Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Annie

Default how long to keep under tongue

I just read that someone keeps their Subutex under their tongue for 30-40 min. I thought once the tablet was dissolved that was it - you could swallow, spit whatever the residue. SHould I be keeping it under my tongue for a period of time even after its dissolved??
I wasn't told that.. Thanks. Annnie
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
coffeebean

Hi Annie,

I think everyone is different on how long they keep it under their tongue. I am on subutex, too. I keep mine under my tongue until all of the bitterness is gone. Subutex is so bitter, and when I accidentally get it on my tongue (in the back is the worst!), it gags me! So I just wait, and when it isn't bitter anymore, I spit it out. Sometimes I swallow, but usually not. When I swallow, I can tell more easily if it's still bitter or not, though. (I've been on the subutex for just over 2 years, though, so I can tell now even if I don't swallow it).

I'm not sure what others do. How is the way you've been doing it been working out for you?

Coffee...
coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Smith

Hi Annie

That was probably me huh?

It's because when I did my inductions I always had withdrawals still. So I tried to get every last bit of bupe out of the tablet. That is why I waited 40 minutes. I'm sure it is over kill. How it works though is that the bupe can not absorb from the solid, it has to disolve before it can be absorbed by the tissue under your tongue. As the tablet dissolves the bupe in the dissolved part then can all ready start being absorbed. I'm sure even after the tablet is completely dissolved there is still some bupe in your saliva that has yet to be absorbed. If you waited a while longer without spiting your saliva I'm pretty sure you will get more out of each tablet then if you immediately spit. Once it is absorbed by the tissue it then slowly passes into the blood stream. Also swallowed bupe has 1/5 th the bioavailability of sublingual bupe. So I always swallowed subutex, but spit suboxone, because I thought it might help with the headaches.

Smith
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Annie

To answer your question Coffee,
I'm having a little trouble getting stabalized - sometimes I feel like 2 mg is enough, other times I end up with craving and generally feeling bad. I have to admit I usu take my SUbutex while I'm `on the go' and I KNOW I don't always hold it under my tongue very long. I was just wondering what others did or if it matters that much. Since such a small amount has such a big effect, I figured every little bit helps. Thanks.
Annie
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
defeatedone

i only do 15 min exactly then spit out the rest. my dr wont let me switch to subutex though.
defeatedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Done

Annie

I have read that if you rinse your mouth out with really hot water before you put the sub under you tongue it helps to dilate the those blood vessels and the absorbtion is better.

I tried it, and i think that it works, and i think that the sub dissolves a bit quicker, too.

Good Luck, let us know how you are doing..
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
Douglas

Annie,

You don't necessarily have to keep the Suboxone under your tongue. That is what the company suggests, however as long as the Suboxone dissolves anywhere in the mouth and not swallowed, it will absorb through the mucosa into the blood stream.

I've been on Suboxone for 13 months, and for 4 days I kept it under my tongue. After that, I put it between my cheek and gum, like chewing tobacco. It definately works, or else I would be able to kick the Suboxone pretty easily. In fact, by keeping it between the cheek and gum, more is absorbed in the bloodstream. Try it, you won't gag, it dissolves nice and slow, and the taste is practically nill.

Doug
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote