Addiction Survivors

Unread 08-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
jwfk

Default I'm off it

i haven't written for a while. actually no on probably remembers me, but oh well. i just wanted to let everyone know that you can add me to the list of people who have successfully tapered off suboxone.

i wish to give thanks to my doctor who spent a long time talking to me. after our first conversation he figured out that i was very educated on suboxone before i even was inducted. he wrote the script and told me i could find the dose that worked for me. and that is what i did.

he at first suggested 16mg per day taken all at once. i did begin on that amount, but soon learned that it was too much. after the first week or so, i maintained on 4mg per day, all taken right after i woke up.

about two months into the 4mg per day, i just had a weird feeling that it was time to go down to 2mg per day, so i did. i noticed nothing. no withdrawal, no effects whatsoever. the same thing happened to me about a month ago. i was getting ready to take my 2mg and just then decided to go to 1mg. for about a week i stayed on 1mg per day. then spent about a week taking 1mg every other day. finally yesterday i knew i was done. i feel great. i feel the same as i did before this whole nightmare began.

i am proud of myself for taking the initial action of getting help. i knew that the pills i was taking were going to kill me in the quantities i used. there was a time i was chewing up 160mg of oxycontin per day. once that ran out i maintained on about 30 percocets per day. life was not fun anymore as i'm sure you are all familiar with.

i know that i have a lifetime ahead of me that is now going to be much easier that it could have been. i am an addict. being an active addict is hard work. it takes up most of your time and pretty much blanks out all feelings and emotions. you cannot participate in life when you're using. now i am free from that. it is just so much easier and happier now.

i have never sought counseling or support. no one knows i am an addict. i come to this board daily and consider it as my support. it really has helped me. i honestly owe my life to finding this website. i don't even remember how i found it in the first place. i am thankful for all of the people who post here often. i feel this site was the main tool in my recovery. i hate to think what life would be like without it.

so thank you to all. thank you to my doctor. i thank myself and my liver thanks me for stopping.

good luck to all of you, you're doing good work just being here and being part of this community.

please feel free to email me or respond. i do want to keep up with this site. it helps tremendously.

joe
jwfk is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jwfk For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-11-2013)
Unread 08-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
OhioMike

Joe,

Congratulations! Your sharing just continues to validate many things for me personally. Thank you for taking the time to share. Also please remember this, your success is a guide for others, so please, stick around.

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
glimmertwin

Congratulations to you, Joe. It sounds like your transition went very smoothly, I'm hoping for the same someday. I'm still taking my sub, 24mgs a day. I'm getting ready to go down to 20. I'm on this amount because it has worked very well for my depression. That's what I'm so afraid of, the depression coming back fullforce. I just can't afford that. But I'm willing to try to cut down.

AGain, I'm very happy for you, you have so much to be grateful for.

Sincerely,
Sheryl
glimmertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Joe, Of course I remember you. That is such great news! I'm very happy and proud of you.
You've actually given me more information for our chat topic tonight, which is tapering. Stop by if you'd like!

Thank you so much for sharing your successful taper. You've helped and given hope to more people than you know. I'm glad you'll still be around.
My best wishes to happy, healthy lifetime ahead.

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
pedenter1

jwfk,

I'm just celebrating the end of my 4th month on Sub, so I probably missed your beginning, but I'm sure glad to be here for you "ending". It is so good to hear another success story. You should be extremely proud of yourself.

I think a lot of us just starting and having read some horror stories about tapering are always inspired by a story like yours. And I think listening to you body is always the best (and most reliable) way to go. It sounds like you did just that and it worked well for you.

Congratulations again, and I'm so glad you will be sticking around. All of us "newbies" need all the advice we can get from those that have made the journey before us and make it a little easier to continue down the right road!

Best, Pat
pedenter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
mybestlife

Joe~ it is refreshing to hear a story as sucessful as yours.

WAY TO GO!!! Keep up the good fight and enjoy your new found freedom!
mybestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
TIM

Great job Joe, thanks for taking the time to post!!
Tim
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
flier1

Joe
You and the others that have tapered off succesfully tells me the is light at the other end of the tunnel..I myself am now down to 2mgs and am gonna try the every other day thing starting next week, but thank you for sharing it is what gets me to do that next step.

But I do agree with what you say about your body telling you when it is time to drop, mine does that and in 8 months I am down to 2 with no problems at all. Best of luck to you and please keep us updated on your progress.

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 01:38 AM   #9
barry

Keep up the great work!!!

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Barry
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
jwfk

Thank you all for the nice words and thoughts.

Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm still wondering why I never felt any withdrawal symptoms. Part of it I think is that I really believed there wouldn't be any. I spend/spent very little of my time even considering it. I didn't/don't have cravings, and I never did since my first dose. I know for sure that I never want to have to go through this whole experience again.

I still remember the first time I went through withdrawals. I was in Vegas with some friends and had completely run out of pills. The pure misery of that day will always stay with me. I know I don't have to get into the details, you all know how it feels.

One thing that I didn't mention in my post yesterday and meant to was the importance of staying very hydrated. I don't particularly care for drinking a lot of water. But I just made myself and continue to do so. 4 bottles a day minimum. It has made a world of difference and made me realize how important it is.

Sheryl, you had mentioned that you are worried about your depression...I have something to add that hopefully will help....The very beginning of me getting into trouble with opiates was due to lower back problems and surgeries that didn't go too well. Whether it was the constant pain, or depression itself, I was going through depression. So I began taking Lexapro 20mg. My doctor at the time thought the pain could be causing my mood to be constantly down.

The Lexapro didn't hurt, but I can't say for sure that it helped. One thing that I know does help, or at least helped me, is staying hydrated. I noticed this effect on my own and only later went online to see if there was any relationship between depression and hydration. Sure enough there is. So that is the one thing I did want to mention and let you all know how it helped me. It's an easy, inexpensive way to keep healthy and feel better.

I tapered down and off the Lexapro during my 4 and a half months taking Suboxone. It may not be medically sound advice to stop anti-depressants while also going through Suboxone therapy, but it's what I did.

Good luck to everyone, I'll continue to check in now and then, and I always read everything that is posted. If my story can help someone like others helped me, I will be pleased.

Joe
jwfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
Santa

You have really given me some hope that I can be free - off opiates - some day! thanks and good luck!!!
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #12
OhioMike

jwfk

USA
11 Posts
Posted - 08/03/2007 : 13:16:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for the nice words and thoughts.

Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm still wondering why I never felt any withdrawal symptoms. Part of it I think is that I really believed there wouldn't be any. I spend/spent very little of my time even considering it. I didn't/don't have cravings, and I never did since my first dose. I know for sure that I never want to have to go through this whole experience again.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Amen!

Frame of mind and determination mean a great deal, IMO. We can choose to make it an on going battle or we can choose to enjoy recovery. We can dwell on the negative or we can choose to stay positive and always find ways to flip the negative to a positive. Way to go Joe!

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote