Addiction Survivors

Unread 09-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
emma4484

Default I am living proof: Off sub

Hello everyone, AS I PROMISED TIM ,I'm back to share my tapering experience. As of today, I have been off sub for 2 weeks AND I feel GREAT! My doctor had said in the begining, if you taper right and jump at 2 mgs, ( I started at 32 ) I would feel NO withdrawl, and he was right. I just want to give hope to all of you that are agonizing over the thought of being completley off subutex. YOU WILL BE OKAY! Staying at 2 mgs forever is like holding on to the lifejacket, you just don't want to let go, of the medicine, of the whole way of thinking, of feeling in the safety zone. Before I continue, I would like to clearly outline my taper, as it was completley succesfull for me.

MONTH 1- 16mg in AM 8mg pm
MONTH 2-4 SAME
MONTH 5- 8mg am 8 mg pm
MONTH 6-8mg ( can be split and taken at different times, but best to completley eliminate 1 dose altogether )
MONTH 7- First week, 6 mgs a day, second week 4mgs a day, 3rd and 4th week 2mgs a day.
MONTH 8-OFF SUB FOR GOOD!!!!

I would like to say that without sub I could have never learned to live clean. But to get off drugs and medication you will absolutley need WILLPOWER and DESIRE to live clean. My doctor prescribed me 1mg clozepam in case I experienced restlessness or disomfort, I only used one on the first two nights to ensure I could sleep. Of course, you will ALWAYS be an addict, there will always be temptation and that mental craving that you will have to live with for the rest of your life. I went to my first ever NA meeting last night, I can't tell you how nervous I was, but it was such an uplifting experience to be around people who totally understand, support, and don't judge you. I reccomend if you are having a hard time staying clean after getting off sub because of cravings or otherwise, try NA. I am also seeking counseling to seek the true root of my addiction, as I have been depressed most my life and depression and addiction go hand in hand, You must face your addiction head on, with all your strength, and battle it to the death. DON'T be afraid to ask for help. The best thing I did in going off the last 2mg of sub was to have a positive attitude and instead of dreading it look forward to it as a new chapter in your life. Don't think you are going to withdrawl or feel miserable, at 2mgs it IS mind over matter. PAWS is a experience you have when going off DRUGS such as heroin or opiates, NOT sub. The point of sub is that it gets your brain working and producing the right chemicals, it is fixing you so you can eventually be in a better place, as before the drugs had made your brain stop producing chemicals it needs to naturally be happy. Simply put, YOU DO NOT GET PAWS FROM SUB. And to all that are abusing sub, you are A) taking the place of someone who wants to get better and B) You are still living the life of an addict so what is the point?

I just want to send a message of CELEBRATION, and HAPPINESS and most importantly SUCCESS! I have succeded in my treatment and am now celebrating two weeks with no sub, life is a good thing. I never thought I could go off sub, but I did and you can without PROBLEMS or WITHDRAWLS if you taper correctly. I just want to wish everyone luck and support. GOOD BYE AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL! peace and love

P.S. THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE HELPED AND SUPPORTED ME, NANCYB AND TIM ESPECIALLY, SUPPORT IS SOOOO IMPORTANT IN RECOVERY, DON'T GO IT ALONE!
3 Users Say Thank You to emma4484 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-20-2010), Thank You (02-12-2012), Thank You (12-09-2013)
Unread 09-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
Caroline

Emma, CONGRATULATIONS! Very happy to hear your report.
Warmest wishes, Caroline
Unread 09-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
angel

CONGRATS! THAT IS AWESOME! THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!

Nancy, would you please, please, please, make this a sticky? I would like to be able to refer back to this over and over again for encouragement and I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle. I think that taper plan is awesome and I would like to use it as a guide. I think it will also help others get rid of their fears about jumping off. There are so many horror stories on the internet and for me, I cannot get them out of my head. Anyway, seeing this every day will remind me that I have a chance of having the same success when I jump off.

Peace.
One User Says Thank You to angel For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-12-2012)
Unread 09-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

emma! I am so overjoyed for you! Thank YOU so much for coming back and posting for us.
I wish you all the best the life has to offer. And if you'd like to drop me a line to update me once in a while, I'd love it.

Nancy

(I will make this a sticky in a few days after people see here first.)
Unread 09-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
angel

Thanks Nancy. I appreciate it greatly. What an inspiration. For me I feel a sense of relief hearing Emma's story. I really needed to see it and it gives me hope. Peace.
Unread 09-08-2006, 03:09 AM   #6
ryannnn65

I beleive mind over matter is a way bigger factor than we imagine, and your attitude clearly is helping you. Good luck, and promise yourself not to go back no matter what.
Unread 09-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
glimmertwin

Emma -

Big congrats to you. It is so good to read something other than a horror story about tapering off. I'm very happy for you and I wish you the best of luck in your life without drugs.

Sheryl
Unread 09-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
Mary

emma4484, congratulations! And here's to a great future! Beams - Mary
Unread 09-09-2006, 01:43 AM   #9
Bassdad

Emma,
CONGRATS....That is AWESOME.May you have success in ALL that you do. Thank you very much for posting this for all of us to see for ourselves. It can be done, YOU DID IT!!!!!! RIGHT ON !!!!!!!

Sincerly, Bassdad-Day 149 on bup Treatment-
Unread 09-09-2006, 05:50 AM   #10
easc

Emma,
Congratulations!Thanks for the revisit.More people need need to come back like you and share their success stories.

Cheers

-E
Unread 09-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #11
OhioMike

Emma .................... WAY TO GO!

You have taken your recovery to a place you wanted it to go and you seem very happy. We all should be so blessed. I am very happy for you!

I think you will agree that any Sub taper should be slow, but STEADY. And one should move at a pace according to how their body is directing them. I understand your life jacket comment and sure do agree with it. If a person has decided to taper then they need to do just that. I feel if done properly it can be achieved w/o the hell of traditional detox or jumping off. However, YES, it is hard work and we must make ourselves ready for the mental stuff too!

Thank you so much for sharing your story and GREAT news, that is what makes this site so valuable to those entering recovery and in recovery.

God Bless you, Mike
Unread 09-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #12
leesie

Dear Emma,

Congradulations!! Can you believe how great you feel as compared to when you were abusing drugs? Isn't it wonderful??? Just listen to yourself, could you have imagined you would be saying those words a year ago, two years ago? Records what you wrote so when you feel the urge or are down and out you can read what you wrote to us to remind yourself how wonderful life is when you are clean!!! Those days will come, and you need all the support you can get. I have found that by journaling and reading back when I felt good helped me get thru the days that I thought I wanted to use, just for one day.

This is truly a miracle, this suboxone, and I applaud your success and happiness.

Kindest regards,

Leesie
Unread 09-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
easc

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by emma4484
The best thing I did in going off the last 2mg of sub was to have a positive attitude and instead of dreading it look forward to it as a new chapter in your life. Don't think you are going to withdrawl or feel miserable, at 2mgs it IS mind over matter.
Emma,I am truly happy this worked for you.To all who may read this,please bare in mind that we are all different.In my opinion you jumping at 2mgs is an exceptional risk.I base that on the many many documented cases of people who have done that to less than desirable to disastrous results.This is not to take away from your successs whatsoever Emma.Just want to caution folks that this may or may not be their result.

For example: http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1666

http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1420

Congrats again Emma and thanks again for posting.

EASC
Unread 09-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
Mike

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by emma4484

Hello everyone, AS I PROMISED TIM ,I'm back to share my tapering experience. As of today, I have been off sub for 2 weeks AND I feel GREAT! My doctor had said in the begining, if you taper right and jump at 2 mgs, ( I started at 32 ) I would feel NO withdrawl, and he was right. I just want to give hope to all of you that are agonizing over the thought of being completley off subutex. YOU WILL BE OKAY! Staying at 2 mgs forever is like holding on to the lifejacket, you just don't want to let go, of the medicine, of the whole way of thinking, of feeling in the safety zone. Before I continue, I would like to clearly outline my taper, as it was completley succesfull for me......
This supports the idea that the PAWS some people experience is the result of the brain changes caused by the original addiction more than the sub. Taking sub is like hitting the pause button on your addiction. If you have a severe addiction then you might have PAWS when you taper off, especially if you taper fast or after a short time. If you've had a relatively low level of dependence then jumping off at even 2mgs may not be that bad. This explain why some people have different experiences. The sub doesn't make your dependence any worse it just puts it on hold until you are ready to taper. For me, since I had a high level of dependence I had to stay on sub a long time and had to do a slow taper, but that worked well for me. Congrats emma!!
Unread 09-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #15
angel

I just wanted to say to Emma again, thank you. I read this topic over and over again, as I want to continue to remind myself that I have just as much chance as you to complete a proper taper and be completely opiate free for the 1st time in over a decade. I especially like the "lifejacket" comment.

Peace.
Unread 09-13-2006, 03:20 AM   #16
emma4484

HI EVERYONE! IT'S BEEN ALMOST A WEEK SINCE MY LAST POST, AND I JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE FOR THE POSITIVE COMMENTS AND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT. I CAN NEVER IMAGINE GOING BACK TO MY OLD LIFE AGAIN OR BACK TO THE TIMES OF BEING SICK, IT WONT HAPPEN! I AM AND WILL REMAIN FREE! FOR ONCE IN SOOOO MANY YEARS I FEEL LIKE I AM ACTUALLY MYSELF, I AM HAPPY AND HEALTHY, AND MY MOOD HAS GOTTEN SO MUCH BETTER. I ALSO JUST WANTED TO ADD A LITTLE TIP: TO AVOID LACK OF ENERGY, TIRED FEELINGS, THE DAY BEFORE YOU COMPLETLEY TAPER START THIS REGIMINE, 1 MULTI VITAMIN, 1 NIACIN ( PREFEREBLY FLUSH FREE ) THESE CAN BE FOUND AT YOUR LOCAL DRUG STORE, AND 1 TYROSINE OR L-TYROSINE, WHICH I FOUND AT GNC. TAKE 1 OF EACH A DAY FOR A WEEK OR TWO FOLLOWING YOUR FINAL DETOX AND YOU SHOULDN'T FEEL LETHARGIC OR UNENERGETIC. THAT IS MY EXPERIENCE ANYWAY, THESE HELP WITH ENERGY, DETOXIFICATION, AND REBUILDING SEROTONIN AND OTHER MAJOR BRAIN CHEMICALS. AGAIN GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE, I THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND KIND WORDS, YOU CAN ALL DO THIS!!!!!! I AM FINALLY FREE, I FEEL ALIVE AGAIN. THANK GOD, AND GOD BLESS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME WITH QUESTIONS OR IF YOU JUST NEED SUPPORT!!!!!!
Unread 09-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #17
tina

Emma,

How incredibly awesome. Thank you for sharing your success. One day at a time....I'm curious if you are involved in any "celebrate recovery" or 12 step meetings for continued support? I have been trying to find a sponsor and I'm not sure I've found the right group yet...therefore, no one I can relate to enough to share my story and my life with every day. I obviously still have counseling appointments and dr appointments while on the bupe, but I believe that after what I learned in my 6 weeks of intensive outpatient treatment that I need a support group surrounding me, besides my family.....

I admire you.... your positive attitude and your success. Keep sharing....

Tina
Unread 09-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #18
emma4484

TINA- Congrats in taking the steps in your recovery. Many people are sceptical about NA and other support groups. But, I found out that they are non judgemental, supportive, recovering addicts themselves who are only there to help and support. Also, ( quouted from the NA website) ;

"NA as a whole has no opinion on outside issues, including prescribed medications. Use of psychiatric medication and other medically indicated drugs prescribed by a physician and taken under medical supervision is not seen as compromising a person's recovery in NA."

Whether you are or aren't on medication management to control your addiction, NA accepts you with open arms. I think if you find a sponsor it can help you tremendously. It just helps me knowing there are SO many other people out there staying clean and trying to live a real life, not hide behind a mask of drugs. That said seeing a counselor also has helped me. NA's motto, JUST FOR TODAY, should be all recovering addicts motto. Take it one day at a time. Don't think too far ahead in the future. If one day at a time is too much, take it one hour at a time.

WE CAN ALL BEAT OUR ADDICTIONS, with help, support, guidance, and FAITH. Have faith in yourself. Know that you can live drug free, it means relearning how to do everything you ever did, WITHOUT drugs. We are like babies learning to walk again. No one said it was going to be easy. When you feel like giving up, just think, you need to swim across a lake, the only way through is to keep on swimming to get to the shore, if you stop halfway, you'll drown. So keep pushing through the hard s***, it is really really hard at times, BUT NEVER TOO HARD. NOTHING IS TO HARD. You can and will succeed. Today I feel like a brand new person. I am loving life, and feel like I am rediscovering everything in it. If you told me a year ago that today I would be drug free, I would say you were crazy! But find the inner strenght to beat your addiction. I would love to help anyone who is having a rough time or needs support, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep the faith! Peace

you CAN do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 09-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #19
tina

Thanks for sharing. I am 38 year old and my 3 year old daughter is named Emma Jean. What a sweet name!

I appreciate your input and will definately keep looking!

Tina
Unread 09-17-2006, 04:01 AM   #20
easc

So glad to hear you are doing this well.You are right,you are"living proof"!
Unread 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #21
BethMolly

Thank you so much for your message. Especially about the dosage you are taking. I keep telling my doctor I don't think this dose is strong enough and I still have thoughts/dreams, etc. of use. I am only on 16 mg a day and he says this is the strongest anyone goes. I have printed out your post to open the discussion about increasing my dose.

God Bless. I am working to get where you are and I hope I get there.

Just an FYI - my sponsor was not too happy about the medication therapy so we just agreed to disagree and parted. I am searching for a new one but I still talk with her.