Addiction Survivors

Unread 05-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
twhit58

Default HI ELVIS_can I take my ativan?

I read in one of your post that you are able to take lorazapan(sp)? Is this true? Because I usually take ativan but stopped because of the sub-thought I couldn't take it together.I will ask my doc but just wanted to know from you first?Thanks
twhit58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
SpAcEdGeD

Hi twit,

I am on xanax but it is prescribed by my sub doctor. You should definetly talk to you doctor and see what they have to say about it
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
SpAcEdGeD

Hi twit,

I am on xanax but it is prescribed by my sub doctor. You should definetly talk to you doctor and see what they have to say about it
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
RemissionRocks

depends on your doctor. mine says when people are on sub, they should not take any benzos unless they have no other available resources to control anxiety. if you have a heart problem or something then i wouldnt see any problem with it. but then again, its just ativan, shouldnt be that big of a deal...but u never know these days, with how doctors will react to that. it is a "mood altering substance" (yes i know i know, its just ativan, but still). Have you tried meditation, relaxation, deep breathing exercises, or guided imagry? If you feel as though you've exhausted all of your resources, then you may have no choice but to take the ativan.

I'm in a predicament right now myself with anxiety. My therapist keeps pushing .125mg klonopin wafers. I dont really want to become dependant on another drug (for those of you on Benzos, Dont take offense to this! i know some people have to take them and thats just how it is). My therapist wants me to take them as needed, not on a daily scheduled basis, to avoid tolerance and dependancy issues. I'm considering it but again, Leaving it as a last resort.
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
RemissionRocks

depends on your doctor. mine says when people are on sub, they should not take any benzos unless they have no other available resources to control anxiety. if you have a heart problem or something then i wouldnt see any problem with it. but then again, its just ativan, shouldnt be that big of a deal...but u never know these days, with how doctors will react to that. it is a "mood altering substance" (yes i know i know, its just ativan, but still). Have you tried meditation, relaxation, deep breathing exercises, or guided imagry? If you feel as though you've exhausted all of your resources, then you may have no choice but to take the ativan.

I'm in a predicament right now myself with anxiety. My therapist keeps pushing .125mg klonopin wafers. I dont really want to become dependant on another drug (for those of you on Benzos, Dont take offense to this! i know some people have to take them and thats just how it is). My therapist wants me to take them as needed, not on a daily scheduled basis, to avoid tolerance and dependancy issues. I'm considering it but again, Leaving it as a last resort.
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
elvis

it was part of the prog my dr has me on 1/2 during the day and antoher 1/2 if i feel anxious and 1 at night.....funny considering the amount of drugs i was abusing 3 weeks ago we are talking abot 2 laraxapans
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
elvis

it was part of the prog my dr has me on 1/2 during the day and antoher 1/2 if i feel anxious and 1 at night.....funny considering the amount of drugs i was abusing 3 weeks ago we are talking abot 2 laraxapans
Unread 05-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
pedenter1

Hi twhit58,

First, as always, check with your Dr. I am on Clonazepam for W/D's from Benzo's - took both Valium and Ativan (Lorazepam). However, getting off these meds can be serious if you have taken them for a long period of time - so please check with your Sub doctor - (can cause seizures). Here is a web site reqarding Benzo's and their effects, etc. http://benzo.org.uk/. It gives a lot of information reqarding the different ones, how long they stay in your body (half-life) etc. But as I recall, the Sub makes you tired, doesn't the Ativan do the same thing? On the other hand since you are going through so much right now *and* since you seem to think the Sub is not working as well as it did at first you might be going through too much right now.

And regarding that, I read your next post, and I'm sorry you aren't feeling any better - but after reading it, I looked up *all* of your posts and read through each and every one of them - and it's such a shame that all of this has hit you at once - your first posts were so positive and you felt so good and that "you had your life back" - maybe you should re-read them too, try and remember that you are dealing with a lot right now - and (injuries) sometimes "meld" together - your foot is in a cast, so you tend to compensate by walking differently, which then makes your back act up, which, depending on where - could affect all the muscles in your back to tense up (including between your shoulder blades) and boom you have this annoying constant headache - probably added to by stress. jfriend33 had some good suggestions - relaxation, deep breathing, guided imagry are all good things to try. Remember, it won't last forever, even though I know it probably feels that way right now.

Pat
pedenter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
pedenter1

Hi twhit58,

First, as always, check with your Dr. I am on Clonazepam for W/D's from Benzo's - took both Valium and Ativan (Lorazepam). However, getting off these meds can be serious if you have taken them for a long period of time - so please check with your Sub doctor - (can cause seizures). Here is a web site reqarding Benzo's and their effects, etc. http://benzo.org.uk/. It gives a lot of information reqarding the different ones, how long they stay in your body (half-life) etc. But as I recall, the Sub makes you tired, doesn't the Ativan do the same thing? On the other hand since you are going through so much right now *and* since you seem to think the Sub is not working as well as it did at first you might be going through too much right now.

And regarding that, I read your next post, and I'm sorry you aren't feeling any better - but after reading it, I looked up *all* of your posts and read through each and every one of them - and it's such a shame that all of this has hit you at once - your first posts were so positive and you felt so good and that "you had your life back" - maybe you should re-read them too, try and remember that you are dealing with a lot right now - and (injuries) sometimes "meld" together - your foot is in a cast, so you tend to compensate by walking differently, which then makes your back act up, which, depending on where - could affect all the muscles in your back to tense up (including between your shoulder blades) and boom you have this annoying constant headache - probably added to by stress. jfriend33 had some good suggestions - relaxation, deep breathing, guided imagry are all good things to try. Remember, it won't last forever, even though I know it probably feels that way right now.

Pat
pedenter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
paul1270

Pedenter, I have been on valium for over 10 years for anxiety from Post traumatic stress disorder. My dosage is 5mg 3xday as needed. I usually take 1 dose and leave it like that, certain situations bring on the need for me to take the med, like war stories, scenes from the current war or when I have nightmares of my military experiences during the early 70's other than that I try to keep my dose as low as I can. When I was on sub my doctor put great emphasis on me taking as small amount as possible and I did so.
paul1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
elvis

yes...the doc prescribed...currently 1mg a day
Unread 05-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
baddaddy

i have lorazapam also. i am feeling depressed somewhat. is it for depression? was prescribed this from doc before i got sub.
baddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
paul1270

baddaddy, does the lorzapam make you tired or does it help you relax ??/Paul
paul1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
baddaddy

i am off it now. it was more relaxing. i am taking zoloft now. i know. complete thing. the loraz was given earlier and it seemed to help but i needed help with the depression actually. but it did calm me down or ease me.
baddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
TwitThis

twhit58,

Luckily for you, all the different benzos are inter-changable. Make sure to look up the strength of each in comparison to each other because xanax, lorazepam, and ativan have different dosages. Benzos are incredicly powerful though, and make me feel like a zombie when awake and on them. Lots of people use ativan as a sleep aid, but I actually use it for anxiety issues. Talk to your doctor about possible addictive effects and try not to take benzodiazepines for an extended period of time. That is because the side effects of Lorazepam such as addiction will become less likely.
TwitThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
gotoffmdone

My Sub Dr rx's me generic TEX(which does very little compared to brandname but its all I can afford.

He also gives me Tramadol and Valium. I was surprised he offered me the Tramadol. All I know about that drug is what I have heard on this website. In Tenn Tramadol is not even considered a controlled drug like it is in other states. And in the past if it did not have a CII or CIII on the bottle I was not the least bit interested in it.

The goal with this medication, i.e., the Bupe, 2400mgs of Motrin, Valium for muscle spasms and the Tramdo for pain is to try and prolong the onset of pain, on the days I umpire. Once the pain come on it does so with a vengeance and nothing helps, short of 400mgs of Methadone. But that is not a trade off I am willing to make although there are times I wish I had a Gatorade a bottle full of Methadone to sip on during the day. It is the only thing that has masked my pain. Unfortunately surgery is the only permanent solution byt w/o insurance it is the last of my options.

I was a bit surprised he offered me the Tramadol as I had assumed the Bupe would serve as a blocker but he assure me it should work well with the Bupe. He made the same offer a year ago and I turned it down. I had assumed i would be wasting my money. I take all the above meds an hour prior to my first game and about 6-8 hours later. When the pain comes on sitting hurts as bad a standing so taking a break is no help. I just have to leave and go home to lie down for a long time.

It makes it tough when I am hundred's of miles from home. The trip is as uncomfortable as anything. The pain feels like someone with heavy grade sandpaper is rubbing it up and down my spine. I wish I had the wherewithall to have surgery but I can't and my back is just getting worse.

Bottom lime I have never had trouble with taking Sub and a benzo and both Sub Drs I have had within the past 6 years have prescribed them. The first one gave me Temazepam(Restoril) for sleep and my present Dr prescribes the Valium for muscle spasms. I take the Tramadol and the Valium twice a day. As hard as Motrin can be on my kidneys. I take way more of that than I should but only on the days I umpire.

Different Drs are different. If you were to mention a benzo to some Sub Drs they would look at you as if you had horns growing out of your heads. It all depends on the Dr, how long you have been seeing them, how well the trust you and the reason they feel you need the drug. Some Drs are there to help in anyway they can. Some feel that giving you Sub abd Sub alone is doing their job and giving you what you paid for. It also depends on whether they feel you are abusing the meds as well. I have never asked for an increase or to get my meds early.

Sometimes I an not so sure Drs pay close attention to details. In June we were given 6 weeks worth of meds because we were told the Dr wasn't going to be gone for 6 weeks. At least Teusday's visits I never looked at the script until the pharmacist asked me if i wanted all of my meds or just 30 days worth at once with the others put on hold. That is when I asked how many he wrote it for. Apparrantly the nurse goes ahead and prints out the scripts on the computer in the exam room and the DR just signs them. He was able to sent the Toradol in electronically so i got a 4 week supply of that. But with regard to the Bupe, Valium and the Ambien he just signed the scripts the nurse printed out. No one realized that he just game me the same amount as the month he was going to be gone beyond the 30 day period. Therefore I was given a nother 6 weeks supply but upon leavinhg my appt was made for 4 weeks out. That shhould work out just fine. Now I can see him every six weeks instaed of every four. So that should mean paying for two months woth of office visits every three months. That is the closest to a refill I will ever get.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote