Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
jeffrey1

Default can a doctor just cut you off

Im constantly worried my doctor will just cut me off without tapering me off can he do that? Do I have any recourse? I have been on the program for four years. After I got off the opiates I found the subs work very well for my arthritis and I'm in no hurry to stop. I'm just worried about getting cut off and sick. Any advice or suggestions?
jeffrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffrey1, welcome. Did you sign any type of treatment contract with him? If you're constantly worried about it, have you thought about talking with your doctor about it?

Legally, a doctor can do that, but ethically it is totally wrong, IMO.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
julie48

That is definitely a rational fear, but unlikely to happen. First, your doctor attended class about suboxone to become certified and knows about induction/tapering. Second, you have been on it four years and he has given you no indication of taking you off. When you see him at your visits and he asks how you're doing, tell him the suboxone helps so much with the pain and you are grateful for that. Just occasionally plant the seed. I have been on subs over three years and my doctor has no intention of pulling me off. I just tell him how I am doing at each visit and that my pain level is good due to the subs. He did tell me at my visit two weeks ago the DEA was in his office checking records, etc., and although everything was fine, I had to do a urine drop, the first one ever with him! They just want to make sure you are taking the subs and not selling them. All was good. Don't worry so much and as Nancy said, discuss with your doctor how well you are doing and if you can stay on subs as long as needed? Some are on them for years and years, even life. Good luck. Julie
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
TIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey1 View Post
Im constantly worried my doctor will just cut me off without tapering me off can he do that? Do I have any recourse? I have been on the program for four years. After I got off the opiates I found the subs work very well for my arthritis and I'm in no hurry to stop. I'm just worried about getting cut off and sick. Any advice or suggestions?
I'd strongly recommend discussing this with your doctor and getting a straight answer from the doctor. It will be such a relief if you find out that your doctor has no intention of stopping your treatment. The stress of not knowing could hold back your progress.

If your doctor does cut you off, you might try the Butrans patch. It's a buprenorphine patch approved for pain that ANY doctor can prescribe.

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
gotoffmdone

I would say the answer is yes to the cutting off part. They can do about whatever they want. I am not sure if you would have any recourse, it would probably depend on why. If he just stopped giving you Sub because in his opinion it was time for you to no longer take it there would definitely be punative damages, I just don't know if the legal system would grasp your pain and suffering. When it comes to treating addiction the legal system is pretty far behind. Lots of judges do not even see addiction as a disease and/or a healthcare issue. If they did the jails would not having people sleeping on the bathroom floor due to lack of space. In any event and regardless the reason one would think the Dr would discuss ways to taper and help you do that, or give you enough meds until you could find another Dr. Be-it Methadone clinics or Sub Drs, even a dirty screen for opiates would not get you cut off the first time or maybe even the second. They may just see the need to adjust your meds. What would get a person kicked off a program quicker than anything would be two things. Missed appts or drug screens that showed the absence of the drug your supposed to be taking. They may take that as a person not needing a taper because of their presumption that a person may be doing something with their meds besides taking them. Those are just examples. And I am not for a second assuming any of those pertain to you.

But if you have followed protocol and been a good patient, I would think wds would fall under pain and suffering. Whether you had a legal recourse or not would depend on how much money you would be willing to give your lawyer to take the case. Your word against a Drs. Guess who would most likely come out on top in that one, especially when addiction is the issue. Even your lawyer, unless you knew him and he you well, would be skeptical IMO.

In terms of Drs cutting me off, it has never happened on Sub but I was going to a walk-in clinic before getting on Sub. The owner of the clinic had another Dr that would work there on Thursdays. At that time, I had moved 100 miles from my regular PCP who had been giving me my Methadone following a year long stint at a pain clinic. I was out of Methadone and rather than drive to the Dr 100 miles away, I went into that walk-in clinic to see if I could get some Methadone to hold me over for the weekend until I could get back to my PCP. I knew it would be a longshot but I felt I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. If I did not get the Methadone I would not pay the office visit. My time is just as valuable as theirs. A Dr may think I am paying for their time but I do not see it that way. I am paying them for a service. I do not pay a grocery store for the priviledge of looking for an item they may be out of. That is how I see some Drs. Often times it will depend on their personality and how they choose to treat me when saying no.

I figured it would be a longshot but I happened to go on a Thursday when the owner was not there. I had no idea I had just increased my odds by 100 percent. I saw an older Dr that was retired but still working a few days a week in clinic settings. That was prior to the days of walk-in clinics being staffed soley with NP's or PA's. To my surprise, when I asked the DR about getting some Methadone to hold me over(I took a printout from my pharmacy to him so he could see I had been taking Methadone as that is a bit of an unusual request)he asked me how many I needed. In my experience, when a Dr asked me what has worked for me for pain in the past or how many do you need, those questions has always been a good sign from the perspective of getting what you need/want.

I told him I needed about 4 of the the 40mg diskettes to hold me a day till I could get back to my DR. He obviously misunderstood because he wrote me a script for 120. He had to think I meant 4 40mg diskettes per day. So when he said, let's see, you need 4 a day. That comes to 120 a month. That is what he wrote and that is what I filled.

About a month later I went back on a Tuesday not knowing about the Drs schedule. The owner was there. He was one and irritated person. I am not a psychologist but you could tell this guy had some issues and a complex or two. The one I picked up on was the complex of control and power. His staff seemed scared of him. His office was rarely filled with patients. And it wasn't because he did not give controlled drugs.

That clinic has long been shut down, as has the other clinics he owned. The reason, trading scripts to females for sexual favors.

In my case I told him I wanted to get a refill of my Methadone. He said we do not give that here. Then I showed him the bottle with the other Dr's name on it. His faced turned red and told me that i would have to come back Thursday when the other DR would be there. So that is what I did every month for a year. Then after I had been getting all that Methadone from that clinic for 11 months, I went back on a Thursday. I realized when I saw the owner in the back that it was going to be an interesting visit. The nurse told me the other Dr had to be off but would be back tomorrow. She said you can come back then. I started to leave but then I thought after getting Methadone for 11 months from that very clinic, surely the owner would write my refill or tell me to come back like he had before. He had not remembered me from only that one time alomst a year earlier when he did tell me to let the other Dr write my Methadone.

So when he asked me in his usual gruff tone what i was there for, I told him. Again, he said we do not give Methadone here. I showed him the bottle and asked him if he had my chart in front of him. I told him I had been getting the same script for 11 months from that place. He said the Dr wasn't supposed to be writing for that. I tried telling him he knew about it early on and told me to keep coming back to that other Dr that he did not write for it. And now after 11 months he was going to tell that Dr no more Methadone is to be prescribed. He said I can give you some 10mg Perocets to help with wds but it probably will not help all that much. By what he said, I no longer had the option he first gave me of seeing the other Dr the next day, whereas had I just walked out and come back the next day all would have been fine. It was the way he talked to me that lead me too tell him he did not have to be such an asshole. His face got blood red. He wrote the Percocets and I cannot recall whatever happened to them. I knew they would not help so I just went back to my PCP 100 miles away every month until I got on Sub.

Even though I had only seen that Dr two times for a few minutes I knew his type. The next week I picked a day I knew he would be there to go and get a copy of my chart. I had a feeling what would happen and i was right. The staff up front took a liking to me because I did not care to stand up to that son of a...I walked up to the window and asked it they could give me a copy of my chart. HIPPA laws dictates, or maybe just regular law, that me and the Dr has access to my records. That I have to sign to have them sent elsewhere. But I either get a copy of my chart in total or they have to give me a summary of my medical care I received there including diagnosis and scripts that were written. That way I could take my chart to another Dr if i chose too. The nice thing about that is i would not have to go to another Dr and have them have me sign a release form then get my chart faxed to them. Taking a copy of your own chart is the easiest.

But knowing the butthole Dr that owned the clinic they way I did, or perceived him as being, even after only seeing him twice for a few minutes, I knew when I walked in to get a copy of my chart he would try and pull a stunt to show who was in charge. And he did not disappoint. When I walked up to the window the Dr was in an exam room. I asked the lady at the window what I needed to do to get my chart. She told me to stand right there and she would have it copied within a minute or so. She ssaid there would be no charge. I told her i could pick it up the next day and she said no I will have it in no time. As she came back to the window to staple the papers together, the owner/DR/ sexual devient-predator/ came out of the exam room at the same time. When he saw me standing at the window he pulled the girl off to the side and whispered to her asking her what I was wanting. I heard her say he just wants a copy of his chart which is something they do daily for somebody. That is when he asked me if i had found another Dr. I said well really that is none of you business but no I haven't. My chart is for when I do find one i will not have to sign a release and rely on you guys to fax it. He said the chart belongs to us(actually he said it belonged to him). I said yes sir I am well aware of that, hence my word copy. I told him I wasn't expecting him to hand me my chart just a copy of it. And as far as your office policy is concerned, you just made that up, else the lady would have told me and would not have immediately copied it upon my request and have my chart lying right there in front of me for the taking. He said when you find another Dr we will send it to them. That is when I told him I could have come in any day to get my chart but I chose today because I knew you would behave this way. That you are so transparent it is pathetic. I said maybe you do not want another Dr knowing you write Methadone here at this place. I told him I never expected to get my chart even though by law I am entitled to it or a summary of it. I will not repeat the name I called him just before leaving the office. The girls had a smile on their face but also a bit of a stunned look. The Drs blood pressure went up at least 3 times normal, at least that was what his blood red face showed.

I probably could have had a recourse cutting me off methadone the way he did after a year. I do not have a violent bone in my body but the recourse I wanted had nothing to do with a lawyer. I did ask a lawyer before I went if I was entitled to a copy of my medical records and he told me yes. I could have sueed for them and the Dr even in a smart ass tone of voice told me to get a lawyer once he told the girl not to give me that copy of my chart.

Karma exist and I knew it. That is why I was not at all surprised when the state padlocked all his clinic doors. I did not know at first it was for trading sexual favors for scripts but it didn't matter. He was just a negative person and treated everyone as less than. The script for sex was about power and control. But I hope he traded his DEA number for an inmate number.

I have not lived here long but this town has been something else. There was another Dr I went to a few times prior to my Methadone days. The most he would ever give me was 30 Lortabs at once. He was caught in an actual TBI sting where an undercover female officer went in posing as a new patient. She had this DR on tape talking about sex for drugs. He was smart enough to stay away from Class II's, it was mostly sex for Xanax or some other "nerve" pill. Apparantly he touched her as he had so many other women and was reported for it. That is what lead up to the TBI undercover(or under gown) sting. That Dr decided to fight it in court at trial(intelligence does not equate to common sense). I guess he was hoping to get some of his female, non complainent patients/fans on the jury.

He was found guilty and served about 17 months in federal prison and lost his liscense. I am not sure in such cases if, after so much time and counseling, he could even get his liscense back. I know he probably would not get his DEA number reactivated. Come to think about it, I am not so sure a convicted felon can even hold a professional liscense, especially of that sort. Since it was adults, I wonder if he had to register as a sex offender. I see him at the grocery store every now and then and he is but a shell of himself. Boy did he waste some school time. He may have been the type to get in the Sub business, simply for the cash.

The weirdest thing that has happened regarding a DR around here had to do with a long time physician in this area. He was in his 70's when this happened. He left his house and ran over what he said he thought was a limb in his driveway. Apparently his driveway his lined with trees. He went to the store and as he was returning home he turned into his driveway headed for the garage. He ran over that very same limb a second time. Only it wasn't a limb he had ran over backing out then puling back in. It was his elderly wife. He had ben drinking and when he realized what he had done, either it was a buddy of hisor a relative, but whoever it was, tried sobering him up so his blood alcohol count would go down before calling the cops. He finally made the call hours later to the police. The medical examiner could tell she had been there a while before the cops were called. They also could smell the alcohol. I cannot recall if he tested over the limit or not.

He went to trial. The DA charged him I believe with vehicular manslaughter, not vehicular homicide or negligent homicide. Cant recall if they charged him with DUI but my guess is they did hence the other charge.

I can see backing up over a body when it was dark if the person who got run over had fainted and fallen or was in some way incapable of yelling out. If they thought he had committed murder they would have presumed he did something to put her on the ground unconscience, and that was not the case or so it seems. I am not sure how she came to be in the position as that of a limb in her own driveway after dark. Maybe he back into her and knocked her to the ground and, at her age, she could not then move. He just claimed he had assumed he backed up over a limb.

Where I get confused is how in the hell with his headlights shinning towards her on his way back from the store when pulling in his driveway, how he did not see her at that point. And, given he had been hitting the sauce quite heavily, how in the world did he manage to follow the exact same path going foward as he did backing out. If I assumed I had run over that size limb in my driveway, I would have gotten out and moved it the first time. But that's just me. But I would not have been hitting the sauce and hammered out of my mind at 70 and decided I best go to the store.

I have run over limbs before but never a body so I could not compare the two but I would think they don't compare at all. I guess if you are drunk all things are perceived as being equal or there is no perception at all, never mind reality.

Personally you would have to be drunk or have dementia one, not to have purposely run over your spouse of 50 years. Not once but twice while she lay in the exact same spot. So I guess that could be a defense. But anyway, this Dr probably delivered every person on the jury when they were born. I am certain he made house calls many moons ago and everyone knew him. He became a Dr when being a Dr was its own reward and specialty. Before the days of calling an orthpedic clinic and being asked if it is your hand, shoulder, kneee, back, foot, etc... because your answer determines who your appt is with. Like calling an ear, nose and throat DR and being asked which ear or nostril.

I dare say the jury in the county where I now live when admonished by the judge not to discuss the case amongst themselves or others, had no clue what admonished meant and talked about it first thing every night amongst family while eating their beens and cornbread.

The Dr was aquitted of all charges. No drinking and driving, no running over his spouse, not once, but twice, and last but not least, causing her death. She may not have been dead the first go around but may have laid there in pain with broken bones while he went grocery shopping. Since it was dark and they live on quite a bit of land no one would have heard her plea for help assuming there was one. Then he may have caused her death on his way back in. I find that whole incident fascinating. How does a guy in his 70's who's blood is staurated with, most likely scotch, and maybe a pill or two, follow the exact same path backing out of his driveway as he did pulling back in.

There surely was a case to be filed, but the jury in this county listening and sitting in judgement of a Dr who has treated and/or delivered most everyone in the county or at least those on the jury, listened but probably did not hear a word, and the case that was filed by the DA was placed in file 13 by the jury. My guess is they did their deliberating the very instant the judge told them to go back in the room to deliberate. I doubt half of them even sat down.

If it wasn't so tragic what happened, it would be a comedy. The only family of the victim that was in court, was the family of the defendant.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
jeffrey1

Default counseling

Thanks everone for the advice on the doc cutting me off. There is a new doctor where I have been going I he wants me to seek counseling or he might cut me off. I told him I travel alot and it is hard for me to physically go anywhere so the receptionist gave me the info for this website. Does this qualify for counseling? I would appreciate any input anyone has. I'm trying to play by the rules I have passed the few drug test that I have been given
jeffrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffrey1, this site is considered peer support not counseling. This is helpful in explaining the differences:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/do...rvBrochure.pdf

Did the doctor specifically say counseling or did he say peer support? You might want to give the office a call and ask what they do mean.

If they do required counseling, you could look into telepsychiatry and see if you could find a therapist to do that when you're able.
http://www.telepsychiatry.com/

Hope that's helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
CarolinaMommy

I just want say that a doctor to just cut you off without warning or reference in my opinion is just rude and unprofessional but they are out there. I am personally in that very position of being cut off and it just happened even though the doctor, who i have been seeing for 5 1/2 yrs and the doctor who i began treatment with gave me my normal 30 day prescriptions and scheduled next appointment. I had no clue whatsoever that thar very day he typed out a letter discharging me and he had couldn't give me any referrals. He just said to contact my insurance and see if they can refer me somewhere. I was shocked and am still scared. He said in the "certified" letter that he could no longer see me because i was constantly late. First let me add some details. I live in Nc, and was living in MD where the doctor is and have been traveling back to Md once a month to see him. I didnt have a problem with it because my family is in MD. So for the past 4 yrs everything was going the way it would have if i still lived in MD. Well the last 2 months i have had issues with transportation. Because of that, i was 15 minutes late the 1st time, no problem. Next appointment had something personal make me 3 hrs late but i called and receptionist said its fine come in when you can and he will see you in between other patients. So i did and was there around 2-3 hrs until the receptionist said he is just to busy so here are your prescriptions, see you in 4 wks. When i came home 5 days later I got a certified letter from the doctor personally discharging me for them 2 incidents. The letter said constant lateness but it was 2 times. So im now ib a position that ive feared the entire time ive been in suboxone treatment. I also must add that since ive been in NC, i have tried to find another doctore so traveling to MD wouldn't be a must every month and would be just to visit and have had no luck with any provider searches,
samshas website, buprenorphine wesite, suboxone website etc... I guess im screwed.
CarolinaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #9
julie48

Being late two times is no reason to cut you off. Are you paid up, do you run out early (your subs), have you given them attitude. I do believe you, not that it matters, but something sounds very strange. This is not normal. A sub doctor knows what can happen by cutting off a sub patient. I would call them and ask what happened, explain why you were late and if they would reconsider. If everything you say is as it is, they should reinstate you. This is new to me. I have been on subs three years with same doc, but I have never missed an appt. or been late. I'd travel to the ends of the earth if necessary to keep my life and sanity in tact. Good luck. Julie
One User Says Thank You to julie48 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-18-2013)
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi CarolinaMommy, welcome. Yikes, sorry to what happened. Did you see this thread with different ways to find treatment? Maybe there's something in there that you haven't tried, including the matching system?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259

Also, since certified physicians do not have to be publicly listed, think about calling your local hospital referral line, addiction specialists in the phone book and even asking pharmacists if they know of anyone.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-18-2013)
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
CarolinaMommy

I know it sounds strange. The entire time i was seeing the doctor I have not missed any appointments, been late, giving them attitude or vice versa, always did what i was asked and even had him reschedule on me because of snow. Im just as shocked as anyone reading this. Heck I even went as far as thanking him for changing my life for the better when 1 yr past but that was 4 1/2 yrs ago. My husband told me to call or email and ask why or uf they'd give me another chance too but im not the type to do that. I feel that if he let me go that he wouldn't treat me the same anymore and the entire office would look at me differently. He does know what just stopping suboxone will do because his office has bent over backwards for me in the past to make sure that wouldn't happen. So my only guess as to why hed just let me go like he did woud be that im in a different state, 345 miles from me to be exact or hes in some trouble and just giving me a head start. Ive been on treatment match since 4/03/13 and have had one contact that is just way out of my price range, im on an extreemely fixed income and 1 that im going to call and another at a clinic. I just want to see a psychiatrist like ive been doing and do my counseling and follow up in one visit but it doesnt look like theyre in this state. I hate to say it but i think im going to end up in the hospital if i dont find a doctor in the next 3 days which is 1 because most all doctors are closed weekends. Oh and i forgot to mention that ive never run out of any of my meds before they were due for refill and they have never been "stolen". I say that because ive heard and read stories about people lying to get more and to me thats not being in treatment. Thats just chasing. If i didnt answer or make something more clear im sorry, my heads not in the right place right now. But thanks for the advice. Maybe ill get lucky here soon. I may even have to consider another doctor in MD again. Ive been going up there the past 4 yrs anyway but i litterally have 6 days left and its getting scarier as each day goes by.
It sucks being used to one way and not being able to find it like that anywhere else.
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
CarolinaMommy

Ive asked the pharmacist with no luck and dont even know wher to find a hospital referral line. But one doctor that did contact me is in wake forest baptist medical/brenners childrens hospital. Awesome hospital and that is the one im calling. Maybe itll be THE ONE. My daughter had surgery there for patent ductis arterious and pyloric stenosis and i couldnt have been any more pleased with the service etc..
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
julie48

Well, that's great. Maybe that doctor who cut u off had the DEA come in and he got spooked. The DEA was just at my docs office a couple of weeks ago, but there was no problem. You say you have six days left, can you possibly cut your dose in half to stretch it to 12 days, as the half life is long and hopefully by then you will have gotten a doctor. Just a thought. Julie
Thank You (04-18-2013)
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
2years

Hey carolinamommy, I live in South Carolina and see a doctor in North Carolina , I know of 2 if your interested. Neither of then take insurance but they are very reasonable.
2years is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to 2years For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-19-2013), Thank You (04-18-2013)
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
julie48

I think that is great 2years. Good luck CM. I think your doctor cutting you off is not only unprofessional, it is also unethical. (Maybe not by mandatory ethical standards, but definitely by aspirational ethics). One of the five standards of ethics we are to up hold as practitioners (docs, counselors, etc.) is called, nonmaleficence, which means to do no harm to our clients/patients. He is causing you great mental anguish, and possibly physical if you can't find a doctor, which I have faith you will. This guy needs to be reported!! I am praying for you and please, please let us know what happens. I wish you were here in Illinois!! I have a great doc who is just AWESOME. BTW: If anyone is from Illinois and needs help or knows of someone who does, please let me know, my sub doctor is top of the line!! Takes insurance, is reasonable if you don't have insurance, is so empathic and caring. Just wanted to put that out there. Good luck CM. Julie
Thank You (04-19-2013)
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
gotoffmdone

If there are any Drs reading this, kindly respond as to why a colleague of yours would discharge someone for being late and just cut them off of a medication that very few Drs can prescribe, and if you don't take may be sick with wds whcih could cause a person to seek out a solution that could easily undo and and all hard work and results that got you to where you are today. I mean do they, the Drs, give a damn about their Sub patients when it comes right down to it.

Drs know there is a great chance the won't have long to wait to fill your spot with a new patient. But, sadly, from the person's perspective that was let go, the reverse is anything but true. In a certified letter (the cowards way out IMO), the make it sound as if just finding a new goose who can write scripts for that golden Sub egg is as easy as them finding a new patient. Which, if you are on the receiving end of treatment, you know that not to be nowhere near the case.

In the past 17 years I have seen three Drs. Two were Sub script providers and the other one my PCP since 1986. I have always been early for my appts. But never have seen my Dr at my scheduled time. I have never even been called back at my scheduled appt time. And you know the Dr is not going to be in the exam room waiting on you when you are called back.

As it concerns my non Sub PCP, I have even been scheduled for what was to be her first appt of the day. I have been called back at my scheduled time but the Dr had nver made it to the office at that point. She is very thourough with her patients but my God, if you have a scheduled appt anywhere near or after 10am you may as well plan on being there the vast majority of the day, most of it sitting in her exam room once you get called back. You can hear her in rooms down the hall working her way towards you.

The message is not lost on her having a fake skeleton sitting in one of her waiting room chairs. I pinned a post-it note on it once asking how much longer will it be till I see the Dr. Also, and more confusing is what they have written on their window when you walk in. It is very ironic that they have sign posted that says if you are more than 15 minutes late for you appt we will need to reschedule your appt. That's funny. I have never sat in her lobby less than an hour and roughly the same once called back. Yet if I am 15 minutes behind time getting there they would want to reschedule me. They would just stick my chart in between the person who had an appt before me and the one whose appt was behind mine. Fiften minutes meant nothing, even if first on the list.

One day I had an appt at 4:45pm. My exam room door had been closed but as it was approaching 7pm I decided to open it and glad i did. All of a sudden the lights started going off and the staff and Drs were headed out the door. now mind you I did not walk back to the exam room on my own. I was escorted by a nurse, weighed and had my BP taken. My very thick chart originated in 1986 was even placed in that slot on the wall next to the door, or it was on the door. Yet no one noticed it when I walked by even with those little red, green and yellow indicators sticking out showing there was a patient to be seen sitting in that room.

I am glad I opened the door because the last person that walked by was my Dr. She seemed shocked to see a patient still waiting to be seen and heard at 7pm. She was about to set the alarm and head home. She came in the room and I think she apologized if I can recall correctly. But without a doubt that is the fastest I had gotten out of one of her exam rooms after she walked in. My script for Methadone was written and out the door i went. I arrived for my 4:45pm appt at 4:30pm. Almost three hours later I saw the DR for less than a minute to get a script, the length of time it took her to write it. Had they all left and I had been the only one there, the cops would have assumed I had either broken into that place or hid until they closed. To get what?

My very first Sub Dr only saw patients every Wednesdays after 3pm. He used to work at that walk-in-clinic and once he got the job as Medical Director of a large hospital in Knoxville he kept teating his Sub patients. This was one guy who was involved with Sub for all the right reasons. He saw patients who were stable every other month. He charged $25 per visit which came down to $12.50 a month. He allowed one dirty drug screen for opiates.

He forgot that we had discussed my hernia surgery. He had told me to come by his office and pick up a script ofr Perocets to take five days leading up to surgery and to stop the Sub. He handled all my pain med issues. Well he forgot to leave the Perc script for me. He had to go out of state to Texas for a convention. About three days prior to me surgery he sent me an email from his hotel room in Texas asking me where to call in 30 10mg hydrocodone. I gave him my pharmacy number and he took care of it. It makes a patient feel good when you know the Dr is thinking of you despite the fact you are not right in front of him after already having paid. This guy was a rare brred in deed. I cannot count the times he told me how he took a little grief from the new Sub Drs for him charging so little. They said it made them look a bit greedy and patients were questioning their cost given their knowledge of his. With him, I would usually pay my money and would be called back by the Dr himself without ever sitting in the lobby.

The third DR I have seen in 17 years is my present Dr. I am always on time but rarely seen at my appointed time. But they do not have a late policy unless it is real late. I changed my appt once a week earlier from a Friday to a Thursday. My appt was at 3pm. I had forgotten I had changed it so it was 3pm on the dot when I went to leave for the Dr. For some reason my battery was dead. By the time I had my car started with the help of my neighbor, it was 3:20pm when I pulled into the Dr''s office. There was not a single car in their lot that I could see including the Dr's. I was surprised the door even opened. That place is usually full on Thursday but that afternoon it wasn't. When I walked in I saw the office mgr sitting at the desk where they take up the money. She said she assumed I had forgotten my appt because i was never late. But even though the Dr had already left, she told me she was going to send in my scripts. When I asked her howm much I owed she told me nothing since I did not see the Dr. Then she made me an appt for the following month.

I would call that rare in the field of Sub treatment wouldn't you? But it helps to know the ofice mgr outside of work. Not as in socializing but in knowing her from the ballfield. I head the baseball league as far as umpires go where I live. Her husband coaches a team that her son plays on and she is always there. At least there are four nights a week she knows I stay out of trouble related to drugs. That doesn't mean I stay in her's or the other parent's good graces. I call it as I see it and there are times we see things differently. They will not allow me to have a seeing-eye dog on the field that I can appeal my calls too.

wayne

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
julie48

Great point Wayne, though my sub doctor is awesome and he is also my GP he has never taken me on time, and I do mean never. So what is the big deal if a patient runs a little late. I don't run late because I want to get my name in, and I don't mind the wait because he is so awesome, but I agree, not too many doctors see a patient on time anyway!!
And if I was ever late, he could care a less anyway. Just more waiting time for me is all it would be!!! As Wayne said, if there are any doctors on this forum, can you explain these doctors unprofessional, unethical behavior. I don't believe you can as there isn't one! Julie
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
CarolinaMommy

2Years- yes i am interested but how would we talk? I dont know much about that on this site and havent seen a PMm button. Thank you though.can i put my email address on here. Lecksiesmommy13 at gmail dot com. I have had no luck at all and have stretched my meds as far as i can. All the contacts on treatmentmatch havent been any help and one was bogus. He isnt even there anymore. I dont think tha doctors actually look over th application. I put in the comment section and the medication ssection what exactly i was prescribed yet they still contact me even though they dont prescribe anything but suboxone. I know my case is frowned upon being on suboxone, alprazelam and adderal but ive been 100% compliant the entire time with no screw ups except being late 2x. Im sick to my stomach over this. Im beginning to loose faith in sub treatment. If 5 1\2 ys isnt proof that my treatment has worked than what else will.
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
CarolinaMommy

After reading some more replies- the doc that discharged me never seen me on my scheduuled time either. Matter of fact in my 32 yrs of life i dont ever think i was ever seen at my schheduled time for anything. Lol yet i was late 2x in 5 1\2 yrs with the suboxone docttor and he just tosses me to the dinasours. I have to admit it kinda hurt my feelings. I hope karma gets him but not leaving his other patients without another doctor. I have one day left and maybe Saturday n sunday and its got me in such a freaked out mess im not sure what to do. Im scared at what is going to happen especially with a 3 1/2 yr old to take care of. My husband has ti work all weekend too so he would help if not for work but i hope it doesnt get to that point. Thank yu all for you honest opinions and advice. Atleast i know now im not the only one who thinks my old doc was completely wrong for what he did.
I really need all the prayers i can get now. I will never understand why it is so hard to find a psychiatrist/physician in north carolina willing to continue my treatment as is. Its simple, they see me once a month, get paid cash, talk to me for a bit then write out the 3 prescriptions ive been on for 5 1/2 yrs and see me again next month. Thats not much but it has enabled me to be who i am today. If i could go to Illinois to see the others doctor, i would. Or anyone elses but i have to try to stay within 2-3 hrs travel time in order to do it same day. Im just rambling now so ikk end here and hope for the best.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
julie48

How I wish you were able to fly to Illinois to at least see my sub doc. Ugh!! You'd get a month's script which would hold you over to possibly find a doctor. Here are some in S. Carolina. Check them out...Never know.

Wajdi Dbouk

605 East Greenville Street
Anderson, SC 29621
(864) 261-4350

Marshall Meadors, III M.D.

2000 East Greenville Street
Suite 1600
Anderson, SC 29621
(864) 226-9193

Farah Khan, M.D.

TriCounty Mental Health
207 Commerce Avenue
Chesterfield, SC 29709
(843) 623-2229

I googled suboxone docs in s.caronlina, there are tons. Google N. Carolina as well. These are just a few. Good luck. Julie
Unread 10-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #21
pch682000

Default yes a doctor can cut you off for no reason whenever he wants

i seen a sub doctor for 4yrs & he sent me a letter in the mail stating he couldn't see me anymore i never missed a appointment or failed a drug test always on time when I asked him in February for a taper plan & was denied of one & 5 months later he sends me a letter crazy so I tapered down on my own thank God i did but yes a doctor can just cut you off for no reason at all I tried calling the doctor to ask why he did this he never spoke to me a.. all my letter said was he had conserns & our patient doctor relationship was based on trust i have no idea as to why this happened he had me on 2 subs day for 4 years an to not ever fail a drug test this has me very confused i feel he just didn't like me I guess only thing I know is maybe his staff got tired of sending my prior authorization to the pharmacy & to my insurance to get my meds other than that I paid 150 every month an he worked with me so I could come in then I could do skype for 2 months an see him on the 3rd month
pch682000 is offline   Reply With Quote