Addiction Survivors

Unread 02-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
karen

Default Mixing Suboxone with Valium

Hi, I'm new here & found this site while 'googling' information about Suboxone. I have a family member who is a Heroin addict, has lost her kids due to the addiction & has suddenly claimed to be on Suboxone though she said this due to having Opiates show up in a drug test.
Though from some of what I have read here, it seems that Suboxone doesn't show up in U/A's, is this correct?

My loved one is doing this & I'm wondering if this is just another way of getting high, since she did the same thing while using Methadone...got high using other drugs as well, that is.

Can anyone answer this for me, please?
karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Jaywalker

Hi Karen:

It is my understanding that buprenorphine will not show up on the standard urinalysis test for opiates. It requires a more expensive, detailed test that is not normally used by employers, counselors, probation officers, etc.

Additionally (once again, this is my understanding), using benzodiazapines (like Valium) with Suboxone is dangerous because one could become oversedated. Suboxone alone is not a sedative, but when combined with a benzodiazapine, there is an extrapyramidal effect, causing extreme sedation which could lead to a depressed respiratory system.
Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
TIM

Welcome to the board Karen,

Unlike methadone Suboxone completely blocks all other opioids (if the patient is at regular doses of 12-16mgs/day)

Patients do not get high from Suboxone

Suboxone can be tested for in urine if requested, but shows up separately, it usually would not cause a false positive for opioids.

To learn the basics about Suboxone see:
http://naabt.org/buprenorphine_overview.cfm

hope this helps.
Tim
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Karen, to further expound on Jaywalker's post (this is from our FAQs):

Will SuboxoneÃÃà ‚Â‚ÃƒÂ‚Ã‚Â‚ÃƒÂƒÃ‚ÂƒÃƒÂ‚Ã‚ ‚® show up in an employer urine test?
Only if it is specifically requested; most employer and municipality drug tests test for opioids as a group. Buprenorphine, being semi-synthetic, is different enough that it will not show up in a standard opiate test. However, there are tests that can detect Buprenorphine. These tests were once costly but are becoming less expensive and more common. 1/5/2006-American Bio Medica Corp. has begun offering a test to detect the presence of buprenorphine in urine.

So, in essence, buprenorphine (Suboxone) will not show up in a standard opiate test.

As regards Benzodiazapines (again from our FAQs):
What is the biggest danger with taking SuboxoneÃÃà ‚Â‚ÃƒÂ‚Ã‚Â‚ÃƒÂƒÃ‚ÂƒÃƒÂ‚Ã‚ ‚®?
There have been cases in France where patients taking benzodiazepines or other central nervous system depressants, such as alcohol, with Buprenorphine have died (they were using large doses of Subutex intravenously, not as prescribed). The biggest danger, however, is situational. Since Buprenorphine blocks the receptors, it will not allow ingested opioids to attach to receptors. Here's what could happen; A patient begins Buprenorphine treatment; soon after, they have a relapse. They take heroin; they will not notice any euphoria or high due to the powerful blocking effect of Buprenorphine. They may wrongly assume that the heroin they just purchased was bad, or of lower quality. They put the rest away. They stop Buprenorphine treatment for several days. Then, since they thought the heroin was of lower quality, they take more than they did before. The result is a fatal overdose.
Serious overdose or death may occur if benzodiazepines (Xanax), sedatives, tranquilizers, antidepressants, or alcohol are taken at the same time, and in large doses, with Suboxone. The risk of serious overdose or death is especially high if benzodiazepines are injected.
In general, Suboxone is safer than any other opioid.

NancyB
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
blueshale

Tim-
methadone blocks too. at certain levels methadone will keep you from getting high. I can not take normal amount of pain medicine to get treated because i am on methadone. methadone blocking dose is betweem 80-100mg/ this is why patirnts who want to get high stay on low doses/ these patients take enough methadone not toget dope sick but can get over the block with some extra heroin. Just as some of my friends tell me how they plan a relaspe but not taking their bupe for 2 days.
people will always figure out a way to get over, this is why worry about implants
paul
blueshale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
jen

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jaywalker

Hi Karen:

It is my understanding that buprenorphine will not show up on the standard urinalysis test for opiates. It requires a more expensive, detailed test that is not normally used by employers, counselors, probation officers, etc.

Additionally (once again, this is my understanding), using benzodiazapines (like Valium) with Suboxone is dangerous because one could become oversedated. Suboxone alone is not a sedative, but when combined with a benzodiazapine, there is an extrapyramidal effect, causing extreme sedation which could lead to a depressed respiratory system.
jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
jen

Hi Karen Suboxone has a blocker in it so taking another narcotic with it will not make you high but it can be dangerous and never mix valium with it unless the dr ok's it
jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
bill

why take meth or suboxone if you plan on getting high there are people out there that want to get clean dont take up space. it would piss me of if i could not get on suboxone because someone else is on it and getting high. only 30 people to a docter for suboxone its not right
bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
Jaywalker

Bill:

The question regarding using Valium with Suboxone came from a concerned relative (look at the first post) who was worried about a family member. I think you misunderstood the topic and/or subsequent posts.

Be well...

Jay
Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
bill

just putting it out there i read it and was thinking to my self why
bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
karen

Thank you all for your responses, it was quite informative. Along with this post I have been doing a bunch of research about it, learning.
To be honest, I don't know whether she is on Suboxone or not, she recently claimed to be on it as an explanation for why her UA's are still hot for Heroin.......from reading here & other research, it appears that she was lying since Suboxone doesn't show up as Opiates, only as Bupe., I pray that she is on it, since it appears that in general, it's a very safe drug....except when abused(!!), go figure. From all that I have read, mixing Valium or any Benzo/alcohol etc is very dangerous. Knowing her I have no doubt that she's abusing the Valiums...........unless a miracle has occurred in the last few weeks, which is a distinct possibility since we pray so hard for her!

Anyways, Thanks again for all your input & taking the time to answer.
karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #12
lisa g

Hi Karen,
I understand your concern for your relative. I went to my doctor yesterday, she had just attended a seminar on bup. She related one dr.'s story of prescribing bup to a patient that lied about taking ativan. In fact, he was taking both. Within 2 hours of dosing the patient was at the hospital w/respiratory distress and died. It appears to me it is imperative that anyone on bup not abuse ANY benzos.

lisa g
lisa g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
leeglegle

Lisa:

Any more information on the death case? It's the first I've heard of in the United States directly attributed, even in part, to bupe treatment.

Thanks.

Robert
leeglegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #14
Don Rico

I told my bupe doc that I was having sleep problems, insomnia etc.. I figured he would automatically write me up for one of the "new generation" sedatives like Lunesta that I see on TV 50 times a freakin' day...

Nope. He wrote me up for Valium (benzodiazepine) 5mg... to be taken every night at bedtime. EVERY NIGHT. Which I kind of wonder about...

So every night I take my subs and I drink my beers and, then, when it's time for bed, I take my Valium.

No problems so far. Life is good.
Don Rico is offline   Reply With Quote