Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Douglas

Default Getting off Suboxone w/ Lomotil

I have been totally amazed having been off Suboxone for 2 months now with the aid of Lomotil.

Lomotil is otherwise known as diphenoxalate, and has a small amount of Atopine in it.

The first day I switched from Suboxone to Lomotil, I took four pills, and felt no ill effects. I did this for 1 1/2 months, and then teminated the Lomotil. Since that day, I have had no desire to do Suboxone nor any Lomotil. It has stumpt me, I'm not sure the chemical processes involved, but it has worked for me.

I have been of Suboxone for 1 1/2 months and Lomotil for 1/2 a month.

Many will write, Lomotil is dependent, but at the 2.5mg dose, it is very easy to stop.

Just an alternative for those who are having a hard time coming off Suboxone. When my doctor moved, I told him I was afraid of the constant diarhea I would experience, and if he could prescribe Lomotil for this symptom. He had no problem presribing Lomotil 2.5mg x 100, plus 2 refills.

I have had no diarhea, no problems sleeping, and generally feel thankful that I am off both.

Good Luck to those who suffer needlessly,

Doug
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
DJone

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Douglas

I have been totally amazed having been off Suboxone for 2 months now with the aid of Lomotil.

Lomotil is otherwise known as diphenoxalate, and has a small amount of Atopine in it.

The first day I switched from Suboxone to Lomotil, I took four pills, and felt no ill effects. I did this for 1 1/2 months, and then teminated the Lomotil. Since that day, I have had no desire to do Suboxone nor any Lomotil. It has stumpt me, I'm not sure the chemical processes involved, but it has worked for me.

I have been of Suboxone for 1 1/2 months and Lomotil for 1/2 a month.

Many will write, Lomotil is dependent, but at the 2.5mg dose, it is very easy to stop.

Just an alternative for those who are having a hard time coming off Suboxone. When my doctor moved, I told him I was afraid of the constant diarhea I would experience, and if he could prescribe Lomotil for this symptom. He had no problem presribing Lomotil 2.5mg x 100, plus 2 refills.

I have had no diarhea, no problems sleeping, and generally feel thankful that I am off both.

Good Luck to those who suffer needlessly,

Doug
Doug,

That's great to hear!

Lomotil is a schedule V drug, somewhat similar to Loperamide (Immodium) in the way that it has an almost identical chemical structure to that of an opioid; in this case, Meperidine (Demerol).

This would be one of the reasons that it seems to help better than say, Pepto-bismol; because it in fact stimulates the receptor sites in your brain (Because of one of the active ingredients being an actual mu opiate receptor agonist), but at a very, very low level (Much, much, much less than Buprenorphine or any prescription pain killer), which helps to keep withdrawal symptoms equalized/in-check. This is pretty much the only reason why the drug is a schedule V, and does have a warning about being addictive, because at higher doses, opiate naive individuals [and those with no tolerance at all] can actual experience [physical] dependency from it; no big deal though; it is MUCH easier to come off of than say Suboxone or even Hydrocodone [obviously], as it is literally a fraction of the strength (Basically starting with an opiate, and chemically re-configuring it to allow the "constipation" side effect to be the only noticeable one).

And as a side note, Lomotil contains two active ingredients; Diphenoxylate (Mu opiate receptor agonist) and Atropine (Anticholinergic). Believe it or not, Diphenoxylate, when sold by itself, is a schedule II drug (Same as Oxycodone, Methadone, Morphine, Fentanyl, etc.), but when mixed with at least one other active ingredient, it's listed as schedule V. The Atropine that is added as the second active ingredient in Lomotil is to detour abuse of the drug. It does this when taken in excessive amounts, by increasing your heartbeat very noticeably (And the potential in high enough doses to be lethal) that one becomes uncomfortable and/or needs medical attention.

Though this drug has it's ups and downs, it may be something I'd look into when I am ready to come off of Suboxone. It may not be for everyone though (Especially those who are hypo/hypertensive, have diabetes, etc.) and only you and your doctor can decide this. And as said above, this drug IS an opiate and can be addicting (Though highly unlikely, but still possible)!

I didn't mean for this post to be negative [or positive for that matter], but informative for those interested. I'm glad it worked for you Doug, and I'm going to take a little better look at it, perhaps considering it for myself.

More information can be seen/read at:

Lomotil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomotil

Diphenoxylate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenoxylate

Atropine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropine

Mike.
DJone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Douglas

DJone,

I agree with everything you said. In my personal experience I find it much stronger than I thought originally. It's related to meperidine, but seems to last much longer.

The dry mouth I could do without (atropine).

Immodium, when first entered the market, it was classified as a Schedule V. Then they discovered it did not cross the BBB. If it could it would be a very, very powerful narcotic. Scientist say when taking with Quinidine and 16mg of Immodium, it does cross the BBB. Who knows. They are experimenting with nanoparticles coated with Polysorbate 80.

I don't want to sound estatic, but Lomotil is an easy way to detox one from opiates. It help kick me off Suboxone at 4mg, so it might have some potential.

Doug
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Mike

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Douglas

Doug,
Most of the people here who tapered off sub didn't have any problem doing it. (Sam being the most recent) My taper experience was similar to yours and I didn't take anything. IMO- you would have been fine even without the lomotil, I doubt it did anything, accept for the psychological aspect. Nonetheless congratulations!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote