Addiction Survivors

Unread 08-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
beginagain

Default Hello & Update

Hi - some will remember me though I haven't been around in quite a while. I just wanted to say a quick hello as I stopped by to offer a new Sub patient a little support.

I finally made the leap off on July 8 of this year. I was on Sub a little over 15 months total. In the end I tapered down to crumbs and then crumbs every other day. It wasn't as bad as my brain told me it was going to be. I waited until I was away for 2 weeks on vacation and just stopped taking it one day. Besides some insomnia and sweating and a little anxiety I did fine. It was extremely mild and I think being out of my usual element helped alot. The cravings have not returned which was my second greatest fear about stopping - I have had a few "fleeting thoughts" but with a little work in a program of recovery and continued weekly therapy sessions I have handled those just fine. Mostly staying busy has been the key for me.

Just wanted to say a quick hello and I will try to stop by a little more often. I am grateful I found this place when I desperately needed information and support. This is a great "safe" place for people who have made the Sub choice and I continue to refer folks here when appropriate. Blessings to you all on your journey.
beginagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi beginagain!! I'm so happy to hear from you.
Congratulations! That's really fantastic news. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you had thought.

I'm really happy for you. Keep up the great work!

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
glimmertwin

Congratulations on your successful tapering off sub. I hope, if the day comes that I decide to taper off, that it will be easy for me. I do strongly believe in the power of thinking. I try to be positive about everything. I'm not perfect at it, but I know it works.

I'm really happy for you. I hope your life will be happy.

Sheryl
glimmertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
Mike

Beginagain,
I am so happy that you came back and posted!! Congratulations on your successful treatment!

Your post will go a long way at dispelling the myths about Suboxone treatment. It shows that when done right, some people can transition back to medication free life with minimal discomfort. My experience was similar to yours and I too found staying busy was helpful. In fact everyone I know who went through the treatment this way has been successful. The key is using the time on sub to make major permanent changes in your life as you did.

Thanks again for coming back and posting your success!!!

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Suture

Beginagain,
Thank you for coming back and posting! Your experience will help others who have been scared by myth and rumor. It shows when treating the brain disease of addiction with enough time and with a proven method it can work. I agree with you that staying busy helps tremendously. Part of healing is reconditioning the brain and teaching ourselves to respond and think differently than in an addictive sense. Please check in again when you can!!
S-
Suture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
flier1

Begin
Thank you Thank you Thank you, it really shows like Mike said when done correctly it can be done with little or no WD'S from the Suboxone, I am so happy for you and thank yo for posting cause it really is post like this that tells me when it is time to jump it can be done....I am currently on 2mgs and thinking maybe next week go to 1mg or try the 2mg every other day, like you said I guess my body will tell me what to do.

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
pedenter1

beginagain,

I guess we should change your name to beginagainagain! Being relatively new (5 months today), I am always grateful for those who take the time and come back to post their experiences, particularly when it comes to tapering.

I think as good as we all feel during treatment, "the big taper" looms in the back of our minds as something many of us are afraid of. To have people who have successfully completed the journey and take time our of their day to come back and let us know it can be done and it's not that bad, is a blessing for all of us.

Thank you for your post and I wish you nothing but success and happiness from here on out!

Best, Pat
pedenter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Mary

Hey beginagain! YOU DID IT!! Yay!! You go! It's great to 'see' you back around and letting us know. It's been a year and 3 months for me now. Time flies, doesn't it? Very cool that you're still doing the therapy gig. Soon enough those passing thoughts will stop. Sending a big beam hug! -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
flowers

Hi Beginagain,

Thank you for posting your success!! And congratulations!!

I hope you don't mind a few questions from a newbie--I have been on sub since 7/20/07. I am mainly concerned about depression when I finally taper down (still a long way off) to zero.
Can you tell me how your overall MOOD is? And your energy level? And, if you don't mind sharing, how much DOC before recovery?

I am especially concerned because at my highest use I was taking over 300 5 mg oxys a day--then I got off EVERYTHING for 3 1/2 yrs. I felt OK, but not great that whole time, in fact I got on Prozac and it helped some but I never really felt too good. I'm worried I totally fried my endorphin supply... I'm sorry I'm stealing your thread I am going to start a new topic with this.

Sandra A.
flowers is offline   Reply With Quote