Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #101
mkiml

Hi Mary! Thanks for the welcome! Oh yeah...I meet with my doctor every wekk right now and then every two weeks after 30 days and then every month. I get tested every week for drugs until the thirty days are up. He wants to make sure i am dedicated to this treatment. Anyway, this past monday I told him how it was going and that I was still thinking about using, so he bumped me up to two tabs-16 mg's-a day. It actually has made a difference. I really haven't been thinking about using heroin again in the past few days. I think he finally understood how much of an addict I was and still am!!! I mean I was using VERY heavily before I went to rehab.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mary

Hey mkiml, welcome! Did you tell your doctor about the cravings? They might be able to do something about that by adjusting the dose a little for a bit, and then go back down to 8mg. Congratulations on your feeling well. Except for the constipation. Try the stuff they wrote about, especially what Caroline says. She's a prescribing physician, one of our resident experts (even though she'll be mad I called her that again!) It's nice to have another voice here.
-Mary
mkiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #102
Jake

mkiml,
I and many of the people I was in treatemnt with found 16mg to be the dose that stopped the cravings, although some people did it with less and others needed more. My doctors tells me that many patients asked to be reduced after a while, and that's what happened to me.

davel,
how did your appointment go?
Jake
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #103
davel

Jake It was a long day. I was given 8mg today and the same for the rest of the week. Then I will go up to 16mg. I do not have cravings now. I feel very tired though. I have to go back at 9am tomorrow to continue treatment. I am glad I have started my recovery. I wish I would have done it sooner. It is funny not really even thinking about drugs right now. Its going to be nice have a few thousand dollars in my pocket that I was spending on my stuff every month. To anyone who is considering this treatment, go for it. I believe it is my best choice I have made in a long time. WIll post again soon as thing change. God Bless.
davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 01:08 PM   #104
Phoenix

can you elaborate on the "tired" feeling? Is it a weakness, or just being tired from the stress of withdrawl and then beginning treatment?
Judy
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #105
davel

I believe it is just from the emotion. I recieved another 8 mg today and feel wonderful. No cravings at all!!! I am hardly even thinking about them. I slept well last night and woke up feeling like a new man. So far I am very impressed with the treatment. I go back to the Dr in 1 week. If anyone has any questions, please ask.
davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #106
gwen

davel, glad everything is working out! are you getting counseling also? i found it helped a lot. peace- gwen
gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:21 AM   #107
angelo212

Your ready to get off and I just started yesyerday. I can't take the anxiety. I went to the doctor I got the suboxone from and he gave me xanax. Everything on the net says not to mix the two. I just took one mg of the xanax though. I can't handle the anxiety.
angelo212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #108
Jake

They call it a buprenorphine fatality if at the tim eof death there is any buprenorphine in their system. So if they take their dose and get in a car accident, its considered a buprenorphine death. The study about Xanax is a French study where patients where abusing many drugs intravenously. Most researchers concluded that the amount and combination of drugs without the buprenorphine was lethal, so the buprenorphine did not cause the death. Xanax, alcohol, opioids, and any other cns depressants, have a combined effect when taken together. If you are only taking low dose Xanax, it is perfectly safe. Hope that helps.
Jake
Unread 12-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #109
theatercat

Hi everyone, been taking 1 milligram of subutex twice a day, no side effects, no cravings. I would still like to know if I was so super irritable, earlier in the week because of too high of a dose or withdrawl from the oxys.
theatercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #110
gwen

theatercat, glad you're feeling better! i'm wondering if you were irritable because the dose was too high AND the naloxone in the suboxone was making you feel crappy and therefore irritable? along with the stress of wondering what/why it was that was making you sick?

anyone else know what it could have been?

peace- gwen
Unread 12-19-2005, 01:46 PM   #111
Jake

theatercat,
Irratibility is a symptom of withdrawal and not a symptom of too much Suboxone. Since the naloxone has no effect (other then nausea and heartburn in some)It was probably the Oxy withdrawal. Glad to hear the subutex is working now, and that such a low dose is effective..GREAT!!
Jake
Unread 12-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #112
Phoenix

I have a question... If you are on Suboxone, can you go back to Subutex interchangably? Tony's new doctor is going to start with Suboxone, he has 10 Subutex tabs left, can he use them just to use them up? Maybe his doctor will trade him Subutex for Suboxone, we are paying cash for scripts. LOL
Judy
Unread 12-21-2005, 11:05 PM   #113
Mike

Yes they can be interchanged, his body will not know the difference and there is no interaction. He could tell the doc he has them and have less prescribed to save money.
Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #114
Phoenix

cool thanks, I'll be sure to mention it to the Doc on Friday.
Judy
Unread 12-30-2005, 10:59 PM   #115
theatercat

Has anyone had ringing in their ears with Subutex? Also any input for getting rid of constipation, other than stool softeners and alot of water.
theatercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2005, 12:32 AM   #116
dodo

The constipation was a real problem for me in the beginning. I hadn't realize how long it was before I had gone. I ended up having to take a Womens Laxative and more than was recommended for two nights in a row. That was on top of eating prunes every chance I had. It must of worked though because since then I've been alright. I do take an occasional stool softener and drink water. Hope this helps.
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #117
VIPERFPG

HELLO TO ALL, & OF COURSE TO THE PEOPLE WHO A FEW WEEKS BACK WERE SO WONDERFUL IN HELPING ME GUIDE MY JOURNEY THRU MY ADDICTION.
I HAVE NOT WRITTEN IN A FEW WKS--[u]A QUICK RECAP</u>--I WENT ON SUB--DID WONDERFUL AND HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY DOC--AND HIS TAPER PROGRAM, [u]NOW A BRIEF RECAP, SINCE MY LAST POST</u>---OKAY I DID THE QUICK TAPER WITH MY LACK LUSTER DOC, AND WAS STILL HAVING CRAVINGS,DEPRESSION ETC, AND AFTER PAYING FOR MY IOP PROGRAM THRU MY INS OF MORE THAN [u]9,600.00</u>, HE THEN INFORMS ME THAT I CAN TAPER LONGER AFTER ALL--HOWEVER I WOULD HAVE TO BRING HIM ANOTER [u]3,400.00 (IN CASH)</u>IN ORDER TO DO THIS---SO NEEDLESS TO SAY MY DOC AND I HAD A PARTING OF THE WAYS, SO I THEN WAS FORCED TO JUMP OFF OF A 2mg PER DAY SUB---I DID OKAY FOR APPROX 2 WKS, AND THEN THE CRAVINGS COUPLED WITH SOME EMOTIONAL BAGGAGE, ETC I RELASPED, FOR 2WKS, I FINALLY DID FIND ANOTHER DOC WHO WAS NOT CONNECTED IN MY AREA TO ALL THE OTHER DOCS..I AM NOW 2 DAYS CLEAN AGAIN!!! I DO HAVE TO DRIVE 21/2 HRS AWAY---BUT MORE THAN WELL WORTH IT, AS YOU ALL KNOW---MY NEW DOC, IT TURNS OUT IS A TRAINER FOR SUB PROGRAM IN THE SOUTHEAST---HE WAS APPAULED AT MY PREVIOUS EXP. IN THIS PROGRAM, AND HE THINKS THAT PART OF MY FAILURE WAS THE WAY I WAS FORCED TO COME OFF OF SUB AT 2mg PER DAY--I DID TURNOVER ALL PAPERWORK TO HIM ABOUT MY PREVIOUS DOC, AND THE COST ETC..I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE WANTS WITH IT--BUT HE SEEMED TO BE TRULY IN SHOCK AT MY PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE..BUT ANYWAY I AM BACK ON THE PATH TO A NORMAL LIFE. I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE WORDS OF ENCOURAGMENT AND SORRY I HAVE NOT WRITTEN, BUT I FELT SO DISCOURAGED AND SORRY ABOUT THE RELASPE--BUT FIRST AND FOREMOST I KNEW THAT ALL OF YOU WOULD BE DELIGHTED TO HEAR THAT I HAD FOUND A NEW DOC AND I AM BACK ON TRACK--I PRAY THAT EACH OF YOU HAVE HAD A GREAT CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR.
CAROLINE,GWEN, AND OF COURSE DR WILL...THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH, AND TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE RESPONDED TO ME WITH SUCH SUPPORT AND HELP THAT I HAVE NEGLECTED TO MENTION---KNOW THIS--I MENTION ALL OF YOU IN MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS--AND AGAIN TO ALL--[u]GOD BLESS YOU--AND THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART..</u>
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
AND HUGS TO ALL
DON'T GIVE UP---NO MATTER WHAT THE BURDEN---KEEP PUSHING
HOLD ON------AND PUSH AHEAD..
VIPERFPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #118
gwen

penny! i'm so happy to hear from you again! i had been hoping to hear from you over the holidays - and i was hoping that everything had worked out with the doctor and you were just really busy. i am so sorry about the troubles you had with that terrible doctor, but am grateful that you found a new one and are back in a good place for yourself. happy happy new year. hugs back to you! gwen
Unread 01-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #119
heidi

gwen- i just wanted to say hello because i believe i live near you (somewhere!)...i just moved up here, have a great job, great home, and have spent almost everyday calling doctors, trying to find anyone without a waiting list b/c i never want to use again (heroin for years). i've tried to kick for what seems like a thousand times, spent 4 months in rehab, picked up again, found this miracle medication on the street and have been relying on it *only* but supply is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE and irregular. i can't afford even a day sick b/c of the new job, it's an absolute nightmare but i'm convinced that if i don't pick up somehow everything will work out ok. i hope so anyway. heidi
heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #120
gwen

hi heidi, welcome! are you around the boston area? i know my doctor is at his limit, so i can't help there. just keep calling. and the list on the patient/dr gets update all the time, so there may be some new ones too. keep positive, i'm hoping you get an appointment soon. peace- gwen
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #121
leeglegle

Viper:

What a story! You've displayed such courage! You and your insurance company were ripped off of so much money!

Bottom line. You know you're going to succeed this time. Isn't sober, undepressed life great?!

Good to hear from you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
All the very best to you. You deserve it.

Robert
leeglegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #122
heidi

thanks, gwen. yes, i'm in Boston. have a mysteriously vague appt this afternoon. keep your fingers crossed!

heidi
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #123
leeglegle

I'm noticing a fairly consistent theme here. There have been a number of recent posts telling of a bad experience with a quick taper and/or short-term treatment.

There's a lesson there. Studies have shown that length of treatment is one of the greatest indicators of long term success. That doesn't mean that one has to be a sub patient forever. Quite the contrary. Others have posted about a dosing guide and a taper guide.

Whoever has those references, please post it once again. Thanks.

Robert
leeglegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #124
gwen

oh good heidi, let us know what it is! i was going to suggest that you might call McLean Hospital in Belmont to see if they have an outpatient program. 617.855.2000.

http://www.mclean.harvard.edu/

i have my fingers crossed for you heidi! peace- gwen
Unread 01-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #125
heidi

thanks, gwen. i have to say I am being cautiously pessimistic. the fact that i even got an appt gives me some hope. enough to stave off panic attacks for an afternoon, anyway.

if this doesn't fly, I will definitely check out the place you mentioned.

god, I just hope nobody at work can go through and figure out exactly what the hell it is i'm up to (via insurance records). but i definitely can't afford cash - one doctor in cambridge told me it would take $1,000 for the first MONTH, and would not take insurance.

i'm sorry to offend any doctors, but that made me so angry. and to top it off what he said was "well, you know, for some people money is no object." Nobody I know, that's for sure. not after everything i've been through (and I mean that literally).

it continually blows my mind how much easier the govt makes it to do the wrong thing instead of the right one.

anyway, i'm off....

heidi
Unread 01-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #126
Mandy

Hey Everyone: I am new to this discussion board and found it researching sub. I detoxed from opiates and barbituates in a hospital on methadone, then transferred to treatment for 96 days. While in treatment I was asked if I would like help staying clean and was introduced to sub. That was 10 months ago and for the first time in 20 years opiates are no longer running my life. I have never used a discussion board such as this and have been trying to find my way around. Thus, I may need advice. Also, I can't find where I saw someone who posted information for tapering off the sub and/or how to use sub correctly. If whomever reads this posted this info, please post it again. Thanks to all, and I am so glad to know that I am not alone on this new journey in my life.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #127
heidi

hi gwen, everyone-

yesterday was a bust, but not a total bust, i guess. the doctor is new to town and apparently the waiting list is only 50 people long, and he said since regs have changed they will be able to move 30 of those people to their other center. he also said he hasn't decided how to pick who he takes next, whatever that means. i told him if i didn't get in somewhere soon, i was either going to use again or lose my job (tough choice, but if lose my job, i lose my insurance, and then i'll never get treatment) - he seemed to appreciate that but made no promises. i don't know how long time-wise 50 people is.

meanwhile, i have a huge committee meeting to get through today (i'm a legal assistant) and had the creepy-crawlies all night, slept (!) in like 5 layers of clothes...and my old dealer called just to say he's coming to town. AGAIN, so much easier to do wrong.

ok i'll shut up. if anyone really wants to know my WHOLE story, please email me. i don't want to waste space.

thanks & peace,
heidi
Unread 01-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #128
gwen

heidi, give mclean a call in the meantime. you never know. i'll keep my fingers crossed. and please feel free to post your whole story. alot of us have. don't worry about space. mine is here probably a few times when people have asked! i'm hoping that doctor will see the urgency of your situation and put you at the top of the list. peace- gwen
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #129
heidi

my story is basically this....
i have had severe clinical depression since childhood but somehow managed not to pick up anything but cigarettes until i was around 27, then entered a very abusive relationship with what turned out to be a dealer (not dope), lost custody of my only child, lost home, lost everything. stopped using, six months later went to a party and did what i thought was coke, turned out to be dope, and i was completely hooked from day one, two, three, whatever.
spent the next four years in and out of detoxes and rehabs (too many to count) trying to get clean because i hated being a slave to the dope. hated it. made me do things i would never in a million years believe i would do.
ANYWAY, last stint in rehab lasted 4 months, stayed clean for about 2 after that.
managed to hang on to job long enough to get another one here before first one fired me. this is my DREAM job, i am finally close to my daughter again in a nice home and i will not lose it all again. if it starts going down, i have the suidical tendencies to deal with, so everyday is like hell on eggshells.
which is why i am so desperate to get into a program. i know from two weeks of being on this medicine that it WORKS where nothing else has.
anyway, wow, my life in a nutshell is pretty damn depressing. haha. glad to be able to laugh, anyway.

peace,
heidi
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #130
dodo

heidi,
It looks like Gwen is helping you. All I'd like to say is, Please keep calling around to other doctors, even it means you have to drive a ways. I feel really bad for you guys that have not been able to get into a doctor pronto. My thoughts are with you and Good Luck!
Doris
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #131
gwen

heidi, life will get better, stay strong until you can find a doctor - i know, easier said than done. just think of all the good things going for you now. dream job, close to your daughter. i just talked with a friend of mine and a doctor that he saw at mclean (he was inpatient for a little bit) a few years ago, was dr. matthew or mark bernstein. he thought he also had a private practice in newton or wellesley or something. sorry to be vague, but he couldn't remember the details because he went to a different therapist when he got discharged. thinking of you... gwen
Unread 01-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #132
dan sewell

Hey Gang,
This is my first post to this forum, but I can assure you that I fit right in with the protocol. Mine is not an unusual story, as I know that you have either experienced it personally, or, know someone who has had. I could tell you a heart breaking history that includes some extreme behavior, and consequences, brought on by my addictive nature. A life I've often wondered if was worth living, and continually considered ending in order to stop the emotional torment. I'll try to cut my story down to what is
pertinent.
Pretty heavy introduction--huh. I only feel comfortable being candid and forthright, because I know I'm amongst friends who can relate on some level (hopefully not as severe). Lets just say that from a very young age something was terribly wrong in the way I perceived life, and depression/addiction have been my lifelong companions. I only have put this dual diagnosis concept together in the past year or two-perhaps needing to go through this series of life experiences in order to come to my present state of comprehension.
Fortunately, I have the best parents in the world who have been very understanding, and who have helped me in all manners of seeking help. If it were not for them, I would've expired years ago. They have encouraged me to seek help, and stood by me when the going got tough. (this is starting to turn into a novel).
Twenty plus rehabs and institutionalizations....All in the name of addiction. Extended "vacations" at the Gray Bar Inn as a result of "criminal" activity ( I'm a good person, my crimes all drug related, not stealing or violent).Scores of Psychiatrists and counselors. Years in and out of the smoke filled rooms of AA/NA. Attempts to find religion, self help books, new age/ old age philosophies. Every known combination of psychotropic drug known to man.So many failed attempts, when I've had the best intentions of remaining clean. Any of this sound familiar???
What I've finally come to realize is that my depression drives my addiction, a fact that I have had to force down the throats of those who supposedly know about addiction. Every damn one of them has worked on the premise that everything would be dandy when I stopped using, and then some counseling and a dash of antidepressants to fix me. It just hasn't worked, depression leads me right back to the strong stuff.
The closest non-addictive drug that has worked is Wellbutrin, but has still paled in comparison to Suboxone.I am only taking 1-2 mg(I say 1-2 because I have to divide an 8mg pill in order to stretch out my limited supply) of Suboxone daily, and even skip days because of it's long lasting effect.Technically I'm (my doc knows Im taking less than prescribed) "detoxing" but figure I'll be coming off the stuff for as long as I can figure out a way to keep a supply.Is this abusing a medication? Am I a criminal? I don't even feel the Sub as much as 90% of the antidepressants I've used in the past. I feel like I can actually function and be a productive member of society--something that has not even been an option for soooo long.
The bottom line is this: I can get a near endless supply of Xanax, Loritab, and more at my local Dr. office (they love to see me coming) with the dial of a phone number (but we all know where that will end up), but I cant use Suboxone in extreme moderation with no desire to double dose. You know, I dont want to get high anymore, I just want to live a semi productive life without emotional torment. I bet you probably feel the same way. I hope we can help turn the tide.
My name is Dan, and I've finally found some relief.
Good luck to you all, Ill keep ya posted.
dan sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #133
heidi

dan -
i totally know what you mean. it sucks. nobody can understand that you're just trying to function like a "normal" person, not get high or go nuts and rob, pillage and murder. i've had the same (un)success you have with AA/NA, rehab, anti-depressants...and the same surprising results with this stuff. the fact that it's MUCH harder to get than heroin (it is) is nauseating. i mean, jesus, it has a BLOCKER in it. and yet they regulate it as if it will spawn satan if dropped in water.
anyway, thanks for sharing (as they say), it was really nice to hear.
peace,
heidi
p.s. i don't think you're abusing the stuff, but that's my personal opinion. it's medicine that is serving a purpose in your body to make you function normally, just like an anti-depressant should. if that's abuse, then one hell of a lot of people are drug abusers.
Unread 01-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #134
spanky

Dan welcome to the site.Here you will find many with stories like yours.It is true underneath every addict is another problem and alot of times that is depression.Suboxone seems to help many with this problem.I'm glad it's been the answer for you.If I heard you correct you may have to come off of it soon,sadly that too is a common story shared by folks here.I personally have never felt better but am already dreading the upcomming tapor.We are trying to work on getting the 30 patient limit changed so that those who need to be on this drug longer can be.There is a guy who posts here under the name leeglegle who has a background like yours you may want to read his post under depression.His phone number is listed there if you ever have a need to talk.Again welcome.............SPANKY
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #135
heidi

doris -
thanks for the encouragement. unfortunately i am car-less. mcclean was not helpful, unfortunately. they want a lot of time i can't give without losing my job. after 60 days at this job my options will be different. we'll see what happens next.
heidi
Unread 01-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #136
gwen

heidi, the only thing i can think of is trying any hospital that you can get to. see if they have an outpatient program. this is so frickin' frustrating when all people want is help and they can't get it because of an inane governmental restriction. i just don't get it. and there's senator tolman (in this area) who wanted to write a law banning oxycontin but they put no effort into lifting this life-saving, life-changing medication's assinine regulation.

sorry. off on a tangent. i'm done. peace - gwen

oh, sorry, dan! welcome! gwen
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #137
heidi

gwen-
some attys are considering a suit against the dea for making it so hard for people in severe pain to get medication. there are so many horror stories of doctors serving 30 years to life over scripts they wrote, and the way they get convicted is the dea threatens the patient with time if they don't testify against the doctor.
we'll see what happens. it was hard not to pipe in about THESE regulations tangent away, my friend!
heidi

p.s. i also really wanted to say how nice this group is - and it gives me something to do to look busy when all i want to really do is crawl under my desk and cry. it's so hard being at work, yawning all the time with everyone thinking that i must bore easily. more than once i've been asked if "i'm alright" and it sucks because i just want to scream NO, NO, NO I'M NOT ALRIGHT. but i just say "oh yeah, i'm fine" and run to the bathroom for some violent puking (sorry to be graphic).
Unread 01-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #138
gwen

oh heidi, i just feel so badly for you. just such a f'd-up world sometimes. and then with the people who need the pain meds. that's what got me when tolman was trying to get a law to ban it. and i was abusing them! but, when taken as prescribed, they do work wonderfully. especially for people in such severe pain like from cancer. i better shut up before i go tangent again... you can always tell them you have insomnia and didn't sleep. and that upsets your stomach. (if they ask about that.) worked for me when i needed it as an excuse. how much suboxone do you have left? it's just so stooooopid you have 'score' it on the streets. peace- gwen
Unread 01-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #139
heidi

i have none left. haven't had a thing since tuesday night (4mg, or 1/2 8 mg pill). i am losing my mind. my doctor is giving me free anti-depressants in the meantime. aargh. like that's going to do anything. plus i have to walk 8 blocks to get that, which u can imagine how agonizing that is, especially when freezing my ass off.
god, i really don't want to use, but i don't know how much longer i can keep this up. plus, i think i'm creating a bias against myself by going and telling him i haven't technically used dope in 3 weeks, only the sub. so he thinks i'm basically off the sh*# and it's nothing like that at all.
Unread 01-09-2006, 01:52 AM   #140
Robyn

(((((((HEIDI))))))))

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I have an online friend in PA that has obtained his Sub on the streets...is this a screwed up situation or what? From what I gather his DOC was H as well, and I really worry about him. He has been stable for one month and leading a productive life, working his job and staying out of trouble. He is now working on a rapid taper, he knows his days on Sub are numbered (not to mention what will happen if he gets caught, but then he never worried about the H either). Makes me wonder what the success is going to be like after he is off.

I know I sound like a parrot...but please, do not give up. Take 10 minutes a day leaving messages on addiction counselor's message machines asking if they know of any Sub doctors that may have openings. Hopefully, you have a cell number you can leave. You never know....all it takes is one last minute cancellation, where there is no time to notify someone on the list. You are in the fight for your life.....
Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #141
opiatedeficient

Yikes, I feel so badly for everyone who desperately wants suboxone but can't find a doctor. I feel I was so lucky in that regard. I first tried sub in the summer of 2003 for a detox. I called a doctor on the list, and they had an appt. for me the next day. After that detox, I has asked the doctor if I could stay on this for maintenance. He did not do that.

So I went back to trying to normal 12-step, group therapy approach and soon ended up commiting felonies every day, getting arrested, attempting suicide. I called another doctor that I had had a professional relationship with before, and begged him to let me come into his sub program. He didn't have an appt for a couple of weeks, but at least I had that planned.

I agree with robyn, please keep trying heidi. I also think the more you show each doctor's office that you are going to be a persistent pain the rear, the sooner they might try to fit you in! And as I'm sure you know, even if you have to drive 100 miles out of your area to get it legally, it's so much better than relying on the fickleness of the dealers in the streets!
opiatedeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #142
dodo

Heidi,
Please, please do not give up! Keep calling those doctors! Call more doctors even if not in your area, maybe with the help of God one of them will help you even if by chance they know someone in your area. Cry do whatever you have to do. I was too too lucky, the doctor I called the day I wanted to stop, got on the phone with me and saw me that day. I noticed robyn said she had an online friend from PA, I am from PA are you? Sorry if you posted where your from already but this board has gotten very busy and I haven't had time to catch up. Good Luck Heidi, please just keep calling!!!!
Doris
Unread 01-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #143
heidi

hi everyone -
well, great news, i did not give up, thank goodness...miracles have occurred and i am ok for now. still being a "pain in the rear" with most doctors...mine is great, though, i hope i get in through him. he sounds like he has really read up on the stuff and said he would not consider a treatment period shorter than one year. which is great, as long as that year starts in the next month or so.
angels have visited me, it seems! thanks for all of your words of encouragement. i just left PA!! but still have family there, fyi for whoever is there.
anyway, i am just so happy to be posting that i didn't use. i feel like a million bucks because i didn't. my boyfriend was joking that "these things should be popping out of candy machines on every corner". i had to laugh. thank you, everyone. just knowing you were here thinking good thoughts helped me SO much. it really, really did.
peace & love,
heidi
Unread 01-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #144
gwen

that's great news heidi! you were in my thoughts this weekend. congratulations on making it through! and your boyfriend is right. why is it so much easier to get the other stuff?? oh well. did your doctor give you any idea of when he might be able to start you? soon, i hope. peace- gwen
Unread 01-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #145
heidi

hi gwen-
nope, he has been *so* vague. all i know is that he has 7 open slots, the waiting list is 50 people long, the other center affiliated with them is supposedly going to take 30 off that list "soon", and he said he doesn't know how he will determine who he picks, but that he has a preference for people who he's actually seen and talked with, and that they won't let him do any new intakes for at least two weeks. (!!!) all i can do now is hope, pray, and bug him. he seems like a really good guy, though.
heidi
Unread 01-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #146
angelsoverme2005

hi everyone..just have a quik question and would appreciate any info. Does anyone take or know of anyone who takes suboxone for pain maintainence? There are so many people it seems that are detoxing from opiates and really need this med and can't seem to get it and I was given it for pain having no need to detox from opiates. Thanks for any input..... Y'all hang in there and God bless you
angelsoverme2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #147
purple

Hi angel and welcome I am taking sub. for pain managment
I have a history of substance abuse that i was honest with my doctor about it ,that is why i am taking it for pain
Did you indicate any thing to your doc. about concerns w/ other meds??
What else would you like to know??I am willing to help if i can
There are other topics here related to this
Pain managment [a few pages back] And bupernex for pain is another one you might want to check out
Talk to you soon
purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #148
heidi

Robyn -
all i can say about your friend is that i wish him all the best. i wish i had gotten more when i could - now i empty my account whenever i come across it. it sucks but that's pretty much my only option right now.
p.s. i grew up in suburbs of philly - did you?
peace,
heidi
Unread 01-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #149
angelsoverme2005

thanks Purple for answering my question. I stared sub on fri 1/6...8mg per day. I find it only gives me about 5-6 hours of pain relief. I was previously taking Tylenol#4 for about 14 yrs and was up to 8 pills a day. Of course this was not helping my pain and I was taking more on my own. My dr. decided that I needed something stronger and longer lasting and was going to put me on ms contin but then decided on suboxone. Over the years I have tried fetanyl patches,vicodan,morphine,oxycontin, along with non narcotics and ansaids. I would prefer to take the ms contin rather than this med. I dont like the way i feel , it gives me headaches, and evidently you can't take anykind of breakthrough meds. I also take klonopin 1 mg a day and zoloft 150mg a day and trazadone. Yesterday i couldnt get in touch with my dr. so I called the pharmasist to see if I would be ok if I took extra suboxone. It was ok . It is just not working for my pain and I have some vicodans but there is no use taking those because of the suboxone. I'm going to see dr. tomorrow and would like to try the ms contin. any advise?
angelsoverme2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #150
purple

Hey Angle
I am not quelified to give you advice although i will offer my opionion
You need to ask yourself some hard questions and be honest with your self.
HAs the tylanol 4 or other pills your taking caused you any conflicks so to speak
Are you getting them off the street?
Are you going to differant docs to get multipal scrips?
Are you missing time from school or work to get more pills??
Things like that or is your life centered around getting the pillss??
I relize you are in pain so Besides the pain issue Are these pills disrupting your life??PLEASE DONT BE TURNED OFF I am not trying to hit you over the head with a 12 step program or any thing LOL

it goes without saying that you are phsically dependant on them any one who takes pills everyday{narcotics] for years will be

Did you ask your doc.Why hes priscibing Sub??
Tell your doc. About the headaches and mybe he can switch you to subutex [same thing as suboxone without the naloxone]which may be causing the headaches

Mybe if you can tolerate the headaches ,its not a bad idea to stay with it,True you cant take breakthrough meds.At least you are giving your body a break from such a high tolerance to narcotics.

For me i get some reliefI also hace very bad episodes of breakthrough pain,And then i really regret getting on sub. But for me i am better off with the sub for my over all well being And while staying wu\ith the same doc. i am finding alternativee things for my pain Such as trigger point injections and phsical therapy.
What kind of condition do you have?? I have degenerate joint

If any of this sounds like something you can relate to let me now or other wise i would like to hear your opionion SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING
purple is offline   Reply With Quote