Addiction Survivors

Unread 12-13-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
MyChelle

Default Any other way to take Suboxone?

I cannot get these dang pills to dissolve under my tongue? I've tried for 11 days now and I end up having to swallow it. I've tried not smoking or drinking caff 30 mins prior, swishing hot water in my mouth and it is not working for me. Can you crush it into powder form and then put under tongue or even snort it? I don't care how at this point as I am sick of being in WDs. I'm on 16mgs.

Thanks - chelle
MyChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi MyChelle, you cannot snort it. Sublingually is the way the pills were made to be taken.
Have you tried cutting them into smaller pieces and taking not all of it at once, but a little at a time?

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
JStephen

Hello chelle, is it that your mouth is too dry? Snorting wont do you any good and is really unpleasent to say the least. If necessary, then I'm fairly certain that you can crush the pills and put the powder under your tongue. If it's caused by dry mouth, then you could try puting some sugar in your mouth with the pill if that'll help. Also you can move your tongue back and forth with the pill under your tongue you help it melt a little faster. That probably doesn't help the absorbtion rate, but it sounds like you just need to get the stuff in you.

I've read that if the pills are swallowed, then there's only up to about 50% absorbtion, but will probably be less. While under the tongue, it can very between 10% and 90% but more likely to be in the 60-80% area (fact check?? I'm not positive on those numbers). Buprenorphine is very effective when injected, if it comes down to it, you might be able to recieve the injections a few times until you're able to figure something out.

Hope you're able to find something that'll work

-Stephen
JStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
flowers

I read -- somewhere on this site's info pages -- that if swallowed the absorption of bupe is 20%.

Can you just put the pill under your tongue and sip a little water, let it get the pill a LITTLE wet and just hold it there. It WILL melt. I used to take a sip of coffee while melting three pills at a time (now I'm down to 1/4 pill at a time) and it made the pills melt real fast.

Or, like Stephen said, go ahead and crush the pill and put that under your tongue. But don't snort it!!It's those big blue veins under your tongue that absorb the bupe, I doubt (I hope) you haven't got veins like that in your nose! lol
flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
MyChelle

"I doubt (I hope) you haven't got veins like that in your nose! lol"

Sandra - hehe - not yet but you guys may have saved me from it by letting me know not to snort it. Thanks guys. You know how it feels to be in withdrawl, desperate times call for desperate measures. I'll crush it next time and see if that will work better under the tongue. GEEZ! I feel like the little addict who couldn't. lol
Unread 12-13-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
SpAcEdGeD

If you were to snort the pill it wouldn't be smart. Lets say you have a 8mg suboxone pill when you put that pill on a scale and weigh it it will weigh more then 8mg. That means you are mostly snorting the fillers and binders that keep the pills together.

Try crushing it and putting the powder under your tongue yes it's not the correct way to take the medication but since the pill just dissolves under your tongue the powder will do the same possibly quicker since it is a powder.
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 04:00 AM   #7
mikells43

u can take them rectally. just put the whole pill up there. i kno people who have cause they hate the taste. personally i dont want anything up my butt lol but u can
mikells43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
n3rve

I'm getting a mental image of someone snorting a line of TANG.
n3rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
mikells43

the binders give people severe sinus infections i talked to people on opiophile that have done it. its bad stuff to snort.
mikells43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
flowers

I'm getting a mental image of someone being inducted by a proctologist!
Unread 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
thankgod4sub

Something that my 1st Sub. Dr. told me to do was to have a piece of hard candy in my mouth whilr taking it. It kinda kills 2 birds with one stone - it helps your mouhth stay moist and it also masks the taste of the Sub. Not sure but I hopethis helps!

Jamie
thankgod4sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
MyChelle

My problem is solved. When I first had my script filled they only had 30 subs (my script is for 45). I'm out of town right now so I had the remainder transferred to a pharm here and picked them up yesterday. This morning I put one in and it melted in 8 mins. And...I could actually feel the WDs going away after about 20 mins or so. THANK GOD! Maybe the other pills were stale or something, who cares, all I know is they are working now! Thanks again to everyone for their advice. And I'm very thankful I didn't have to go the rectal route. lol
Unread 12-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
Sub-Zero

Great news!! I know one person who snorted it and the cornstarch binder served as food for a fungus in her nasal cavities. She had to get some of it cut out. She said nothing ever itched so bad, she would just start shaking her head when it happened and her eyes would tear up, DON'T ANYONE SNORT SUB.
Sub-
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #14
lookingup

You cannot just put a pill in your butt. There is not enough moisture there to dissolve it.
lookingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
flowers

a pill with an icecube chaser?
Unread 12-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #16
lookingup

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sandra

a pill with an icecube chaser?
Good lord, I should think there would be a more comfortable form of moisture available. ROTFLMAO
lookingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #17
mikejacks

Swallowing can cause SEVERE constipation I would not recom. plus you dont get the benefits. Yes you can crush them into powder then put under your tongue, DO NOT snort these pills though. I would break them up, like the other poster said if it keeps happening.
mikejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #18
Smith

Just so you know, I personally leave the pill under my tongue for 40 minutes. Are you sure you are not just being inpatient. Even if I crushed it I would still leave it there for at least 15 minutes. One thing I read is that the solutions of bupe. in alcohol are more rapidly absorbed then the tablets. So I guess in theory you could try to dissolve as much as possible of the tablet, some of the tablet may not be soluble, in vodka and then put the solution under your tongue. Assuming the alcohol is not a trigger for you. In the beginning I also had trouble holding the stuff under my tongue for that long, but with time I got accustom to it. I put it under my tongue and hold my tongue down, or sometimes move it back and forth once in a while. Then try to distract my self, if I just sit there, sometimes it seams unbearable.

Good luck you'll get there.

Dr.Smith (Not an MD)

Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #19
okie

instead of using liquor I have used mouthwash to melt, it has a high alcohol content. also kills the taste of the sub..just swish some around mouth and spit most out..then melt away..
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
jasel

Have you tried AquaDrops? Stoners use them to cure dry mouth. Suck on one for awhile before taking your Sub.

I'm finding the speed of my melt varies considerably. Sometimes it disappears in a few minutes, and others there is this blob of orange crud still sitting under my tongue a half hour later.

My suspicion is the more you taste the Sub,the less you are getting into your system sublingually. I really don't know where the best location is under your tongue. Anybody know? Near the tip? Near the center where that web is? In the back?

Again my suspicion is closer to the front, as it is recommended to tilt your head forward. But that may be so saliva stays in your mouth rather than sneaking around your tongue and down your throat.

Maybe there should be a sticky for Sub administration tips. For $5 a pill, I hate to waste even the smallest crumb...

James
jasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #21
Chuck

Well, I am just glad I do not have half of the problems you guys have had melting the Sub in your mouth not in your hands (sounds like an M&M comercial). Any way, I have had no problem with the taste, nor it had ever not melted under my tongue, dry mouth etc.

My only problem have been my own doctor who is a 12 Stepper (the only one my HMO takes) and treat me under the 12 Step protocol not the Science Evidence Base protocol. They should line up all those 12 Steps doctor and shot them. <uups! maybe not, or else I wouldn't have the doctor). Well, I can not control him, but I can control myself.

I just drink plenty of Prune Juice for contepation.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #22
MyChelle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jasel

My suspicion is the more you taste the Sub,the less you are getting into your system sublingually.
Again my suspicion is closer to the front, as it is recommended to tilt your head forward. But that may be so saliva stays in your mouth rather than sneaking around your tongue and down your throat.
I'm still having problems with this. It's not that my mouth is too dry; I think I produce too much saliva. My entire mouth fills up with it and I have the bitter taste and granules floating around. Eventually I have to swallow it. I did feel a little better on Wed but still not good. Atleast not in major wds.

I still have the aches and pains in my arms and legs, I haven't been sleeping either. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to double up my dose (i would have tried before now but he only gave me enough for 2 pills per day)? I went from a 14 day taper off of 120 mgs of methadone and when I got down to 28 mgs I jumped into the sub. I took my first dose of sub within 12 hrs of my last dose of meth. Do you guys think I may still be having wds from the meth and the sub just isn't strong enough to cover it? It's been two weeks now - I don't know - this sucks!
Unread 12-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #23
Douglas

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MyChelle

I cannot get these dang pills to dissolve under my tongue? I've tried for 11 days now and I end up having to swallow it. I've tried not smoking or drinking caff 30 mins prior, swishing hot water in my mouth and it is not working for me. Can you crush it into powder form and then put under tongue or even snort it? I don't care how at this point as I am sick of being in WDs. I'm on 16mgs.

Thanks - chelle
There is a Veternerian Company, that make a Buprenorphine spray for cats and other animals, but mainly it said cats. The just spray it in the cats mouth, and the drug starts to act.

I mean, you are the first one I've heard this from. For me they dissolve to fast under my tongue, so I put it between my cheek and gum. Of course there is other ways I won't mention (suppository?)

If I was faced with this problem, I'd crush a tab up, put it in a small spray bottle, add about 2ml of water and spray it around your mouth (under the tongue, between the cheek and gums) until it was gone.

Man, your mouth must be super dry. Under no circumstances snort it, it would cause the nalaxone to cross the Blood Brain Barrier in large concentrations. You want to feel good, not bad. Maybe it's a bad batch of Suboxone.

Also check the name on the prescription bottle and make sure they gave you the right medication.

Doug
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote