Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
ccjohncc

Default Costs: Bupe is now only for the wealthy?

Hi Everyone

I live in Virginia Beach. I have been on Buprenorphine/naloxone 8-2, 1 per day for 3 years. My Dr retired and closed his practice. He took my Medicare insurance and my Part D covers the B/N with a 77.00 copay. My once a month visit copay to him was 13.89 and my therapist copay 19.50 twice a month. total being $129.89. He gave me a piece of paper with 4 referrals. 3 no longer taking new patients and the third wants 250 first visit 150 a week for next 3 weeks and 150 every 2 weeks next month. The first 6 weeks would be $1,000.00!! and that doesn't include the 77 for my prescription. I live on SSDI and I am expected to come up with $1,077.00. I have called already 20 places. All either want between 700 and 1,000 the first month or they are not taking new patients or they are not buprenorphine prescribers and don't know how they got on the list from either suboxone.com or SAMSHA.

Any tips or ideas much appreciated. I have 5 weeks of medicine left.
ccjohncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ccjohncc, welcome. Have you seen this thread with ways to find treatment?
http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...ad.php?t=21259

Unfortunately for the SAMHSA list, the doctors themselves are supposed to make changes; but they either don't know they can or just don't bother. It's really frustrating, as you know. When you're talking with these doctors' offices, do they know you are already in treatment and don't need an induction? Have you called your medicare provider to see if they can help find an in-network doctor?

How long have you been taking 8mg - for all three years? One thing to think about is perhaps seeing if you can reduce your dose to stretch your medication out while looking. You might do just as well with 6mg. It might be worth trying.

Some people have found doctors by calling the United Way referral line. Just dial 211.
http://www.211virginia.org/consite/

Others have asked their pharmacists if they know of any prescribers. And some others have called hospital doctor referral lines.

I hope this is helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-17-2016)
Unread 12-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
cnmt

I know make generic kinds also might be cheaper. Took me long time to find doc too pay 170 visit once month plus script w my good insurance. Keep looking can search online too. Some people drive hour or 3 get good doc. Pray for you wish you luck
cnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
robbdawg30

Keep looking and praying its gonna work out I'm going to do some resarch my self for you and also keep you in my prayers ....you got this
robbdawg30 is offline   Reply With Quote