Addiction Survivors

Unread 03-29-2006, 01:03 AM   #1
Stacey

Default Ultram Class Action suit

I was curious if anyone has looked into this???? This is how I became hooked and would like to talk to someone who has looked into it. All the sites in the web lead you to purchasing meds [V]. Any leads? I want to know if the drug co. ever owned up to the addiction..... ~S~
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 01:22 AM   #2
Brett

My wife takes ultram for pain,About 6 tablets a day for years now. It says in the patient info sheet you get from the rx that it can be a addictive drug if taken at doses higher than recomended by the MD. If they have that warning how could you sue?
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
dodo

Brett,
Your wife is going to go through withdraw when or if she ever decides to stop taking ultram. I've been there, it is just as bad as hydro withdraw.
I agree with you about, if the warning is posted how could you sue.
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Stacey

Hello-- I am a nurse and can clearly remember the drug reps coming into the offices and pushing this med as if it were Advil but they used terms "it's not addictive and you can go to work while on it, unlike being on narcotics......" At the same time, I received the meds from my orthopedic doc for back and leg pain (post car accident)and he aslo relayed that type of statement. Drug co's find out problems down the road many times and I am guessing that the information was true at the time and it did allow me to go back to work, etc.... HOWEVER, over time the addiction was uncovered either by the drug company or by the patients who went off the med. There was a class action law suit due to the false advertising and the fact that so many people/patients had to go into detox treatments and withdrawls. When the company found addiction to be a probability, they thenadded the disclaimer. When the drug reps came into the office they had to change their delivery of what ultram could do. By that time, I had been on it for a couple years so the damage was done, so to speak. The drug addiction, for me, escalated to more ultram, vicodin, blah blah blah... I am not a pusher of law suits but I am really mad that I was part of this "oops" with the drug co. and I took ultram several times a day not knowing that there was going to be this repurcussion. My car accident, that nearly took my life, was in '92. While I appreciate that I am alive, I would have done medications a little different. Now it's 14 years down the road and i'm just going into detox. I am 35 years old. I have to take responsibility for the last 6 years or so that have gotten so out of control, but the seed was planted by Ultram. Going through rehab or detox, not to mention maintenance, is not going to be cheap. I was able to get the meds with insurance co-pays but the sub tx is completly out of pocket along with the doc visits. I don't mean to go on and on but I am just expressing my anger over the situation and the drug. I caution anyone who is taking Ultram/tramadol/ultracet (all the same ingredients). Long term use will make you an addict or at least dependant, even if you don't know it. You will know it if the perscriptions stop or you lose your med,etc. Please be aware! ~S~

Unread 03-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
opiatedeficient

I don't believe that long term use will make someone an addict who frankly wasn't already genetically/emotionally/biologically/chemically stacked to be one in the first place.

You can be physically dependant on many many drugs, and many many people are. If you are a chronic pain patient, there is a great chance that if you stopped your oxycontin tomorrow you'd be in a great deal of agony! That doesn't mean you are an "addict" it means you have a physical dependance.

I think people get law-suit happy because they want to blame someone or something, when in reality, perhaps there just isn't anything to blame except confusing biology and psychology to explain why some took ultram and went on a ride from hell, and others, like my father, took it and never had a lick of trouble or a hint of "addiction."

Frankly, these lawsuits bug me because they make it all that more difficult for those with legitimate pain needs to get the medications that they deserve and are effective.

Ultimately it comes to personal choice. Yes, perhaps you weren't educated well. But you still put the pill in your mouth, and continued to do so even when deep down, you knew you were "needing" those pills way above and beyond a medical issue. And the fact is, NO medicine is completely well understand and researched.

I take Ambien, and look at all that is coming out now about how Ambien could be causing people to over-eat while asleep. So now people should sue Ambien? COunt me out. For the most part, these are medications with real flaws and issues, but the fact is that I'm the one who is messed up, not the medication.
opiatedeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Sub-Zero

The crime is that the government limits the treatment for addiction to a lucky 30 people that happen to find a doctor that happens to care enough to get trained and not to charge an outrageous amount for bupe.
sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
Stacey

Opiatedeficient- You make very good points and I do understand that even after I knew the med was addictive to me i continued to take it. I was responsible for my intake but I was venting on the drug companies and the marketing of Ultram. They, too, have to take some responsibility and my question was to see if they ever did. I never heard how the suit ended, if it has. I can't find anything on the web because as soon as you do a search on it, it sends you to a site (s)so you can "get Ultram--cheapest on the web..only $89.00 for 100 pills and no RX required". You must admit there must be something to the desire for people to search out this med. You don't see these type of ad's for aspirin. I'm just trying to say that we all make choices, mine went from good and innnocent to bad, and I'm looking for answers as I go into detox Friday. Short term use of Ultram is usually not a problem (and even beneficial) but long term use causes the dependance/addiction. No law suit is going to get me out of this HOLE, whether the suit was completed or not. I'm getting me out of the hole and that is what is important. I also agree the Govt. should allow for people to have better access to "fight the war on drugs." What a joke..... ~S~
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
Don Rico

I used to get SO MAD when I would go through all the trouble and book a doctor's visit, go to my appointment, tell the doctor all about my chronic pain issues hoping to be prescribed something GOOD, and the doc would write me up for *****in' ULTRACET instead of the real deal, i.e. something that actually WORKED.

I am sure that on some level he or his nurses must have had suspicions that I was not in real actual need of opioids (even though I really was) and, in their eyes, only manifesting "drug-seeking" behavior.

So he would prescribe the tramadol, having himself already bought hook, line and stinker the whole drug rep campaign about how it was "not addictive" and "non-euphorigenic"...

So yeah I would take the tramadol and TRY to get pain relief, but it never worked. That stuff is pure garbage.

Ultram, Ultracet, tramadol, WHATEVER... It all SUCKS. No therapeutic efficacy WHATSOEVER.

How ironic to find out now that it is just as addictive and as widely abused as the "good stuff" I needed but could never seem to get for my chronic pain...
Don Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
Don Rico

I used to get SO MAD when I would go through all the trouble and book a doctor's visit, go to my appointment, tell the doctor all about my chronic pain issues hoping to be prescribed something GOOD, and the doc would write me up for *****in' ULTRACET instead of the real deal, i.e. something that actually WORKED.

I am sure that on some level he or his nurses must have had suspicions that I was not in real actual need of opioids (even though I really was) and, in their eyes, only manifesting "drug-seeking" behavior.

So he would prescribe the tramadol, having himself already bought hook, line and stinker the whole drug rep campaign about how it was "not addictive" and "non-euphorigenic"...

So yeah I would take the tramadol and TRY to get pain relief, but it never worked. That stuff is pure garbage.

Ultram, Ultracet, tramadol, WHATEVER... It all SUCKS. No therapeutic efficacy WHATSOEVER.

How ironic to find out now that it is just as addictive and as widely abused as the "good stuff" I needed but could never seem to get for my chronic pain...
Don Rico is offline   Reply With Quote