Addiction Survivors

Unread 02-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Codydog

Default Suboxone with Amoxicillin?

Developed a nice little ear infection and have been prescribed Amoxicillin. Is there any potential problem by taking the Suboxone and Amoxicillin together? The literature for Suboxone indicates that a Dr. should be consulted before taking any macrolide antibiotic. I'm not a MD or a pharmacist, but I don't think its a macrolide; I think Amoxicillin is part of the penicillin family and is slightly different than an macrolide (eg., Erythromycin). Ordinarily I would call my Dr., but he is not reachable until Monday (and has a strict policy of not being able to be reached unless its a clinical emergency that would otherwise take one to the ER). Any MDs out there on this forum who could advise whether its safe to take the two medications together??? Thanks.
Codydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
isabella07

Hi Cody = I have no idea-could you ask a pharmacist? Like one who is willing to really check into it? I wanted to say Hi- I usually do not "run" into you- unless we are in chat.I hope the ear infection gets better soon : ) Isa
isabella07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Codydog

Hi Isabella!! Good idea about the pharmacist. I'll give it a shot though pharmacies these days are so busy its hard to get through to anyone to get an answer. I was hoping this question had come up before and that someone may know, though I did search the archives and there was nothing definitive--only a few posts indicating that others have taken antibiotics (the name or type not specified) without incident. Anyway, thanks so much for your well wishes. Its greatly appreciated.
Codydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
SpAcEdGeD

You should have no problem taking Amoxcicillin and Sub together. I have had to take that medication numerous times no big deal.
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Douglas

Codydog,

I got an infection that started like an ingrown hair. Anyway it got infected and they gave me Keflex and Batric DS. No problems.

Check this out: http://www.healthline.com/multumcontent/buprenorphine/3

Doug
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Bella7

Hi Codydog, I have been on Clindamycin (b/c of a skin infection). I hear it's a pretty potent antibiotic, but I have had no problems.

I totally agree with Isabella.

I spent my first week on Sub on the phone with any pharmacist I could talk to- they are very helpful, especially in the middle of the night when you can't get a doctor, and very nice, too. They are there to help.

I do hope you feel better soon! I know how awful ear infections can be.

Take care!
Bella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Smith

CodyDog

I'm not a pharmacist, or MD either, but for sure amoxicillin is not a Macrolide anti-infective.

Just my personal experence, I have even taken large doses of both a Macrolide (clarithromycin) and a penicillins anti-infectives (amoxicillin) at the same time, and I've taken amoxicillin alone, and as Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium) a few times while on 8-16mg/day of bupe, and I was fine, I didn't have any significat side effects at all. Of course everyones different, I'm just telling you my story.

Hope you start feeling well soon.

Smith
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
sweetnicci24

I was put on Amoxicillin while I was taking Buprenorphine about 5 months ago & everything ended up just fine!!

I really hope that all things go well for you!!

Take Care.........***SweetNicci***
sweetnicci24 is offline   Reply With Quote