Addiction Survivors

Unread 01-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
jillybean

Default Is Subutex/Suboxone safe to take while Pregnant?

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been on Suboxone since May of 2006. I take 8mgs daily (split in half 4 mg twice a day) I recently found out I was pregnant. I am currently 11 weeks pregnant and have switched from Suboxone to Subutex at least for the 1st trimester. I don't want to go off of it. The reason I started taking Vicodins in the first place was because it was the only thing that relieved my unrelenting depression.[}] Does anybody have any experience with taking Bup while pregnant and how did it turn out. I've read a lot of women's stories on this and so far have not heard anything that would make me want to get off the Bup Thanks for any info or stories good or bad you can share.
jillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 01:22 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jillybean, welcome and congratulations!!
Here's something that I thought you'd like to read. It's a post by the mother of a healthy 7-month old (at the time of the post) who took bupe through her preganancy.
http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1519

Here's another link to a topic that has a link to a study in it.
http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=791

Again, congratulations and let us know how you're doing!!

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
SpAcEdGeD

Congrats with your pregnancy

tom
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
opiatedeficient

This is a question I specifically asked my doctor about because although I'm not pregnant and don't plan on becoming pregnant any time within the next year, it is certainly on my SO's radar screen for the next few years.

My doc said he recommends either coming completely off of sub before becoming pregnant, or staying on the whole way through. In other words, if you're already on it, don't stop now that you are pregnant as the effects of stopping can be more harmful to the fetus than the effects of continuing with your daily dose.

He maintained that staying on suboxone while pregnant would be perfectly healthy for the mother and baby.

For me personally, I have my concerns about it and at this point I would choose to come off of suboxone before getting pregnant. I worry about having children as it is, as I'm terrified of passing on a genetic load of depression and probable "opiate deficiency"/addiction. My worries are that by exposing the developing brain to external opiates even like bupe, the brain would then be less likely to produce/absorb natural endorphins. If the theory is that by taking drugs we have somehow messed with our endogenous opiate systems enough so that they may never recover and that's why long-term bupe is sometimes appropriate, I can't help but wonder why that wouldn't apply to the fetal, developing brain as well.

But, as I said before and as Nancy posted, plenty of doctors say it's OK. And unfortunately, while we now have at least some anecdotes of babies being born while their mothers were on sub and at least not having gone through any withdrawals, we won't have research about how these kids develop for years and years. My greatest concern about children is that I'll have a child who is like me.

Although in that case, perhaps I should just put them on sub from conception on and possibly have them avoid this whole mess from the get-go.
opiatedeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
jillybean

Thanks everybody for their responses. I already have a 27 month old daughter who is the joy of my life. While I was pregnant with her I was taking Zoloft for depression. I don't know if that's the reason, or that she takes after her father, but she is the happiest toddler around and has always been like that. I worry too that she may become depressed later in life because she may have a predisposition towards it since it runs in my family. It's also the nature vs. nurture thing. While I didn't have a good childhood, I'll do everything to make sure my kids do. Which also has a lot to do with causing depression.
jillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
jenn

Hi jillybean,
Congrats on the good news. I am going into my 7th month of pregnancy and also take subutex. Was taking suboxone, but apparently naloxone may cause birth defects. I have done alot of research b/c like you I just want to know my baby will be fine. The scariest thing I found was that there is a 40% chance of the baby experiencing Neonatal Abstinance Syndrome. However, the NAS for a baby exposed to bupe is not nearly as severe as it would be for Methadone, which most consider to be the "gold standard" for treating opiate addiction during pregnancy. My clinic doctor has been a great support through my pregnancy and has assured me that suboxone alone wl not arm the baby. I was taking zolof and remeron when I found out I was pregnant and b/c of the high dose of both my doctor increased my subutex to 12mg daily to be taken 3 times per day, in an attempt to keep the depression at bay. After a while the 12mg dose really was too high a dose, so when I started my 2nd trimester I began to taper. According to my doctor and everything else I read if you do need to lower your dose, it is safest in th 2nd trimester.
Women have been having babies while on methadone for a very long time, and I have not heard or read anything that was upsetting.
jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
dorylynn

I just posted something similar to this, I have been on subutex for almost 6months and just found out today that I am pregnant. My problem is that how do i find a doctor to treat me while pregnant? Any one here have a website that you can find an OBgyn who will see me since I am taking subutex. I didn''t have a clue that I was pregnant until my boobs starting growing out of no where cuz I just had what I thought was a period two weeks ago. Short, minimal blood, but I know I am pregnant now so what do I do? My sis in law was using opiates for the 1st 3 month b4 we found out she was using, she found a doctor who put her on subutex and my nephew is fine, but how bad is it for the baby for me to get off the subutex or is it better to stay on it for the safety of the baby?
Please help and congrats jelly on the baby!
Oh, and don't let any doctor tell you that methadone is safer than subutex, just because subutex doenst have tons of medical science to back it up doesnt' make methadone a better choice. I saw the methadone babies at the hospital and they were screaming and crying from withdrawl, the subutex babies, they were just sleeping. I am still concerned though.
dorylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
jenn

Dorylynn,
You may ask your clinic doctor if they could recommend an OBGYN to work with. I went to 3 doctors before I found one who I can work with. Even this one doesn't seem thrilled but at least he didn't make any stupid remarks.
From everything I have learned from my doctor and read, discontinuing treatment now puts you at risk for miscarraige. I don't know how long you were addicted to opiates, but why risk fighting a relapse??? I tapered off suboxone after 6 months and relapsed a year or so back. As much love as a mother has for a baby, addiction is a serious disease. I wouldn't take any chances.
Did your nephew suffer any withdraw? Even though I know I am doing what is in my babies best interest, I pray he won't experience any discomfort.
jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #9
dorylynn

No my nephew didn't suffer any withdrawl, as a matter of fact, he was the only baby in the drug addicted baby area who wasnt' screaming his head off. Everything about him is normal and he is progressing perfectly. She used opiates for the whole 1st trimester, then we found out what she was doing and we got her an OBGYN who specializes in opiate addiction and pregnancy, he was the 1st doctor to deliver a subutex baby, and they all have been fine so far. SO even though there is not a lot of information on subutex and pregnancy, I believe it is the best thing, considering stopping could cause a miscarriage and methadone just brings the baby out going through withdrawl. I am just hopign that the baby is okay, I had a relapse recently adn I would ahve never did it had I knew. But it happend and I can't change that, all I can do is pray that it is okay and now that I know, I will be taking very good care of myself. My sis in law was started on 16mg of subutex and had it throughout the whole pregnancy, I am only on 2-4mg, depending how I am feeling. I was an addict of oxicontins for 3years, doing about 5-80mg pills a day up until about 6months ago. I tried the suboxone 1st but it caused swelling in my brain, so the doc told me that it is one of thos rare but serious side effects so I had to go to subutex and I am glad I did, I know that the naloxone in suboxone is toxic and causes birth defects. So I'll be back to talk more about the whole thing. Don't worry too much that is not good either, I know if you are taking subutex, it will be alright, I have faith in god that he gave us this medication to save our lives. If your doctor has you on 16mg a day, the baby is really only getting about 2mg of it, so we will keep talking and the more I learn from the doctor, the more I will let you know. I really didint' want to see the same doctor as my sis, but I might have to because no one here in my town will even touch me. I'm already high risk for other reasons, but i have two beautiful babies now, well not babies, 8yr and 12 yr old, so hopefully god will bless me with just a healthy baby. YOu too! We will talk more. GOOD LUCK!
Tomorrow I will be on the hunt for a doctor who will accept me.
I see my regular doc on thrusday so hopefully it is all good news.
Wish me luck!
dorylynn is offline   Reply With Quote