Addiction Survivors

Unread 12-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
mikells43

Default Pharmacists view on suboxone script

this is from www.theangrypharmacist.com someone wrote in about what he thinks when he sees a bupe script. heres what he had to say.

ATAP: What we think by looking at your Rx's
By The Angry Pharmacist on December 13, 2007 10:15 PM | Permalink | Comments (8) | TrackBacks (0)
I LOVE your blog! It's the only "personal" blog that I bother to read. I'm not a pharmacist, but my, uh, passion? for medicine has led to the nickname "Walgreens" from some friends and coworkers... :-/ Alright, here's my question... what do pharmacists think about people who have a buprenorphine script? I've never felt akward or self-concious about picking up a script until I got Suboxone. I feel like they look at me and just think, "*Policy Violation*in junkie," and maybe even dig thru my history in the computer to see what else I could be up to. What about methadone? Is there any less judgement with it because it could be for legitimate pain?
Clearly I can't speak for all the pharmacists out there, but if you came in to me with the Rx and I saw that it was Suboxone, I would clearly run around the pharmacy yelling "JUNKIE" while waving my hands around and throwing things at you. Then I call the police and say that you stole things to support your junkie ways..

... Or maybe not ...

Unless you wanted something filled early, threw a tantrum in the pharmacy, or bugged me 100 times a day to get something filled when it was not due, I wouldn't even give your Rx a second look or thought. I might think to myself "s**t, I hope I can dispense this whole bottle of Suboxone to her. I dont want this stuff on my shelves taking up space when I get 1 rx/month for it".

We're pharmacists, we are used to things like this. We work with controlled narcotics for a living. Coming in with an Rx for Suboxone isn't really a big deal to us. Obviously if you don't give us any grief, are on time and actually take an active stance in your care you don't even blip on our radar (we are too busy getting screamed at by the person behind you about why we wont fill her soma early).

This would be like us thinking "*Policy Violation*ING FATTIE PIG" for someone bringing in an Rx for some Actos or Glyburide or any other diabetes medication, "BAD MOTHER" for someone bringing in an Rx for lice medication for their children, "WHORE" for Plan-B or 1gm Zithromax, "DONT TOUCH ME" for Valtrex, the list could go on and on and on. We're more mature than that (sometimes).

I'd really like to hear what you have to say about it. And just for the record, I think bupe is a wonderful drug and has helped me tremedously. I used opiates for about two years recreationally, about 8-10 months daily use, and slid into IV use about two months before I was found out and went to rehab & put on maintenence. It takes away 95% of my cravings and I don't think I could have stayed without it.
I've gone to a few CE's about it and I think that its magical as well. Its helped a ton of people get back on track and go on with their lives. It seems like its done you well too. Best of luck.

i thouht it was pretty cool to read that, it was just out of the blue, i read his blog alot and someone actually wrote in about bupe.

keith
mikells43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
jasel

When I handed the pharmacist my Bupe scrip, the first thing he said was "Are you still taking Vicodin? You know it won't work if you're taking Suboxone..."
jasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
mikells43

lol,
Unread 12-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
FREEBIRD61

interesting site mike, I enjoyed reading alot of the blogs. Thanks FREEBIRD61
FREEBIRD61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Smith

I've had the most problems with pharmacists.

I live in LA so you would think it wouldn't be a problem, but it really is.
They are like "Suboxone? Huh......" Then they grab there really big white book. Then they go "I can't find it?"
At this point I say "look under phyc meds". They say "Oh......" They look, and all the sudden. They get this deer in the head lights look on their face, and they say" No! No! we don't carry that here" a complete "F%&^ing lie.
I say "Can you order it for me?" and they say "NO!" more lies.
I even carry the phone number with me for the company line, where they can to find distributors. Every pharmacy can at least order it for you. If they we're not bigots. If I call on the phone They just say no and no they can not order it.
This is besides all the crazy screw ups they have made. I've often wondered what people who couldn't read the scripts the doctor wrote, and didn't know better then to just follow what is written on the bottle. It's so dangerous it's scary.

Man I really have a lot of hostility towards pharmacists. I've called honestly 40-60 pharmacies, and I know of only 5, that don't discriminate against recovering addicts. 4 carry it all the time, but are far away form where I love and are little mom and pop places, and one Rite Aid close to my house and only one of the pharmacists will fill it.
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
samothe
Banned

I don't understand this. If your physician writes a legal prescription isn't the pharmacy legally obligated to fill it? And if they don't have it in stock can't any pharmacy order it? Any lawyers around? I find this unbelievable! Redundancy be damned, but would they refuse to fill a prescription for insulin? Or blood pressure medication? I can't believe it is legal... samothe
samothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
OhioMike

And my guy Harry always wonders why I try to kiss him when I see him!
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Smith

Hi samothe

One time the pharmacist had my script, told me to come in two days latter to pick it up. When I came two days latter that pharmacist was not there and the other pharmacist would not fill it or give it to me or what ever.
I even treated to file a claim with the office of civil rights at the us department of health and human services.
Because if they order anyone else's script, and fill others scripts, it would be discrimination against me for a medical condition to not fill mine, right. (Found here http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/ ) They receive Medicare or medical so they must be bound by this law.
Anyway it didn't phase them, I called them like 16 times each time trying to make their life miserable. Finally she said that they would fill it in 5 days. Because the insurance said it was to early, a lie again. I called my insurance company and they said it was fine, and it didn't matter anyway because it was a new script. (my sub doc only gives out new scripts anyway, no refills) I had some pills saved up, so I waited the 5 days and went in person. I was ready to talk with the cops, if I had to I felt justified, but if she didn't fill it she was going to wish she had. When I cam in she didn't say a word to me. Just gave me the script. When I told my sub doc he just said to come in and get a new script if it happens again. Needless to say I never went to that Walgreen's again. The weird thing was they filled my script before there, and they had just filled my wife's a day or so before and it was the same situation.

I hope I'm on topic here.

Dr.Smith (Not a MD, in case you were wondering)
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
samothe
Banned

Dr.Smith, what that pharmacy put you through is outrageous! I travel 90% of the time, but I try and make sure I always go to the same pharmacy because of how they treat me. When I first started treatment I went to a few of the "larger" chain type places and the service and attitude left a lot to be desired. No one should be treated like that Dr. Smith! If it were me I most likely would have sued them. That sort of treatment has no place in today's society. I bet they were ringing up scripts for pain meds like nothing in the mean time. Maybe the pharmacists need some sort of course! samothe
samothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
mikells43

that sucks! i go to a mom and pops place, i call 2 days ahead of time and they have my 90 subutex ready for me when i bring my scirpt in.
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
flounder202

I think this type of treatment is outrageous. My husband went to a little mom and pop place the pharm. had been filling his methadone script for years. He was so happy that my husband had gotten on sub that he went in an cut some of the prices he also helped with some of the other meds and took the time to personally talk to him when he was going thru pwd. I guess we are lucky maybe we should all stick to mom and pop pharm. they really seem to care more. when he was on methadone we caught 2 different walgreens shorting his scripts more than once. guess pharms can be "junkies" to.
flounder202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
MyChelle

I've only had 1 script for Sub so far, but had to call around to 7 pharms before I could found one that had it. A couple of pharms asked me what it was for and I said addiction to opiates and was quickly told they do not carry it nor could they order it. The rest, minus one, just did not have any in stock. Finally, Walmart had 30 but said they could only give me 6 and could order the rest. I guess they have more than me on Sub or why else couldn't I have the 30?
MyChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #13
mikells43

they say 25% of scripts are miscounted, eather shorted or given more. i kno a dude form anouther forum that brags about selling his subs, he gets 45 a month, his pharm gave him 110 accidently. he said im going to make a ton of money this month. one time i was going to help him out wiht my doctor(before i found out he was selling them), and he said thanks to u ill make 3 times as much selling them, i told him not likely cause i called my doctor allready adn if anyone comes in with ur address and location not to accept them in her prog, he never replyed lol.
Unread 12-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #14
Pearl

Hey there mikells! Thanks for a good story! I've lucked out with my pharmacist and the trend seems to be the Mom & Pop shops are the ones that give the better care and respect. My pharmacist in Chicago was actually more supportive and helpful than my doctor there! He is like family to me!

Elizabeth;}
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #15
Pearl

Oh, and, my pharmacist here has a really cool sign outside...it is a very large, old sign that says 'DRUGS', in neon and when he locks up, he parks his vet under the sign at night...it would make for a cool picture!
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 01:37 AM   #16
okie

Wow!
I have been using walgreens here in the panhandle of FL with no problems..
I have probably used 3 of them?over the past 2 yrs..never ever had anyone give me any problems with my script for sub..sometimes they will send me to one down the street if they cant fill the whole scrip..but never any attitude!
The walgreens local to me now is wonderful to me, I have to break up my scrip to be able to afford it and honestly never an issue..
I have read before that some chains and pharmicists have refused to fill birth control pills across the country..can you imagine? Its insane that they can refuse to fill any legal scrip..
Michelle
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 02:08 AM   #17
suboxone sam

Most pharmacists in Boston do not speak english as their first language so they just do what the computer tells them to do. they never offer any advice and never even talk to customers, Best way to deal with pharmacists is to make sure the computer is going to tell them to fill whatever you give them and do not talk to them about anything. They seem to have no interest in being involved with customers and only do if computer forces them to tell youo that you are to early or someting, so get it worked out with insurance company so they can make sure that computer will not reject your script.
pb
suboxone sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #18
jasel

I never got any trouble filling my scrip (at CVS). Even asked the pharmacist about precipitated WD.

But I did get dirty looks when I got a scrip filled for 170 Norco every 2 weeks...
jasel is offline   Reply With Quote