'm having same issue with my treatment. I live in Ohio and am on Medicaids managed care (Buckeye) program. I am blessed to have the films paid for. I only have a $2 co-pay. I am on SSI and am having a hell of a time finding a Dr. that will take the Buckeye. I am frustrated with the treatment matching service through NAABT because I specified in my message to providers DO NOT REPLY UNLESS YOU ACCEPT BUCKEYE, and I still keep getting e-mails from the same yahoos that DO NOT accept the buckeye. I cannot afford the visits and am sad to say I am doing unspiritual things in order to get the money for my visit each month. I am gonna call the ins company and Suboxones here to help number tommorow, and maybe they can help.
murphyluvnlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #22
wntpce

Where in Al do you live and did you find a dr.
wntpce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #23
asouth32

Yeah I put on mine don't reply unless you accept KY Medicaid/Wellcare and they never say in their reply if they do accept.
asouth32 is online now   Reply With Quote