Addiction Survivors

Unread 11-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
VigilantSound

Default Soboxone and mouth swab drug test

First of I am a new member of this forum however, i have been on suboxone for 3 years and my treatment has so far been a success.

I have an oral swab drug test coming up for a job and i would like to keep the fact that i am on suboxone to myself because its my buisness not my employers, so does any one know if suboxone will show up on a mouth swab drug test?
VigilantSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #2
Smith

VigilantSound

They probably do have a test for bupe that is a mouth swab. Although the chance are even less then for the regular urine test. The chances of them actually doing it is very slim. Most doctors have never even heard of it, most pharmacy's don't carry it, and few pharmacists even know what suboxone or subutex is. So of all the things they could test for, It probably will not be bupe. Unless they realy like wasting their money. Bupe it's self will not show up as a false positive on any of the opioid or opiate tests. So you don't have to worry about that. The two things that could happen are one for some strange reason the company decided to test for this obscure, virtually never misused and almost completely unmisusable drug. The second thing and the thing I would worry about more, is in the seldom used opioid test, very large concentrations of naloxone can show up as a false positive. It takes a lot of naloxone to show up, so I wouldn't be to concerned. Just in case if it was me, I might try to put as much time as possible between when I took my suboxone and when I took the test, you could even take extra bupe the day before and skip it all together the day of the test. I would brush my teeth and gums well, drink lot of fluids and swish it around in your mouth and under your toungue then just go for it. I would not disolve my suboxone then 5 min. latter go get my mouth swabbed. If you take subutex you don't even have to worry about this possibility. If they found it anyway, many companies can not discriminate against you because of it anyway. If they some how receive federal funds then they can't discriminate, unless they are the government or you need security clearance or something. Here look this over http://www.naabt.org/documents/know_your_rights_01.pdf

So I wouldn't worry, it's a really long shot, most tests that might possibly have it would be like drug testing for probation, or something where they run like a huge expensive 21 panel drug tests, and even then the positive are sent off for conformation, using several different methods, so if it was bupe or naloxone these conformation tests would likely not also show up as a positive. Even the 12 panel ones are unlikely to have bupe on it. The most common are cocaine, amphetiamine/methylamphetamine/MDA/MDMA, opiates, PCP, THC, and benzodiazepines.

So don't worry, if they want to test for it they probably still have to test specifically for it. Although as time goes on that seems to be changing.

Good luck, and if thats all you have to worry about, that's fantastic. Congratulations.

Smith
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi VigilantSound and welcome. I found these:
http://h8ed.okayblog.net/2007/03/18/...sts-explained/

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/work/a/aa040116.htm
"The new tests are expected to serve as another tool for employers, based on specific needs. A saliva test, which is taken with a swab inside the employee's mouth, is best at detecting any drug use within the past one or two days."

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
TIM

Hi VS,
This would apply to mouth swab tests too.

Does buprenorphine show up in an employer drug screening?

Buprenorphine has to be specifically tested for and isn’t commonly included on standard drug screen panels. Buprenorphine will NOT cause a positive result on tests for other opiates.

The typical urine tests used to detect methadone, oxycodone, heroin, and other opioids check for a different metabolite than that found with buprenorphine and will not show a positive result in buprenorphine (only) maintained patients. There are in-office tests specifically for buprenorphine that will detect it. These tests are not common but can be purchased on the internet, however we know of none that are CLIA-waved.

When reading in-office dip-strip tests be aware that faint lines are not ‘false positives” see this image of how to read this type of test correctly, and follow the manufacturer instructions: Reading test results

A typical employer multi drug screen might consist of a test for Amphetamine (AMP); Barbiturates (BAR)(Phenobarbital, Secobarbitol, Butalbital); Benzodiazepines(BZO)(Valium, Xanax, Librium, Serax, Rohypnol); Cocaine (COC); Marijuana (THC); Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)(Ecstasy); Opiates (OPI); Oxycodone (OXY); Phencyclidine (PCP); Propoxyphene (PPX)(Darvon compounds); and Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCA)

Employers that expand their tests might include some of the following: Hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin), Methaqualone (Quaaludes), Methadone, Ethanol (Alcohol)

It is very unusual for an employer to test for buprenorphine, at least for now.

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote