Addiction Survivors

Unread 10-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
josie

Default Bupe in Wax Squares

Someone posted on another board about receiving suboxone in wax squares. I know that suboxone and subutex are the brand names and that it is not distributed in that manner. Is this wax square formulation actually a bupe that is being compounded by some pharmacies? If so would it be considered a generic form of the medication and actually be less expensive? Also would this be infringing on RB's rights to suboxone/subutex?
This is what was posted:

"Hi, I got it filled at a pharmacy. The prescription was written suboxone 3 8/32mg. What I got was 3 cubes etched into 4 equal parts. He had me take it as 1/8 morning 1/16 noon 1/8 evening. That comes out to 10mg a day. I was still feeling a lot of the withdrawal pains and tried to get a hold of him but haven't heard back yet. I went ahead and I am taking 1/8 1/8 1/8."
josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Josie, that's addressed in the following:

CSAT Director Advices Physicians of Concerns Regarding Buprenorphine
In the interest of patient safety and public health, Dr. Clark addresses concerns on

http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/Comp...renorphine.pdf

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
josie

Thanks Nancy.
Unread 10-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
OpioidsGotMe

Hi Josie,

I thought I would follow you over here lol.I was just wondering if anyone else get thier suboxone this way? I'm assumming it is correct for the fact that I'm feeling ok. Just for some reason I wish I would find atleast one more person getting suboxone this way.
OpioidsGotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
deniese

Opiates got me,
Hello, and welcome. I wanted to ask how these wax squares are used? Do they disolve like the pills, under ones toungue, or what?, just curious. I am happy to hear that sub is working for you.

Rhank you,
Deniese
deniese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
OpioidsGotMe

Hi Deniese,

Yes, they are taken the same way, placed and dissolved under the tongue. The first dose I got in the doctors office was the peach colored pill, like I see if I google images of suboxone. The suboxone comes in purple waxy cubes about 1/2 square and is etch in 1/4's. Each 1/4 being 8mg. I take it 3 times a day 4mg each time. The purple cubes taste about the same as what I had in the office the first day, real bitter. I'm glad that Josie told me about this website. Everyone seems real friendly and willing to help. Thanks
OpioidsGotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
MattV

So if I'm reading that link properly, they're not allowed to do this? Can the pharmacy get in some sort of trouble if they do?

Matt
A Life Transformed
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 12:48 AM   #8
Suture

Matt,
I think the pharmacy is breaking the law but IàƒÂ‚‚Âà ƒÂ‚’m not sure. If the prescription is for Suboxone or Subutex, those are the only medications approved to treat opioid dependence and if the pharmacy is giving out something else, thatÃà‚‚Â ’s illegal.

If the doctor wrote the script for generic bupe then its his fault because generic bupe is not approved for treating opioid dependence.
S-
Suture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 12:58 AM   #9
TIM

Yes it is illegal. It is no different, by law, than if the doctor prescribed Vicodin for addiction treatment. The only medications a doctor can prescribe in office for opioid dependence are Suboxone and Subutex. The pharmacies cannot make substitutions either because there are no other approved drugs to substitute. Many pharmacies and some docs are unaware of the unusually strict laws that concern treatment for opioid dependence.
Tim
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
kaye

So there is a generic bup but it's not approved to treat opiate addiction? Or there is a generic bup that's basically a bootleg medication? kaye
kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
angel

Is that pharmacy compounding them then??? Is that pharmacy part of the actual dr.'s office I wonder or just a regular pharmacy? Angel
angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
angel

Oh, and I remember a post here a while back about wax squares. I am going to go see if it is in the archives somewhere. Angel
Unread 10-28-2006, 07:48 PM   #13
NancyB
Administrator

Kaye, there is liquid buprenorphine, but it's for analgesia only, as is Buprenex. The only two medications approved to be prescribed in an office-based setting for opiate addiction are Suboxone and Subutex.
Hope that helps.

Nancy
Unread 10-28-2006, 07:53 PM   #14
TIM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kaye

So there is a generic bup but it's not approved to treat opiate addiction? Or there is a generic bup that's basically a bootleg medication? kaye
Yes, a generic bupe that has been used to treat pain. The patent on buprenorphine has long since expired. In injectable form it is still used for pain, mostly in hospitals. Only Suboxone and Subutex have been approved for the treatment of opioid dependence, using any other form of bupe for that purpose would be illegal. Some pharmacies still do it. I donÃà‚ ƒÂƒÃ‚‚’t know if they are aware it is against the law.
Tim
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
angel

I just found that topic. It was started by Maureen. In regards to her daughter. Her daughter was also given the squares. I remember that at that time, I was confused about it. It could be something for that same area? Same pharmacy? Same dr.? Not sure.

Maureen did some research and found a place that made them, but stated she got the squares directly from her dr. now that I am re-reading it.

Here is the topic:

http://naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOP...rchTerms=wax++

Unread 10-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #16
Badboyz

Thats were my Dr.is at Mobile ALabama.I wonder If I could get them.If there cheaper because my meds Alone cost me $420 A month.
If anyone wants to call that pharmacy to ask them about this the # is 251-478-0758. (Applied Pharmacy Service)
BADBOYZ4LIFE
Badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #17
angel

Keep us posted. I am not sure what the deal is. I just remembered about that topic because it was something I hadn't heard of before. When Maureen had said that her daughter was issued the squares, I was like "squares"? Glad I was able to dig it up. Angel
Unread 10-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #18
snipes

Yeah, This is actually the first Ive heard of the "squares" ... Its very intersting to me... It does bother me that there could be a cheaper way for all of us to recieve our bupe and by law we cant.... really bothers me... some people cant afford these crazy suboxone/subutex prices... and im sure the squares are most likely cheaper...

Tim
snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Just remember the squares are not FDA approved.

CSAT Director Advices Physicians of Concerns Regarding Buprenorphine
In the interest of patient safety and public health, Dr. Clark addresses concerns on

http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/Comp...renorphine.pdf

Unread 10-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #20
Badboyz

was this person in mobile Al. ? I'm going to ask my Dr.next time I go.My Dr. dont know s*** about Sub. hate to say that but its true.Every time I go I have to tell him about the resurch & info that I've found out.He dont know that I no another persons that he treats,and I'll tell him things about sub then he goes and tells my friend the same stuff I tell him.Its kinda funny
BADBOYZ4LIFE
Unread 10-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #21
kaye

Nancy, So can we compare this to like the medication Ambien that is supposed to go generic around the first of the year........and now the pharmaceutical companies are touting Ambien CR so they can keep charging mega bucks for it? kaye

kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 10:40 PM   #22
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Kaye, No. These compounded wax squares should not be sold as Suboxone or Subutex, and nothing except for Suboxone or Subutex can be prescribed by a physician for opiate addiction. So, if the pharmacy is making them, their illegally replacing the prescription with something that is not a generic form. Also, if a physician is writing it that way for opiate addiction, that is illegal also.
Did that make sense?
Nancy
Unread 10-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #23
Badboyz

Nancy look at it my way,no matter what form that I get bup. as long as it is bup.it should be ok.I just wish I could get it A little cheapper thats all.I dont care if its A orange pill are wax I'm just trying to save money
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:08 PM   #24
NancyB
Administrator

Right, I understand. But you can't ask them to do that. It's illegal.
Check out this thread and see if either of these will help.

http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1302

Nancy
Unread 10-29-2006, 01:06 AM   #25
josie

I believe that someone had posted that the savings were not significant. The only person that is probably benefiting form doing this is probably the pharmacy; as they are going around dispensing the more expensive trade name medication and using generic bupe. They are apparently not passing the savings onto the customer, but as Nancy says it is illegal anyway
I believe that this kind of illegal activity on the part of doctors or pharmacies will only potentially negatively impact bupe treatment in general which surely none of us want.
~josie