Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
sirslim

Default Northern and or central Kentucky Dr

I am trying to find a Dr that accepts Kentucky Passport state insurance. I am New to the area And haven't had much luck.
I need Subutex. Suboxone seems to have a bad reaction with my blood pressure which is already messed up.
I did find a Dr in morehead But he refuses to prescribe subutex even though I have explained my health situation and concerns.

Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.
sirslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sirslim, welcome. Have you seen this thread with ways to find treatment?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259

It might be difficult to find a doctor to prescribe Subutex. Where is your former doctor located? Is there any way s/he can send your records to the one in who is refusing to prescribe it for you? Or is there any way your former doctor can give you one last prescription with refills until you find a new doctor?

If push comes to shove, you may have to see that doctor and try Suboxone so he can see what it does. Also, some people who had adverse reactions to the naloxone were able to minimize or even eliminate those side effects by not swallowing any saliva while dissolving the medication and then spitting it out and rinsing their mouths out with water. Naloxone has very poor bioavailability sublingually, so that did help a lot.

But hopefully you won't have to do that and someone will post the name of a doctor for you.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
sirslim

Thank you Nancy.
I was told that they only prescribe it to pregnant women. And that is was state law. But after talking with the pharmacy and other people And my own research I can't find that law anywhere. My old doctor has retired and was in Ohio. Maybe it's an Ohio thing?
Doctors in Ohio will take my insurance but the KASPER law says I can't fill my prescription from an Ohio Dr.

I'm finally on the road to my freedom from addiction And now this?????
sirslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sirslim, I found the passport formulary for 2015 and it lists buprenorphine alone (pdf page 27) with needing a Prior Authorization, then it doesn't need a PA on page 30, but doesn't list it at all on page 38 where they list bupe with naloxone. I couldn't find any restrictions on not being able to prescribe the mono product

https://kyphp.magellanpharmacysoluti...Guide_full.pdf

Then there's this pdf by ASAM (American Society of Addiction Medicine) which doesn't list any restrictions on bupe alone.
http://www.asam.org/docs/default-sou...y.pdf?sfvrsn=6

May I ask who told you that you can't an Ohio prescription in Kentucky? I tried looking to see if there were any exceptions and couldn't find where it said that it can't be done. On the other hand, are you close to Ohio that you could see an Ohio doctor and fill the script in Ohio. Or would that be make it so your insurance wouldn't cover the script?

This is just a travesty. Some doctors will say it's a law that they can't prescribe -tex when it's their policy. Not law.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote