Addiction Survivors

Unread 02-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
rgvs

Default suboxone constrict pupils?

Does suboxone constrict eye pupils? if there are any doctors please answer this. when my girl friend ended her oxycodon her pupils were normal, dialated again in our room. then she started or continued suboxone therapy again... now they are constricted again, she says it is because of the suboxone. But, I think she is using. I know it would be disastrous to mix the two. I would like to know for sure or to know where to find information. please help. thankyou.
rgvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
TIM

I'm not a doctor but I can verify that Suboxne will constrict the pupils except on low doses.
Tim
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
bill

im not a docter but my pupils are like pin holes right now after i took my suboxone and it also makes me speedy and talkitive. like i said im no docter but for me this happens every time i take one. hope this helps you and wellcome rgvs
bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Kathleen

Yes, Suboxone will constrict the pupils. I am a nurse not a doctor.

Hello rgvs,
Is there any reason other than constricted pupils, to cause you to believe your girlfriend is using again? Constricted pupils alone, wouldn't be an indicator.
Kathleen
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
Lisa

Hi rgvs,

Welcome to the board. A while back my dosage of sub was too high. I felt like I was 'dopped', tired lethagic, constricted pupils, and very sleepy. Just my experience. Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Phoenix

Tony's pupils are constricted as well.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
boxermama

I'm on 6 mg of bup a day. my pupils are huge. i was scared to look into my eyes for the 1st month. i was use to pin point pupils for years. i think that everyone is different.
dawn
boxermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
blueshale

Take a look at this link that talks about different drugs and pupils being consticted or dialated.http://www.ni-cor.com/ni-corsignsand...addiction.html It has all kinds of charts and stuff.
paul
blueshale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
keczinem

buahaha... boxermama, that just gave me a hilarious mental image
keczinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 12:02 AM   #10
boxermama

kecz,
i'm glad that you got a good laugh from that.... heheh[)]
boxermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
spanky

rgvs Yes it will constrict the pupils.I went in to have a eye exam and they have a deal where they look through your pupil into your eye instead of dilating them.I paid extra to do this and because of my Subutex they could not because my pupils were too constricted...SPANKY
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #12
Robyn

I am on a low dose and my eyes are always constricted.
Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
russell

I'm on a low dose (7mg) & my pupils are like pin holes!
russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
homosapien

ditto i abhore the fact i have sub "junky eyes" When i go to an n.a meeting its so obvious im on opiates ,some people there are standoffish cos off it and i dont take them for pain management im an ex addict which is worse socially.At work once this new temp said to me "are you stoned" and winked&smilied at me like cool i wont tell anyone yr a stoner.yuk.i hate that stigma.blue eyes are a curse.
i feel my endorphin deficiency comes from p.t.s.d,that my adrenal overload from hyper alertness cancels out my natural endorphins. im reducing im on 5mgs im going to see a hypnotist for anxiety/to chill out -will see if it calms me down.sarah

simpatico fellas,ive found if i take anti-deps & other c.n.s meds etc my pupils return!im only taking sub the last 2 months so im stuck with damn druggy pinned eyes!thats one of the reasons im coming of sub after 3 years that & the relentless constipation(i worry abt bowel cancer) and travel restrictions-im in australia- sub is classfied like methadone have to pick up twice a week from chemist.sarah
homosapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
So.Cal.

Deffinately! When i first started sub i was acoused of using just for that reason.
TT
So.Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #16
parentofaddict

Yes, it does. However, you can get addicted to Subs the same as heroin. Be careful. When using suboxone you should be under the care of a doctor who specializes with subs and counsels you. I have had this experience with my kids.
parentofaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #17
nan

Oops, nope, one can become physically dependent on suboxone-that is way, way different than addiction. You are right that suboxone should be prescribed by a doctor and use counseling, etc as one works recovery. Suboxone should never be said to be "the same as heroin". I am attaching a link that explains the difference between physical dependence and addiction-hope that helps.

nan

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=20261
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to nan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-12-2011)
Unread 10-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentofaddict View Post
Yes, it does. However, you can get addicted to Subs the same as heroin. Be careful. When using suboxone you should be under the care of a doctor who specializes with subs and counsels you. I have had this experience with my kids.
Hi parentofaddict, welcome, just wanted to add my thoughts here. Most people do not become addicted to Suboxone, they continue the physical dependence from their former drug of choice (DOC) as Nan pointed out.

You are absolutely right about being under a doctor's care and counseling. If someone just takes Suboxone and changes nothing else - not much will change and many times the addictive behaviors remain. We've seen people self-medicate with Suboxone; constantly count pills; obsess over Suboxone, etc., as they had done with their former DOC, - perpetuating the addictive behaviors.

Addiction is behavior - uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences - and until that is changed, the addiction remains.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-12-2011), Thank You (10-29-2010)
Unread 10-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #19
MissSurvivor

Yeah, I'm definitely not addicted to Suboxone lol But I'm probably physically dependent! There's just no way heroin and sub are the same.. I cannot imagine that.
Thank You (02-12-2011)
Unread 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
OhioMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSurvivor View Post
Yeah, I'm definitely not addicted to Suboxone lol But I'm probably physically dependent! There's just no way heroin and sub are the same.. I cannot imagine that.

I couldn't agree more!

Can people become addiction to Suboxone when they are taking it for recovery? Yes, of course, but, when that happens it is on us, not the medication!
Unread 10-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #21
MissSurvivor

Exactly.. in addiction terms.. I think Sub is a lame drug to get addicted to. Not to say one drug is better then the other but you guys get what I'm saying. There's no euphoria really to Suboxone.
Unread 02-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #22
nycgirl

Default Reading is getting me scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi parentofaddict, welcome, just wanted to add my thoughts here. Most people do not become addicted to Suboxone, they continue the physical dependence from their former drug of choice (DOC) as Nan pointed out.

You are absolutely right about being under a doctor's care and counseling. If someone just takes Suboxone and changes nothing else - not much will change and many times the addictive behaviors remain. We've seen people self-medicate with Suboxone; constantly count pills; obsess over Suboxone, etc., as they had done with their former DOC, - perpetuating the addictive behaviors.

Addiction is behavior - uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences - and until that is changed, the addiction remains.

Nancy

Hi Nancy.

I've been reading more and more and getting more scared.

I know everyone and every case is different.

But from many of the posts I've read it says you can't get off suboxone without major withdrawals and horrible side effects..and some say they NEVER DO.

It scared me to think I will never be off suboxone. I don't like the drug and wish I never started. Which, we discussed before and said the Dr's should have weaned me off percs instead. But that's not the case unfortunately. So here I am very worried and frightened.

Do you think its true ? Do you think I will some day be off them.

I am now on 2.05mg per day 1/2 am 1/2 pm. I've been on this does since October and can't seem to lower it yet. I started with 12mg a day in July of 2009. I think the stress in my life is a part of the reason why its hard for me to lower my dose without fear, and of course the dependency of the drug.

I've written here before and you've answered some of my posts, so I hope to hear from you again.

Ok back to the issue ...
My main question is do you think I will ever get off suboxone? Any advise you can give me would be very appreciated..
I do have a Dr. Shes a psychiatrist, she isn't the original Dr who put me on Suboxone. He is too far from my house and very inconvenient to visit.

It's not easy to find Drs who are informative on suboxone.

She feels I can if I have a good day emotionally to just skip one dose.

She also mentioned that the thyroid has a major reason why I can or cannot wean off suboxone. Reason being if your TSH level is high. It means my thyroid is working that much harder. So she increased my Levorthyroxone. Stating it will be easier to wean off suboxone.

I will be making an appointment with an endocrinologist in my area to make sure I'm on the right dose of Levorthyroxone.
Nancy.. I know this is a very extensive and somewhat long email. BUT !!! Honestly as you know its not easy to get answers to questions and fortunately we have this forum.

So with that said if you can find the time to answer me I would really appreciate it. If anyone has a comment I'm welcome to hear what everyone has to say. Were in this together. And I thank you all ..
Marida
nycgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #23
KGON

I beleave if u put ur mine to it anything is possible
KGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #24
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Marida, when you have a chance, take a look at this thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678
It has people's experiences tapering off - many of them good ones without much in the way of withdrawals.

Stress can be a big factor in the taper process too. Can you work on ways to alleviate some of it? Maybe just don't worry about the taper right now and work on the stress factor and also work on getting your Levorthyroxone at the right dose. Try to put less emphasis on the Suboxone and the taper, that alone can cause undue stress. You could also try taking the afternoon dose and cutting that in half to see how that works. So you'd be taking 1mg in the am and then .5 in the pm. Reducing more slowly like that might be the way to go.

I hope you can get an appointment with the endocrinologist soon so you can get that part figured out. Then we can go from there.

Hang in there, you will do it!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #25
nycgirl

Hi Nancy..
Thanks so much for writing that alone helps me with my stress. I'm not sure if its my stress or the dose of Levorthyroxone but when I wake up in the morning I have that tingling feeling in my body, legs especially and a burning feeling as well . Which I was told could be Lactic acid deficiency. All I know is I want to feel good I want to wake up feeling normal again. I wish I could work on reducing my stress level some of it is impossible. My Mom of 93 has been living with me for the past 26 years and has just been diagnosed with Lung Cancer . I must say she is doing very well and not in any sort of pain. But the thought of the outcome is inevitable. There are other things that can't be changed but I can deal with them better if I felt better. My patience run thin when I don't feel good. I will try not to stress on the taper as much your right it could be adding to my stress level and when I do take a lower dose in the afternoon verse the morning. I will make my appointment tomorrow and hopefully have an answer soon about the dose of levothyroxone.

Nevertheless this forum is very good for me it helps me very much and look forward to hearing from you. You are all so wonderful and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

My Best
Marida
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #26
nycgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGON View Post
I beleave if u put ur mine to it anything is possible
Thanks for writing I enjoy hearing from everyone since we all have something of importance to say. So I want to thank you for your words of confidence. It helps me.. I wish you a wonderful day. And write anything and anytime you want..
My best
Marida
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #27
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Marida, definitely try and figure out what the tingly/burning feeling is. Does it feel like maybe your leg fell asleep - that type of tingling? I'm sorry to hear about your mom and the cancer. That really has to be so stressful for you. I'm glad she's not in any pain though.

Are you able to get any type of exercise in during the day? Even a walk around the block? That will help both physically and psychologically as it will get your natural endorphins going. Plus it does help to relieve stress.

Please let us know when your appointment is. Hopefully you can get in soon and get started on the road to feeling better.

Nancy
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
nycgirl

Default Your post and prev post withdrawels from suboxone

Quote:
Hi Marida, when you have a chance, take a look at this thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678
It has people's experiences tapering off - many of them good ones without much in the way of withdrawals.

Stress can be a big factor in the taper process too. Can you work on ways to alleviate some of it? Maybe just don't worry about the taper right now and work on the stress factor and also work on getting your Levorthyroxone at the right dose. Try to put less emphasis on the Suboxone and the taper, that alone can cause undue stress. You could also try taking the afternoon dose and cutting that in half to see how that works. So you'd be taking 1mg in the am and then .5 in the pm. Reducing more slowly like that might be the way to go.

I hope you can get an appointment with the endocrinologist soon so you can get that part figured out. Then we can go from there.

Hang in there, you will do it!

Nancy
Hi Nancy
I read all the posts from the link and they were very encouraging. Although I don't feel as strong willed as those I hope to go through or not go through much as I continue to taper off. My concern is the amount of time I've been on suboxone it will be almost 2 years which scares me so much. Especially thinking this addiction is worse than the perc addiction and so much longer.. I wasn't on percs for more than 4 months .. wow what a shame to think. I could have tapered off perc and not have and been going through this. Can't coulda shoulda woulda .. wont do me any good. I one day soon have to bite the bullet and do as you said take a 1/2 of a `1/2 and see how I feel. Its the unknown that scares me. I pray for a few good days of peace and solace in order to have the strength to taper off. Hopefully it will happen soon, thanks to this site and all the support . You all are my salvation.. My best and to those who have accomplished success . I praise you all. Marida
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #29
nycgirl

Default Tingling and burning

Quote:
Hi Marida, definitely try and figure out what the tingly/burning feeling is. Does it feel like maybe your leg fell asleep - that type of tingling? I'm sorry to hear about your mom and the cancer. That really has to be so stressful for you. I'm glad she's not in any pain though.

Are you able to get any type of exercise in during the day? Even a walk around the block? That will help both physically and psychologically as it will get your natural endorphins going. Plus it does help to relieve stress.

Please let us know when your appointment is. Hopefully you can get in soon and get started on the road to feeling better.

Nancy
Nancy..
To best describe the tingling is like a creepy crawling feeling pinchy weak feeling throughout my legs from my butt down. Doesn't feel like my legs are asleep. The burning feeling is a hot feeling in my chest and or upper area of the body.. It does go away and so does the tingling feeling go away. I have it every morning upon me waking up and then after taking my first dose and hour or so will pass and then Im feeling better. Today I had palpitations also. And pains in my abdomen almost like a cramp.

Im sure this is all stress related.

I don't know why but 5PM is like the best time of the day for me. That's when I physically feel my best. AND... I haven't yet taken my second dose yet. Usually I take it around 6PM or later. Who knows anything anymore.

I agree a walk would help me time for me... is truly what I need. I don't get much of me time, which is a huge issue in my life.

I do know distractions do wonders for the brain. And or a life would help as well.

Thank you for writing about my Mom YES, this is adding a tremendous amount of stress. Ever since she got sick and was coughing up blood. I now sleep in the Living Room to be closer to her in case she needs me.

But I don't think that such a great idea FOR ME. I'm adding more stress now to my sleep time. Every sound she makes I jump. And re live the night this happened to her. Wish I had a sister or brother right now. Help is a good thing.

Nancy I can't thank you and all the posts, for your time, your patience and your advise. And for those who have experienced what I'm going through and shares it with us.

It's truly getting me through with more ease.

I will call the Dr tomorrow to get an appointment and keep you posted.

My Best with warm wishes
Marida
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #30
NancyB
Administrator

Yikes Marida, I hope they can figure out what that is all about. It is not a good way to awaken!

How do you feel after taking your 2nd dose at 6 or later, especially if you're feeling really well at 5?

I hope you can work on getting some 'Marida Time'. You sound like you could really use it, doing this all without help or support. Do you have any cousins with whom you're close who might lend a hand? Think about contacting your city or state or your mom's insurance carrier - your mom may be eligible to have a a visiting nurse come in - which would be a huge help for you.

You are definitely adding more stress to your sleep time by sleeping in your livingroom. Maybe think about getting one of those baby monitors and then you can sleep in your bed, but be made aware if your mom needs you?

I hope you get an appointment today that is very soon. Keep us posted.

Nancy
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #31
theswan

Hi NYC girl

My fiancee is a nyc girl too (upper west side)

I have to chime in about my anxiety as for me, was caused by my diabetes medication-Metformin. Only few get this side effect but I feel it is worth saying just in case you were on it.

Now about tapering, please take it easy. Tapering is not to be feared. For me and many others, there was next to zero WD's. Believe also that I know about WD's because I do. I went off near 400mg morphine in 6 days and it was hell on wheels!

Suboxone withdrawal to me was like comparing a mosquito bite to a shotgun blast! In other words, not even close.

Are you on half a two milligram tab twice a day? I could not tell exactly how much you take.

I went from 16mg to 'crumbs" over a long term. After the easy big drops, I had no concerns until below 1/2mg a day. When I got there, it was no biggie.
I only had a setback after I went an saw 'La Boheme" at the Met. The seats were so uncomfortable, my back went bad (again) I hurt so bad I went back up to 2mg for a short time. I quickly got back on track and my taper ended August 4th 2010
That day I went with friends to Alantic City and swam, gambled and had a great two nights-no WD except slight insomnia which got better in time.

Anyway, you will get there but know it is not a race

God bless

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #32
erikanh80

Just wanted to comment on your leg symptoms:

I had the SAME as you describe in your legs at one time,a nd I went to the Doctor, paranoid thinking maybe I had a blood clot or something.....it turned out to be that I had a herniated disk in my lower back.

Come to find out....its VERY easy for one to get this. Even if you sit at a computer, and reach around to grab something, even straining just a little, you can get it. Most people that get it don't know because it can be caused by something so minor, that we don't relate to it. When in the lower back, it causes exactly describe, that feeling down both your legs, mostly upper legs/thighs and shoots down.

Anyway....the burning sensation sounds like something requiring medical attention for sure. Especially if you don't think its heartburn/gas/acid reflux. I'd go to your regular doctor if it doesn't subside. Well...just wanted to mention that. Good Luck
erikanh80 is offline   Reply With Quote