Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
globie

Exclamation addiction to pain medicines

trying to get my life straight get off of all med but its hard I got on suboxone to help an it working .I HAD surgery about 4yrs ago an I just kept taking the meds cause IT would get ME sick real bad an I was going threw a lot of things to I guess I never saw it coming to me. Iam new to the site CAN anyone give any advise plz
globie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, welcome. For how long have you been taking Suboxone? Are you in therapy also?

Here's a link that has a lot of useful information:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=29151

Especially this link - it describes the phases of treatment:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23809

Please ask questions, again, welcome.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-02-2014)
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
globie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi globie, welcome. For how long have you been taking Suboxone? Are you in therapy also?

Here's a link that has a lot of useful information:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=29151

Especially this link - it describes the phases of treatment:

Please ask questions, again, welcome.

Nancy
I ben taking soboxone for 8 months an it helping me but I don't want to be on it far the rest of my life I was hook on lortabs far about 4yr an in needed to do something to change now I ben depress real bad things ben rough far me I just need someone to talk I got to get my life back
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
globie

Quote:
Originally Posted by globie View Post
I ben taking soboxone for 8 months an it helping me but I don't want to be on it far the rest of my life I was hook on lortabs far about 4yr an in needed to do something to change now I ben depress real bad things ben rough far me I just need someone to talk I got to get my life back
yes I am in the thearopy to
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, that's good that you're seeing a therapist. Have you talked with him/her about how depressed you are and was there any talk about maybe starting an anti-depressant? Sometimes opiates can mask depression and when people stop full opiates, the depression surfaces.

Do you have any face-to-face support such as family/friends or do you go to any groups like AA or NA? The more support you have, the better.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Thank You (12-09-2013)
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
globie

How LONG it take for u to tapper down off of sub I ben on it 8 months an it help me .at the time I was on the pain meds far a surgery an I got stuck on them meds I got bad anxiety then I was going throw a bad divorce I guest I u them meds to cope with my problem al ready ben have in anxiety already since I was young . I WISH I KNEW WHAT I WAS GETING MYSELF IN
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, it's pretty much an individual process when people taper. Some general rules - you have to be ready to taper; go slowly and don't be afraid to go back up if a reduction isn't tolerable; don't overthink it; exercise; make sure you have proper treatment for any depression, anxiety, etc.

This link has taper stories - both good and bad because things can be learned from all stories:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
globie

sorry I ben I ben away far awhile I ben working a lot . I ben doing pretty good on the sub but just need to stay positive an get my self on the road to recovery . I AM starting to talk to people an coming out an telling them this ant nothing to play with an got support from family an friends cause my live is better now then it was just got to start taper down off the sub an I was wounder how long it takes far someone to taper down off of sub without getting sick
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
Leo

Generally the best way of tapering is slow and steady. If you've got plenty of access then as a suggestion (only, cos I am not a doctor but have personal experience and am tapering myself now) and are in good health then cut your doses down by ten percent a month and you should not feel very uncomfortable. Certainly not 'get sick' as you put it.

Make sure you've got other things in your life straightened out. Especially depression. It's good that you are talking to people now cos keeping secrets makes us ill.

Best wishes

Leo
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
globie

Things r going good but I think Iam really to start tapering down I will set a goal an see if will work startin to go to the gym I get me a hobbie
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
globie

I just want to check in an say I am in the stage of bad depression don't n what it is got good job . but on the other side of things I been free for drugs almost one yr an I am happy think god I got away for all the negative people in my life but that just a start just gotta start work on the taper off of sob a I be happy I got a good dr that help me out I can talk to him about anything an he will listen
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, what dose of Suboxone are you currently taking and for how long have you been on that dose?

Have you been talking about your depression with your therapist? Is this a recent thing that's started?

Nancy
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
globie

Yea I Ben seen my dr far my anxiety I Ben having anxiety far 15 yr . But It's getting better .i Ben doing pretty good on the sob to just get in them depress stage from time to tine
Unread 02-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #14
MattC42286

Hi globie! I would just take it one day at a time and do not rush anything. Evetyrhing will be ok if you just trust. This site is full of wonderful people with great knowledge. Good luck!
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #15
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, good to hear your anxiety is getting better. Just make sure you keep talking with your doctor and therapist about that and your depression so you can keep it under control.

Thanks for checking in.

Nancy
Unread 02-05-2014, 04:18 AM   #16
Leo

Good that you have got rid of negative people/influences from your life! You wont find that here.

Leo
Unread 02-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #17
globie

Life is pretty good now I Ben clean almost a yr off the lortabs .the sub r helping me I just got to stay strong a just try a tapper down I Ben thinking hard about doing that anyone thinks it will be hard to do ? An what is the best way to try an see if I taper down how to not get sick
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #18
XounDi

Hello globie, I am happy for you that things are gone better and you starting to thinking about tapering down Soon i will also face those things, Everything in it's time

Max.
XounDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, the most important thing about a taper is that you have to be ready to be able to live both addiction free and medication free. The Phases of Treatment link is a good one to read:

As far as tapering, most people have the best success with a slow taper stabilizing in between reductions. It's different for everyone, so there's not really a 'plan' per se, but it's more about following your body and how you feel. Did you take a look at the taper thread I posted earlier? That has a lot of stories - good and bad - things can be learned from both. Here's the link again in case you need it:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678

This is also a good thread to read with a lot of things that worked for Mary and others:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16077

Nancy
Thank You (04-27-2014)
Unread 03-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #20
globie

I finding myself I doing better in life now then what I was doing a year ago I be a year this month that Iam clean off all pain pills . Tell anyone that ask me what I would of did different I tell them I didn't no what I was playing with but I got hook when I had surgery then I with through a bad divorce an I was depress an the dr stop give me the pill pain so I started geting them off the street an when I was on the pill I didn't care about nothing so I use them to cope with my prombles . But I spent a lot of money on them pill looking back i could of had a lot of money saved !
Unread 03-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #21
theswan

Hello Globie

It seems maybe you are being hard on yourself as if this mess was all your fault. Did you decide one day "I'll have surgery and by the way, afterwards I'll take too many pills and build up a tolerance to them" No you most likely did not. Chances are you are like me and many others. We are born with the brain wiring that makes it easier for us to become addicted-kinda like an alcoholic. (I am an alcoholic as well as having been dependent on opiate's) Most people can have a drink or two or even more and then put the bottle down-no sweat, no thought just stop drinking to go eat or whatever. Alcoholics once having taken a drink lose control over how much they drink and how long they drink. They did not "decide" they would lose control-it just happened!

Same with a pill. We start out being ok with it then the one or two pills becomes 3 and 4 pills and so on. We reach the point where we are getting sick or getting in trouble and we know the pills are to blame yet we talk ourselves into still taking them.
Somewhere, somehow we lose the ability to "choose" and instead become victims or slaves to our addictions/dependency We also have the physical part that means if we stop we suffer withdrawals.

So, no it is not your fault however now that you know about treatment, it is your responsibility to get well and do your best to not engage in behaviors that will lead us back to taking pills. We get on suboxone but also get help from professionals and/or peers-people like us who have recovered, We go to meetings or we go to counseling and we remain open and honest as we are able to be.

Leave the guilt and remorse behind they are harmful. We can fall into such remorse that we feel so sorry for what we did then we become full of pity for ourselves and get the "whats the use, I'm no good might as well get high" also known as the "F-its"
You know "this does not work so F it, I'm getting stoned etc"

Be nice to others and be as kind to yourself. You are trying to get well and this is a big step. Do not be in a "race" to get off the suboxone-your body and brain will let you know when they are ready to start a taper and once started, taper at a slow pace.

You are no better and no worse then anyone in recovery so do not judge yourself. Odds are you are a "garden variety" pill popper/addict/substance abuser/etc etc...Therefore you will be able to get well just like everyone else. Do not judge your recovery by others-take it slow and steady and you are going to be OK

God bless

Glen

By the way, I had a sponsor in AA who heard me give my life story in five minutes and he called me a "garden variety drunk" and man I was PO'd! lol fact is I was and am a garden variety sober alcoholic today but man o man, I wanted to be special! lol
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to theswan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-23-2014)
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #22
globie

Thanks I Ben reading a lot of people stories an they all ways got some one worst off then u .This site helping me a lot when I got off of pills I cut some long time friends out my life cause they didn't want to listen to me how I fill about being around people that use drug's I not perfect but I had to cause I was weak minded an I also help friends that was in my shoes an we talk about all the money we spent on pill's an what we could of had in life but the past is the past so let it be an move on I Ben working an saying to myself life getting better . Better thanks everyone that's telling me good time it means a lot
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #23
globie

Life got it ups an down but I trying to stay on top of everything now I n I will take me time to get back like I want things to be
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:50 AM   #24
MattC42286

Hey globie best thing i can tell u is to take it one day at a time. Recovery doesnt happen over night. Great group here for support. Good luck! MATT
One User Says Thank You to MattC42286 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-20-2014)
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #25
globie

Staying clean was the best thing I did .i doing good on the subs life is geting better far me cause I was really depress but I think it was the big change I made in my life because I was take lortabs from surgery then I was goin threw a divorce that's when I keep take them more an more till I made a move an got help an I read a lot about what the meds can do to u I was a different person on them lortabs now I don't get agg a lot like I use to I notice that a my friends tell me the Iam doing real good an looking better
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #26
XounDi

Hello very happy you are doing OK! Keep it up

Max
One User Says Thank You to XounDi For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-20-2014)
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #27
globie

Some times I look back an say what I got my self I wish I can go back in time an never took pills but it's was a big change to me an I am think about a lot now the money I spent I n I one day will be of the sub I just have to keep talking an I talk to everyone about my promble that I had with painkiller lost friends but I gain more better one an Iam doin it stay alway from all the wrong people I got my life back thank to all I read y'all post y'all post to me
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #28
XounDi

Globie, i came super close to losing my life... not even to speak about so called "friends" and a shit load of stuff But once i changed my approach to the way i see and live life, things changed in a way i can't couldn't even imagine i would have anything close to this Time is the best cure for addiction, sure it is a bit more complicated then that but once enough time passes things do get better even if you stay somewhat the same person, I wish you all the best in the future, stay safe and be well my friend.

Max.
Thank You (04-20-2014)
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:19 AM   #29
globie

Hi everyone been have a lot going on this week .lost my little cuz he was like a brother to me it got me thinking how short life is. But I am doing my thing in life an I change a lot since I started the promgram I think the one up stairs to see how far I came an now were Iam at .
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #30
MattC42286

Hi globie. If you are on suboxone and are still on meds thats ur first problem. U let the suboxone work and leave that other stuff alone. Muchhh better im telling you. Good luck to you. Matt
One User Says Thank You to MattC42286 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-20-2014)
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #31
globie

hi everyone i doing better i notice one thing about take in the sub i use to drink some what but not a big drinker but i no one of my friends i talk to an he was bad off on pill an beer now hes on sub he stop drinking he told me it helping him with two problems i talk to alot of people about my problems an i can say i be clean off all drugs an i no it takes time to move on with addiction so i take it one day at a time but life is way better far me now then a year ago
2 Users Say Thank You to globie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-13-2014), Thank You (04-13-2014)
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #32
XounDi

Good! i can say the exact same thing for me, way better then last year 100%
Thank You (04-13-2014)
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #33
globie

Hi everyone I am doing good I Ben doing real good an I no I will not ever go back on any pain pill i got my life right I n it will take me time but I fill that what I need an when Iam ready to take that step I will it will take me time an that's the best thing far me cause I was on a bad rd now am on the right one thank to the people that post stuff on hear that knows how it's is an the tell me good things to stay positive
One User Says Thank You to globie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-20-2014)
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #34
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, nice to hear that you're doing well and are continuing to improve your life! That's great!

Keep up the good work and thanks for checking in.

Nancy
Thank You (04-27-2014)
Unread 04-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #35
globie

Hi everyone I doing better an better but if I new that it was so hard to stop taking lortabs I would of not took them when I had my surgery I would of just took the pain I tell y'all that much but I was going threw a lot of thing at that time in my life but ant no one pecfect everybody makes mistakes in life . But I am doing better an one day I be off everything but I will just take my time an just do it when I ready an fill it's my time to shine but right now I still need help I n it will come in time
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #36
globie

Had a great day today an life is good an it's geting better an better
Thank You (04-29-2014)
Unread 05-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #37
globie

Hi everyone I am doing good living good an doing great my life is a lot better an I tell everyone one what I went threw an try to guyed some people I come aross that's on pain pills just to take them an I tell them it mite but fun to be high on them but it's so hard to get off them an they just messing up there life's . About three weeks ago they hired a guy at work an he is bad off on methadone I told him dude take a good look at yourself in the minor an look at yourself ! Poor dude ant made two weeks an they firer him I felt bad far him but it takes u as a person to make that step in life to change !! I told my boss I said I glad u let him go he said y I told him I was going to quiet because he would make my anxiety get bad I got away from all that I told him but I wouldn't get like take guy people didn't n till I told them an he told me the guy work there far six yrs an was a good worker then he got hook on them pills so they let him go an they gave him a new chances to come back but he ant change at all he said he did but he lied then the bad part he a good worker hopefully he get him self together .
Unread 05-17-2014, 04:24 AM   #38
Leo

Hi Globie

Great to hear you's doin well my friend. This is from all of us dudes in the UK. Well done that man! .

Thanks for sharing that very serious (and sad ) story of your work friend/colleague. It sure must have brought back memories for you.

But the main thing is that you used his experience to remind yourself (and us here on A.Survivors) of the dangers that we never realised were coming from our type of 'fun'.

It's so nice to hear that the boss gave him chances. It's good that more people are aware of this as an illness. I hope that you colleague finds a way to get straight and be given another chance.

But you must concerntrate on your recovery my friend, cos you deserve it.

We all deserve that! .

God Bless

Leo
One User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-21-2014)
Unread 05-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #39
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, that's really great that you're using your experience to show people that there is a better way of living than stuck in the mires of addiction.

Hopefully that guy will get help, but like Leo said, you concentrate on your recovery and keep up the good work.

Have a good weekend!

Nancy
Unread 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #40
globie

Yea I did my strength to tell my coworker what I told him people don't think what they are doing till it's to late an the problem get to bad !! I new I had to get help but i was hiding my problem an no one new what I was doing till I told them but I can tell y'all that I was taking them to speed an because I was going threw a lot at that time but I never got like he was nobody new that I was takin them but Iam happy an doing good . I got a ? How u reply to people that post to u any one can help me out
Unread 05-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #41
globie

Hi everyone I doing great ! Look like I am one that people come to far advice people ask me how I just come an talk about my problem . I tell them it's good far me to talk about I am not a shame to say what I was doing to my life I tell them I taught is was fun takin them pills an speeding my but of till I seen myself going down the drain an spending a lot of money ! Now that I doing good I got my money save an geting up there . To everyone don't be a shame to speak your mind trust me it help to talk to everyone I n it helps me a lot !! Hope everyone has a good weekend
Unread 05-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #42
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, that is so good to hear that you're doing great and that you are helping so many people! That must make you feel so good to be able to do that and be a role model for them.

As for your question about replying to people who post, you can do it how you're posting now. Or you can go to the post that you want to reply to and use the green Quote button at the bottom right of each post. That will put the post in quotes, and you can respond in the same block underneath it. I hope that helps, let me know if you need more explanation.

Hope you have a good weekend also!

Nancy
Unread 05-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #43
globie

Will having a great weekend my little girl here with me far the summer 😄 my life is doing good !! A note to everyone ant no one perfect life is hard but life is what u make of it u got your bad times your good times but all in all staying a way from the pills it my number one goal this site is helping me a lot I open up more an more to people so don't be scared to talk what u fill inside it helps a lot
Thank You (05-26-2014), Thank You (05-26-2014)
Unread 05-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #44
theswan

Glad things got better for you

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #45
globie

Hi everyone having a good day feeling great had the flu all week n Iam allot better talk about it was rough . I still on my a game staying away from negative people .an around positive people that i stay around now that's can talk to me about things good positive things so y'all just keep y'all heads up an life is good everyone have a great day
Thank You (05-26-2014), Thank You (05-27-2014)
Unread 05-27-2014, 04:02 AM   #46
MattC42286

Hi globie. Nothing in this area of life is fast. You have to make good choices in life. Sometimes it wont be the easiest or most popular choice but it will be the best choice. Cant make people do what u want them to do. Sometimes its better to show them how to be and maybe some of you will rub off onto them!
Unread 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #47
globie

Doing great some what but I am still on the right track just Ben busy working a lot but by far I am feeling great I am staying positive
Thank You (06-21-2014)
Unread 06-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #48
NancyB
Administrator

Hi globie, nice to hear you're doing well and staying positive. Keep up the great work!

Nancy
Unread 06-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #49
globie

Hi everyone I ok how about y'all I Ben busy work a lot an staying positive an try to change my trade the work I am doing its geting to me I Ben depress an Stressed out with the job I Ben doing my trade far 13 yrs times far a change in the work I do but I can say on the bright side I made I big step off of pills an never go back to that route again so y'all stay positive an anyone can do it thanks
Thank You (06-23-2014)
Unread 06-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #50
globie

Hi everyone I Ben doing good my life is good but it ant perfect but I can say I will never go back to drugs again that a promise I made to myself so don't let no body put u down because I tell everybody I meet I had a problem with pain killers an they ant nothing nice to mess with it may be good to get high but u pay far it as time goes an get hook on it so say n to the pain pills r any drugs