Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
OVERCOMER

Default Addition Overcomer

I'm new to this. I got hurt in 1989, since then I have had five back surgeries. They put cages, rods, and screws, and they did a lot of fusions. Since my first surgery in 1990 I've taken everything from Lortab 10s to opana. I was addicted until 2014 when I started taking suboxone which helped me get off of the pain medication. I decided it was time to get help and my doctor which i appreciate very much, helped me to get off all the medication i was taken. I'm still in pain but i would rather not take the medications i was on before. if anybody else wants to talk just reply back.
OVERCOMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi OVERCOMER, welcome. Are you still taking Suboxone? If so, what dose and have you tried breaking up the dose and taking it every 4 to 6 hours? That's about how long the analgesic properties of bupe lasts. The caveat being that it helps for some types of pain, but not all pain.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-15-2016)
Unread 04-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
robbdawg30

That's awsome overcomer how long have you been clean now. I'm going on 4 yrs clean now I'm still in treatment and taking my suboxone yes still fill pain from time to time but the freedom felling is so much more worth it to me...great work keep it up...
robbdawg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to robbdawg30 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-15-2016), Thank You (04-24-2016)
Unread 04-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
OVERCOMER

thank you for replying back. yes I'm still taking suboxone, I was taking three a day but now I'm down to two. I take one during the day and one when I go to bed to help me sleep. It kinda helps me with my pain but it doesn't total take it away. On a scale from one to ten if my pain is an eight it will bring it down to five or six. Hope to hear from you again.
Unread 04-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
OVERCOMER

I've been clean for two years and three months. I have to accept that pain for me is a way of life now, but I would much rather have the pain then have the other problems that come along with addition. I'm still on suboxone which does help a little with the pain. Thank you for replying back hope you will again.
Unread 04-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERCOMER View Post
thank you for replying back. yes I'm still taking suboxone, I was taking three a day but now I'm down to two. I take one during the day and one when I go to bed to help me sleep. It kinda helps me with my pain but it doesn't total take it away. On a scale from one to ten if my pain is an eight it will bring it down to five or six. Hope to hear from you again.
Hi again, next appointment, think about asking your doctor if you can try splitting your day dose into two doses 4 hours apart and see if it helps with your pain. If it helps a little, taking it more often may give you more pain relief. With buprenorphine, lower doses help more with pain, but the effectiveness is only from 4 to 6 hours, as I mentioned. Might be worth trying.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 04-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
jimash55

Default Overcomer

Congratulations and it is always good to hear from a newcomer named Overcomer!! My name is Jimash55 and I have close to 6 ( maybe more) years in long term recovery and life has never been better. I had a 35 year. opioid addiction and was in and out of jails/ prisons most of my adult life. There is no big secret to this and if I could suggest onevthingbthat would be to bevtruevto yourself and remember at all times that you and your recovery comes before anything else....it took you a long time to get here so don't get well too quick.
There is a lot of good people on this page and tons of information so once again welcome and keep us posted... we care!
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jimash55 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-25-2016)
Unread 05-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
OVERCOMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi again, next appointment, think about asking your doctor if you can try splitting your day dose into two doses 4 hours apart and see if it helps with your pain. If it helps a little, taking it more often may give you more pain relief. With buprenorphine, lower doses help more with pain, but the effectiveness is only from 4 to 6 hours, as I mentioned. Might be worth trying.

Nancy
I went to get my prescription today but my doctor wasn't in so I couldn't talk to him about it.
Unread 05-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi OVERCOMER, can you call and ask? Or maybe just wait until your next appointment?

Nancy
Unread 05-25-2016, 01:07 AM   #10
Wrl78

this whole thing is hard enough without chronic pain. That makes it even tougher. I have delt with chronic pain myself with back surgeries from a car wreck.
Wrl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
Lavenderlove

Smile OverComer

I can totally relate to being on suboxone and having cronic pain its so hard having to deal with the addiction itself and then on top of it having the daily pain that really makes you want to turn to pain pills well i know atleast i do. Its a daily struggle. I have a bad back i have a herniated Disc, pinched nerve, sciatica, degenerative Disc plus MS. Its so hard, I must say that the suboxone controls my pain a lot more and better than the pain pills. I have been clean for 5-6 years now. Maybe you can possibly ask your Dr for a non narcotic form of pain med i know theres not much out there these days. My dr gave me meloxicam to use as a from of pain releaf its non narcotic its used to treat pain or inflammatio. It helps with swelling. Well hopefully your Dr will give you something to help with the pain or possibly ask him or her to up your dose if your in that much pain. or spilt your doses up yourself and dont tell your dr like if you take 2 a day do a half then 4 hours do another half then that leaves you 1 still to take if you need it.
Lavenderlove is offline   Reply With Quote