Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
grvthang

Default South Florida Shakedown

I have been taking Suboxone, 2mg daily for 7 seven years, under the care of a doctor in NYC. He charges me $50 per visit (he doesn't take insurance), once a month, and at each visit writes me a prescription for 30 doses. Periodically he has asked for urine tests, I have always come up clean.

I recently retired from my job and rented an apartment in Ft Lauderdale, FL for the winter (January, February, March). Before I left, I asked my doctor what I should do about my suboxone. He gave me a letter stating my dosage and that there have been no issues, etc., and said I should get a doctor down in Florida to supply me during my stay, and show him/her the letter.

I checked with 4 separate doctors now that my prescription is running out. Each one wants $200 for an initial visit, and $100 per visit every two weeks. In other, words, my first month would cost $400 in doctor's visits alone! This is a total shakedown and a disgrace to take advantage of people like this! I can see paying a little more, but 8X more?!

What a racket the doctors down here have going! Looks like I'll be visiting the local methodone clinic to see if I can buy some suboxone on the street - it'll be much cheaper than going to these quacks..
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi grvthang, welcome. Did you try the matching system? http://www.treatmentmatch.org to if anyone less expensive is available. Pricing in NYC is generally a lot less expensive than other places in the country because of the number of doctors certified there. So try the matching system, call a lot more doctors, you could even check with the methadone clinic to see if they provide Suboxone.

Since Suboxone is a Schedule III medication, 5 refills can be written on a prescription. Do you think your doctor would fax a prescription refill order if you asked him to? You'd have to call a local FL pharmacy and see if that's even possible first though.

Just wanted to throw those thoughts out in case they're helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-21-2015), Thank You (01-22-2015)
Unread 01-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
grvthang

Nancy, thank you so much for the information! I called my doctor, and he's being a total jerk about it (or so I feel) - after seven years without a problem ever, he can't write me a prescription and send it to me? He had the nerve to tell me I need to fly up to NY to visit him!

I already have that problem solved when I get back to NY; a friend I complained to back home says he has a psychiatrist who writes for 90 at a time. I'll drop this jerk I've been going to all this while if this is the level of trust (and help) I can expect from him.

Meanwhile, I'll try your valuable advice. Thanks again!
Unread 01-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi grvthang, wow, after 7 years he won't do that for you? Being completely cynical here, is he afraid of missing out on the $50 office visit? What if you mailed it to him or sent it to him paypal... In the meantime, to save on medication, have you tried skipping a day between doses or even alternating 2mg one day 1mg the next to conserve what you have until you find a solution?

Keep me posted!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
grvthang

Nancy, I can't believe what a snotty twerp he was when I spoke with him! When I told him what I faced down here, his answer was "Yeah, I know - they do it differently down there." Well, if he already knew that, shouldn't he have told me so I had some idea of what I was going to deal with (or accommodated me with a refillable script or a script for 90 days' worth)? How can you prescribe someone a 'maintenance' drug and not give a damn about what happens to them if they go on an extended leave?

But enough of my carrying on; as I said, I'm finding a new "provider" (or "pusher," which they're apparently no better than) when I return up north. I've already started cutting down, as you suggest, but I only have a few doses left anyway - since I had no idea about the racket that the doctors have going down here, I thought it would be simple to get another prescription, and waited until I was almost out before I started looking around.

Thanks again, Nancy, for your suggestions and concern.
2 Users Say Thank You to grvthang For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-22-2015), Thank You (01-22-2015)
Unread 01-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
manimal

i'm a bit late with this post I'm afraid. About 3 months ago we decided, and moved to Key Largo. I found a doctor in homestead who charges 200, and 150 thereafter. Once a month. I'm new to this; my first month. I got the 8/2 mg films. then, like an idiot I hit the pharmacy. Geez, you know the rest of that one. Been going back and forth with my insurance, and hopefully made little headway. If he'll switch to the tablets it'll go from several hundred bucks to 10 bucks. some difference huh? i sat down and did the math, and it would have been WAY WAY cheaper to book a flight halfway across the country, rent a car, go to the doctor, go to the pharmacy, and come back. My insurance would have been happy to pay for that. It would be so much cheaper just to go back to where I was. I'm doing all this voluntarily. No courts, no trouble, just me. anyway, if you would like the doctor's name send me a pm. I don't want to just throw it out there. Hope this helps. I'll stop now............
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi manimal, welcome. Yikes, I hope you get that straightened out with your insurance AND your doctor starts prescribing the $10 copay formulation.

Unfortunately, the only form of communication on Addiction Survivors is through posting. We're strictly anonymous and ask that no one post any personal identifying information. We found that people are more comfortable talking about things under the cloak of anonymity they may not otherwise talk about.

Nancy
Unread 01-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
manimal

i meant no harm. hoping to help.
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
i meant no harm. hoping to help.
Hi manimal, oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend or anything. I just wanted to let you know that so you wouldn't be waiting for a PM. I appreciate you helping!

I hope grvthang comes back to see your post and, if you want to post your doctor's name, we can have him post that he got it and I'll delete it. Up to you of course.

Nancy