Addiction Survivors

Unread 09-09-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
princenamor

Exclamation What happens if you swallow Suboxone?

I was talking to my roommate wile my pill was dissolving under my tongue. It either dissolved really fast, fell out, or I swallowed what was left of the half dissolved pill. I can't see it on the floor so I don't think it fell out. I know at least some of it dissolved. If I swallowed it before it dissolved does that mean I got the whole dose, and would there be unwanted effects? Should I assume I had my whole dose, or take 2mg extra just in case?
princenamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 03:51 AM   #2
animalman

From what I understand, taken orally it simply doesn't absorb worth a crap. I'm sure it wont hurt you but its given sublingually because of its poor absorption and rapid 1st pass metabolism when taken orally. I know when I swallow too much of the juice when its dissolving I get nauseous. Thats probably all you will have to worry about. I'm not sure about naloxone's absorption orally, its very poor sublingually which is why its effects are negligable when taken that way but I wonder if you might absorb more of the naloxone if you swallow it.
animalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi princenamor, both buprenorphine and naloxone have poor bioavailability in the GI tract. You may get some benefit, but not nearly as much as when taken sublingually.

Did you notice any difference? Did you have to take 2mg more?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
animalman

I read that it is only 20% as bioavailable in the GI tract compared to Sublingually.
animalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
joshfarc

Like a month ago I actually swallowed my entire 8mg pill of sub! I thought it was my vitamin B pill....I keep them together sometimes and just grabbed it without looking! Dumbass here, i know. Anyway, I really did not even get a stomach ache from the pill, as I was worried about it somewhat. I did dose 4mg extra sublingually right after I realized I swallowed the 8mg.... and I never felt weird or anything.

Who knows, stupid sub!
joshfarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
DJone

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalman View Post
I read that it is only 20% as bioavailable in the GI tract compared to Sublingually.
It's actually only about 10% bioavailable because of the high first pass metabolism reaction. So if you are certain you swallowed it, I would definitely at least take half your normal dose sublingually right away or this has happened to me before when I break it up in pieces to help dissolve quicker and I think to myself "It could have never dissolved that fast, I must have swallowed it!", but depending on how much saliva is in your mouth, how dry or wet it is, what you just ate, how constricted or dilated your blood vessels in your mouth are, it can dissolve very fast, especially when broken up.

So it's really up to you to make the choice in the end. But if you are certain you swallowed, I would dose at least half your normal dose sublingually right away, but if you are unsure, you probably took it the correct way, just got side-tracked by conversation.

Take care and be safe!

Mike.
DJone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
OhioMike

If you swallow Sub your wasting your money and not finding your true lowest possible dose. Just take it as directed and do things correctly.
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
DJone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
If you swallow Sub your wasting your money and not finding your true lowest possible dose. Just take it as directed and do things correctly.
By reading the original post, I really don't think that he [the original poster] actually MEANT to SWALLOW the dose, he just thought it may have happened pre-maturely while he was being distracted via conversation with a friend. That's all. I think everyone LEGALLY on Suboxone knows, or should know that swallowing it is a waste because of the poor bioavailability.

Just wanted to clear things up.

Mike.
DJone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
OhioMike

Quote:
i think everyone legally on suboxone knows, or should know that swallowing it is a waste because of the poor bioavailability.

Just wanted to clear things up.
lol ok
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
daelia

Default New to sublinguil

WELL MY QUESTION IS IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF SALIVA AFTER THE PILL DISOLVES DO YOU SWALLOW IT? I AM NOT SURE IF I AM GETTING THE WHOLE DOSE BUT I CAN SIT THERE WITH IT UNDER MY TONGUE FOREVER. THIS MORNING I TOOK MY 1/2 WITH A VERY DRY MOUTH AND IT TOOK 20 MINUTES TO DISSOLVE BUT IF I DRINK WATER OR SOMETHING BEFORE IT DISSOLVES VERY QUICKLY. HOW DO I KNOW I AM GETTING THE FULL BENEFIT OF THE DOSE IF IT SEEMS ITS STILL IN MY MOUTH IN THE SALIVA...THIS PART IS REALLY CONFUSING ME!
daelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
gotitang

I just swallow!
GUYS...........don't give me any shit for that comment! wink! LOL
gotitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #12
OhioMike

If it does not adversely affect you, then there is no problem with swallowing it. If it does adversely affect you, then spit it out. So long as you let the tablet dissolve completely and thoroughly it should not effect the amount you are getting or at the very least, not enough to make much of a difference.

OMike

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=13397
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
daelia

Thanks that helps. Sometimes a little tummy upset. This morning was my first day back to the gym and i couldn't stay after my spin class because i felt nauseated...so i guess i am still working on whats best for me. Like yesterday only took one dose because if i take one before bed i don't sleep well. I couldn't click on that link that you have here....
Unread 09-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
daelia

Thanks, got it!
Unread 09-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #15
joshfarc

ang swallows? ...............wait..........so do I.......shiiiiiiiit
joshfarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
akasandra

I wouldn't bother taking more... it probly just all dissolved b4 u knew it.

As for swallowing versus dissolving. Sometime i just swallow mine cuz i cant stand that taste... but i do notice it doesn't work quite as well as when i dissolve it.
akasandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #17
Chris1972

Default Swallowing Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by princenamor View Post
I was talking to my roommate wile my pill was dissolving under my tongue. It either dissolved really fast, fell out, or I swallowed what was left of the half dissolved pill. I can't see it on the floor so I don't think it fell out. I know at least some of it dissolved. If I swallowed it before it dissolved does that mean I got the whole dose, and would there be unwanted effects? Should I assume I had my whole dose, or take 2mg extra just in case?
I swallowed my entire 10mg dose (on purpouse taste put me off not well at the time ) appart from not holding me and hanging out . There was no adverese side affects the withdrawl was not that bad felt no need to dose again as a single dose should last for upto 48 hours anyway .You should not feel the need to take anymore .
Chris1972 is offline   Reply With Quote