Addiction Survivors

Unread 06-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
crazycat1976

Default crack cocaine and suboxone Please HELP

Hi:

i am trying to find out if anyone has been addicted to crack and heroin and if so how did subooxone help them. My husband was on Suboxone for 5 months for the heroing and i thought it helped for the cravings of coke also, but as i have come to find out he has been craving crack cocaine the whole time now he has gone out of control, for the first 3-4 momnths he was good clean and now he has confessed he can't help but to go seek crack now he has been missing for like 6 days and i do not know where he is. He has ran out of the subooxone, which he did say helped for the heroin but now i assume he is back to it since just this week the Dr. he was seeing for the suboxe has cancelled his treatment because he missed one appointment this week. We had set up for him to go see him to also see what other medication can be given to him for the coocaine use.but my husband never showed up(he has been missing)
Can anyone please help him with some advice. Is it typical for peple to disappear for this long of time while doing all these drugs???
please help me with some advice if you have been in his situation.

thank you,

Worried
crazycat1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Brett

CC

If he has been clean along time and goes back to herion that could be deadly. His tolerance is much lower and his old dose of herion could kill him. Im not trying to scare you, but this is true. Try to find him and get him help Immediately!!
I dont know about the coke, but somebody else will come along and give you advice.

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Suture

CC1976,
I am so sorry you and your husband are going through this. Dual dependencies, especially heroin and crack, are some of the most difficult to treat. There have been some animal studies that show mice maintained on buprenorphine self administered less cocaine, but it is more complicated in humans. From what IàƒÂ‚‚Âà ƒÂ‚’ve read it can help, but apparently not enough.

6 day binges are common with crack addictions. They go off for days, everyone worries, then they usually return feeling remorseful about their responsibility hiatus. Stopping his medication, however, is worrisome. He will have withdrawal from not taking the sub and he will have cravings for heroin. This might drive him to the doctor.

My advice is, if you have a report with the doctor, notify him of the situation so your husband can quickly get back on his medication. The heroin addiction can be stabilized, at least medically, with Suboxone, then deal with the cocaine addiction. I donÃà‚ ƒÂƒÃ‚‚’t know much about treating cocaine addictions but think psychosocial methods are the main tool. Maybe a controlled environment would be the best place for a while, like a inpatient rehab facility.

How much Suboxone was he taking?

S-
Suture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
crazycat1976

Thank you so much for the input. Yes, i am worried since we haven't heard from him. He has done this before in the past but not for so many days. I want to call the police and maybe report the car stolen or something so they can catch him but then again that will lead him in prison, so i am not sure what to do.
As far as finding him, i do know where he goes to get the drugs but i don't know at what house or who, and i do not know who he is with, i am sure with other drug users but do not know who. I guess i cuyld camp out around the area where i know but i have a 4 year ld daughter and can't leave her and expose her to all that craziness.
I also do know of binges where they go on for days but also now he might be taking Heroin again since he has no longer the medicince.
Is it right for a Dr. to stp treatment for a patient just because he did not show up for an appointment? have you heard of that? cuold he go back to get treatment anywhere else if this Dr. doesn't want to take him back?
He was taking 8mg at the end. He started at 16mg then lowered to 8mg then 4mg and then 2mg, but then he started saying the medicince was not working so just this klast month he was on 8mg, but i kept telling him he probalnbly needed more.
Do any of you know of how well subxone works with antidepressants, for the crack addicition???? i have read online on some pills that help crave the crack, but nthing apprved just yet, there is Provigil, and Topamax but i am just wondering what any of you might think or if you know please let me know.....
thank you so much, i dn;t have anyone to talk to abut this, i am ashamed of telling my family( i just told two friends besides you) he is missing and all since my family will tell me I told you sooo.....
thanks..
Worried
Unread 06-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Suture

You were right, he did need more medication. For many reasons patients are compelled to lower their dose or discontinue an otherwise effective treatment. This is a good example of why reducing ones dose prematurely can have devastating consequences. 16mgs. was likely enough to suppress enough cravings to keep him drug free. (since it did work until he reduced) As he lowered his dose, the cravings would have returned. It sounds like if he was on 16-24mgs it might be enough to suppress the heroin cravings and maybe make the cocaine cravings at least manageable with counseling or other therapy. The first thing is to get him back on what we know works for him (16mgs of bupe) then tackle the other issues one at a time.

Most addiction doctors know addiction is a chronic disease that often means relapse. The doc should take him back, but if he doesnÃà‚‚à’t there are others, see the patient/doctor connection on this website.

I feel for your situation and hope the very best for you.
S-
Unread 06-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
crazycat1976

Suture,

thank you, i really do hope that he apperars again to give life a try again and well....i hope that he gets the right dosage soon. As of now i do hope he is alive or atleast apppears. i fear he might just have given up....and never return..but i will wait until tomorrow if he doesn't show up. if not i will call the police.....do you think that will help??? and report the car stolen?? he did not even show up to work thursday or friday....so that kind of worries me.

thanks...
CC
Unread 06-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Suture

CC,
I donÃà‚ ƒÂƒÃ‚‚’t know. I wish I could be more helpful. I have experienced something similar but the person would eventually turn up. No news was good news in my case. I think if it were me I would call the police. Anything that could possibly stop what might be life risky behavior seems to be the right thing to do. Eventually, heà‚Âà ƒÂƒÃ‚Â‚ÃƒÂ‚Ã‚Â’ll run out of drugs and money and come home. IàƒÂ‚‚Âà ƒÂ‚’m praying for you both.
S-
Unread 06-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
deniese

Cat, this is just a thought. If you are afraid of having him arrested by saying he stold your car, there are other ways. My god daughters father is schitzophrenic and will take off for days, he has been gone for 8 days at this time. His daughter filed a missing persons report, using his mental ilness. Now if addiction is not a type of mental illness, what is,(my opinion of course). Again this is just an idea for you. Will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Deniese
deniese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #9
oneway

Hi Crazy Cat, I thought i would give you a different perspective. First of all I was your husband. By that I mean I was just as bad, probably worse. I am for the underdog, no matter what.I had to hit rock bottom, for 2 years. Homeless, stealing, selling drugs, you name it. I was married just before that & my drugs took care of that. I had a beautiful wife, great family & yet I would not get clean for them. I got clean when I was ready. Its been over 10 years since that time, the only one I would change for was myself. It sounds like you've been around the city with him, do you deserve better than that. Sorry, I just hate seeing someone who has one that cares & they abuse that. He'll get clean only when he respects himself enough to. Oneway
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 12:23 AM   #10
OhioMike

Sadly, very sadly ............ I have to agree with oneway.

I too had to do it for myself and I had to be ready and that sure took some time to get to that point.

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:02 AM   #11
crazycat1976

Hello,
yeah i know. i do deserve better than this. I have been living my life in complete misery and with no peace of mind. I know that he will need to want to stop but i feel like he might never get clean, people go on for years using until one day out of nowhere they change and then there are those who just never do. My husband has gone through the whole thing before, i had left him many times and he was homesless in jail, and all that and it just seems he never gets it. He says this time he really tried but the drugs took control again(maybe the suboxone was not given properly) and plus his crack addiction. I hope and pray he appears tonight but if he doesn't than i will call the police andput a missing person report. I care too much for him and i think he doesnt care about me and his little daughter. He is only 29, and i would hate to see his life a waste. But if he does appear i would like to see what can be done for the very last time. If this doesn't work....i think nothing will.
thank you all for your insight
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:18 AM   #12
oneway

Bless your heart. Sometimes you have to really let go to see how unhealthy a relationship is/was. He probably knows you'll always be there. I'm for him but he has to do it, I had to do it. I look back & I never would have changed if I did not do it on my own. I'm semi succesful now, my company did 3/4 mil last year, I couldn't even picture that back then. Alot of people would kill for someone so supportive & loyal. Take care of you first, Oneway.
Unread 06-12-2006, 03:25 AM   #13
oneway

Sorry Crazycat, don't mean to be so hard on him. A 21 day program really helped me, it gave me a chance to clean up & see how bad I was hu8rting myself & loved ones. Detoxed there first of course. People a lot worse off then him have turned it around. We're pullin for you, keep us posted if you can, OW.
Unread 06-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #14
crazycat1976

Hello;
well he finally showed up, he had not slept in all those day from doign that. He says he wants help so we are gonna try to see the same doctor if he takes him back or another one. Also he will try something to help crave the cocaine habit. Let's hope something works.
Thanks..
Rosa
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
obef

Hey CC:

It would probably be better if you start devoting more time into what will help you and let him devote time into what will help him.

I hate to see good people dragged down by this. You have spent a lot of time worrying about him --- and for what --- he turned up. Just think of the good things you could have done with that time. I have been throught the same things and you know what, I no longer devote any of my time with my husband's addiction, I'd prefer to spend it doing good things for me and my kids.

obef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:27 PM   #16
Caroline

Some people who have more than one drug addiction will do well with all the addictions when enough Suboxone is given to stop the opioid cravings. I have had patients report that with only taking Suboxone, carvings for cocaine, marijuana, and even cigarettes subsides as well. This has something to do with the same brain circuits being utilized for the reward system/pathway among the different drugs. Commonly the use of one drug is a trigger for use of another. For instance, if one has a cigarette, you have to have a drink (alc or even coffee), and if one has a drink, you have a cigarette. The heroin and cocaine connection is often found. First it is very important to take care of the opioid craving and see if it works for the other drugs. HOWEVER, some patients simply cannot give up the cocaine, no matter what. I am currently trying modafinil (Provigil)for cocaine addiction, though I have had some limited success with decreasing cocaine use with welbutrin in the past. I'm not sure how useful the Provigil will be in the long term (and probably every case is different), but besides what I've read, I've had several psychiatrists back me up on using it for cocaine addiction. I have one patient who has gone through a couple of psychotic episodes secondary to his cocaine use and is desperate to try anything to get control of the problem, so I'll start him on provigil this week. Of course I told him it was not a magic bullet and he needed to REALLY want to quit and to psych himself up for quitting...to which he agreed. So I'll start him on it and see what happens.
Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #17
crazycat1976

Yeah, i know i want to be able to feel at peace and I already told him that if doesn;t do something about this that i will leave for good and i think i might have to since i just can't be with someone who can't get itt ogether at the same time i know it must be hard for him and i do think that he might need a higher dosage since the first Dr he saw didn't really do that treatment right and this second DR. gave him for his induction 16mg of subutex but i think he might need more...maybe be on 24mg....
well, who knows what will happen i just want to be happy and stop worrying aout this...
i feel like this drug addicitoon thing never ends..
Unread 06-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
charmed2

Hi Crazy...so glad he came back...I have been reading this thread...I was going to say that I am thinking of you and will pray for your situation.
It sounds like not just your husband but you also may need help and support through this. There are many great groups for spouses and family memebers of addiction. Alanon(sp?) is one...When he goes to his doctor ask there if they also do family counseling. I know you might think that you may not need it...but in the counseling that I go to...they really focus on the family too...and it is just amazing to me the things that the family or spouses go through with our addictions. My husband is starting to attend with me and he admits that it is going to be a big help to him.
Just different ways of coping can be learned as well as your own progression through this addiction. They say the spouses of addicts also become addicted not to the drug per say but to the drug abuser themselves. Your world becomes wrapped up and changed by the addiction your husband is experiencing and you believe it or not have been so affected by this in ways you do not even realize. It can also help the two of you become closer.
Your situation can get better and there is hope for the both of you.
I will keep you in my thoughts...keep posting here...encourage your husband to visit the forum and to post...if he does not want to post...there is a wealth of information here for him...You can locate a doctor here on the website I found this link
http://naabt.org/zipcode.cfm?page=/p...tor/splash.cfm
This can help you both locate another doctor if his current one will not see him again...and usually with the suboxone physician there will also be information at that clinic about counseling and treatment programs.
Best of luck to you....Hang in there...Things will get better for you
Sherri
charmed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #19
charmed2

Me again..re-reading my above post...I said that counseling could help the two of you become closer...I just wanted to say..this all depends on your own situation of course. It might help the two of you become closer or not...it all depends on what you gather yourself is best for you...If you are both dedicated to each other and each others recovery..it most defintely can help the two of you become closer...again it all depends on your situation. But counseling for you is definitely not going to hurt anything. You need to hear good things and learn how to cope...counseling can be very scary but once you are there you realize that you are not the only one going through this. I just personally think it is a great thing to know that there is just not only help for us people with drug addictions but help is also there to the family memebers and spouses going through their own set of problems arising from the addiciton. Give it a tryYes it can be scary and even intimidating at first but You might be pleasantly surprised at how it will really help you...
Sherri
charmed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #20
crazycat1976

Charmed2
thanks for the response as wel as everyone else's.
I know i need some therapy myself and i will start seeking it if not broth together just me alone because i don't like how i get sometimes, i get so mad and then worried just a mess, and well, i try to cope with al because of our daughter but at times i just want to scape far far away and then i realize i have no money to do that, so i am praying more and just learning to be patient and hopefully he can start counceling since he has never really had, and with the last doctor, that Dr never told us where to go.
I will find out for me and him to go together and well if he doesn't want to go i will, but i will try to encourage him to stay focused as much as a i can after all he has to know he has all the power and he can make it thourhg this if he wants to. i have tried just to the max, i don;t think someone can do more, but i am praying and hopefully he can get regualed at the right dosage and not relapse and mess up big time.
lots of love
Rosa