Addiction Survivors

Unread 01-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
hensley258

Default Will Suboxone show up on my drug test?

My work does random drug screening. They use a standard 5 pannel Urine test. Will I show positive for Opiate usage with this test?

My guess is that since Suboxone is an Opiate that I will show positive.
I hate to have to explain my Opiate usage to my Boss.

In fact I would probably lose my job when I fail the test.

It's called a Nida 5 Urine test. They didn't detect my Benzodiazapine (Xanax) on the last urine test. That has me confused because I take 2Mgs of Xanax per day.

I keep getting different answers and don't know what to beleive anymore about that.
hensley258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi hensely258, buprenorphine does not show up in a regular drug screen. It has to be specifically tested for. This explains is in detail:
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm#78

Does buprenorphine show up in an employer drug screening?
Buprenorphine has to be specifically tested for and isn’t commonly included on standard drug screen panels. Buprenorphine will NOT cause a positive result on tests for other opiates. The typical urine tests used to detect methadone, oxycodone, heroin, and other opioids check for a different metabolite than that found with buprenorphine and will not show a positive result in buprenorphine (only) maintained patients.

There are in-office tests specifically for buprenorphine that will detect it. These tests are not common but can be purchased on the internet, however we know of none that are CLIA-waved.

It is very unusual for an employer to test for buprenorphine, at least for now.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
hensley258

That's a relief. Thanks I feel better now.

They do these ramdom test every 3 months at my work and even though I have a script, I just didn't want to expose my private treatment to my employer.

Thanks.
hensley258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

I'm glad it helped. I absolutely don't blame you for not telling your employer about your treatment. It's your business, not theirs.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
RyanSDMN54

Hensley258,
i just took a 5 pannel pre employment drug test> I was afraid that the Subs would should show up but it didnt. 100% clean and got the job. Goodluck and dont worry about it you will be fine.
Ryan
RyanSDMN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
hairgirl

Yeah, No Worries.As Nancy said- it has to be specifically tested for.
hairgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
shaman007

Hensley, you might review your employers handbook reguarding precriptions as some require you to notify your supervisor esp. if you have a position that may pose danger to yourself or others. ie heavy equipment opperator, pilot, etc. take care shaman007
shaman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Just_a_Gurl

My husband was a truck driver for the first few years I knew him. he would ALWAYS get random drug tests (THANK GOD for us other drivers!) and he was on suboxone for some time and it NEVER showed up. They tested for all types of illegal drugs but never specifically for Bupe.

BTW, how are you feeling??
Just_a_Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote