Addiction Survivors

Unread 01-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
DREW1986

Exclamation (Possible) Buprenorphine film strip (Clinical Trial sites)

Hi Everyone, I have not posted on this site in a while, But I'm always on, reading other people's post. And every once in a while I see a question with someone asking about the generic form of suboxone or the suboxone Strips that may posssibly be coming to the market. I have been wondering the same things, I was ecspecially interested in the idea of a Suboxone Strip that could melt much quicker when placed under the tongue. I was just doing some research on this subject, And when I googled Suboxone Strips, I found quit a few sites about clinical trials of "Suboxone Film Strips". I don't want to get anyone's hope's up or down. But When I searched what is a Medication Film Strip It defined exactly what we have been wondering about. A Gel like strip
(like listerine strip Possibly) That could be placed under the tongue for a much quicker absorbtion of a certain medication. I'm not real good at understanding everything that is put on the clinical trial sites. But I think that there have been many clinical trials that were testing "Suboxone Film Strips". I can't really find anymore information on this subject except what pop's up on google, which is all clinical trials of "Suboxone Film Strips". I thought some people here might be interested in these clinical trial sites. Nancy If you are reading this, I thought you would definetly be intersted in this. You Probably have known all about these clinical trials, but just in case you have not heard, I definitly wanted you to hear about this. And I was thinking if anyone knows or could find out anymore information about these clinical trials it would have to be Nancy. Do you know about these clincal trials Nancy? And if you have known, do you have anymore information or could you get more information about these clinical trials than what is posted on these sites? I'm very interested in these suboxone film strips and I really hope they make it to the market. I think It would make it so much easier to take this medication, anywhere or at anytime than the traditional Suboxone tablets. Any Input/information would be really appreciated from anyone that may know more. If anyone wants to check this out if you have not heard or seen anything about this. I found it at (http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00640835) Or at (www.google.com) (when you type in suboxone film strip/suboxone strips)
Maybe you guys will know more or can find out more about about this than I can. Thank you Nancy!/ Thank you everyone!

DREW22
DREW1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to DREW1986 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-29-2011)
Unread 01-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Drew1986, thanks for posting that information. Hopefully it will be a reality soon. It would probably also make it a lot easier to taper, if the strips could be cut.

Here a quote from the following thread about the strips that you might be interested in:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...uboxone+strips
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella07 View Post
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum! So sorry to hear about your accident and hope you are on the mend.

Re: melting - Is there any possibility of your doctor rxing subutex ? I found that even though it is bitter, I got used to the taste and when I was taking an 8mg it melted within 10 minutes, now at 4mgs it only takes about 5 minutes. I know RB did a survey about making those melting strips, though I know it does not help now.

Also, if your doctor will not rx tex, could you ask him for permision for a compounding pharmacy? There was a guy here, who had his made into a flavor , it looks like a wax square. I knew what he was talking about because when I was in detox that is how the bupe was given out in the facility. It tasted like candy - nothing like suboxone or even tex and melted very fast as well.

I hope your doctor will work with you on this, I hate to think of you wasting sub because it does not have enough time to melt and absorb. If your doctor is not willing to help out, maybe you could use the physician locator to find someone who is willing to listen and provide alternatives.

I wish you luck with this and please keep us posted, take care , Isa

And here's a thread about them:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16295

I'll definitely post if I find anything else out.

Hope you're doing well!
Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
TIM

FDA approves Suboxone Film 8/31/2010

more here
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=25069

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
toms

I suspect this will be a way to charge outrageous prices for another eight years.
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
TIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms View Post
I suspect this will be a way to charge outrageous prices for another eight years.
That’s a glass half-empty view, a glass half-full view might notice that this type of improvement could help ensure that buprenorphine isn’t regulated away from everyone. Consider the DEA’s unusual zeal to inspect providers of this safe and effective treatment. They have exaggerated the diversion by publishing statistics in percentage increases instead of actual numbers so it looks more severe than it is. Why would they do this if not as a way to further restrict access. Accidental pediatric exposure to buprenorphine is one negative they could exploit to relegate buprenorphine to the methadone clinics for supervised dosing. If so it could mean an end to office-based addiction treatment. The new formulation and packaging makes it very difficult for children to take the medication, as they would need to get through several child resistant packages to expose themselves to the same risk of opening one tablet bottle.

I think even if it were free some people would complain about the inconvenience of going to the pharmacy, but when you come down to it $8-$16 a day for a lifesaving medication is a bargain. Especially when you compare it to what the other options are, Rapid detox approx $17,000 (determined to be dangerous and ineffective) In patient detox up to $30,000/month (multiple treatments are the norm and still have about a 5% success rate) or the methadone clinic model of daily supervised dosing and random witnessed urine testing.

In 2000 the original patent for buprenorphine was long since expired so any pharma company could have produced bupe, but not a single US pharma company did. NIDA had to partner with RB (a UK company) that never had a pharmaceutical product before or a network of drug reps, and at the time they took on the gamble it was illegal to prescribe buprenorphine for addiction. We can complain that they don’t give away the medication, or we can be grateful it exists at all, and be happy it’s being improved to foil the DEA’s intention to restrict it further.

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
6 Users Say Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-31-2010), Thank You (09-02-2010), Thank You (08-31-2010), Thank You (08-31-2010), Thank You (08-31-2010), Thank You (09-06-2010)
Unread 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
toms

I just hate to see suboxone gong down the path Tylenol and other drugs have gone. Endless repackaging allows the manufacturer to renew the patent period for what may be dubious reasons. Still, at least to my knowledge, no generic version of the med is available. Buprenorphine, given the prices charged elsewhere, isn't that expensive a compound to manufacture, yet addicts everywhere pay the price of game-playing with government bureaucracies.
Unread 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
TIM

In this case there is no patent to extend. This improvement to the product doesn’t hamper the generic companies from making their own, so patients aren’t suffering, they’re benefitting from more choice. I really don’t see how this product improvement is dubious. I think it’s a natural progression to head off diversion concerns, pediatric exposures, improve taste, and dissolve time.

I agree that patients are paying the price of government bureaucracy, sometimes with their lives, when bupe is inaccessible. It’s crazy that any doctor can prescribe the drugs people get addicted to and die from, but when those same patients become addicted only 1 in 100 doctors actually prescribes the safer treatment medication. It’s all due to a 1914 law, created when little was known about addiction medicine and is now protecting people from a medication that could save their lives. This law should be amended; any provider who can prescribe dangerous full agonist opioids should also be able to prescribe the safer partial agonist drug.

Tim

Unread 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
toms

So the film is to be an additional option, rather than a replacement for the tabs? I dunno....better taste or some protection to children may have limited appeal, but hardly seem to merit a reformulation. My fear would be that the DEA would try to say that it would be the only available option. I continue to read posts from folks who are being forced off treatment too soon because they cannot handle the cost.

Whatever happened to to the move towards OBOT with methadone? The relaxation of laws in 2002 seemed to be a big step in the right direction, but the whole notion seemed to lose steam. On one hand, we heard the "treat the sick, don't imprison them" song, but that always seems followed by ever-increasing regulations and other barriers to effective and affordable treatment. Even for those of us who have demonstrated great improvement over a span of years seem to continually face more barriers just to maintain our progress. No matter what happens, the same myth carries on: that somehow the goal of treatment ought to be abstinence from medication rather than freedom from addiction.
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
TIM

The stigma is still a major factor and it’s keeping lawmakers from taking up the cause. Until they see “patients” and not “addicts” there won’t be enough support to change the law. We have been trying hard to change the language and urge others to use appropriate medical language when talking about the condition or its treatments, but the street slang and drug war terms and labels persist. “A drug to sooth the cravings of dope sick addicts” (as the Boston Herald once characterized buprenorphine) will not garner support from lawmakers seeking public approval or a rise in the polls, but “access to medication to patients suffering from a life-threatening medical condition” has a better chance, and is more accurate. As long as they see buprenorphine (or methadone) as a “replacement for heroin” and a “legal way to stay high” instead of “a medication that allows patients to achieve sustained addiction remission” they won’t be for it and even might be against it. Imagine being against a medication that’s been proven to save lives, increase employment, decrease HIV, HEP-C, decrease overdose deaths, and help people escape from the uncontrollable compulsion of addiction, all because they misunderstand what the medication actually does.
Tim

Unread 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
toms

All true....and a classic illustration of the idiocy of politicians dictating to doctors. The "giving addicts what they want" myth has been debunked for many years, yet it persists everywhere. Another falsehood is that somehow government can regulate its way to "victory in the 'drug war'".
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
TIM

If you get a chance read the laws that makes it illegal for doctors to prescribe opioid-based medications for those addicted to opioids. You’ll notice that by the letter of the law it shouldn’t be illegal, in fact doctors treating addiction are exempt, but due to misunderstanding by people who don’t understand addiction, it’s become illegal. http://www.naabt.org/laws.cfm see this one in particular: http://www.naabt.org/documents/Webb_...Sates_1919.pdf (question3)

Part of the problem is that the policy makers don’t understand the condition so their remedies are destined to fail. They see the problem as “drugs” not “addiction”. So in their mind you eliminate the drugs you eliminate the problem, so detox treatments make sense to them. When detox treatments fail, they don’t reexamine their premise they instead assume the patient didn’t try hard enough. As detox treatments continue to fail repeatedly they consider medication assisted treatment but for the wrong reasons. They see it as a legal intoxicant and the lesser of two evils.

If they knew that the real problem is “addiction” they would know that detox shouldn’t be expected to be successful as it does nothing at all to correct the brain adaptations of addiction. They would know medication assisted treatment is not an intoxicant, but suppresses symptoms of withdrawal which allows the patient to make the positive changes in their patterns of behavior that will ultimately reverse the brain adaptations and lead to sustained addiction remission. If they knew this they wouldn’t see buprenorphine as the “lesser of two evils” but as the lifesaving treatment medication it is. It’s amazing the stigma is still overpowering the tremendous amount of scientific evidence that explains what addiction is and how to treat it.

Tim

2 Users Say Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-02-2010), Thank You (09-05-2010)
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Opoidlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms View Post

Actually I heard there is going to be a $75.00 out of pocket credit for all prescriptions of the new film, which would save a lot of people, including myself, money. I also think it is going to be around the same cost as the original.
Thank You (09-02-2010)
Unread 09-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
caseywr

Smile Where did you get the strips filled at?

I thought that that the strips were not going to be avaliable until October 2010. When you got your script for the strips did you get them filled and where? I would like to know, so I can go and get the strips next next week when I get my prescription refilled by my doctor.
caseywr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
sarah

My doctor said the films will be in pharmacies after September 20th.
Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
caseywr

Smile Thanks

Thanks Thats Great! I will make sure to ask my doctor and walgreens in my town to see if i can get it in sept. too! Thanks for the response. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
My doctor said the films will be in pharmacies after September 20th.
Sarah
caseywr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
kathy35

hi.i read what u said about not knowing about suboxin film...i'm on them you can cut them ..they are not jell but like a listrin mouth freshiner..they work the same as the pill.they just melt faster..

the films are alot cheaper then the pills..

i read what tim said about the out rageous prices...the film is cheaper.nd its always ur decision to ask the doc for what u perfer(pills or film)...their just tryin to help make us opiate users a few options..
kathy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
kathy35

Default suboxin

has anyone ever heard of the saying" pick your poision"....everyone its your addiction.only you know what helps best..its differant for everyone...lets not bitch that the goverment is ripping us off..their tryin to help..but like everything their is a cost....at least its cheaper than buying the vicodin,oxy's,morphin pills off the streets...
kathy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to kathy35 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-23-2010)
Unread 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
KaterPotator

Hi, my name is Katie and I am 23 years old. I went to my Suboxone Treatment Doctor on Tuesday 11-2-10. I was prescribed the new Suboxone Film Strip. And I went to fill them at my corner store pharmacy. Because Cigna Insurance messed up my claim I am still not elligable for lower co-payment costs for my script. My doctor sent me home with a $75.00 off a month card. Unfortunately he failed to put the discount card in the information folder. Other than that small discount. I am sorry to "let the cat out of the bag" but, unfortunately, the film strips are $8.00 a piece. So they pretty much cost the same without insurance benefits/coverage. The film strips come in every available miligram. They are indvidually wrapped. And they remind me of the breath strips. They still have the same taste. But, fortunately, the film strip dissolves within 20 seconds of being placed under the tongue. And presede to take affect within 20 minutes. Thank GOD for this new invention. My pharmisist says the goal of the Suboxone Company makers, is to remove all Suboxone pill forms within the next year off of the market. We can thank everyone that abused the pill form of Suboxone by crushing them up and snorting them or shooting them up for that recall. Luckily, I prefer the film strip over the pill anyday. But everyone is quote on quote different when it comes to the topic of how each individual responds to certain medications. And I know that some people may prefer the pill over the new film strip. My suggestion to those people are to get as many pills as possible of Suboxone and try to stock pile. But, for sure within a year the pill form of Suboxone will completely be history to the Suboxone patients... So to answer some of your questions. Yes, the new Suboxone film strip is available for prescribed Suboxone patients. Be sure if you participate in recieving the new Suboxone film strips. You read the packet of information in the folder your doctor must give you before switching, and be sure to look for the $75.00 discount card. These film strips are alot different. The have to be stored in room temperature climate or else with dissolve in their individual packets... Aa]gain if you have any questions... Feel free to ask... Thanks for listening... Sicerly-Katie
KaterPotator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #19
MissSurvivor

Unfortunatley, when I was googling the strips, people have already found ways to abuse the film strips. Seriously? It'll never really stop but I'm glad they have made these, not everyone is stupid enough to do it, hopefully. But people will find any way to get high.
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #20
tlg

KaterPotator-
here is the link to the link to the post that's been going for a while on this site on the strips. There's a lot of info on there from people who've tried it. As far as I understand, as long as the ouch hasn't been opened, you shouldn't have to worry about them dissolving, it's once you open them and if you are having to cut them to do a different dose, that you have to worry more about the weather, humidty, wetness, ect that will effect them. As fat as them taking the pills off the shelf, it has not been reported publicly by RB, the company who makes the medication, that they will for sure be discontinuing the tablets yet, but a lot of doctors and pharmacies are telling their patients that they are going to be pulling them. For me, it doesn't matter either way. I personally like the strips a lot better, but when it comes down to it, as long as I am happy and healthy with taking this medication that's helped saved my life, I don't care how it taste's or what form it comes in, I am just happy it is available to me. Take a peek at the link if youo'd like, you might find some good information, and some good ideas on storing the strips after they've been opened. Thanks for your input!
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=25176
Thank You (11-04-2010)
Unread 11-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
Just_a_Gurl

I haven't been on here in a LONG time - been crazy busy.. but I just got the new Film Strip version of suboxone two days ago and I am SOOO psyched!!
A few of the positive points in my life
Quicker dissolve rate
Slightly less bad taste
No chalky flavor
The pills always stained my lower teeth a little (until i could brush again)
No need to tote around a pill bottle

I dont know about you, but I am always freaked out by keeping a pill bottle in my pocket book or desk drawer. For one, if someone was nosy or looking for some pills to steal, its a HUGE red flag to attract them to see what it is. The other is the simple stigma that comes with co-workers and families of watching open that orange bottle and put a pill in your mouth.

It feel it's so much more discrete and in general EASY that I can't see why anyone would prefer the pills.

My doc. also said that the reason that they switched to these is because the FDA has an aversion to any opiate pill. A stupid aversion, but basically they fill a non-pill med would mean less abuse.

Anyways, I got mine and I am SOO psyched. I am lucky because I have insurance and I only pay $45 for brand name meds and $10 for generics. Sure it would be awesome to save money on a generic version, but I don't mind working a little extra hard to make $45 a month extra..
Just_a_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #22
Sub-Zero

just_a_girl,
You can get that $45 paid for with the discount card until the end of March. So your film will be free! you can print out a discount card here http://suboxone.com/patients/here_to...aspx?cid=hthpf
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #23
Just_a_Gurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
just_a_girl,
You can get that $45 paid for with the discount card until the end of March. So your film will be free! you can print out a discount card here http://suboxone.com/patients/here_to...aspx?cid=hthpf
Sub
OHHH MY GOD!! I knew there was a reason why I came back here to post!!!

NEVER MIND THAT LAST PARAGRAPH. I had a hard time getting it to print. I went back to the home page of that site and clicked to the link and it worked.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Just_a_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote