Notices

Unread 04-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
Brett

Default Hello From A Old Friend

Hello Everyone,

I came to this site around 3-25-06, I have been on sub 11 years
now. This site was critical to my recovery, I got a education on what addiction
is. Without this site, I doubt I would have made it. so I say Thank You Naabt
for what you and the many friends I made here did for me.

Now my purpose for coming back to say hello,

When I first got on Suboxone, I started having rashes and headaches,
after 3 months of treatment, My doctor switched me to subutex, It does not
have the Nalexone in it, I assume thats what Im allergic too.
I was at My Doctor yesterday for a normal visit, He was upset with the news he had for me. He told me He can no longer prescribe subutex. So He wrote my script for Generic suboxone. I was paying 2.83 per 8mg subutex pill.
The cost for Generic suboxone is 7.85 per 8 mg pill. thats over 5 dollars more per pill. My Doctor told me he was ready to give up, Many of his patients can not afford such a price increase.

I had been on 2mg for many years until the last couple months, surgery I had came with pain, I selected sub for pain and increased my dose back to my beginning dose of 16mg per day. I will have no problem tapering back down to 2 mg.

Since they dont make a pill smaller then 2mg, we either stop at 2mg, or attempt to cut smaller pieces, My Plan is to get down to 1mg, then start skipping days then stop.

I just wonder if anybody knows anything about this, No more subutex for anyone? I planned to stay on sub the rest of my life, but cost is making my
decision for me.

MY next question is why would generic subutex cost so much less then generic suboxone? To Me it just seems like a way to get more money out of people in recovery. Many will fall back into addiction, I plan to write a letter
to every Gov. Official I can.

If A person is on 16mg suboxone, the script cost is 471 dollars per month.
then add In the doctor visit for me its 150 per month. This is just plain wrong, we already have a major opiate problem in our country, Now I fear
it will get very bad.

Comments welcome.

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Brett For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-05-2017)
Unread 04-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hello Brett! Other than this issue, I hope you are well!

I found the law and this is who can be prescribed bupe only:

"Prescription of buprenorphine without naloxone; limitation. Provides that prescriptions for products containing buprenorphine without naloxone shall be issued only (i) for patients who are pregnant, (ii) when converting a patient from methadone to buprenorphine containing naloxone for a period not to exceed seven days, or (iii) as permitted by regulations of the Board of Medicine or the Board of Nursing. The bill contains an emergency clause and has an expiration date of July 1, 2022. This bill is identical to SB 1178."

It's seems that (iii), from my understanding, is for some people who may need it for pain while in bupe treatment.

Reading more about that stupid law I found this, which is very disturbing to me anyways. From:
https://hdjn.com/2017/03/opioidandbuprenorphine/

"Other states also permit the prescription of the buprenorphine mono-product in cases where there is a documented allergy as confirmed by a Board Certified allergist, or in cases where a patient has failed a course of treatment in a category commonly referred to as medical necessity. The Board chose not to adopt either of those exceptions out of concern that they would be abused and be difficult to enforce."

And this is why:
"The Board heard testimony that the street value of Subutex® in Southwest Virginia is $75.00/tablet, where the street value of Suboxone® is $25.00/tablet. Through feedback from Commonwealth’s attorneys and judges in Southwest Virginia, the immediate concern is reducing the amount of Subutex® on the street, as patients will crush the tablet formulations and divert them, or will sell them as a way to make a living and sustain their habit."

Here's the Law:
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...116HB2163+BREF

I cannot believe that people like you with a documented allergy to the naloxone cannot continue to get bupe-only products.

Have you tried using GoodRx to see if you can get the generic any less expensive? Please check it out, they have saved people here money on bupe and other prescriptions.
https://www.goodrx.com/

Can you get your doctor to let you go every other month at least? It's a Schedule III medication, so a doctor can write 1 prescription with maximum five refills.

I hope this helps!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-05-2017), Thank You (04-04-2017)
Unread 04-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Brett

Thank you Nancy.
Great facts and advice. After two days on nalexone
I have a rash on my back. Back in 2006. I don't think there
Was a generic for either. So cost was no issue
Now there is a 5 dollar per pill cost difference
Both generics. I'm going to taper off. I can afford
It but I could use the money for my grandchildren
I will check out the link you sent. The one thing
I feel is so wrong is the huge per pill price difference
I had my gall bladder cut out last week along with
Pancreatitis. I'm no drinker. But I did have 2 beers
After work each day. I now know my diet was horrible
For my Pancreas. I'm 54. My aunt died from Pancreas
Cancer at 53. She never touched alcohol. I was in horrible pain
But refused opioids. Thank you for great facts

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Brett, one thing that worked for people who were allergic to the naloxone but whose doctors would not prescribe -tex was that they would wait for the tablet (or film) to dissolve and then spit out the 'leftovers'. That would minimize the amount of naloxone into the system because it has poor bioavailability sublingually and in the GI tract. That might be something for you to try.

I hope you recover from surgery quickly and completely. Congrats on the grandchildren!!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
down2nothing

Hey Brett,
Have you considered Zubsolv or Bunavail? Like you, I’ve been on buprenorphine long term now, (8 yrs.). I have had headaches and constipation much of the time and sometimes feelings of withdrawal while taking Suboxone. Recently after doing some research online, I learned that Bunavail had some major advantages over Suboxone. With less exposure to the GI tract of both naloxone and buprenorphine, thru advanced bioavailability techniques, side effects like the ones I’ve mentioned can be completely eliminated or greatly reduced. Within the last month after 8 years on Suboxone, I’ve switched to Bunavail. The difference is very noticeable. I have to admit that so far I am not experiencing headaches or feelings of withdrawal, and less constipation. I actually feel much better. I know your challenge is different as you are going from subutex to suboxone, but it is possible that either Zubsolv or Bunavail might be an improvement from suboxone for you.
-Good Luck-
-Patrick-
down2nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to down2nothing For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-06-2017)