Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
healthy52

Default Pharmacy is WRONG!

I do not understand this! My doctor prescribed 19 2MG Subs for me until my next visit which is every 30 days. I have been doing my best to taper off so I can stop Sub altogether . Anyways when I first dropped off my subscription on April 4, 2011 I only had 3 of the 19 filled. The 3 lasted me for quite some time anyways then I had them only fill 2 of the remaining pills. This last time I went to get my 2 pills the clerk said I needed a doctors script because I had no more refills left. I told the clerk that is incorrect I should have 8 pills remaining of the 19 she looked on the computer and said no the computer says you have no refills available. I told her I have only gotten 11 of the 19 that were prescribed to me. I asked to speak with the pharmacist who said you can only fill a narcotic drug 5 times I said Ma that is not true she said yes it is and if I need any more of the medicine I have to go back to the doctor and get a prescription. This is crazy I know she is wrong, has anyone heard of such a thing. I am debating about calling the doctor or just making my monthly visit to him ( which I was trying to stretch out as long as possible) but I know I am due 8 at that stupid drug store. Anyone have any suggestions!
healthy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi healthy52, I checked your profile and found this about prescribing in a Virginia Board of Pharmacy newsletter:
http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/Pharmacy...s/VA082006.pdf
Page 3
Explanation of DEA Regulations on Partial Refilling of Prescriptions
Pharmacists often question the DEA rule regarding the partial refilling of Schedule III, IV, and V prescriptions as stated in Section 1306.23 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Confusion lies in whether or not a partial fill or refill is considered one fill or refill, or if
the prescription can be dispensed any number of times until the total quantity prescribed is met or six months has passed. According to DEA’s interpretation, as long as the total quantity dispensed meets the total quantity prescribed with the refills and they are dispensed within the six-month period the number of times it is refilled is irrelevant.
The DEA rule is printed below:
Section 1306.23 Partial Filling of Prescriptions.
The partial filling of a prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule III, IV, or V is permissible provided that:
(a) Each partial filling is recorded in the same manner as a refilling,
(b) The total quantity dispensed in all partial fillings does not exceed the total quantity prescribed, and
(c) No dispensing occurs after 6 months after the date on which the prescription was issued.
[21 CFR 1306.23]

----------------
Granted, that is from 2006, but I couldn't find anything that said it was changed.
There should be no problem in getting the rest of your medication by the looks at that.

The only thing I can think of is if someone there messed up and incorrectly recorded the number of pills you've filled. Think about going back there, talking with the pharmacy manager and asking him or her to print out all the times you refilled on that prescription to prove that you still have 8 left. There should be records.

I hope this helps, let us know what happens.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
healthy52

Thanks Nancy I will do that when I picked up my last prescription the clerk counted how many pills I had actually picked up and she said yes I had 8 left but the computer read NO REFILLS!. I will definitely go back and tell her what you had read and has her to explain why I cannot get the remaining 8 on my original script. If I could get the 8 it would be awhile before I have to go back if at all. I am really trying to make this my last prescription. Thanks again for the info I thought she was wrong!
Unread 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
tlg

I will add in TX, you are only able to do 6 partial refills/script. Some states have different laws, I actually spoke with my doctor about this a few appointments ago and she pulled up a website that said pretty much that, tho I didn't understand all the mumbo jumbo. I have posted about this before and got many responses that there are certain pharmacies who wont allow partial refills or say controlled aren't allowed to be done like that. I suppose laws are different from state to state and guess that certain pharmacies may be able to set their own rules. I never had problem filling my Sub up to 6 times per script, but other then that I am not sure. That's just what I've been told by other people here and thru my doctor and pharmacy.
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Selena15

Healthy,
I had a script filled and when I got out to the car I counted them. I was short 3,I went back in and told her and she KNEW I was right and gave me no problem giving me the rest. Then yesterday I went and on my bottle it said,18 units left. They tried to give me 15. Before I left the pharmacy I counted them and sure enough she said she made a mistake. Now,my take on this is she needs to be on Suboxone. Mistakes happen,I'm aware of that but, for it to happen twice,I don't buy it.
I would count them in the future before you leave.
Selena15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
tlg

Selena,
IMO, if this has happened twice (and the fact that it's a controlled), maybe you should go to the manager and let them know. It's possible the lady is new or has personal things going on and isn't focusing on work. BUT it's also possible she's taking meds from people and hoping they don't notice. I know pharm. tech's who've done this and I have done it before as well. We trust these people almost as much as we trust our doctors. If she's shorting people, who's to say that she hasn't or may not give someone the wrong medication and could possibly cause someone to have serious side effects or drug interaction. Also, all the pharmacies I've ever been to has 2 people check the script,l the person who fills it and the pharmacist or a tech if they didn't fill it, so be sure it's the right medication.

I agree, it's always important to check not only the quanity but also the actual medication to be sure it's the wirte pill and dose. I do this at the counter right after they give it to me so I can tell them right then and there b/c some pharmacist's wont do anything about it once you've left the building! Think about talking with a manager about this!
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Selena15

TLJ,
I did think about reporting it but I didn't want to be the one to get her in trouble. However,it could be someone who doesn't know differently and say nothing about it and just accept it as it is.
Perhaps if this happens again I'll be forced to do something b/c if she's doing it with me she is probably doing it with others.

I know what you mean about them having someone else to count them also some how she must not have had that done. I think that's a No No as well.

I have been fussing so much lately with the Ins. and Dr. office I'm just about fussed out.
Selena15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
bizzby45

always count your pills. walgreens has shorted me in the past when i had a zanax script. as for the patrial refills: i do partials on subs all the time. i have gone bac up to three times to do partials on one script. this was in the last 3 months.
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
healthy52

I went to the Pharmacy and spoke with the manager she looked up my prescription and the amount of pills I had recieved and she agreed I have 8 left, she told me the pharmacist was incorrect and I CAN get my last 8 as long as it is within the 6 month period from the time the script was written. I decided just to get the last 8 so I will not have to worry about this. I read where some people have not gotten what they were suppose to in the amount of pills I have never had that problem. I do recall one time where they gave TOO MUCH of the medicine in stead of 30 pills they gave 90 pills. I just hope the manager talks with the pharmacist and tell her she was WRONG and she should learn the laws of Virginia when it comes to refills on a controlled substance. Thanks for all of your feed back.
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi healthy52, glad that worked out for you! It would be nice if the manager did talk with that pharmacist so she doesn't do it again.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote